Season 5 There's no one else I'd rather do this with

V

verdantheart

At the outset of “S.O.S.” and “Maternal Instinct”, Sydney sends out an SOS as she eludes Peyton within the cargo ship.

Back in LA, they pick up the transmission, but it is deleted almost as soon as it is received—at Langley's archive. At the ship Peyton says that it's taken care of.

In LA, they discuss the message at a briefing. Jack proposes that they break into CIA headquarters. Since they can't risk tipping off Prophet 5, they must risk charges of treason. He asks whether anyone would like to take a leave of absence, but no one does.

At sea, Peyton finally catches up with Sydney. Sydney takes control, but Peyton says the message went nowhere.

At the CIA, Dixon and Marshall join a tour, Tom heads towards payroll, and Rachel comes in for a job interview. Rachel has brought along a camera phone, which is confiscated and stashed away for safe-keeping until her exit. The phone accesses the computer system. Tom, having talked the payroll clerk out of her seat to work out his problem, now has access and the codes he needs. Rachel, passing the tourgroup, makes a pass to Dixon. Meanwhile, Tom lets Rachel into the server room and continues to look up Witsec records and unlock that area as well. As Dixon and Marshall reach the Kryptos sculpture, Marshall announces that he's decoded it. As Marshall distracts the group, Dixon sprays a substance near a detector. An alarm is set off for anthrax. As Rachel homes in on her records, Tom looks up records regarding the murder of a woman and one Allen Korman. Jack directs Rachel to pull the hard drive containing Sydney's message, which initiates a lockdown.

They have to call Weiss to get them out. Weiss claims he must get Dixon and Marshall to a high-level meeting. They dispatch Dixon after Tom and walk Rachel around the guards and out of the server room.

Back at sea, Sydney and Peyton come to a standoff in a medical area where Sydney discovers a great deal of information about herself. When Sydney is stricken with a bout of pain, Peyton relieves her of the gun. Sydney faints. When she awakens, she finds herself strapped to a gurney. A male nurse tells her that “they're on their way.”

Marshall, meanwhile, reports that the message was deleted by someone with alpha black clearance—which cuts down the possible US Prophet 5 members to one of seven men. When Marshall links the clearance to a secure cellphone, Jack is inspired. He calls a high-level operations meeting in Washington, D.C.

At the meeting, Jack reveals his purpose. All of the attendees (save himself) have alpha black clearance and one of them has ties to Prophet 5. Marshall gets a match and calls the secure phone—Davenport's phone. Jack shoots him, beginning an interrogation on the spot. Davenport admits that Sydney is on a cargo ship in the north Atlantic.

In LA, Tom has his own use for the drive that Rachel brought back, obtaining Korman's location from it.

Sloane and crew look at the selection of cargo ships, selecting the most likely one, one in international waters. Dixon and Tom are dispatched.

On the ship, Sydney sees that her own ob-gyn is present! She asks, “What did you do to me?” The doctor proceeds to remove some amniotic fluid. Peyton receives word that help is on its way and asks how far out they are. The doctor says she needs an hour, but Peyton gives her 40 minutes.

Tom and Dixon find the ship abandoned—except for Sydney.

Sloane, meanwhile, receives a call chastising him for his tardiness in keeping Prophet 5 informed.

Marshall discovers that Tom is looking for the man who killed his wife Amanda. At that moment, Tom is staking the man out. Korman calls him Peter and asks him how he found him. Tom says that he's not there to take revenge, but that he needs to get a message to the Cardinal.

Finally Sydney and Jack are reunited. Jack explains that her abductors saved the baby's life. Sydney tells Jack that she was interrogated, but that she lied to them.

As we shift into “Maternal Instinct,” we find Davenport being transported in a van—which is unceremoniously crashed into by a semi. “God, they're here!” says Davenport, as he crawls out. Irina arrives, telling him, “You compromised our agenda,” and asks whether he told her husband anything about the Horizon. Having confirmed that he said nothing, she kills him.

Dixon tells Sydney that they're to meet her father before returning to APO.

Meanwhile, Devlin arrives at APO on a mole hunt and asks to see the ops files.

Sydney and Dixon meet Jack in the desert, where he tells her that Davenport has been killed. Obviously, there is another mole in APO. Sydney describes what Prophet 5 was after: a particular Alliance mission in France that had to do with Leo 47 Norte. Jack has Dixon rendezvous with Rene to investigate.

