Syd happy or Syd in pain?

Which makes ultimately better television?

• Sydney when she is happy.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sydney in pain.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

garnergarnish

Its the end of the World as we know it!!
I'm just interested in this. I'm sure we would all prefer Syd to be happy, were this real, but as television goes, which works better? Would y'all prefer to cheer :lol: or to cry? (n)

Personally i love to cry!!

I would definitely enjoy seeing Syd happy right now. It's all well and good when she's sad or angry, but I'm all about those rare happy moments she gets. ^_^

I voted happy, because at the end of it all, I would ultimately like to see her happy. However, some of her angsty moments have made for fantastic episodes. But not necessarily when she is crying over Vaughn (I have an aversion to that for some reason... :rolleyes: ).

I think she's had some great pain filled/angsty scenes with Jack and Irina that have been just fantastically written and acted, which made great television.

But at the end of the day, it would be nice to see her happy :D

Of course at the end of the series you would want to see her "ride into the sunset" happy. However, if she were to carry on through the series always happy, it wouldn't be very entertaining because it wouldn't make for much drama. If Sydney were happy, she wouldn't have any problems to overcome and there wouldn't be much drama. Would we be as involved if her missions had nothing to do with her family and her life? The fact that her life is intimately involved with what she is doing heightens the dramatic situation. And if, say, we pushed the angst onto other characters (say Jack) and Sydney was happy, it would be as though she didn't care . . . and that just wouldn't be Sydney.
;)

well when shes in pain she usually has to fight some bad guy and kick his butt, and then in the end she's happy, so bot are needed for good television

kinda liked both....but i opted for syd happy...
i'd like to see her also in pain sometimes...more spice for the show...
if she's always happy, i think it'd be boring...??? :redhair:

I just want her to be a normal person and take the happy with the sad. We got to see her really happy in some of Season 1's episodes, and those were great. And this season was all about pain. What we need is a balance. We need her to fight for what she desires most, to fail some of the time, but succeed other times. Such is the road of life.

Xin Li

This is a good illustration as to one reason why season 3 was so absolutely horrible.

In season 1 she was sad about losing Danny, angry at SD-6, hopeful about taking down SD-6, and sad, angry, but ultimately hopeful in her relationship with her father.

In season 2 she had both her mother and her father to be sad, angry, happy, and hopeful about and she was generally happy with Vaughn. She was sad about what happened to Emily, Will and Francie. She at least looked like she was making headway against Sloane.

Season 3 she was just pounding the same dark note. Other than a regressing child relationship with Jack (that appears to have blown up in her face at the finale) there was nothing but depression and doubt. Dramatic characters with any dimension aren’t written that way.

Like I’ve said before, whatever happens in season 4 I hope Sydney grows a backbone and determines her own path rather than wait for Daddy or the CIA or even Marshall to tell her what to do. Her character should learn from her mistakes rather than doubt herself or constantly mumble “Why didn’t I listen to myself…”.

Of course at the end of the series you would want to see her "ride into the sunset" happy. However, if she were to carry on through the series always happy, it wouldn't be very entertaining because it wouldn't make for much drama. If Sydney were happy, she wouldn't have any problems to overcome and there wouldn't be much drama. Would we be as involved if her missions had nothing to do with her family and her life? The fact that her life is intimately involved with what she is doing heightens the dramatic situation. And if, say, we pushed the angst onto other characters (say Jack) and Sydney was happy, it would be as though she didn't care . . . and that just wouldn't be Sydney.

Exactly. Of course, she doesn't have to be sad all of the time, but this show is a drama, and a script wouldn't even be considered without conflict in it.

Thta is hard. I hate seeing Syd cry but when she does I love Jennifer Garner's acting. But when Syd is happy that means she is with Vaughn and has friends adn I like the show that way.

MeganGarnerBristow said:
Thta is hard. I hate seeing Syd cry but when she does I love Jennifer Garner's acting. But when Syd is happy that means she is with Vaughn and has friends adn I like the show that way.
[post="989391"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

It is a hard thing to decide on but seeing someone sad is never that great. You are right in that Jennifer Garner can pour out the emotion, and she is great at it, but seeing her smile is much better. The actors and characters they play feed into that. So I have to go with seeing her happy since the show is more expansive then when she is sad. People are funnier, laughter helps any show.

Back