Blood Ties

YAY! sooo pleased u wrote a sequel! awwww, vaughn and syd have another child - how cute! hmmmm, the ending left me hanging, who was talking 2 whom?? seemed spyish!! Please post soon so we can find out!!

*~Loz~*

::Claps:: That was great!! Can't wait for more!!
PS. Wasn't Ailish's last name changed to Vaughn in the end of FLCH?? I could be wrong....
Again, great story!! :D
-Karie-

The boards are back! Thank you!!! :D :D

I'll try to post chapter 2 this weekend. Thanks for all the reviews guys...

Hey, do any of you know what happened to the character contest thing.... :thinking: i was wondering if Ailish got it in the end....

WOOHOOOO!!!!!!! :D :D i was so exceedingly sad when FLCH was finished, i'm soooo happy you're writing a sequel! yayay and you are the best writer!

Yes, Trish, you won. Congratulations :smiley:

And that was a very good start. I was a little confused at the end, but I'm guessing you're gonna explain it later.

~Me :angel2:

(y) Well done Trish and many conga rats 2 u! *****cue dancing rats!!***** LMAO!!! :lol:

hope you post the new chap 2 the sequel soon!

*~Loz~*

Trish, you write so well and you know it! I'm so happy to be able to read all of your fics.....especially a sequel!! I'm loving the family life...and I'm interested to see what happens!

Congrats for Feels like coming home, it was so great !!
I loved the beginning of the sequel, you should continue asap !!!

Author’s Note: Thanks to everyone who read and review. You have no idea how unsure I was – and still am – about that first chapter. It’s my karma. I can’t write good first chapters. :P Um… hopefully this one will be better. If it’s not, forgive me. :thinking: And oh, thanks to Mel for providing me with a title. :D

Read on…

Chapter two – Butterfly Kisses

Sweet sixteen today,
She's looking like her momma a little more every day.
One part woman, the other part girl.
To perfume and makeup, from ribbons and curls.
Trying her wings out in a great big world.

---- B. Carlisle, Butterfly Kisses

The stadium was full. They squeezed their way through the loud mass of over-excited fans, Melanie standing safely on Vaughn’s shoulders, watching everything from the top, as the rest of the family ducked from the possibly harmful elbows with the ability one can only acquire with practice.

They got to their seats with obvious relief, and Vaughn unloaded Melanie from his shoulders, and put her on the plastic chair.

“Is it just me or is this place even more crowded than usual?” Sydney asked, as she handed Melanie her soda.

“Are you surprised? It’s the last playoff. This game will decide if we’re in our out. Our future is being set here.” Vaughn said, seating down on the last chair to the right. Sydney sat on the last chair to the left. It was routine, for the safety of the girls.

“Don’t you think you’re just a little overdramatic when it comes to hockey?” Sydney said, amused, leaning in so she could see him as she talked.

“One can never be overdramatic when it comes to hockey.” Vaughn answered soberly.

“See? Did you hear what you just said? Overdramatic.”

Vaughn made a face and put his tongue out.

Sydney wiped away a tear that wasn’t there, in mock emotion.

“It makes me so happy… that my children have a father to look up to. A man who sets examples, who shows them how to behave…” She said, as Melanie and Ailish chitchatted about some girl who apparently had stolen Melanie’s crayons.

Vaughn repeated his gesture, discreetly blowing her a kiss afterwards.

With a smirk, Sydney put her own tongue out.

“Do I have to remind you two of the rules of social behavior?” Ailish asked, rolling her eyes and smiling. “I think we’ve been through them already.”

“Can I play too?” Melanie asked, happily showing her tongue. It was amazing how children could listen to everything without looking like they were paying (any) attention.

“See what you started?” Sydney said.

“Hey, you played along.”

“What is it with hockey that awakens the child inside the two of you?”

“I don’t know.” Vaughn said, seeming to be considering the subject. “I think it must be the zamboni.” He said innocently.

Sydney rolled her eyes.

“Aili, have you decided about the trip yet?” She asked, decided to change the subject.

Ailish sighed.

“I don’t know.”

“Honey, your grandmother will understand.”

“But I’ll miss going with you guys. It’s our thing.”

“Well, this summer your thing is going to be going to Germany with your school.”

“What if something happens and I’ll never be able to go to France again?”

“Such as?”

“I don’t know… we can get really poor.”

“Not gonna happen.”

“I can die.”

“If you do, you will be too dead to regret not going to France.”

“You two are morbid.” Vaughn said. “No one is going to die. Aili, do you want to go to Germany?”

“Yes, but-”

“Wait.” Vaughn admonished, holding a hand up. “Is this ‘but’ going to involve us?”

“Yes, but dad-”

“Honey, France is not going anywhere. Your grandmother is healthy and kicking, your mother and I earn respectable salaries, thank you very much, and you’re still very young. Go to Germany with your friends, have fun. France will wait until next year.”

“You’re right. Thanks, guys.”

Vaughn was about to reply, but the loud cheering announcing the game had officially started covered his voice, so he just smiled, and turned his attention to the rink.

Sydney knew he was torturing himself for convincing their daughter to spend the summer away from them, and she wanted to congratulate him for doing the right thing.

But two kids and a team of hockey players that took all his attention stood in her way, so she decided to wait until they got home.

She would congratulate him alright then.

She surveyed her surroundings. Things hadn’t changed at all since she had last come there, except for the thick layer of dust that now covered the floor. She took advantage of this, since it covered the sound of her footsteps, and gave her the chance to surprise anyone who might’ve been there.

But it was an unnecessary concern. There was no one there; the place was abandoned, just like she had been told it would.

