Hero's Journey should not....

I'm thinking they won't have a problem with lag if they can add content AS WE PLAY seemlessly. Maybe they have nothing in common and I'm just a noob, but blizzard had to take all servers down for EVER and add their content.

I just hope there isnt that stupid load screen whenever we Port or go into a new continent (although im not sure of the geography of Elanthia)

lol, not sure what happened but my post didnt post. Anywho, Sure there were threads for sperate servers in EVE but it wasnt a HUGE outcry. I played through the beta and for 2yrs after the launch, and I dont remember there being any serious issues with lag or outcries for new servers, *shrug*. I remember the big battles causing lag, of course 100+ ships doing heavy combat is going to cause problems, but the average gameplay of maybe a dozen or more ships in one zone going at it to gank mining ships coming through gates or just while they are mining, didnt cause any problems with lag. Point is, for a small company that they are, they are ahead of the game when it comes to server technology and its showing in their subscriber player base and awards. What caused me to leave the game? Not the amazing graphics or gameplay itself, but I got sick of being stuck in 3rd person view with no hope of them adding 1st person or giving my pilot an actual body to walk around on a planet, ship, or station. Its like playing a transformer...but without the transforming, lol.

Originally posted by frostydf2@Jun 11 2006, 03:34 AM
I really enjoy raiding :( What's the problem with 30 people taking on a dragon?
The problem with raiding, is often it takes 40+ people to down the boss (which is very fun, imo) but then, after all the hours it took, you get like, only 3 loot pieces. Makes 99% of the group have to farm the thing for months to have everyone get some decent rewards.

That's my own personal problem with how the current raid mechanic is used. If Simu can do something less 'timesink/grind' with the idea, I'd be up for it.

I'd like something like the Onyxia encounter in WoW: takes only ten minutes to get to the dragon herself, but mastering the fight itself takes more time and skill. No slogging through hours of 'trash' mobs or anything like that, though, so you can practice the 'real' challenge until you've mastered it with your group. That's the thing I like best about raids, the coordination with friends and mastering a strategy.

I like the concept of raids and especially when its a coop between guilds or clans to work together for a common objective. But like he said, there basicly needs to be a reasonable reward for such a large group going on these ventures, not just one or two items tha, granted might be worth a bit on their own, there should be more than just experience for the rest of the raid to prevent camping or farming.

See here's my impression I'm getting from reading about HJ as far as raiding goes. Well 1st this isn't really a "loot" based game that most others are that are out right now. Wyr yes will change your stats but will also have positive and negative effects so kinda a checks and balance thing going on. Now granted more rare wyr will probably have a larger effect on stats I don't think they will be overly powerful thats just my take on it.

So that being said it brings me to raiding. I love being in large partys to accomplish great things in a game. Now yes games out there right now have you killing big boss X everyday forever it seems and that in no way is heroic imo. So I don't in anyway expect that from the devs, hence why this game appeals to me so much. But if its implemented in a way where you kill big boss X and you somehow change the enviornment of the game and when you head back to town the NPC's praise you for your deeds then in that term I think it would feel a bit more heroic.

So to sum it up I'm all for raiding. But yes the current form that games have imbeded it into our heads as what "raiding" is isn't what I would hope to see and in no way think I will in HJ. So keep the raiding and large group experiences in the game since I personally enjoy them, but just get rid or the repetitiveness of what we are lead to beleave raiding is all about.

Oh, also the one flaw with raids, that is especially stark in WoW: without alternative content, it kills small, 'family' guilds. In the first year, I saw many guilds that strived to be close knit die after hitting level cap because there was no 'small scale' content for them. They either broke up and joined raiding guilds, or left the game. Only recently have lvl-cap dungeons that don't need 40 people been added, but it was too late for a lot of folks, which saddened me. WoW's community is underwhelming enough, the game's exclusion of perhaps more personal, 'community-oriented' players doesn't help it any.

Hmm.. most interesting stuff.

I personally like getting get into character creation and development. That is to say: the ability to change clothes, hair etc. Acquiring different suits of armour and such; and socializing. Some of the funniest stuff i've seen comes from people running around virtual worlds with their little digital chars trying to do the impossible. I like guilds but only when they're not static. Meaning they have non mandatory weekly hunts or get togethers or so.

Game content and character ANIMATIONS!!!! are a must to me. If a character has to stand somewhere while someone is AFK have the char do something like brush their clothes off, comb their hair, polish their armour...something..anything but a static stance. So unique emotes for character race and or profession etc. would be cool stuff.

