Season 5 Rate: "Prophet Five"

What did you think of "Prophet Five"

• 5 - One of the best Alias episodes ever!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 - It was great!

• 3 - It was good

• 2 - It was OK

• 1 - It was bad

• Total voters
Well, I finally saw it.

It was actually very good. Loved how the leaked info made me think he was about to die a few times
and then he didn't....and then, later he did.

Classic.

For all of you damming the writers, look beyond you own fanatic attachment to a character:
It was well done. This was a great piece of serial fiction.

As to Vaughn being dead, I am actually 50/50.
Either he's alive and Sydney and Jack are in on it or he's dead.
Sydney not crying like a crazy fangirl makes plenty of sense. She may have just been too emotionally drained even for tears, too shaken, too broken. It can happen you know.

But yeah she might be in on the fix.

But, Vaughn maybe dead, dead, dead.
But who says dead is forever?

Prophet 5 may hold the key to bringing him back. Maybe the casket was closed because Vaughn's body wasn't in it?

Maybe it's in cryo storage, with the faint glimmer of Rimbauldi-esque hope held out that he could be brought back.
Maybe that explains the knowing glances between Jack and Sydney.
And if anyone can beat the odds and cheat death of a victory, its our gal Sydney.

And think of it- if Vaughn is dead, her 1st priority would have to be the baby.
She'd quit and just raise little Isobelle.
But then the show would be over. The only thing that makes sense would be her trying to restore her lost love and her daughter's father. Simple revenge or 'knowing the truth' wouldn't trump her responsibility or devotion to her daughter. But the prospect of bringing Michael back might keep her in the field.

So, everyone relax, breath deep.
And keep watching.

Wouldn't it suck if you all quit watching, Vaughn gets brought back in the season finale, but the show got cancelled because the rartings were too low?

*If that happens, the rest of us would then be officially allowed to hate you with the burning passion of a million fiery suns :D I keed, I keed! :P *

So yeah this rocked. If they killed Jack, I'd be way bummed. But I'd still watch.
Heck, if they killed Syd, I'd still watch, as long as Jack and Vaughn were there to carry on(and the writing waas good)
I love this show, I love the universe, I love the characters and the writing. No one thing will break it for me.

I do think that the new characters will be used to allow Jen to produce some eps on the other side of the earpiece when she gets too big to fit into the slinky outfits that disconnect bad guys brains from their trigger fingers.... :cool:

As to the matter of credits- Did anyone see Balthazar Getty? I didn't. was he in the background somewhere?

He was in the credits. But he is also contracted for the season, so he can/has to be in the credits.
I do know that sometimes, appearing in the credits is a anti-spoiler move, but there are rules on listing credits that equal real money.
Back in Babylon 5, many fans were angry because Claudia Christiansen was omitted from the opening credits of season 5 even though she was in the 1st ep. JMS, the producer said that if they had put her in the opening credits for the show, they would have been obligated to pay her for every ep of the season even though she was only in one episode. Don't know exactly how this would work in this situation, but given the fact that Alias isn't a huge show swimming in money, you can bet they won't be wasting any of it paying off MV just to keep you guessing for 1 ep.

Anyway, I'll let you all get back to the important business of crying, teeth gnashing, and pulling out of hair...
;)

There's no need to be rude about it!! I didn't say that I was gonna stop watching the show. Try to read things carefully before you jump down other people's throats. It's not personal, just people expressing their opinions. And I did enjoy the premiere, it was probably one of the best episodes.

I wasn't directed any of that at any one person. I'm talking in general. After reading reactions to the premiere, I felt like throwing up. I'm talking about the people who saw Vaughn leave and decided to come here and yell at the writers and the show and some even blamed Jennifer, and are saying it's the "Worst Episode Ever" just because a character died. Those are the types of people who need to realize that there are actual ALIAS fans here that actually ENJOYED the premiere for the amazing hour it was. And I hate people who just crowd up the boards with these negative comments about how they're LEAVING THE SHOW. LEAVE IT then. I can't tell you how much easier it would be for the actual ALIAS fans to enjoy the show without these damn MV-obsessers putting down the episode just because their hot little crush was killed.

So I'm sorry if you felt that was directed at you. It really wasn't. I'm talking more in general.

For the first time in more than two years, I am actually excited about this show.

And the new characters (who I thought I would despise) are looking to be the most exciting.

