Questions for Simu Dev's

I moved the question asking how much we as players would pay for a game as it wasn't a question for Simu, though still relevant. You can visit that thread here.

I'm not sure if this got sent, but my suggestion for Ranger Service ablities:
Instead of a speed buff, allow Rangers the ability to tame certain animals, that after being tamed could be used by players as pets and/or mounts. Now, not all animals could or should be tamed. Some would not have the intelligence, or would be too intelligent. However this would provide a real Service to players and would afford Rangers with a viable way to make money on par with other Classes ablities. This would also provide a way of player getting mounts that would make more sence. Higher lvl Ranger would be able to tame higher lvl pets or mounts. Possibly have NPC's sell basic mounts as well (too keep the market controlled) or create a crafting segment for breeding mounts. ALot of stuff here, but there are some really unique aspects, and I think it makes more sence than lowly speed buff, as a Service Ablity. Keep the buff, but give Rangers something a little better than that.

Morneblade said:
I'm not sure if this got sent, but my suggestion for Ranger Service ablities:
Instead of a speed buff, allow Rangers the ability to tame certain animals, that after being tamed could be used by players as pets and/or mounts. Now, not all animals could or should be tamed. Some would not have the intelligence, or would be too intelligent. However this would provide a real Service to players and would afford Rangers with a viable way to make money on par with other Classes ablities. This would also provide a way of player getting mounts that would make more sence. Higher lvl Ranger would be able to tame higher lvl pets or mounts. Possibly have NPC's sell basic mounts as well (too keep the market controlled) or create a crafting segment for breeding mounts. ALot of stuff here, but there are some really unique aspects, and I think it makes more sence than lowly speed buff, as a Service Ablity. Keep the buff, but give Rangers something a little better than that.

This is a ranger ability in Dragonrealms, in fact one of the ranger titles is Wrangler. Rangers capature the horse and tame it then teach it some basics. Other classes have different thing they can teach the horse.

Other ideas for the "endgame".

Lets say you max your character. Suppose through your deeds, you get a summons from the leader of your Great House. You complete a series of quest related to your house (in the terms that they ask you to do such things) and volia, you get a knighthood (or whatever title your great house bestows) and you get an estate. Now, you have to MANAGE your lands, and they can prosper or fail under your guidance. Give it a system so that you dont have to log on every day, all day to be able to manage it, but if you screw around and neglect it, it will suffer. Maybe if you screw around enough you loose it through forclosure and take a faction hit at the same time.

Or be given a real reason to explore. Maybe let the GM's randomly place "cool" stuff in random spots throughout the game world. Kinda like a never-ending scavanger hunt.

Regular, global events. Yeah it's been done, but usually not so well from the games I've played. Political events, Houses backstabbing each other. Intrige. Huge sieges, battling thousands of bad d00ds from Mt. 1337. Or Pycho Hose-beasts from Ursa Minor. Something planet changing, and failable to a point ( we cant have it totally fail, no /gameover screen) and recoverable (through teamwork).

But for god sakes, MMO's are NOT mandated that you MUST EITHER RAID OR PVP. Hell, add a big nasty puzzle type event, where you have to solve this riddle etched in runes thousands of years old. Thing is, there are no rules, as to what we have to have in a MMO and what cannot be in one. Only expectations, and what we are used to. Start with a clean slate, and see what happens.

I'm still waiting for Cinnamon to reply to my last email before I go sending off any more questions :( So keep the questions coming, and I'll send more when she replies with some answers.

~ Jar

You're also welcome to ask your questions on the HJ forum. We have a few lurkers who would be happy to get you whatever answers they can :smiley:

<---- one of the lurkers.

1. Can characters be affected by good/evil choices? As in, can they obtain a good or bad reputation? If so, how would this change gameplay?

