What is the =maximum= that you'd be willing to pay for a game?

What is the maximum you would spend per month for one Game

• $15 and under

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • $16-20

Votes: 48 50.5%
  • $21-30

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • $31-40

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • $41 and over

Votes: 8 8.4%

• Total voters
Sylvado said:
Cost sets a bottom for price. Actual price is set by demand.
Yes, so isn't it strange that the limited demand of Dragonrealms, compared to even a moderately successful MMORPG, still creates a pricing structure well in advance of those MMORPGS?

Sylvado said:
Here are the results of a age poll Simu had on their home page.

19-24 45%
25-29 14%
18 or Under 12%
30-34 11%
35-39 8%
40-44 5%
45-49 3%
50-54 2%
55 or older 1%
Total Votes: 3331
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be getting out of this? I see nothing abnormal that only 1/10 of the market (roughly speaking), is under 18, for example. I was alluding to this earlier. I just don't think MUDs have mass appeal for that demographic. I confess I'm surprised by the 19-24 band... I think I would have expected that band to be more around the 30-34 mark, which is where a lot of old MUD type people, in my experience, typically fall. Hmmmmmm... interesting.

8+ years of DR here at $9.99 a month, until they raised the price to, I think, $15 a month. I had a fit when they did that, especially since I was paying for EQ, SWG, and whatever else was hot at the time. I really think DR is worth $10 a month, even if I am sharing my gaming time with other mmorpgs. At $15+, though, if I am not playing DR exclusively and daily, it is just a drain.

I absolutely understand Sylvado's willingness to pay $41 a month, but it isn't for me. Simutronics put the bait of Platinum and Premium accounts and Extra Character fees out there and players bit. I think that gave them the courage to up the DR prime fee from 10 to 15. They may have seen an immediate revenue increase, but I think they have lost out on lots of new players, and lost existing players, by raising their rates. Rate increase is only part of the reason I am not currently playing DR, though. (more in the DR thread in the 'Other Games' forum, if you care.)

That said, I still think DragonRealms is the best game ever. Period. One of these days I am going to walk into Simu HQ, buy all rights and resources to DR from David Whatley, and significantly drop or eliminate the monthly fee altogether... just for spite. ;)

blur said:
None of what you say is incorrect... but... you're using the example of a MUD to justify the pricing of an MMORPG. To my mind, MUDs already have these niche, hardcore RP audiences. I mean, come on, you HAVE to be pretty hardcore at your RP to pay above and beyond market rates for something that's just text-based like something you once played at uni (for free) back in 1993...!

Yep it is insane folks paying what $49.95/month for a Platinum account. $39.95/month for a Premium account and $15/month for a standard account. Yes these are MUDs. Yes it is legacy technology. There is very little overhead for Simu. I am sure all of the profits they are making through Dragonrealms and Gemstone are going towards HJ.

History has shown that Simu does not have the standard business model. If you look at those prices it caters to a certain customer.

What else is crazy? There are folks who have 6 to 8 of the Premium accounts active per month.

Okay sure they will probably release HJ at the market value or slightly higher than the market value with the promise of immersion and role play. After they work the bugs out, they will open a Strict RolePlay server where the price will be higher. This will cater to the roleplayers who are tired of the snerts. Simu has done this in the past when they introduced Platinum. I think Platinum when it first came out was about $80/month. Absolutely crazy! But people do pay this. Like they spend $100 for a merchant event that lasts a week in addition to their monthly fees.

blur said:
Yes, so isn't it strange that the limited demand of Dragonrealms, compared to even a moderately successful MMORPG, still creates a pricing structure well in advance of those MMORPGS?

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be getting out of this? I see nothing abnormal that only 1/10 of the market (roughly speaking), is under 18, for example. I was alluding to this earlier. I just don't think MUDs have mass appeal for that demographic. I confess I'm surprised by the 19-24 band... I think I would have expected that band to be more around the 30-34 mark, which is where a lot of old MUD type people, in my experience, typically fall. Hmmmmmm... interesting.

When chatting with some folks you hear that they have been playing Gemstone or Dragonrealms since they were 12 or 13? I would have thought 19 to 24 band would have left the text games and moved to the MMORPGS. Espcially since Simu really does not market their text games anymore.

that's just text-based like something you once played at uni (for free) back in 1993...!