Dixon drives Sydney home, insisting that she pack a bag and hide out in a secure location until the baby is born. However, Irina is waiting in Sydney's house. They hug. Sydney says there's “no one else I'd rather do this with.”

Marshall and Jack extract a name and location from the 1999 mission data: Jean Bertrand in Paris.

Later, Jack arrives at Sydney's house, asking “She still here?”

Meanwhile, in Paris, Dixon and Rene pump Bertrand for information by strapping him to the hood of a car and speeding toward a wall. He quickly coughs up the location of a safety deposit box in Vancouver.

Jack, with few resources, agrees to go co-op with Irina to retrieve Horizon. Sydney (already past her last-fly-day, as you recall) insists on going along for the ride. Elsewhere, Peyton decides to crash the party. It's not that she questions Irina's loyalty; it's that she won't take a chance that she's mistaken at this stage of the game.

Jack and Irina pose as grandparents looking to endow a trust fund for their grandchild—just at closing. It's such a generous check, though, how can the manager turn them down? They need a safe deposit box, though, and he's more than happy to oblige.

Rachel, in the meantime, approaches Tom, telling him she knows about his wife and Korman and asks him to promise that he won't do anything stupid. Tom responds with a sob story about seeing Korman's family and walking away.

In the vault, Irina stabs the bank manager with a syringe (looks like that). They open box 135. Sydney warns that Peyton and her crew are entering. Jack detects a booby-trap on Horizon, so they can't open it there. Irina pulls the syringe on Jack, but he blocks her and a struggle ensues, ending with Jack holding a gun on Irina. Sydney arrives, realizing that it was she behind the glass on the ship. “When you couldn't torture it out of me, you came to me as my mother,” she says. “I am your mother,” Irina reminds her. But just then, Sydney is stricken with contractions.

In LA, Sloane is concerned about the mole hunt and the fact that Jack and Sydney are in the field without clearance. Rachel says she can clear the read-only files.

In Vancouver, Irina says she'll help Jack and Sydney escape in exchange for Horizon. Peyton, meanwhile, turns off the power and heads up the stairs. Irina says that she planned to have a helicopter waiting. They head to the roof, but Peyton takes out the helicopter with a shoulder-launched missile.

Jack heads downstairs to take on Peyton and her crew, leaving Irina and Sydney to tend to the birth.

In LA, Sloane and Rachel finish deleting entries.

In Vancouver, Sydney and Irina chew things over. Sydney accuses Irina of wanting her baby. Irina claims she never wanted to have a child in the first place, that she was ordered to have a child by the KGB. She decided that she couldn't be both a mother and an agent, so she chose to fail at being a mother. “You can't do both,” she says. “Watch me,” says Sydney.

Downstairs, Jack explodes a fire extinguisher, taking out Peyton—at least temporarily.

As Jack returns, Irina tells Sydney there is trouble with the birth. The two talk Sydney through it, Jack calming her and Irina telling her what to do and playing midwife. It's a girl, 'natch. Irina disappears—with the satchel, of course. Jack reassures Sydney that they'll find it. Irina calls Marshall for their extraction.

In Bhutan, word arrives of the birth . . . for Vaughn . . .

Comments . . .

At last we see that Vaughn is, indeed, alive. Are we surprised? No. But who is behind this? Is it Jack and Sydney? I've kept my mind open to this possibility all along and Sydney's look followed by Jack's “I'll take care of it” adds credence to this suggestion. Another possibility is, of course, Irina, who would have been at least in some way linked to Vaughn's death by virtue of her connection with Prophet 5. If she is, as usual, playing her double- or triple-agent game, putting Vaughn on ice would definitely be a possibility, and since she is generally the one who sees all, knows all, and tells nothing (oh, great goddess Irina, we bow down to thee), one would assume that she would be behind it or at least know about it. What a refreshing change it would be if Jack and Sydney had finally teamed up to put one over on her!

Heh, are the cards really out on the table? Needless to say Peyton isn't dead, but . . . Is Irina really a bad girl again? Is Sloane really a reluctant mole—and is he the only one left in APO? I'm hoping there are a couple of twists left—ones that make sense.