I'm not into power leveling or grinding in any way shape form or fashion as it would probably take away form the game and you'd get a high lvl character without necessarily knowing how to play it.

I hope the game supports the ability to jump and/or climb on, up, and over things.

I don't mind the con system.

Want both Box and digital downloads.

Wouldn't like experience debt unless it were REALLY easy to get rid of...like by eating food and drink or so.

Mentoring system would be ok but i'd take the lower character up to the level of the mentor as opposed to the other way around so they can see what the could get if they keep at it (hehe).

What is 1337 speak?

I'd like to see the combination of BOTH "level" skill and weapon stats as the determing factors of a chars abilities.

Umm.. yeah ya gotta get yer buttt kicked a few times in order to find out what you did wrong on a mish or quest etc. No problem with that.

I like... player housing, furniture, paintings, candles, curtains, lighing et all.

Don't mind zoning at all... as opposed to the tedium of traversing some vast landscape for 10min trying to get to a spawn thats already camped.

Don't mind gaining/loosing Faction Standings thingy.

Raids: Don't mind those either. In 4-5 yrs of gaming i've done one once and it was hella-fun. We slayed a Dragon and after it was done I was so elated that we were victorious that I didn't hang around for the loot session. So call me if ya need help with one cause they're a lot of fun.

To sum it up i'm a casual gamer who really likes mostly running around in these little virtual worlds seeing what the characters can do and enjoy how you folk enliven them with little personalities. I gave up television in favor of gaming as its by far more humorus and enjoyable than that ANY half hour sit com. And you know it!

I get to the point where I can support my game character (if char has housing etc.) and the rest is just seeing how much challenging fun I can have with fine folk like yourselves.

Originally posted by Thea Nightwind@Jun 19 2006, 12:54 AM
Game content and character ANIMATIONS!!!! are a must to me. If a character has to stand somewhere while someone is AFK have the char do something like brush their clothes off, comb their hair, polish their armour...something..anything but a static stance. So unique emotes for character race and or profession etc. would be cool stuff.
Amen to that! It's touches like that which add a sense life to a game, imo.

Speaking of animations and gestures, another small feature I always liked that only a couple current games do is making it so that the character's head actually turns in the direction you are looking or when you click on someone or something. It adds more realsim instead of the character just standing there always looking straight ahead like a zombie.

I just want to point out that EvE may only have 1 server but they have tons of zones. Every time you make a jump you're changing zones. They're also only running about 20,000 concurrent users max so they can get away with keeping everyone on one server. If they were running the million or so that are on WoW at peak times they'd have to have more servers or the boxes would crash - I know what kind of machines they're using and there are limits to the total number of concurrent connections and transactions those machines can handle.

I'd also like to comment on the whole enforcing RP idea. I'm all for role play, and I'm a huge fan of encouraging role play. However, "laying the smack down" on people that don't RP on a designated RP server is going to get into grey areas. Whose idea of RP are we using here? Yours, mine, some other random persons? See I don't have a problem with a good Monty Python crack, especially if it's appropriate to the situation but I know some people that would be up in arms about that. Who's right in that situation?

Would you rather see the GM punish someone, possibly kicking them off the server, for making an OOC comment or have them reward another player for finding an in character way to say the same thing? Personally, I'll take option 2 any day but if enough people want to play on a server with option 1 I'm not going to stop them, I just won't be joining them.

The number 1 thing i don't want to see in HJ is Simutronics allowing people with more cash IRL to gain an advantage in the game.

This worries me greatly becuase the game i play now from Simutronics, Dragonrealms, has 2 such things that fit into that catagory.

First off is the premium service. If you pay twice the normal subscription fee per month, you have access to in-game areas that standard subscribers don't. And IIRC, premium subscribers are also elegible for free prizes, contests, and other various goods and services that basic subscribers are not.

Second off is what I like to call the "pay-per-quest" or "pay-per-raid" system. I believe Simutronics calls these "ticketed events". Basically what happens here is you pay REAL LIFE cash for a ONE TIME opportunity to go on a quest with others that have also bought tickets. The most powerful and interesting items in the game all come from these "pay-per-events". So, those with limited budgets, or those just plain against the idea that RL cash should help you in game(like me) will never see these cool items unless we buy them, overpriced, from someone that has been on these events.(Yuck!)