I should’ve done this earlier, she thought to herself as she walked through the corridors she remembered oh too well. But she hadn’t been ready to face the memories, to face the ghosts of the things she had done. Deep inside she wondered if she was really ready now. She wondered if she would ever be ready to deal with her own demons. They were too many, too powerful and overwhelming.

She was safe while she kept them locked inside. Only God knew what would happen once she unleashed them.

She stopped in front of a door, one she could easily open if she wanted to. On the other side of the door, everything had started. Inside that room, her life had taken a new turn, and she wasn’t sure if it had been for good or for bad.

The silence, usually so appreciated, disturbed her. It allowed her to listen with more intensity to the sounds of the memories playing inside her head.

She walked away without opening the door.

She wasn’t ready. Not yet.

“Sydney, no.”

“Dad, we can’t hold her here forever.”

“I agree. But I intend on holding her here while we can.”

“I am not depriving my daughter of an enriching experience just because something might happen to her.”

Sydney had expected a negative reaction from her father. She had braced herself for the battle as she walked inside Jack Bristow’s house after the game, the girls going home with Vaughn. But even though she had expected it, it didn’t make it any more pleasant to deal with it.

“We have too many enemies, Sydney. Imagine how delighted they would be if they could get the daughter of Sydney Bristow, my granddaughter, under captivity. We shouldn’t give them the chance to hurt us.”

Sydney took a deep breath, exhaling slowly and seating down on the kitchen chair.

“And we shouldn’t let them control us, dad. We can’t live our lives thinking about what can or can’t happen if we do or don’t do this or that. Ailish could be hit by a bus on the way to school for all we know.”

“But the odds are much smaller if we remind her to look both ways before crossing the street. Just like her chances of being kidnapped are much smaller if she stays with us.”

“Ailish is not a child anymore.”

“You were not a child when you got into SD-6, and I wanted to protect you nevertheless. But I didn’t act upon it. And you got hurt. A lot. And I can’t help but think I could have avoided all that if I wanted to. I don’t want to have the same regrets with Ailish.”

“Dad, I could handle things. I’m still alive, aren’t I? It wasn’t your duty to protect me.”

“It was. From the minute you were born, it became my duty to protect you. And I failed to fulfill it.”

“You didn’t. You protected me, as much as I allowed you to. I didn’t want to be protected. If you stop Ailish from going to this trip, she’ll resent you. And if you keep stopping her from becoming independent, like Vaughn and I raised her to be, she’ll resent you even more. And this will keep going until her relationship with you is ruined beyond repair.” Sydney looked down, and back into her father’s eyes. “She loves you, dad. She admires you, she really does. But that won’t stop her from being angry with you.”

Jack passed a hand over his forehead.

“She really wants to go to this, doesn’t she?”

“Yes.”

“Very well. I won’t show my disagreement with this trip, if it’s important for her.”

“Thank you, dad.” Sydney said, knowing how hard this was for him.

She knew the reason of her father’s hesitancy, but didn’t say anything. He didn’t fear their enemies. He feared only one particular enemy, and she secretly shared those same fears.

But she wouldn’t allow anyone to control her life, or the life of her daughters.

Ailish would go. And Ailish would come back.

“Hey.” Sydney said in greeting. Vaughn looked up, smiling, and returned his attention to a far point ahead of him. “Ailish said you were out here.”

“It’s a warm night.” Vaughn said distractedly. “No moon, though.”

“The lack of moon makes the stars seem brighter.”

“Yes… I suppose there is an upside to everything.” He said. Sydney sat down next to him, handing him a glass of wine. “Thanks. How was it with your dad?”

They were at the porch, lit only by the light that came from inside the house. Vaughn hadn’t bothered to turn on the outside’s lights.

“Better than I expected, worse than I’d wish.”

Vaughn passed an arm around her shoulders, and she rested her head against him.

“We can’t keep her prisoner of the choices we made in our lives.”

“I know. And my father knows it too, despite his actions. He said he wouldn’t show his dislike, if it was important to her.”

“Just like you aren’t showing yours.”

Sydney sighed.

“I’m not against her going. It’s just… I can’t help but be afraid, Vaughn.”

“I know. Me too.”

They stood in silence, sipping their wines and watching the sky. A little ahead of them, the kid’s swing moved with the wind, making a small creaking noise.

“It’s been ten years.” Sydney suddenly spoke.

“Hum, nine years, eleven months and thirteen days.” Vaughn answered with a smirk.

Sydney looked at her watch.

“Five hours and thirty-six minutes.” She added.

He smiled, amused by something.

“All this time, and you still call me Vaughn.”

“And what was I supposed to call you?” She asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Michael?” He offered.

“Nah… too many people call you Michael.”

“And you just have to be different.”

“Can I call you Larry?”

“Why on Earth would you call me Larry?”

“Because no one else does.”

“And thank God for that.”

“Hum… Richard?”

He made a face.

“Louis?”

“Jesus no.”

“Kevin?”

“Do I look like a Kevin?”

“Jo-” Sydney started, but was interrupted as he captured her lips with his.

“Let’s just stick with the Vaughn, shall we?” he whispered, as they broke apart.

“I think that’s a good idea.” She answered, and pulled him to her again.

“We should probably go inside.” He muttered, kissing her neck.

“Uh-hum…”

“It’s cold out here…”

“Is it?”

“I’m assuming.”

“Michael. Stop talking.” She demanded, with a half-laugh.

“Yes… Cindy.”

“Cindy? Hum… you’re betraying me with Cindy?”

“Apparently yes. But you’re also betraying me with Michael.”

She smiled, and their lips met again.

Ten years. And they were still good and kicking.

Back