About Irina, though. Bad girl, good girl, bad girl. After what I've seen, they can't make her realistically bad any more—they'd just have to settle for inconsistent—so I'll just go with the flow. No matter what the case is, though, Irina is a lot more compelling when she's bad, isn't she? This is why I loved the bad-tainted-with-good idea. Here's someone who has her eyes on the prize, yet can still stop and help her daughter through the hard birth. OK, she may have an ulterior motive in helping ensure the health of the child . . . but, hey. On the other hand, I see this more likely as misdirection and that they are going to return to good Irina in the end. After all, Irina didn't have to open up about being ordered to have a child and this might have been a way of slipping Sydney information while seeming to torture her—you know, tipping her off without blowing her cover? This may be her indirect way of addressing Sydney's accusation that Irina wants her child—maybe she's saying that Prophet 5 wants her child and Prophet 5 and her “orders” dictate that she go after the child—or appear to. Further, this may be her way of confirming to Sydney that Prophet 5 is after her child without coming out and saying it. But no matter how I look at it, I like the Irina who snuggles up and turns on you so much better than the one who can somehow be held in prison—against her will—by a complete lunatic for months on end.

In any case, the nursery-nest that Jack found in Hungary should tell them that Prophet 5 has plenty of interest in Sydney's baby. And what better reason for Irina to involve herself, whether good or bad? And what better reason for us to keep our minds open that she will return to good-ol' rehabilitated form in the end?

Irina claims you can't be both an agent and a mother, to which Sydney replies, “Watch me.” Unfortunately, Sydney is giving birth at the time, giving Irina a distinct advantage. Irina makes off with Horizon, so let's score round 1 to her, shall we? Sydney flew up to Vancouver after her last-fly day; she was asking for trouble.

Moving on, we have Tom, who lost a wife, but seems fairly copacetic about the whole thing. All he wants with the murderer is to use him as a messenger to get a note to the Cardinal. Hm, is this guy in the Kremlin, or are they recycling their codenames these days? In any case, this contact must be a pretty old one, and he has to use a very old contact—one in witness protection—to get word to him. What does the Cardinal have to do with all this and what prompted Tom to contact him then? Was it Sydney's abduction? My only comment on this is that it was Jack who brought Tom in . . . I'm hoping that Jack is aware of—and counting on—some connection just like this. At least it's such an old connection (and the message was sent before the birth) that it can't be Vaughn!

Quibbles . . .

Man, there have been so many sudden crashes lately in so many shows they're getting to be routine! Heck, it's only been since the cliffhanger since our last one in Alias.

Peyton seemingly lifeless, but no . . . just a routine Alias day. ;)

Random thoughts . . .

Thank goodness Tom's wife isn't someone we already know. Things are already incestuous enough on this series. I was worried about that, too.

Jack/Irina missions and fighting . . . always fun. The Sydney/Irina argument also worthwhile.

Discuss . . .

Who do you think the Cardinal is? How do you think he plays into this?

Who do you think hid Vaughn? Why do you think it was that person?

Why do you think it was so important to Prophet 5 that Vaughn be killed? Once Prophet 5 was revealed, why couldn't Vaughn have returned?

What do you think Irina's motivations are (is she “good” or “bad”)?

Do you think Irina wants the baby? That Prophet 5 does? Why or why not?

Do you think that Sydney can be both a good agent and a good mother? Why or why not?

Where do you think Sydney and Jack are going (at the end of the show)?

Next:
Anna and Will meet at last.

so fast V! :smiley:

irina maybe... maybe peyton... not sure

absolutely syd/jack hands down no question
imo - worst kept secret in alias
- the juice while he was in the hosp - the look after his "funeral" - re pointing out the juice in horizon -
ob-vi-ous - jj you're loosing your touch ;)

Why do you think it was so important to Prophet 5 that Vaughn be killed? Once Prophet 5 was revealed, why couldn't Vaughn have returned?
whether vaughn knew it or not, he was too close to something. he obviously knew - or they thought he knew -soemthign they didnt want him to know and they're not casual about killing for it either - hence, he needed to stay hidden, especially in his swiss-cheese like state ;)

*sigh* i'm too distraught to answer - i want her to be good so badly, i'm blinded by that

most likely - they're probably convinced that is has something to do with rambalid - then again, what doesnt?

