Open PvP or no?

No question avaiable to import.

• Total voters
If they do open PvP, i'd rather not see any artificial punishment or penalty in place. it would ba enough that npc's would refuse to do business with them and guards will KOS.

In a RP environment open PvP as long as the killing fits within Roleplay. A Pickpocket who gets caught, should be automatic consent. I hope there will be a way to prevent snerts from signing off to avoid PvP if they get caught. There should be a dueling area.

The Justice System. Will the constable come and carry someone off in irons and then they appear in the stocks? Throw rotten food at them. Public tar and feathering? Hanging? Banishment from towns?

Daax said:
Open PVP. If we're going to roleplay in this game to the fullest, then we have to accept that fact that an attack can come from anywhere.

I agree with this to a certain extent. The problem is that there are way too many people that would (and do) PvP purely for the enjoyment of killing other players. Not as a part of the RPG experiance.

Purely out of their abberant socio-psycho pathologic tendencies.

Then there is the issue that PvP almost always ends up being the provision of the highest level players. If there is open PvP the weaker/newer players will be preyed upon by the stronger character levels.
Surely some would thrive in such an environment, others do not.
What I have seen very little of, ever, is Role Played PvP.

We had some back on Chilastra, with an Imp Group that was one of our sparing partners. But it was by mutual agreement and sometimes by pre-arrangement. But that situation is in the minority, based on my experiance.
So... baring such arrangements....
Open PvP would have to be scaled in such a way as a stronger players couldn't take advantage of anyone below a certain number levels lower. Unless the lower level character initiates the combat. Even with that, there are always ways to get around restrictions and cause grief. Seen way too many people whose entire existance was centered around how they could be a more effective A-hole. Seems to be Human nature and that is a tough one to program around.

Eh you can't program killing out of humans. It's our nature, or so it seems according to so many bloodthirsty terrorist hating freeworld peacebringers that are out there.
I think keeping players seperated by content is the most effective way to keep players from being and participating in ganking.
Meaning, low level characters step into the turf of some tough hombres, then they're asking for it. High levels stroll into a lowbie zone, starts being a prick, then something in game should be done about it.
I think it's reasonable without trying to figure out a 10010010010010100110101 to fix how we just naturally act.

I have do not have experience with PvP with the graphics version. But still consent should be involved. In Gemstone, there are measures to ensure the "ass hats" who go around killing folks are handled. "Warn" which is lame. One should be able to roleplay it out. "Report" which notifies all GMs.

My issue with PvP is the following. Young adventurer, (cleric) roleplays and gets caught pickpocketing. The pickpocketer gets killed as a result of said crime. [This is fine and it should stop, but it doesn't]

The person who carried out said justice notifies all 5 of their friends and they bring their characters and kill the pickpocketer. [This is totally OOC BS] The original victim of the targeted theft then logs out and brings in their other characters and kills the pickpocketer. [again OOC BS]

:D Ya i guess we should have a level range that you can open PvP within, like you can't PvP with someone 3 levels lower or higher than yourself. To do like within 5-10 lvl stuff should be in Zoned:eek: :P

Zink said:
:D Ya i guess we should have a level range that you can open PvP within, like you can't PvP with someone 3 levels lower or higher than yourself. To do like within 5-10 lvl stuff should be in Zoned:eek: :P

So a low level snert steals from you. I guess your in game character will have to roleplay it as oh well there is nothing I can do. Not going to be tolerated by many.

Definately a dueling area with some level restrictions. Possible a small town where the law does not exist. Plenty of warnings before you enter.

Since there will be many server types I propose a Open Consent PvP area.

Que?!

Follow me.. If you join this server you should be warned that at some point you will PROBABLY engage in PvP action. Let's see what could be built around this model. Personal consent we all know about, /duel and what have you. Why not run with the whole guild vs guild idea? Or family vs family. It seems that there won't be too many urban areas in HJ to start with. So there needs to be some peace between the guild factions and what not, but competition would drive the various parts to tug at one another. Until it boils over and then a blood fued be considered. Alliances not only trying to kill one another, but frame. Sabatoge missions. Set traps..
Go all Capulet vs Montague if you get what I'm saying.
Maybe some PvP missions. Goals for various teams set up like races or scav hunts. I dunno, I could go wild with the notion of open but somewhat restricted politics. LoL

Luciro said:
Why not run with the whole guild vs guild idea? Or family vs family. It seems that there won't be too many urban areas in HJ to start with. So there needs to be some peace between the guild factions and what not, but competition would drive the various parts to tug at one another. Until it boils over and then a blood fued be considered. Alliances not only trying to kill one another, but frame. Sabatoge missions. Set traps..

I don't see why not. Factions versus factions as long as it is roleplayed. Sorry you can see I am a big Roleplay fanatic.

I really like Luciro's idea. It makes PvP in general alot more fun and less frustrating when your with a group (usually)

Unless your making that Uber PvP cookie cutter guild that is...

It wouldn't have my vote. But, I didn't like DR : The Fallen either.

Here is where his idea came from

DragonRealms - The Fallen

Crush Your Enemies...
Crush Your Friends, Too, If You Want

Sign up now!Experience DragonRealms: The Fallen, a new gaming experience based on the award-winning DragonRealms. Although the world and game may look the same at first, you'll soon see that life in The Fallen is quite different because there is virtually no GameMaster moderation or intervention!

DragonRealms: The Fallen will feature:
• No Restrictions on PVP! You can handle your conflicts any way you choose…but so can everyone else.

• No Restrictions on Scripting! No limitations, no rules...but if another player finds you, there's no one to protect you, either.

• Freedom of Expression! Want to tell someone off? Feel free!

• Un-Moderated Forums! Only subscribers to DragonRealms: The Fallen will have access to these private message boards.

• Premium Benefits! If you are a Premium subscriber, you’ll have the following benefits in DragonRealms: The Fallen: 10 additional character slots, extra vault space, access to the Premium-only shops and services, extra type-ahead line, and access to purchase your own home!

• A Fresh Start! Everyone starts on a level playing field with a brand new character.

The choice is yours! Have you got what it takes to rise to the challenge? To be the most powerful person in Elanthia? To crush all those who oppose you? To hear the cries of terror at the mere mention of your name?

DragonRealms: The Fallen -- play DragonRealms at the next level!

I'd play on a server like that but only when I'm in a certain down and dirty mood. I don't see why not. Maybe not all hacking a go'go but I don't see why there couldn't be a server where I could call some ret@rded dip sh!t du3b a5s too1 of a player. Then get ganked and looted and giggle all the while.

LearsFool said:
yeah, i wouldnt play on any server like that.

They prolly just made it so all the sociopaths who would otherwise be harassing decent players, would be attracted to it and congregate there to amuse themselves. =P

But yah, I don't like free PKing. It just gets abused by griefers. Being able to choose to participate or not is best, in my view.

Some people may say its unnatural to restrict certain freedoms in an MMO, but its like they say... that laws are made for the immoral, not the moral folks. If everyone played with honor, you wouldn't have griefing. But its not a perfect world, eh.

Yeah, it would be wonderful if we could play these games without the restrictions, but its painfully clear why they have to be there, unfortunately.

Back