In the Blink of an Eye

Chris is supposed to be her friend!! What the hell is wrong with him?! Awesome update. Can't wait for more.

Welcome new readers!!!! :D

Thanks to all of you who have been reading and replying... I love your responses! onto the next chapter!

Recap:

“Real responsible, Sydney. What are you going to tell us next, that you are pregnant?” The blush on my cheeks gave me away.

“No…way…” Kelly gasped. “Syd! How long?” I stared down at my hands. Finally, I told them about Valentine’s Day weekend and spring break, quietly, tears forming in my eyes. When I finished, Chris just glared at me and stormed out of the apartment. When that happened, I broke down in tears and collapsed on the couch.

Chapter 9:

After a minute, I felt Kelly sit down next to me and put her hand on my shoulder.
“Sydney…”
“It’s okay, Kelly. You can judge me too. I know I just lost Chris as a friend. I honestly didn’t mean for all this to happen. We didn’t get married to start a family. Yes, it was impulsive to get married but the baby really was an accident. We USE protection. It happened anyway. But we have a plan…I’m still going to work and go to school. He decided to move here and transfer schools. We saved so much money…” I sobbed into a pillow.

“Sydney…I’m not judging you. Look. My mom had my older HALF sister when she was 17.” I sat up and looked at her. She nodded. “Yeah. Erin is my half sister. Her father totally abandoned my mom when he found out. My dad was one of her best friends and stood by her, taking on Erin as his own. They got close and fell in love and then they had us eight years later. That is why Chris is being a jerk. He doesn’t really trust Mike yet and he doesn’t want you to get hurt.”

I sniffed. “But Michael is not like that. You should see how excited he is. He knows more about what’s going on with the pregnancy and with newborns than I do. He calls me to make me put the phone by my stomach to talk to the baby. He’s picking up his whole life to be here!”

Kelly nodded and rubbed my back. “I know Mike is a good guy and he’s not going to hurt you. And I’m here for you. I promise. You are not losing me as a friend. As long as I can be cool Aunt Kelly.” I laughed and told her she was more than welcome to be an Aunt. “So, tell me details! When are you due? Boy or girl?”

“Well, we don’t know the sex yet and we’re not positive we’re finding out or if we do, we’re keeping it a surprise. I’m due in late October.” We chatted for a bit longer before she said she had to go. She promised she’d try to talk to Chris as well as keeping the news quiet for a bit longer as long as she could tell her mother. I agreed.

“Look, Syd. If you ever need me for anything…I’m here for you.” I gave her a hug and thanked her. Once she left, I curled up on the sofa and cried some more because despite her words, the pain of how Chris acted never left me.

A few hours later I was all sniffly and just staring at the television mindlessly when my cell phone rang. It was Michael.
“Hi.”
He knew immediately that something was wrong. “What? What happened?” I told him what happened after we finished moving into the new apartment and how Chris and Kelly found out everything. I was crying so hard by the end of the story, I actually made myself sick and Michael had to listen to me vomit for a few minutes, which made him angrier than I’d ever seen or heard him.

“I’m going to kill him when I get to Vegas, Syd. I swear.”
“Stop it,” I hiccupped.
“NO. Look what he is doing to you and I can’t even be there to hold you and make you feel better. He’s road kill!”

“Michael…just…stop.” He heard me shuffle around and asked what I was doing.
“I just climbed into bed. I just want to go to sleep and forget all about today.” I curled up around my “Michael bear,” as he named it. It was a stuffed bear that was supposed to give me comfort when he wasn’t there with me. “Can you just talk to me about nice things until I fall asleep?”
He sighed and I could tell he was trying to control his anger. “I’m getting on a plane.”