Something else about some of you people that are freaking out,Because MV is "Supposedly" gone,alot of you are going to "quit" the show!

I honestly don't understand that mentality...it is like throwing a juvenile temper-tantrum!
:angry:
It happened with the fans of X-FILES too,When Mulder was "abducted" and found "dead" in Season 8....and well he wasn't dead!
Vartan could be doing the same thing.
I really think that all you "QUITERS" should just watch and wait and see!
Just when ALIAS needs all the ratings it can get this season...you all just want to throw in the towel! GMAFB! :rolleyes:

Just had to reply when I came across this post, I totally agree that Vaughn (he is Vaughn!) is not dead. The obvious clues that have been stated... Just like when you go back and watch the scene with Jack killing Irina... I knew something was "wrong" in their interaction, "Irina" didn't act like Irina. And the clue she left about Nadia being Jack's daughter???? I have to believe tha J.J. and staff are leaving clues, if we can just pick up on them... Please J.J., don't put them there for nothing, they are there....

And to agree with sculder... we'ver seen it before.... Mulder never died!!! But pregnant Scully spent a season pregnant without him.

Vaughn will be back, just not right away, maybe at the end of the season...

Who was Jack talking to about extraction?? are we sure it was Weiss??? Maybe Irina??

someone mentioned something about there being two teams for extracting them from the hospital. what was that about? i dont remember that. can you guys remind me?

Well, I don't believe in God...so that argument really doesn't work for me ;) Anyways, you are 100% correct I did love Alias so much. But over the past few seasons that love has dwindled. And no it's not just because Vaughn was "killed off", this has been a long time coming, and Vaughn's death (and the entire episode) was kind of like the straw the broke the camel's back. Honestly I have a had time watching a show that I loved so much being ruined right in front of my eyes...and sadly that's what's been happening slowly after the second season, and what I feel will certainly happen this season.

And I do deserve this show to be great. I've stuck by it and supported it through everything, but I'm not sure I can do that anymore.
Fans are entitled to say things like that. Many, many people are really unhappy with the direction the show has taken, and they want the ratings to go down. Why? To make a point. To show the writers that we as fans aren't going to put up with this. And not just Vaughn's death but the writing/storylines in general. I think there are very few people out there (and I could be wrong) who think that Alias is the same quality show that it was 4 years ago. Sometimes the only way to get the attention of people in TV is for the ratings to go down, and then they realize the error of their ways.

I'm sorry you don't believe in God. He loves you anyway.

Many of these posts (including my two so far!) have been reaction to MV's death, whether he is really dead or not. But what about the other things in the show?
I rated this a 4 - it was great! because I thought it was wonderfully done! THe only reason I did not rate it a 5 is because I love closure and so I probably could only give certain episodes that give me closure a 5. But anyhow, I thought it was great and here are a few items that aren't just about Vaughn's death.
1. Dixon - I LOVED that he and Sydney had a strong friendship in this ep again. First when he told her he would do it all over again, he would give her the benefit of the doubt - and then he did. That was so great. (By the way, did he look different to anyone else? Longer hair maybe? Not sure... must have had something to do with his miraculously fast recovery from being shot by Elena and now he's fine!)
2. Marshall and Weiss - these two provide such comic relief, I sure am gonna miss Weiss! "Vaughn's my friend - we do lunch!"
3. Vaughn kicking butt - I LOVED watching Vaughn knock out those guys at the beginning. We rarely see this, because usually Sydney is the one taking the action in scenes when they are together. I really began to love Vaughn again when I saw him do this - he seemed like a real man!
4. Jack in the leather jacket - awesome, he looked so much less stiff and uptight!!!
5. APO - last season, their office really bothered me - it seemed to bright or something. But in this ep, the little they did show it, it seemed a little dimmer and more like home. Maybe I could get used to APO now.

Well im not gonna rant on forever, ill rant just long enough to say that was the best Alias episode ever! It had everything! Think of all the elements to the show that there were in S1, they were all there in Prophet 5! Just without the Vaughn killing, but you have to admit, they did an awesome job killing him, I have never cried to much in my life! October 1st will now be remembered as the day I cried HEAPS!!