2. Will it be possible to steal items from other players/NPCs/Stores ?

3. Will guilds be able to import custom images for their symbols?

4. Is there any sort of flying abilities?

5. Can you sail a ship on the ocean?

6. Is there any possible way for me to get my own custom 3d model of a pirate trench-coat in game?

I think Hero points may be another term for reputation among factions. The three factions in HJ being Magic, Gear, and Nature.

Speaking of which, is there going to be some sort of neutral faction?

Also, has anyone heard of this suggestion or has it been brought up, the possibilities on natural abilities such as speed increasing as you grow stronger? Such as someone who hunts more and moves around more would be better in shape than someone who sits around at the pub drinking beer every day. For example, being able to run faster into battle against an opponent and just being naturally faster than players that arent as active. dont know if they are going that in depth.

I'll be more than happy to ask those questions to the Dev's... though I'm still waiting for Cinnamon to reply. Guess I'll hit up someone else over at Simu.

As for Hero's Points, no, they're not faction related. They are, or were, points you accumulated which you could spent on increasing/learning more abilities. However, I'm not sure if they'll stick around, as there's talk of odd things about Wyr being a replacement for sub-abilities, etc. We can get more clarification... and if someone knows the article, perhaps a link would help.

In regards to the factions, check out the Guild & Clans forum. As far as I know, there is no neutral.

If you'd like to ask questions of fellow community members, you may consider posting a new thread in below, and keeping this one on topic for questions for the HJ Dev teams & GM's.

~ Jaraeth

Here's is my burning question, as it will make or break the game for me:

Roleplaying. Yes, this is supposed to be THE game for roleplayers. It rewards roleplaying and if you're actually doing it, you're better off. But what happens when XSexx0rRougeGrrlX logs in, strips off her clothes and starts dancing saying "lol" every few seconds. Are we supposed to ignore it? Report it and then get irritated when nothing happens to the report? If this is a roleplay game, which rewards roleplay, will there also be penalties for people who show up with no other intention than to annoy?

((As an aside, yes, we know people roleplay differently. As horrible as it sounds, I'm sure there will be half-cat/half-human demon possessed vampires of the Sapphic persuasion - can't prevent that, as cringeworthy as it is. But the people who specifically have NO intention of roleplaying are the ones I get tired of seeing invaded rp server after rp server...and nothing ever happens to them. How difficult is it to move a non roleplaying character to another realm and set a "Cannot transfer back" setting to that character?)

Trillian said:
Here's is my burning question, as it will make or break the game for me:

Roleplaying. Yes, this is supposed to be THE game for roleplayers. It rewards roleplaying and if you're actually doing it, you're better off. But what happens when XSexx0rRougeGrrlX logs in, strips off her clothes and starts dancing saying "lol" every few seconds. Are we supposed to ignore it? Report it and then get irritated when nothing happens to the report? If this is a roleplay game, which rewards roleplay, will there also be penalties for people who show up with no other intention than to annoy?

You're assuming nothing will get done. Simu's track record shows that this assumption should not be made. People who step out of character in DR or GS are punished by the community, and if they go as far as you describe are then forcibly removed. Of course, those are games in which open CvC exists - I remember days where people were being blatantly disruptive in Icemule, they'd be bound and silenced in a second and left to stew in their own juices, unable to move or speak.

if that's the case, then brilliant! But since playing AB on EQ up to WoW the present day (and there's a good ten games in between then and now, I am shamed to admit), I have seen less and less enforcement of roleplaying in MMOG's, to the point where the moniker MMORPG stopped making sense. Right now, all anyone has at this point is assumptions, hence the queries :smiley:

How many emotes/verbs are currently in place? Have they been addressed as numerously and creatively as in previous Simu games? How many emotes/verbs currently have animations associated with them? Will there be a generic emote that allows you to create your own 'actions?' ie: DR's smile verb?

I type: smile wryly as he picks Daax's pockets from the shadows.
Others see: Navarre smiles wryly as he picks Daax's pockets from the shadows.

Back