“No, Honey. No. We both have finals. You are not coming here now.”
“You need me…”
“Well, yes, I always need you. But I do not want you coming here. You need to do well on your finals. I’m upset now but I’ll be better tomorrow. Just…please talk to me until I fall asleep.” He relented and did his best to make me feel better until he was sure I was asleep and softly hung up his phone.

~~~

I woke up Sunday morning feeling like a truck ran me over. Realizing I never ate dinner last night, I apologized to the baby and immediately chomped on a few crackers to ease my stomach into accepting regular food. Making no effort to look presentable, I stayed in my pajamas with my smeared makeup from yesterday’s crying fit and camped out on the couch to study for finals.

Around one in the afternoon, there was a gentle knock on my door. I opened it to find Mrs. Tyler standing on my doorstep. She looked startled at my appearance for a moment before sighing.
“Is this what my son did to you?” She asked, gently. Before I could reply, she came forward to hug me and asked if she could come in to talk. I nodded and said that I assumed Kelly told her everything. She confirmed that and sat down on my couch.

“Come, Sydney,” she gestured next to her. I sat and she took my hands. “So, Kelly told you about Erin.” I nodded. “So I have some experience with this…” She told me about Erin’s father and what it had been like to be such a young mother. “Sydney, I’m not going to lie and say it isn’t hard. But Michael seems like a wonderful boy and the fact that he is running towards you and not away from you speaks volumes. Chris just doesn’t like to see the people he loves get hurt and when he learned the truth about Erin, he was so angry with me for not fighting to have her father in her life and letting myself be in that situation where I got hurt. But he has no right to treat you this way and make you so upset, especially if you are his best friend, as he likes to say. I’m not making excuses for him, and he damn well needs to apologize to you himself, but I’m just simply stating why he is the way he is.” I nodded, not saying anything. “Sydney, I also want you to come to me if you ever need a mother figure. You know I think of you like a daughter anyway. And I want to offer you a gift.” She paused. “You know how I work from home, right?” I nodded. “Well, I’d like to volunteer to watch the baby for you when you go back to work and school. It would be really easy for me to have the baby around and still do my work, and I know how much money childcare could cost. Plus, it would be better for the baby if someone who truly loved it was taking care of it.”

I stared at her for a minute. “You’re serious?” She nodded. “And this wouldn’t put you out?”
“Not at all, Sweetie. This was my idea and I want to do it.”
“That is so unbelievably nice. I have to talk with Michael, of course, but I can’t see why he wouldn’t agree and I’d be honored if you want to do that for us. And I’m going to make sure the baby knows you as an honorary grandmother.”

She smiled. “My first grandbaby!” She joked, but deep down I knew she’d consider my child as one of her own grandchildren.
“Thank you, Mrs. Tyler…so much.”
“Okay, you really need to cut that out. Call me Maggie like I’ve told you to.”

“All right…Maggie.” We laughed and she said she had to get going but forcefully reminded me to go to her for anything. I hugged her tightly and thanked her for everything she already gave me.
I felt better once she left and sat down again to study. Michael called around three and I told him about Maggie’s visit. He jumped at the chance to have her watch the baby while we couldn’t.

“Syd, that’s so great. Seriously. Not only would we save so much money but also we know the baby would be safe with her. I hear so many things about some day care places that it scares me. I’m totally sending her a thank you. Can I have their address?” I gave it to him and we talked a few more minutes before I told him I needed a nap and I’d talk to him later on.
“Okay. Sweet dreams. Syd…it’s only two more weeks.”

>o<

Finals came and went and before I knew it, those two weeks passed and Michael was officially a resident of Las Vegas. On his first day here, he insisted on seeing Maggie, since he only met her briefly over new years. He was like an over-excited little puppy, hugging her constantly and expressing his thanks at her wanting to protect his child.

Before we left her house, she pulled me aside and told me I had a keeper. “I’ve never seen a young man so anxious to have a baby! You two are going to be just fine.”