Well im not gonna rant on forever, ill rant just long enough to say that was the best Alias episode ever! It had everything! Think of all the elements to the show that there were in S1, they were all there in Prophet 5! Just without the Vaughn killing, but you have to admit, they did an awesome job killing him, I have never cried to much in my life! October 1st will now be remembered as the day I cried HEAPS!!
You know what, I meant to write that too, so I agree with you - they did an awesome job on Vaughn's "death!" If indeed he really is dead (or even if he isn't), they took him out with a great bang. I am glad he didn't just die there on the train tracks. We would have had so little closure...

Ok, Alias is getting a bit reptitive, just because I miss the twists doesn't mean I want to see the same ones again.

Let me guess, that Rachel person that was working for the guy who killed Vaughn, doesn't know she's not working for the CIA! :banghead:

Actually half of me is interested...

After watching the end of the episode like five more times I have come to the conclusion that vaughn is actually DEAD. Every fact that I had come up with to support that they faked his death all went iut the window when I watch it again. Jack talks about extracting vaughn so I figured they faked his death to get him out but Jack say they are going to extract him within 24-48 hours which it diffintly wasn't. And I thinks the drink was just a drink. Last I think the reason Syd wasn't crying is she was still in shock.

I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that Jennifer Garner was listed as a Producer in the opening credits? I wonder if that was only for Prophet Five or if she is now officially a producer?!?

-kait

I thought this was a great episode but not the best ever
but it definitely had me on the edge of my seat when Vaughn
was shot...Wow that was truly heart stopping

I am one who doesn't believe Vaughn is actually dead and that
they probably faked his death. I also think Jack is definitely behind
it but I'm not sure if Syd knows. I remember Jack saying he would
do anything to help them and then the looks exchanged between
Jack and Syd.. They were either "we're up to something" looks or
if Syd doesn't know then the looks were Syd being distraught and
Jack knowing but not being able to tell therefore feeling helpless
Does that make sense??? It sounded good in my head...LOL
With these people thinking Vaughn is dead protects him as well as
Syd and the baby.

Anyway, as to how...well Jack may have brought him back the same
way he did with Sloane after his execution. I know it's repetitive but
they always bring back things already done in past seasons.

Of course this is just my opinion, but I do feel that whether Vaughn is
dead or not, people should still continue to watch the show.
When we first started hearing the rumors, my first instinct was to not watch
if there was no Vaughn...but I had time to think about it.
Although I really like Vaughn, Alias is not all about him.
If you remember, what made season 1 so great was because Syd had
motivation to seek revenge and bring down Danny's killers.
I think the writers did this to bring back that similar feel to the show.

We should all continue to stay loyal until the very end of this show that
we've come to love. I have a feeling if we watch close enough, JJ will be
throwing us some hints in the upcoming episodes. Remember, on this show
sometimes things aren't always as they seem.
Who knows...if we continue to watch, hopefully we'll be tuned in for that
one episode that Vaughn returns...I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!!!

i really hope vaughn isn't dead!!

but i was wonderin how can people from the cast over the summer said that vaughn death was a RUMOR i was curious b/c on the show he is currently dead. i personally belive that he isn't dead. but there are tons of things saying that vartan has left and his last day of shooting was August 17. so im jsut so confused. :thinking:

Well, I certainly never even thought of JJ doing a doublecross on us until I read that post! Thanks, I'm gonna be up nights wondering about this!!

Despite my concerns about the brilliant JJ possibly tricking us yet again...I am on the side of the theories that are pointing to the attention paid to the drink that Syd gave Vaughn and the looks that Syd/Jack exchanged...in other words, I think Vaughn's alive. Regarding the length of time between Vaughn's "death" and Syd finding Renee, I think that's purely b/c of Jen's pregnancy and needing to fastforward the show. Plus, as several people have pointed out, there are pics around that show S/V running together where Syd has an obvious baby bump, so that can't possibly be a flashback!

But then again, how many times have posters on this forum come to an agreement on where the show was heading, and then JJ's taken it in another direction that nobody guessed?!?!?!? Aaaaah! My head hurts!

In other comments on the ep, "We do lunch" just cements why I LOVE MARSHALL!! He's such a sweetie! And I loved the getting back to the friendship btw Syd/Dixon! I love the plot(s) of Alias, but I also love the character development!

All in all, I think that there should be some good watching this season!

YES!!!!!! Thank you!
if you are QUITTING the show....then leave! Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out!
The rest of us will enjoy the rest of the season without you!