This worries me greatly because of the fact that Simutronics uses these in their current games. Hopefully they will realize that stuff like this has no place in a mass-market MMORPG.

On a side subject, a pricing strategy i'm not against would be, lets say, charging extra for a specific server. Simutronics currently does this with their Platinum service, and i have no problem with that. Reason being is that the people who pay extra for the platinum service are segregated onto their own server, so the fact that they are paying extra does not give them any direct advantage over those paying the standard subscription.

I would actually like to see this in effect in HJ for lets say, a RP server. Can anyone think of a better way to keep non-RPers off of an RP server than to charge an extra few bucks a month for it? Even though i'm not much of a roleplayer, i do enjoy environments in which i am not disturbed by blatant OOC comments being made frequently. If Simu did infact realease a RP server that cost a little more, i would most likely be playing on it.

To sum it up i'm very, very against any pricing strategy that gives a direct advantage to players who are willing to fork out more RL cash. Hopefully most MMORPG players feel the same, and hopefully our voices will be heard on this matter.

Wow! I hope Simutronics doesn't carry premium service over to HJ. If they do, it's not the game for me. Everyone should be able to play on a level playing board where only their actions dictate their success. The kind of services or events Shadow mentions, can only discourage most players from wanting to play HJ. And that includes having servers you have to pay for. We play games for enjoyment, not for the uneven competition we face in every day life.

Yes, some players will accept it, but I think it sets a bad trend for future games, sorta like gold farming does. I won't even pay gaming sites for their premium services, like data bases. I will tolerate a few ads, non-intrusive, but I avoid sites like GameSpy.

The perks of premium service do not give you an advantage in Dragonrealms. The perks are fluff. I don't even remember the last time I was in a premium only hunting area.

Shadow said:
The number 1 thing i don't want to see in HJ is Simutronics allowing people with more cash IRL to gain an advantage in the game.This worries me greatly becuase the game i play now from Simutronics, Dragonrealms, has 2 such things that fit into that catagory.

Hmm... I forgot to add a comment. :rolleyes:

One thing I would like to see is the ability to solo fairly well in the game, and not be forced to group. I remember playing FFXI and you had to wait hours, sometimes days to actually get an invite to a group, only to have the group break up as soon as you travelled to them. Give us the ability to solo if we choose to. I liked that in GSIII you could grind solo all you wanted, and only needed to refill your bag of herbs and potions occasionally. Forced grouping just isn't fun.

Something else I think would be neat is player house customization. Sure, you can fill your house with chairs and plants, but do they serve any purpose most of the time? Nope! Maybe have some of the things you have in your house actually give you a little boost. Not a stat increase, but maybe something having to do with character morality. I know if I have a cute little kitty waiting at home for me, I'd fight just that little bit harder to kill that goblin!

Originally posted by Eve@Jun 20 2006, 05:54 PM
Shadow said:
The number 1 thing i don't want to see in HJ is Simutronics allowing people with more cash IRL to gain an advantage in the game.This worries me greatly becuase the game i play now from Simutronics, Dragonrealms, has 2 such things that fit into that catagory.
Here here.

~ Jaraeth

Originally posted by ShadowZERO@Jun 20 2006, 04:30 PM
To sum it up i'm very, very against any pricing strategy that gives a direct advantage to players who are willing to fork out more RL cash. Hopefully most MMORPG players feel the same, and hopefully our voices will be heard on this matter.

I noticed that tiered payscale on the DR site and thought it odd. Never heard of that one before... pay extra monthly fee and get...????

Just think. The first MMO with possible in game class envy. ACK!!!

yea, there is some premium envy in dr from time to time. they get a lot of cool events, extra character slots, have their own hunting grounds, and when they hold meetings every month get some nifty item [ same item for everone. anybody can have the items, in fact my last character had a few from meetings a long time ago, and i wasn't a premie, just have to wait for someone to give/sell it to you ] also get first chance at ticketed events, and items and services that normal paying players can never use.

I have to agree that added premium services will kill your subscrber base. Yes you will hold your diehard fans but as a whole the larger area of gamers won't go for this and probably not sign up. An even player field should definately be the goal for the big win. Other games out there with an even pay field turned into staggering sucesses.

Seiv

AHH!! THE TIERED PRICING DISCUSSION IS EVERYWHERE!!! :angry:

But anways, "Hero's Journey should not...." SUCK

Not saying it will, just saying it shouldnt.

Im shouldnt go bit someones head off, and I won't.

Back