Do you think that Sydney can be both a good agent and a good mother? Why or why not?
for a little bit maybe
but over all, no because being an agent is such a full time life job, she cant be a good mother while risking her life on a daily basis

at the end of the show - sydney and vaughn will ride off into the sunset with their baby to live a happy, normal, spy-free life
and jack, i fear, will be dying :cry:

woah that was quick verdy :smiley: so nice to have ur insight and i have to say we are so on the same page - as soon as irina mentioned her having no real interest in the aby i thought of that crib filled room jack found - yeah right - just wanted to help you syd cos i'm ur mother !!! :rolleyes:

same about jack and tom - i kept thinking - if tom is involved in something jack must know about it since he hired him. I am just wondering if it all ties in with prophet five and irina?!

and yes at last they tell us vaughn is indeed alive - but why do you say he cannot be the cardinal - i am confused about that reasoning?

also - if vaughn was working on prophet five and then went away and jack hired tom - doens't it seem plausible that tom/peter might already know vaughn and have been suggested to jack by vaughn himself!?!?! :thinking: Just a thought.

LOVED the line about Vaughn never trusting Irina!! About time the vaughnster got some credit for something!! :smiley: Although - maybe there is something in the rumours about Vaughn and Irina having the same itinary - that of protecting Sydney - and perhaps the best way to do this is simply to make Syd hate her mother. :Ponder:

questions:
<em>Who do you think the Cardinal is? How do you think he plays into this?</em>
Not sure but i do hope he (she ;) ) is connected in some way. I think the Tom mystery will simply tie in with Jack and maybe Vaughn as I said. Maybe Tom and The Cardinal were already looking into Prophet Five??

<em>Who do you think hid Vaughn? Why do you think it was that person?</em>

Jack and Dixon and Syd - Dixon told Jack on the phone that transport was ready and then Sydney gave Vaughn the drug to make him flatline - all they had to do was steal his body from the morgue and hey presto. :D
Do you think there is any need to question this cos it seems smiple to me? :thinking: am i being dumb?

<em>Why do you think it was so important to Prophet 5 that Vaughn be killed? Once Prophet 5 was revealed, why couldn't Vaughn have returned?</em>
What do you mean by once prophet five was revealed? you mean the CIA guy has been discovered?? Just because that guy has been killed the Prophet five guys are still out there - they killed him for a start and there are many other organisations with mole still wroking on the prophet five mission - aren't there?? :confused:

I am waiting to learn why it is so important Vaughn was killed - it seems to me that he could have been killed years and years ago if he was looking into Prophet Five all the time - especially since he worked with Rennee and nobody seems to need to kill her. His death must have some reason - like perhaps he is some kind of key to stopping the end game of prophet five or something!?!?! Thats the only reason why I think they would want to kill him.................OR, perhaps it has to do with Sydney and her baby - maybe they need for Vaughn to be out of the way for some reason??

<em>What do you think Irina's motivations are (is she “good” or “bad”)?</em>
No idea. I have never been able to figure out Irina. If we take this week at face value she is "bad" with a little "motherl love" on the side when she really needs to show it. LOL

<em>Do you think Irina wants the baby? That Prophet 5 does? Why or why not?</em>
Not sure but I don't believe the story about them just helping Sydney because there was a problem in the pregnancy - who has all that medical aid ready "just in case" :rolleyes: Something is going on for sure. (y)

<em>Do you think that Sydney can be both a good agent and a good mother? Why or why not?</em>
No, i agree with Irina - I think a choice has to be made and Syd will surely choose to become a mother. :love:

<em>Where do you think Sydney and Jack are going (at the end of the show)?</em>

Am I being naive if I say back to LA??? :thinking:

imo - worst kept secret in alias
- the juice while he was in the hosp - the look after his "funeral" - re pointing out the juice in horizon -
ob-vi-ous - jj you're loosing your touch ;)
Well, since he pretty much reassured fans immediately once it happened! :lol:

whether vaughn knew it or not, he was too close to something. he obviously knew - or they thought he knew -soemthign they didnt want him to know and they're not casual about killing for it either - hence, he needed to stay hidden, especially in his swiss-cheese like state ;)
Really? Vaughn knows something? Why, then, have Jack and Sydney remained virtually clueless for so long?!?! :hmm: Let's just say that they are putting up a pretty good show of knowing nothing, at any rate. Vaughn seemed only to know about Prophet 5--and just that, not really what it was, even (damn, why didn't they just change their name? :rolleyes: they could have saved themselves a lot of trouble :lol:smiley:.

and yes at last they tell us vaughn is indeed alive - but why do you say he cannot be the cardinal - i am confused about that reasoning?