That is very rude. I don't know what you mean by "leave", if you mean the forum then you must realize that this isn't only a place to talk about Alias. I think what some of you are forgetting is that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Would this disucssion really be that interesting if EVERYONE loved the premiere and was going on and on about how wonderful it was? Absolutely not. It's exciting and interesting because there are so many people with differing opinions. Some of you are insinuating that the people who are upset with how Alias has been lately are "bad" fans. That is certainly not the case. I've been a fan since day one. Own all three seasons and have season 4 pre-ordered. I own posters, action figures, magazines and other such Alias related things. When I got to college I made my schedule out to revolve around Alias. I am a fan in every sense of the word. In it's 4 seasons there have only been 2 episodes that I didn't watch right when they aired do to competing in swim meets. As crazy as it is to say, in some way my life revolved around this show.

Sure I loved the SV romance, but I loved the action. I loved the plot and storylines. They were genius...not like regular TV shows. The same quality show from seasons 1 and 2, no longer exists. Now it seems as though they are forcing things on us that don't make sense, and adding new characters out of the blue, after we've gotten used to the ones we know and love. For many of us Vaughn's death was the last straw. It seems that a lot of you who are in opposition of our opinions are relatively new to the board. If you had been here as long as some of us, then you'd realize that discussions about the direction Alias was taking have gone on for quite sometime. You'd also realize that many of us who are upset about Vaughn's death have mentioned before that they were worried with the direction the show was taking, and were afraid that we might not make it through season 5.

Like I said before...this shows a true fan...the fact that we care so much about a television show that we get really, really upset when we feel that they are screwing things up.

I'm sorry you don't believe in God. He loves you anyway.

I'm not! :smiley: If you want to discuss God, then the Serious Discussion forum is the place to do it. So for the fact that I've elaborated on my beliefs there, I won't do so here (and it is quite off topic).

I really liked the episode, full of unexpected events (even for a spoiler junkie as myself :smiley: )

Of course this is just my opinion, but I do feel that whether Vaughn is
dead or not, people should still continue to watch the show.
When we first started hearing the rumors, my first instinct was to not watch
if there was no Vaughn...but I had time to think about it.
Although I really like Vaughn, Alias is not all about him.
If you remember, what made season 1 so great was because Syd had
motivation to seek revenge and bring down Danny's killers.
I think the writers did this to bring back that similar feel to the show.

I very much agree with you.
Personally, I really don't care if Vaughn is dead for real or not, as long as it makes good drama. I almost hope he's dead for real, to make Alias a more realistic show, and for the good TV that will come out of it.
But it's hard to belive he's dead, since this is Alias where people always comes back from the dead. And the details with Syd giving him the drink and the LOOKS between Syd and Jack. I'm not sure what to belive.

Director Bristow. Woaw! This could be really really interesting....

THE PICTURES ISSUE - people are saying that they have hope because there are pictures floating around of MV and JG walking hand in hand when she is really pregnant. I don't want to burst any bubbles (because I don't want MV to be dead either!), but those have already happened.
Outsiders took those pictures - they are not production stills. They are pictures someone took as they were filming this episode, and when I just rewatched the premiere, I see exactly around the time these pictures were taken. Just after Sydney takes the watch to Vaughn, they show them walking down the street to go meet with Laman. They are wearing the exact same clothes as in those pictures and if you look closely at the very beginning of the scene, you can see that JG is definitely pregnant, they just tried to hide it. The picture we've seen of them coming through a doorway - they must have filmed that but just didn't air it in the premiere.
So sorry about that!
BTW, I still believe taht MV's death was faked though! I just didn't want anyone putting their hope in those pictures.

I see that a lot of people didn't like this episode, and that didn't really feel like it was alias. I thought it was really a good way to start of the premeire; get everyone all upset. I really truly don't think he is dead. When that dude just started shooting at Vaughn I swear to god my heart must have liked popped out of my chest for a second. You could tell that something bad was going to happen, like him getting shot, but I really didn't think he was going to get shot that many times. I was like flipping out when that happend. My dad told me to be quiet or the neighbours would think our house was some sort of crazy house. Please people who think alias was bad, and are upset that Vaughn is dead don't stop watching Alias. He will come back; we can't give up on Alias!

~Andrea :angelic:

I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that Jennifer Garner was listed as a Producer in the opening credits? I wonder if that was only for Prophet Five or if she is now officially a producer?!?

-kait

I had not noticed. Thanks for pointing this out! exec producer or just producer?

Back