The catcher in the rye
Jekyll and hyde
Kindred

Before 11th grade

A prayer for owen meany

During 11th grade

The great gatsby...so far

Oh for the days when the prescribed texts weren't 1000+ pages. :sigh:

Out of a burst of nostalgia here are some of my old English texts (that I can remember anyway).

Year 9
Romeo & Juliet (we also watched the older film version)
Dead Poets Society (we had films as texts how cool was that)

Year 10
Harp of the South :asleep:
Strictly Ballroom
Merchant of Venice
A Doll's House - Henry Ibsen(film & lit)
Alfred Hitchcock films (film & lit)

Year 11

Pride and Predjudice - Jane Austen
Medea - Euripides

I did English Language in Year 12, which was basically looking at English as a language, how it was structured, analysing differences between spoken & written language, etc so I didn't have set text for that, (although we had to analyse a passage from Chocolat for as part of one of our assesments)

Froggy

Hm... lets see... for my philosophy of human nature class, we've read Plato's Apology and Phaedo, and we're in the middle of Aristotle's De Anima. After that, we've got...
On Free Choice of the Will- Augustine
Meditations on First Philosophy- Descartes
Freedom from the Known- Krishnamurti
Minds, Brains, and Science- Searle

For history, we have a bunch of exerpts from this huge book (and I've already read a bunch of them anyways). Then there's the Letters of Abelard and Heloise, Machiavelli's The Prince (which I read in HS), and St. Augustine's Confessions.

Fun fun fun. I want some fiction! :angry:

i just read ' el burlador de sevilla' by tirso de molina
and now i have to read 'hamlet'
we're studying teather of the xix century, mostly spanish teather.
we also red 'mio cid' and we'll have to read the first 10 chapters of 'don quijote de la mancha'
(sorry, i dont know the titles in english)

I think I'll have to read Lord of the Flies next semester. How do I know (other than that this semester's class is reading it)? Well, my History teacher will be my English teacher, and she has a picture of a pig head on a stick at the back.

Frogboy_Lives said:
Oh for the days when the prescribed texts weren't 1000+ pages. :sigh:

Out of a burst of nostalgia here are some of my old English texts (that I can remember anyway).

Year 9
Romeo & Juliet (we also watched the older film version)
Dead Poets Society (we had films as texts how cool was that)

Year 10
Harp of the South :asleep:
Strictly Ballroom
Merchant of Venice
A Doll's House - Henry Ibsen(film & lit)
Alfred Hitchcock films (film & lit)

Year 11

Pride and Predjudice - Jane Austen
Medea - Euripides

I did English Language in Year 12, which was basically looking at English as a language, how it was structured, analysing differences between spoken & written language, etc so I didn't have set text for that, (although we had to analyse a passage from Chocolat for as part of one of our assesments)

Froggy
Wow, very interesting...

Yeah, my HS english classes involved films too.

You got to watch Strictly Ballroom in english? I'm jealous. We watched Dead Poets Society in english in 11th grade... it's my favorite movie ever, and I think only like 4 other people liked it. Everyone else thought it was dumb. :rolleyes: Non honors class...

AliasHombre said:
nance said:
I read two of those books for school!! woah! what a coincidence! haha i HATE animal farm... omg... it was the stupidest... boringest... useless.. piece of felgercarb! and The Giver! COME ON! Everyone's read the Giver!!!!! :lol:
Animal farm was a great book!!!
Animal Farm wasnt as bad as everyone made it out to be! We read Anthem by Ayn Rand and Great Expectations by Dickens...both were really good

man, i wish i had a short reading list like most of you, but then again, i don't have to read over the summer. :smiley: here's my reading list:

9th grade:
The Odyssey
Romeo and Juliet
Jane Eyre
Lord of the Flies
Medea
Antigone
A Wizard of Earthsea
To Kill A Mockingbird

10th grade:
Night
The Stranger (weird weird book!)
Julius Caesar
Les Miserables
Oedipus Rex
Dante's Inferno (excerpts from it)
...and that's all we've read so far this year, but we're reading a doll's house next and i think 2 or 3 other works.

I have to read Maniac Magee...it's quite easy to read....and now our Literature group is in trouble because we're almost done with the book and we still have three more weeks to read it!

this year i had/have to read:
Black Boy
To Kill a Mockingbird
Great Expectations- i switched schools and had to read this twice! i really hate that book!
Lord of the Flies- the title sort-of formed a impression that would not go away, so i hated that book!
Fahrenheit 451
Night

I had to read karl Marx Communist Manifesto
Then a bunch of assorted essays by various historians and other people in prominent fields, such as Freud.

The Return of Martin Guerre by Natalie Zemon Davis

and a bus load of essays on teaching and schools for my sociology of education class (I'm in an orientation to teaching program at university so I have to take this)

Then theres my assigned text books. I have sadly been neglecting them. And I feel like a really bad student. But on my midterms I got two 90s, two 80s and a 79...so I dunno that I really need the texts.

We just finished up To Kill a Mocking bird and were also going to be reading Julius Ceaser.

We also are reading now a book we could pick from this list that we got. The DaVinci code was on there so I'm reading that. it's really good (y)

As is typical (evil) freshman reading, I had to read Romeo and Juliet. I hate that book! It wouldn't be so bad if Romeo wasn't such a love-struck idiot! And I had to read Of Mice and Men and To Kill a Mockingbird. Just basically the old stuff. But those two weren't so bad.

so far-
The Odyssey-Homer
Julius Caesar- Shakespere
A Dream Deferred- Hansberry
and we're going to read Great Expectations and Mice and Men. :mellow:

Nance, I loved, loved, LOVED Great Expectations! It can be a little tiring in places, but i did like the book. Especially the parts with Miss Havisham and Estella. The plot's really interesting, although it is a bit of a long read.

and Patomac, I too, as a freshie, am going to be reading Romeo and Juilet later this semester. Tell me is isnt too hard to understand?

VaughnFan13 said:
and Patomac, I too, as a freshie, am going to be reading Romeo and Juilet later this semester. Tell me is isnt too hard to understand?
I wouldn't worry about understanding it.
Everyone knows the basic plot so it should be fine.
At my highschool our books had Shakespeare English on one side of the page and terms that we might not understand explained on the other side as well.

But usually you can figure out what they're saying.

Back