also - if vaughn was working on prophet five and then went away and jack hired tom - doens't it seem plausible that tom/peter might already know vaughn and have been suggested to jack by vaughn himself!?!?! :thinking: Just a thought.
Um, I suppose Vaughn could be the Cardinal . . . but what is the event that prompted Tom to look up the old contact? And why would he assume that Vaughn was still alive--unless Jack told him? And if Jack told him, wouldn't Jack also have a better way of contacting him than going through an old contact in witness protection who probably wouldn't have a clue that Vaughn was currently in Nowheresville, Bhutan???? Besides, Tom made this contact before the birth and the "I'll take care of it." See what I mean? Let's just say that I will be extremely disappointed if the Cardinal turns out to be Vaughn and Jack hired Tom because of a connection to someone (Vaughn) he already knew!!! :lol:

What I'm hoping is that Jack realized that Tom had a connection to someone that he needed as a resource and this was the time to contact him . . . but why? He didn't yet know about the Horizon, but he was on the verge of nailing the US Prophet 5 link . . . The question is whether Jack sent Tom to find Korman, or whether he did it on his own. Either way, it's clear that Tom needed to hide it from others in APO--maybe Jack is suspicious that Sloane is still under pressure and wants to keep it on the QT. It looks like not everyone sees this as on the up-and-up (maybe Irina or Peyton is the Cardinal), but because Jack hired him for specific, unstated reasons I'm thinking this (the Cardinal) is the reason and that the double-agent-ness is Tom's hiding from the mole. I'm also thinking that "the problem" that they might have been talking about (regarding Tom's hiring) might have been connected with Amanda's death in some way.

What do you mean by once prophet five was revealed? you mean the CIA guy has been discovered?? Just because that guy has been killed the Prophet five guys are still out there - they killed him for a start and there are many other organisations with mole still wroking on the prophet five mission - aren't there?? :confused:

I am waiting to learn why it is so important Vaughn was killed - it seems to me that he could have been killed years and years ago if he was looking into Prophet Five all the time - especially since he worked with Rennee and nobody seems to need to kill her. His death must have some reason - like perhaps he is some kind of key to stopping the end game of prophet five or something!?!?! Thats the only reason why I think they would want to kill him.................OR, perhaps it has to do with Sydney and her baby - maybe they need for Vaughn to be out of the way for some reason??
When the existence of Prophet 5 as an organization was revealed. I guess there was the watch . . . you'd think they could have taken that away from him; there were a number of agents who were capable of besting him . . . Jack, Sydney, Sark, Irina, Dixon, surely Anna . . . etc . . . . Perhaps they had to wait to kill Vaughn until Sydney was pregnant. ;) Hell, the real reason that they waited is that they weren't ready to write it into the story until this season! :lol:

Why did they want to kill him? Maybe to make the story more dramatic? :rolleyes: Heck, I don't know! He sure didn't seem to know a hell of a lot. Maybe they thought he knew more than he actually did? Maybe they killed him as an example or a demonstration of power?

<em>Where do you think Sydney and Jack are going (at the end of the show)?</em>[/i]
Am I being naive if I say back to LA??? :thinking:
Probably not. There was just something that struck me weird about the scene that made it seem like they were going somewhere else. But you're right. They were probably just going home. :P

Of course it was Jack and Syd who hid Vaughn...the look at the funeral, the "water" at the hospital. I think that Syd's baby is "the chosen one" from page 47 of the Rambaldi manuscript! Perfect reason to save the baby, Profit 5 must be connected to all things Rambaldi. And it would make sense that the woman pictured looks like Sydney and her mother...why not the baby too.

Well, since he pretty much reassured fans immediately once it happened! :lol:
Really? Vaughn knows something? Why, then, have Jack and Sydney remained virtually clueless for so long?!?! :hmm: Let's just say that they are putting up a pretty good show of knowing nothing, at any rate. Vaughn seemed only to know about Prophet 5--and just that, not really what it was, even (damn, why didn't they just change their name? :rolleyes: they could have saved themselves a lot of trouble :lol:smiley:.
well, i'm not saying that vaughn knows something as in "xxxx is the secret to all that is rambaldi"
he may know somethign that he doesnt even know he knows - or that he doesnt even believe to be imporant (confused yet? :P )
i dont feel like vaughn is a rambaldi afficionado so i think its likely he doenst know what the hell he's doing and thus could know something prophet five deems dangerous - to them

I think that Syd's baby is "the chosen one" from page 47 of the Rambaldi manuscript!
What, you mean we have to wait for her to grow up to find out about the "burning anger" and all?! How frustrating. I don't think we have that long. :P

well, i'm not saying that vaughn knows something as in "xxxx is the secret to all that is rambaldi"
I thought you meant Prophet 5-related, which would be something that (I hope) he would have passed along to Sydney by now. So maybe it is the doesn't-know-he-knows-it kind of thing. Silly boy! :lol:
✌️

Great column! (y) Anyway, I'm feeling kind of dumb because I think I may be answering more than a couple of your questions with an "I don't know".