I was now three months pregnant and things were progressing well and luckily for me, my work out regimen still kept me from really showing. If anyone noticed, it would actually just look like I was bloated. That secretly made me very happy. I decided I needed to sit down with Dave and tell him what was going to happen. He took the news well and told me to work up until whenever I needed to stop and that I’d be welcomed back with open arms when I was ready. I signed up for both sessions of UNLV’s summer classes and took full course loads for both sessions. Those would make up for the fall semester I missed by starting school in the spring and the fall semester I’d be taking off due to the baby arriving sometime in the middle of that semester. I did, however, find out about a six-week course that fit into my major I could take during the first half of the fall semester. I signed up for that because it would allow me to take a slightly lighter course load for the spring, which would give me more time for the baby.

Michael was busy with his internship and loving it. We settled into a comfortable pattern. We’d wake up and have breakfast. He’d go off to his job while I would either go to class, the library to do assignments, or work. Some days, when I had the dinner shift at the restaurant, we wouldn’t see each other until he’d wake up when I collapsed into bed around two in the morning. Once he expressed concern that I was pushing myself too much but when we called the doctor to ask, she said it was good I was staying active and as long as I was eating healthy and felt fine, I could continue with my schedule.

June arrived and it was time for our next doctor’s appointment. I had a slightly larger bulge in my abdomen, but it still didn’t look too much like a pregnancy bump. Again, that didn’t upset me.
The doctor was surprised that I didn’t show too much but after thoroughly examining me, she pronounced the baby to be developing just fine.

“I guess all that exercise is paying off, Sydney. You are eating properly, correct?”
“Does she ever eat!” Michael broke in. “She polished off an entire bag of cookies herself the other day.” I playfully slapped him while the doctor laughed.

“So do you two want to know what you are having?” Dr. Barnes asked as we watched our little peanut squirm around my uterus on the sonogram machine. I nodded eagerly. Michael took hold of my hand and we turned to look at the doctor. “Well, I’m pleased to tell you that you are having a little girl.”
“A girl!” I cried. My secret wish had come true. I looked at Michael, hoping he wasn’t disappointed but he had a huge grin on his face and his eyes were sparkling.

The doctor chatted with us for a little more, giving us some more instructions and telling me to return in four weeks. We thanked her, made the next appointment and left, beginning the walk home hand in hand.
“So are you happy with a girl?” I asked him. He nodded.

“I wanted a girl,” he confessed, somewhat shyly.
“Really?”
“Yeah. I wanted a little princess I could spoil and put little shirts on that say ‘Daddy’s little girl.’” I laughed. “One day, Syd, a boy would be nice but I did want a girl.”
“Me too,” I also confessed. “But…can we still make the nursery blue? Or maybe keep it ivory and have hints of blue? I love blue and it is a really soothing color.”

“That will look nice, Syd. I like it.” I smiled.
“So, now that we know that little Jaclyn Faith is on her way, do we tell the parents? Or keep them guessing?”
“Let’s keep them guessing. I can’t believe everyone will be here in just a few days.” I nodded and agreed but told him he’d have to keep an eye on me from blurting it out. Suddenly, it seemed so much more real to me. My grin got wider and I gripped his hand even tighter.

“We’re having a baby!” I squealed. He laughed.

“I was waiting for you to get excited…took you long enough.” He stopped walking and swept me up in his arms right there on the sidewalk, kissing me deeply. “I love you so much, Sydney Anne. And I love our little Jaclyn.” We made it home quickly and gently made love to celebrate our happiness. Life was good.

TBC...sometime tomorrow!! Next up, the parents come to visit. All the parents.

PM List:

xMountineer02300844x
farliieansds225
oooRevesDouxooo
Kate_14
AliasSydney502
mnkdance963
texasalias2004
SpygirlAmy
Prediction 47
LittleNicky
Angel
NadiaSantosFan
Tubby
Mallory
Jen-Jen
Jadeygirl
sand2604
syd-157
fire*N*ice
syd26
6helterskelter6
sydneymicheal
gtwallichs

