Open PvP or no?

No question avaiable to import.

• Total voters
*blanches at the description* Who the hell thought that up? That's rediculous. It would suck to have OR play that kind of server.

I'd never play on it - but it could be a useful tool for policy enforcement. Break the rules once and you have to read and agree to policy again. Break them a second time, and you're given a short suspension (in addition to in-game consequences) and reminded about the Fallen server (maybe even a discount to move, at this point). Third strike and you can either move to the Fallen (full cost of transfer service) or be banned - your choice. This might be better than outright bans as far as revenue goes. Thoughts?

I think PK is a good tool to create drama. I've spent days sweating at my keyboard going after someone who did something bad to one of my "friends" (who I wouldn't know from Adam if I had seen them in real life). I felt it was great entertainment value.

However, it sucks when people only come online to ruin someone else's day.

To that end, I think it would be cool to institute some kind of quota for how many altercations you can be in. Or perhaps introduce increasingly bad consequences (ie: from NPC guards, to player bounty hunters, to player and NPC bounty hunters, perhaps even to divine intervention if the player is wicked enough).

I'm not really a big fan of PvP servers and I'm not really a big fan of care bear servers, either. But, if those are my only two options, I'll probably go with the care bear server.

-le yawn-
PvP can only be done well when it's open. Every other way it's either a minigame or can be taken advantage of. Faction vs Faction vs Faction is just as good as open PvP. There's just set teams then. Possibly unbalanced teams but then again conflict in real life, in video games, in MMORPGs is always the same.
Make up whatever rules seems logical on a message board one day. Fact is, it's basically an exploit with an excuse.
So obviously games just need PvE servers and possibly one with 200 rules ran by faux-Nazis to keep a certain crowd happy. I'd call it, The Foam Rubber Room. Which would keep everyone safe.

Luciro said:
-le yawn-
PvP can only be done well when it's open. Every other way it's either a minigame or can be taken advantage of. Faction vs Faction vs Faction is just as good as open PvP. There's just set teams then. Possibly unbalanced teams but then again conflict in real life, in video games, in MMORPGs is always the same.
Make up whatever rules seems logical on a message board one day. Fact is, it's basically an exploit with an excuse.
So obviously games just need PvE servers and possibly one with 200 rules ran by faux-Nazis to keep a certain crowd happy. I'd call it, The Foam Rubber Room. Which would keep everyone safe.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say here; but, what I want is just real life (tm) with the volume turned up a little bit.

:D

Luciro said:
-le yawn-

QFT

But I think even worse than that is people that join PvP servers and then they b*tch and whine because they were killed by somebody. I love heading over to the WoW servers and finding threads titled "@InsertNameHere" and after an essay of whining because they got "ganked" or something. And all of the replies are the same. "OMG! PvP on a PvP server?! How dare they!!!"

me and a buddy figured "why not" and made some toons on a PvP server on WoW. we were roommates so obviously communication was easy and we always rolled as a pair. it was fun sometimes. occasionally we would run across an alliance around our level and kill him cause it was usually 2 on 1.

however what we DIDNT like was when an alliance lvl 60 would show up and gank all the lower people. sometimes we would be stuck cause we couldnt turn in any quests. but such is life on a PvP server.

but that nonsense about no rules is not something you would ever see me do, like i said earlier.

I admit, I was for "selected/consentual", but if those are the choices, then no, PvP can go away. =P

PvP will 100% always attract the lowest common denominator if it's open in any way. Why? It's a place where, if you put your mind to it, you can really irritate the hell out of other people. Me? I try to avoid the stupids, so I avoid the PvP.

Why not server-PvP for me, then? Heh, because I've been stomped on by "balance" choices sheerly for PvP reasons that messed up PvE.

I know I'm not in a majority or anything, but -ugh-. At least half of all the PvP talk I hear about is about idiots exploiting the system just to irritate people and normal people trying desperately to avoid the idiots. It's... just... not worth open PvP.

I'd be for a select/consentual pvp system. Someone mentioned fate where your actions shape your character towards good vs. evil. I like that idea and to PvP you have to have a certain level of loyalty to one deity or another. The consentual part is actually having flags you can turn on and off, but the cool down to switch would be insane. For example, you can have your PvP on and when you turn it off, it takes 24 hours, 6 hours game time, or some other method for the flag to turn off. Same goes for turning it on. That way you can still have the interactions but still avoid people turning it on and off for stupid reasons.

I admit, I was for "selected/consentual", but if those are the choices, then no, PvP can go away. =P

PvP will 100% always attract the lowest common denominator if it's open in any way. Why? It's a place where, if you put your mind to it, you can really irritate the hell out of other people. Me? I try to avoid the stupids, so I avoid the PvP.

Why not server-PvP for me, then? Heh, because I've been stomped on by "balance" choices sheerly for PvP reasons that messed up PvE.

I know I'm not in a majority or anything, but -ugh-. At least half of all the PvP talk I hear about is about idiots exploiting the system just to irritate people and normal people trying desperately to avoid the idiots. It's... just... not worth open PvP.

unfortunately, you're absolutely right. I wish it weren't true and people would just do pvp for the sake of competition instead of aggravating others.

Back