1) I honestly don't know. The easy guess is to say Irina. But at this point, I don't think she is. I'm leaning toward it being someone we haven't met yet.

2) I think it was Jack & Sydney with a little help from Dixon. And I say that because of the scene(s) in the season 5 premiere with the water, and the looks at the funeral, etc.

3) Could it be as simple as Prophet 5 was tired of his "interference" and the best way to stop that interference is to get rid of the individual causing it.

4) Irina has always been a shadow, wrapped in an enigma, wrapped in a mystery. I know a lot of fans want her desperately to be "good", and to have done everything that we've seen so far in 4+ seasons, be for the good of her daughter. But I'm not convinced she is. Then again, her "now I'm perceived to be good, now I'm perceived to be bad" yo-yoing hasn't helped to draw a clear line in the sand. I do think she loves her daughter, in fact I have no doubt about that, but if she is on the "bad" side, I'm not so sure that love is going to keep her from her endgame. She always seems to have her eyes on the prize. Call me crazy, but I don't think I'd be disappointed if in the end, her true intentions and allegiance are revealed to be more sinister than most of the fans would hope for. If I were to guess though, I would say it will be revealed that everything Irina's done has been with Sydney's best interest in mind. That would be the most satisfying ending for the majority of the fans.

5) I had the thought as well that the sketch on page 47 of the Rambaldi Manuscript could be that of Vaughn & Sydney's daughter. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was never stated that the sketch on page 47 was indeed of Sydney with 100% certainty, was it?) J.J. enjoys twists and that would certainly be one. It could be that Prophet 5 wants/needs the child to fulfill the prophecy, and possibly Irina wants to stop it. Other than that, I would have to say, I don't know.

6) I don't think she can be both. And I'm not convinced she wants to be both. I think she wants to end this threat, Rambaldi and all, and go on to a "normal" life.

7) My initial thought was they were going back to Los Angeles.

Thanks for your insight into this show. (y)

Hey V. I have a question before I tackle yours!
Okay. Maybe I'm a little behing the learning curve, but I don't understand why Korman, the guy Tom/Peter went after was being hidden in the CIAs witness protection program. It sounds like he is the one that killed Amanda. How is he a witness?

Here's my random thoughts:
I think everyone at APO was involved in the Vaughn-Houdini act. Jack enlisted Marshall and Dixon at Sydney's behest.

I was disappointed in Syd and Jack when they trusted Irian so implicitly. I thought for a split second that Syd was going to play it smart and not give full disclosure when they were separating from their hug-her eyes looked like she was going to keep things close to the vest, but no such luck:confused:

Also, when Jack first walked in, I thought he wouldn't reveal too much either, after all the times he's said he knows she has an endgame. but I did LOVE LOVE LOVE the look he gave Syd when he said, She still here? Priceless.

I really hope, like you said, that Jack and Sydney finally have one up on Irina with Vaughn still being alive. (Doctors really are amazing that he was truly able to survive the swiss-cheese incident ;) hee)

That's all for now. I will re watch it tonight and see if I have more thoughts on it!

Call me crazy, but I don't think I'd be disappointed if in the end, her true intentions and allegiance are revealed to be more sinister than most of the fans would hope for. If I were to guess though, I would say it will be revealed that everything Irina's done has been with Sydney's best interest in mind. That would be the most satisfying ending for the majority of the fans.
As you know, I find Irina a much more interesting character if she is a villain, or "evil, tainted by good," serving as a sort of counterpart to Jack, who would be "good, tainted by evil." However, Alias is very responsive to fans, who obviously do not find that outcome desirable. They love Irina and (by-and-large) want her to be good at heart. So I'm fine with that and whether or not it was the orignal intention for her to be "good at heart (which it might well have been), I fully expect Irina to turn out to be so in "the last reel." This is what is wanted, expected, and, let's face it, the usual thing. Mothers love their daughters; mothers aren't evil. No, it would be a bold, exciting, and courageous* choice to turn Irina into the sort of unique character I propose . . . and, besides, they've already made enough missteps with the series, that trying to pull this particular character resolution (bad Irina) off in the end probably wouldn't work anyway and would probably only serve to alienate the remaining fans. I think that the "lightning-in-a-bottle" potential for this sort of tragically charming villain was lost in season 3 when Olin wouldn't sign and Abrams was distracted by the fast-tracking of Lost (and later MI3) and Alias went off-track; it was sealed when they killed the character off and had to bring her back (yet a second time!).

