Open PvP or no?

No question avaiable to import.

• Total voters
And in some cases... the ugly. No really, random killing in Fable makes your character butt face ugly.

But yea, I would be good with open PVP on certain days, so long as we get the chance to kill that one player who follows you all day with no clothes on.

Kuzzle said:
I mean, because you just know there are people out there who'd kill you just because they figured out that they could. For open PvP to work, you need a good community. Unfortunately, that's not something you can really predict.

Exactly, the community of MMOG's has changed too much for me to even consider doing open PvP or playing PvPcentric games.

Trillian said:
Exactly, the community of MMOG's has changed too much for me to even consider doing open PvP or playing PvPcentric games.

I agree completely. However, if there were some sort of creative (and hopefully in character) safeguards against being a total jerk in open PvP I'd be up for it.
One idea would be a bounty system which I've seen in some free games like TDZK.

An aggrieved player or his family/guild/house could post a bounty against an offender. The "wanted notice" would have to state a legitimate grievance and tell what conditions would fulfill the bounty.

Example:
"The Wizard/Ranger "Gate" is wanted on charges of excessive griefing and unbecoming conduct. The Guild "5th Dragon Alliance" has offered a bounty of 500 silver for retribution."

This way, even low level players could turn to others to help them out. There would even be bounty hunters who would do it just for the thrill and reputation, if not the money.
Obviously there would need to be some sort way to monitor the completion of the bounty. Even if it were just a notice of who is pissing people off and there was no reward I think I'd be useful. Monitored so not to be abused, but useful.

People are always going to find ways to be jerks no matter what types of system is in place. I mean we all deal with it everyday in RL and its a shame we deal with it in games but unfortunatly its a reality.

This is one of the reasons I enjoy open pvp. If a player feels like being a jerk it gives me one option of dealing with it. Also I absolutly hate people that ks just to be immature punks. So open pvp gives you an option as a player to deal with it on your own.

Now in a perfect game it wouldn't be necessary since no one would try to be an outright butt head. But no journey is fun without an antagonist I wouldn't have something to strive for in some cases.

But with what nav had stated earlier there has to be a checks and balances. I would even like to see a cap where as a person 10 levels lower then you, your not able to attack unless attacked first. I hate grievers and this would limit is somewhat.

Something that would be kinda cool to see would be a Damage to level balancer.

AKA, if a lvl 60 walks up and stabs a lvl 10, its the same as if the lvl 60 was a lvl 10 using the same move on another lvl 10. Would make fights abit more fair.

Good idea? No. Worth posting? No. I did it anyway? Yes.

WatchMaker said:

AKA, if a lvl 60 walks up and stabs a lvl 10, its the same as if the lvl 60 was a lvl 10 using the same move on another lvl 10. Would make fights abit more fair.

How would it balance it though. Ok the lvl 60 hits like a lvl 10 but then still has 10billion more hp's then the lvl 10. Unless you mean so the lvl 10 can get outta there and the lvl 60 doesn't one shot him/her.

WatchMaker said:

I don't care for this. Let the lvl 60 one-shot the lowbie.. Then let him get hauled away to a dungeon to have to sit for multiple RL hours in a jail cell and pay a hefty fine for murder.

Now THAT would be brilliant - people should have some serious repercussions for "crimes" of that nature, and yes, real time consequences, not just "I'll log onto my alt and play till I can come back" sorts of things.

I sort of miss the open PVP servers on UO and EQ now. LoL Just thinking about all of this. Ahh well, everyone will think they have a system to solve it but I believe what was mentioned by cordy will always be true.

People are jerks. They are, just let them be jerks. You can't control it other than forcing them to die. In a game it's satisfying to do so, in real life it's a messy law suit.

Luciro said:
Ahh well, everyone will think they have a system to solve it but I believe what was mentioned by cordy will always be true.

The point is it didn't used to be true. I remember the days when if someone did typical griefing behaviour in old EQ their reputation was ruined in 24 hours. It was just Not Done. Now move-logs are par for the course for people who are jerks because gaming companies would rather they kept paying to play than getting rid of them (and that's the real reason, not because it's "too difficult to get rid of everyone who greifs"). There is nothing satisfying for me for killing someone in a game because it proves nothing other than someone else can press buttons faster, not that anyone is a better or worse person - and PvPer seems to be a moniker for "sore loser" as it's never a final word.

Give me some actual repercussions in a PvP world and then maybe I'd consider it, as "PWNED!!!! lol /spit/spit" isn't a victory.

Trillian, a lot of games now do have reprecussinos for dieing in a PvP battle, even if non-consentual (sp?). In Lineage 2 for example even if you were killed a low level individual, and he didn't attack you, he may still drop his items. Thats a bit more than /spit /spit. At times though it was out of control, you could actually drop months of farming, grinding, etc in one death.

There's never been actual laws that stopped folks from acting like doofus', so there'll never be an in game system to stop them as well other than example. Example, I've never really had a horrible open PvP experience when playing in WoW on my servers. Twisting Nether / Maelstrom. I lost fights but there were many times higher levels would hit me and laugh at me when I tried to hit back, then I'd move a long. There wasn't so much ganking as it seems folks like to claim there is.
Maybe it's just how I approched the situation that brought out the fun from folks, but ahh well?
Needless to say, what I know of DR and it's system and PvPing from other mud games I feel it could be translated into HJ and indeed be open and at times cruel, but fun. I'm not really an item minded person. I liked how in Shadowbane you could get great armor and weapons and indeed lose them in battle from either theft, being looted, or even breaking from wear. What did I like about it? The fact it brought real emotion into a game that was pretty substandard even for it's time. I wanted to hunt people down, find my item, or at least tear up their house / city. I dunno, if all I have to measure my game with is how long it took me to find some nonexisting item then I think that's a flaw in game design.

Open PVP. If we're going to roleplay in this game to the fullest, then we have to accept that fact that an attack can come from anywhere. Anything can happen. Maybe after the game launches, some thieves decide to band together and become famous for plundering unsuspecting towns. Who knows? That's the excitement of it!!! :D

I'm tired of the same old droll pvp and everything else in other MMOs. Surprise me! Give me an adventure.

Not necissarily zones, but I liked the punishment system in DR where if you killed someone in a city or town or performed some other misdemeanor you were fined and put in jail/stocks for a long period of gametime.

i find consentual pvp to be most satisfying.

Without some form of permadeath, open pvp is just a form of harrassment. If the game is going to have permadeath, then i would like to see a open pvp server.

If there is permadeath and a PvP server, I'll create a character there for the challenge and the fun... but no way will I consider it my main character.

Depends on how main a character could last if I'd consider them my main or not. But seriously, what is death in a MMO really needs to be studied before a permadeath feature would be allowed.
I think as long as someone knew the risks and wanted to gamble for some big rewards then the option for permadeath should be allowed. Like person vs person wagering, all the way up to family vs family or guild vs guild. That way you could wipe out your enemy. Then notice a result.

Exactly. If permadeath is an option, then survivability is an issue. In most MMO's today, PVP death can happen in a matter of seconds(excluding those MMO's with easy potion systems ex. SRO, RFO)

Sure pvp with consequences is great to me. You can kill anyone however doing so results is huge fines to your character and all items being stripped until the fine is paid. Murder should be always be an option but severly punished. It keeps the option open but makes you consider serious repercusions for commiting the act.

Back