Shattered Hearts

Shattered Hearts

A/N: Okay, so I still have my other non-Alias story, but I will get on that one soon, but this one came to me. The first chapter is the beginning, introducing you to the characters, I have about 22 pages in Word right now, so if people like it, I'll post more soon. Let me know what you think! ;)

Prologue

Courtney Perez was your typical twenty seven year old woman; had the perfect job after years of working for it, was making a minimal amount of money, but didn’t care, she loved her job, and looking for the love she once had.

She lived in a double room apartment on the third floor of the complex, and owned man’s best friend, her English Springer Spaniel she had affectionately names Gracie three years prior.

She had enough friends, some she had know since they had been in diapers, some since grade school, some since junior high - her most awkward age - and some since the time of her life: high school. But most of them had come from her four fabulous years at New York University where she had studied to become a journalist.

Working for one of the top papers in the state, she had everything she could ever want, except for one thing: the kind of love she had lost ten years before, and desperately wanted to find once again.

-----

Avery Vincent enjoyed the life of a typical bachelor: various woman whenever he wanted them, mostly different each day of the week.

He owned and ran the most popular bar and nightclub in the city of Chicago, and enjoyed the monetary benefits of such a job.

He could have any woman he wanted, what with his looks and his money, every woman wanted him, but he was rather picky, and at this time in his life, certainly not looking for a commitment. He had been that stupid once; he wasn’t going to make that mistake again.

Not only did he operate his own business, but he also had his PhD, and was a certified doctor. But he didn’t like having to be stuck on one route for the rest of his life, he’d rather not know what he had to face from day to day, be unpredictable. Not have to show up to work if he didn’t feel like it, and have no one to answer to. He was the boss; he was his own boss. And that was the way he liked it.

-----

It's short I know, but if you like it, I'll post more soon! :angelic: :thinking:

-Nicole

[Chapter One]

-----

After a long excruciating day, a boss up her ass about a deadline, and various other people nagging her, Courtney was ready to just settle down, take a bath, have a glass of good wine, and read a good book, something she rarely got a chance to do.

But fate would not go her way today, this she knew the moment she looked at her mail.

It was addressed to a Ms. Courtney Perez, that was her first indication that it wasn’t something she wanted to read, but her second indication had to be when she looked at the return address, and saw the one thing she knew she never wanted to see again: a letter from Hollywood Hills High School.

Opening it carefully, she groaned when she actually got to the written part of the package:

Ms. Courtney Perez,

You have been invited to the Hollywood Hills Graduating Class of 1993’s ten-year reunion. At the reunion, you will be able to catch up with old friends and see what ten years time has done to the rest of the class. The reunion will be held in the school cafeteria of Hollywood Hills High School on June 14, 2003. Please attend and have fun. We’d like to know by June 4 so we have enough time to make sure accommodations can be made to fit all guests who plan on attending. If you would like to invite a guest, feel free, but be sure to include that information when you RSVP. Hope to see you there!

Yours truly,
The Student Government of the Graduating Class of 1993

Courtney groaned aloud, high school had been bad enough; she had hated most of her classmates, but to have to go back and see everyone again after ten years? No, that was torture.

She tossed the letter in the garbage as she walked in the door; there was no way in hell she was going to attend, she really didn’t feel like seeing all the ritzy, preppy snobs who had turned into even ritzier and preppier snobs with the perfect families: a loving husband, 2.5 kids, a dog and a white picket fence around their perfect home. No. She’d rather sit at home and write a new article than go to that.

But once again, today was not going her way, and as the phone rang, she knew she shouldn’t have picked it up, especially when she heard who’s voice reverberated from across town.

“Courtney!” Taryn Martin squealed. “Did you get the invitation for the reunion?”

Taryn was one of her oldest friends, they had known each other since the first day of high school when Taryn had been the new girl, and Courtney had befriended her. But her peppy attitude and child-like nature were something Courtney didn’t need right now, especially since Courtney knew Taryn was the only one that could convince her to go, and if she found out Courtney didn’t plan on going, convince her she would.

“I just got done reading it Tar.”

“And isn’t it exciting?” She squealed again. “We get to go back to the old high school and see everyone again; see what ten years has changed. Are the geeks still geeky? Are the cheerleaders still beautiful and living perfect lives? Or are they divorcees with three children they are forced to take care of on their own now? Everyone we hated and loved will be there, and we get to see them all again. Ah! I can’t wait.”

“I don’t know Taryn, high school was bad enough.” Courtney sighed. “But having to go back there now, when I’m just getting my life fixed up from the damage done in high school, I’m just afraid it will screw it all up again, and I’m happy with my life right now.”

“Avery will be there.”

At his name, Courtney’s head snapped up, and her eyes narrowed, but no matter how much she tried to pretend she hated him, she knew that if she saw him all the love she had felt for him ten years ago when they had both parted, heartbroken; it would all come flooding back.

“Taryn, I don’t know about that; I’ve just officially gotten over the fact that he broke my heart, I really don’t need to see him again, especially now, especially when I’m trying to pull all the shattered pieces of my life back together into something semi-livable.”

“Court, you know it will be fun, all the girls, we used to have so much fun together, and it will be a chance for all of us to get together, to hang out again, and to have some more fun. And what do you know? You could find someone that’s even more perfect for you than Avery, you just have to give it a chance.”

Courtney sighed. She had called it. Taryn would be the only one who could talk her into it. And talk she did. “Fine. I’ll go. But if anything goes wrong, I’m blaming you.”

“Blame away.”

-----

Back