* It's not a coincidence that "courageous" or "brave" is usually used to mean "mistake" in Hollywood. ;)

I don't think she can be both. And I'm not convinced she wants to be both. I think she wants to end this threat, Rambaldi and all, and go on to a "normal" life.
Returning to "Horizon," Sydney did say that she was tired of saving the world and that she wanted to chuck it all--and mommy dearest was in on her half of that conversation (with herself-as-Vaughn, actually). So Irina has some ammunition there.

As you know, I find Irina a much more interesting character if she is a villain, or "evil, tainted by good," serving as a sort of counterpart to Jack, who would be "good, tainted by evil." However, Alias is very responsive to fans, who obviously do not find that outcome desirable.

I think that the "lightning-in-a-bottle" potential for this sort of tragically charming villain was lost in season 3 when Olin wouldn't sign and Abrams was distracted by the fast-tracking of Lost (and later MI3) and Alias went off-track; it was sealed when they killed the character off and had to bring her back (yet a second time!).
I agree wholeheartedly.

what about Mr Sark being The Cardinal? Just cos it would be a cool name for him? :D Or is that too weird since Rachel hooked up with him - do we think Tom has met The Cardinal before? I forget what he said now. :Ponder:

And Verdy - i agree Tom might be working with Jack - that would tie up nicely - I also think Jack is still suspicious of Sloane!!! Just wait til her learns Rachel deleted phone records LOL

what about Mr Sark being The Cardinal? Just cos it would be a cool name for him? :D Or is that too weird since Rachel hooked up with him - do we think Tom has met The Cardinal before? I forget what he said now. :Ponder:
Don't know about Sark being the Cardinal; it would be weird, though. Tom didn't say anything about meeting him one way or the other, just that he wanted to get a message to him.

I also think Jack is still suspicious of Sloane!!!
It would be wise of Jack to be suspicious of Sloane. They know that there is a leak somewhere. I'm not sure he buys Dean's "suicide"--I mean, why wouldn't he have killed himself before spilling his guts? Sloane admitted that he had been working with Dean and that he was vulnerable because of Nadia--who had an unexplained brief revival around the time of Dean's unfortunate demise. Jack's a smart guy; I hope he can do the math . . . ;)

Hey V...
Its been so long...enjoyed your column a great deal and here's my take to your questions.

Actually my first hunch was Irina. Cardinal doesn't necessarily mean a man. However I'd love it to be Jack who has been orchestrating everyone. See if we believe that Prophet 5 is after the baby, for whatever reason, then based on all that hoopla over Sydney's being the Chosen one makes sense. Rambaldi had to know who her parents would be. Now would it frost the cake if Jack was really...Rambaldi. Now that's far off in left field, but then so is Alias...a lot. :D

It was Jack and Sydney knew it. At the hospital in Italy when Vaughn supposedly died, there was a 'look' that passed between them. Then another perceptible look at the funeral. Definitely Jack. Of course, we could say maybe Irina helped...but... :rolleyes:

That was odd because I thot P5 was revealed before they shot Vaughn. Who gave the order? Sydney wanted to know if Irina did. She never answered directly. Dean was an underling in the hierarchy...it could have been Davenport too, since he was CIA and Dean was 'ex-CIA'. Vaughn certainly had to recuperate from the multiple bullet holes he took.

Who knows! Perhaps only JJ knows how bad she is, but she certainly has no qualms about shooting bad guys who are no longer useful. She is truly an enigma. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure because she said she saved the baby's life because Sydney was her daughter. However, things could change as we head down to the end. I thot the nursery was a clue, but it hasn't been alluded too since that episode. (n)

I think Sydney is up to the challenge that her mother gave her and she's stubborn enough to do it. :angelic:

Well, they were not going to Bhutan. I think they were on their way back to LA. :lol:

:cool:

Back