Sci-Fi Star Trek Beyond (2016)

Tom

An Old Friend
MV5BMTYzMjA4MTE4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTI3Mjg0NzE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi | 22 July 2016 (USA)
Star Trek Beyond (2016) - IMDb

I like the more subdued color tones and lighting that Justin Lin is using over JJ Abrams. And no lens flare in every shot! :D

I'm not sure I get how Kirk gets his hands on a motorcycle if that isn't Earth. :cautious:

Watched this last night. Not bad at all.

At first I thought "wow, they finally figured out how to write Star Trek" the effects were spot on and the acting was remarkably well done. Then 3/4 of the way thru the movie it got dumb and we got the same ole same ole. I blame the writers lack of vision on that. I blame the marketing that thinks that we need to identify with the aggressor and justify their actions to sell movie tickets. The doomsday weapon had potential to be much more than what was portrayed.

Its like the writers, in seeking a grand finish to the movie, went stupid. Up until the last 3rd of the movie, the scientific concepts and portrayals of alien behavior promised something unique, then wham! Same ole same ole.

At 1/2 way, I recall thinking "This is how a Star Trek movie should be" then by the end I was sitting jaw-dropped thinking "what the hell were they (writers) thinking?"

The movie could generate massive amounts of speculation and discussion on a wide range of scifi subjects but most people will remember that piss-poor ending that everyone has seen play out time after time.

Just loved the eye candy and technology implications. Those alone make this film worth watching.

I agree, started out ok but I thought the ending was less than unique. All I will add is that I miss Gene.

I guess I'm starting to mellow out as I get older as I saw this one today and didn't think it was that bad. True, as noted above, there weren't that many real surprises in it but it was still a decent 'popcorn' movie.

How they handled Leonard Nimoy's passing was handled gracefully and the pic of the original ST:TOS crew was a nice way of acknowledging that, realistically, we're likely never going to see any of them in future ST movies.

On the downside I couldn't help but think about Anton Yelchin in the Chekov scenes; after seeing him in a few other movies besides ST he had a great future in front of him in acting and his life was cut short in such a senseless way.