People left Simu because there was a cost, they would go out and try to find something that would give them the same experience that was free. And guess what? There was nothing there except a bunch of folks who ran scripts trying to become uber powerful.

Different spin....

It is possible that the only reason why some folks play the text games is to make Real Life monies. You can buy 1 million silvers from someone for $14 to $15. Buy characters for $400 to $1000. And the Uber Powerful items on average for $300. Remember this is a TEXT game and folks do buy these things for words on the screen.

So honestly, I see there being a price tier with Simu. The standard game about $15/month and the Hard core Roleplay for $30 to $40/month.

Zhelas said:
Yep it is insane folks paying what $49.95/month for a Platinum account. $39.95/month for a Premium account and $15/month for a standard account. Yes these are MUDs. Yes it is legacy technology. There is very little overhead for Simu. I am sure all of the profits they are making through Dragonrealms and Gemstone are going towards HJ.

History has shown that Simu does not have the standard business model. If you look at those prices it caters to a certain customer.

What else is crazy? There are folks who have 6 to 8 of the Premium accounts active per month.

Okay sure they will probably release HJ at the market value or slightly higher than the market value with the promise of immersion and role play. After they work the bugs out, they will open a Strict RolePlay server where the price will be higher. This will cater to the roleplayers who are tired of the snerts. Simu has done this in the past when they introduced Platinum. I think Platinum when it first came out was about $80/month. Absolutely crazy! But people do pay this. Like they spend $100 for a merchant event that lasts a week in addition to their monthly fees.

These prices are dirt cheep. $35 / 720 hrs
A movie on the weekend $9 / 1 1/2 hrs (w/ out food or drink)
A night at a pub $30 / 4 hrs (A pint cost about $6 buck, $10 cover, $30 is a low ball number here)
Tickets to a play/show $60 / 3ish hrs

It's not crazy at all. It's a great value and good bang for your buck.

PS. You keep saying "TEXT" like it's a bad thing. LoL. NO game has systems even close to Simu "TEXT" games and that's why people keep coming back to them.

I think the point some of us are making is that text is a legacy system with low overheads. I would almost feel like I was being taken for a ride, paying the same as a top shelf MMORPG to play the basic text game, and almost four times that for a premium experience. It's like the Simu MUDs have become their own little world and the people inside them have lost touch with the computer gaming market as a whole and the values - relative and otherwise - of other games out there.

*sigh*

If they implement tiered pricing, I'm out. If they jack up the prices to above the standard rates, I'm out. If they fail to deliver on any more promises, I'm out.

If they want to do something, they should. If they don't want to do something, they shouldn't. I'm just getting tired of being jerked around.

Well I'm not sure that's what the guys are suggesting.

I think they're suggesting people would pay a premium and all go away to a different server altogether. So it's not like you'd get ganked by some guy just because he paid $50/month and you were paying $15/month.

Personally, I think the idea sucks, period. But if it is implemented, I'm at least happy that it would no doubt be in this format, ie: "premium" users wouldn't be mixing with "regular" users.

Kuzzle said:
*sigh*

If they implement tiered pricing, I'm out. If they jack up the prices to above the standard rates, I'm out. If they fail to deliver on any more promises, I'm out.

If they want to do something, they should. If they don't want to do something, they shouldn't. I'm just getting tired of being jerked around.

What have they failed to deliver?

The point is... folks will pay for the price if the game is good. I have never played platinum. Don't wish to. I have played Gemstone for a long time. The worlds between Platinum and Prime are almost exactly the same. The difference is the player base. I am looking forward to HJ. I hope it is Market Value because really that is all i wish to pay. The higher cost will only be for a focused small group who take Roleplay as serious as real life.

blur said:
I think the point some of us are making is that text is a legacy system with low overheads. I would almost feel like I was being taken for a ride, paying the same as a top shelf MMORPG to play the basic text game, and almost four times that for a premium experience. It's like the Simu MUDs have become their own little world and the people inside them have lost touch with the computer gaming market as a whole and the values - relative and otherwise - of other games out there.

Have you played GS or DR? I fully understand your view, if you have never played either game.

All I can tell you is people come back to those "TEXT" games, over and over. Why? Because graphics are nice for a little while, but what really hooks players are the systems and content. Systems and content are what make great games, GREAT. Yes, content is much more than purdy picts.

I recently started playing DR a bit. It hought it was interesting so I told some friends. Ther scoffed. Especially at Premium Acount price. I scoff too at this.

Back