Yea I glad that Michael is finally in Vegas and that they are both happy. I guess that Chris will come around sometime. Can't wait for the parents.

texasalias

That was so sweet!!
They are together, and happy!!
And having a little girl!
And the parents are coming!
LOVE IT!!
Can't wait for more!!
Thanks for the pm!!

YA I'm glad Vaughn is finally in Vegas!!!!
-Aww Syd is finally excited...and I love the name Jaclyn Faith....too cute!!! :love:
And I'm glad Maggie is so helpful!!!!
-Loved it!! Thanks for the pm!!

Wow. I've missed a lot. Mrs. Tyler aka Maggie is so nice and sweet. Chris...*shakes finger* and Kelly was so cute, "As long as I'm cool Aunt Kelly." That just cracked me up. :rotflmao: I'm so glad that everyone is very understanding. Hope nothing goes wrong when the parents meet. Thanks for the PM's.

-erin :smiley:

Ok, so I am like, definitely way too excited about what's coming up in the fic so you guys are getting lucky and getting a second update tonight, just mere hours after the first one.
Enjoy it b/c the last chapter is TOMORROW (THURSDAY).

So here you go.. update #2 for Wednesday...

Recap:

“I was waiting for you to get excited…took you long enough.” He stopped walking and swept me up in his arms right there on the sidewalk, kissing me deeply. “I love you so much, Sydney Anne. And I love our little Jaclyn.” We made it home quickly and gently made love to celebrate our happiness. Life was good.

Chapter 10

The day before my dad and the Vaughn’s were going to arrive, Michael and I spent the entire day cleaning and organizing until we could find no fault in the apartment. While we were scrubbing one of the bathrooms, I asked him what Eric said before Michael left Seattle.

“Oh!” He burst out laughing. “I can’t believe I forgot to tell you this story. So, we’re in Kyle’s room, drinking the last of the beer and Eric made some corny speech about me growing up and moving off to Las Vegas and next year when everyone was 21, they’d come visit for a boys weekend. I was just like, yeah yeah…and then Kyle sent us off to get some more ice. So the two of us are walking in the quad…”

Flashback
“Dude, I so can’t wait till we come out there and party. We can go see some strippers and drink all night long…”
“Yeah, about that…” Michael stopped Eric in his tracks. “There’s something important I have to tell you…and you can not tell anyone for another few weeks, but I’m telling you because I’m leaving tomorrow.”
“Okay…”
“So I don’t really think the strippers and partying is going to work out because 1) I’m going to be living in an apartment with Sydney, not a dorm room. 2) We’re married. And 3) There will be a baby in the house so you can’t stay there and I can’t come home trashed, not that I’d even want to at that point.”
Eric looked confused for a second. “Whatever man, that’s not funny.”
“I’m not joking.” Michael held up his left hand, which had the wedding ring on it.
Eric looked at his hand in disbelief, then an expression crossed over his face like Michael had just killed his puppy. “You’re seriously married?” Michael nodded. “And Sydney’s having a baby?”
“Uh…remember when she came to surprise me for Valentine’s Day?” Eric stared at him.
“EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWW you conceived a BABY that weekend? In OUR room? OUR room turned into a baby making factory?”
“SSSHHH! Keep your voice down!” Eric started hyperventilating.
“But…but… I’m not old enough to be an Uncle! I can’t even catch a football without dropping it.” Michael rolled his eyes. “Wait…so you knocked her up and were forced to marry her, right?”
“Not exactly…” He poured out the whole story. Eric sat in shock for a solid ten minutes before mumbling congratulations.
“I was wondering what made you leave when you and Syd seemed to have a great relationship at different colleges. Now I know. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.”
“Stop saying wow. I’m excited.” He apologized.
“So, no one else knows.” Michael shook his head.
“I’m telling you because you’ve been my best friend for as long as I can remember and I wanted you to know the truth. The only people who know about the baby are our parents right now. Syd is actually less excited than I am.”
“Okay, I swear I’ll keep it a secret. But you have to promise to stay in touch…don’t become all old and boring now.” Michael laughed and promised.
End Flashback

I was laughing by the end of the story. “Poor Eric.” Ironically, as we were speaking about him, the delivery guy came to our door and handed us a small package sent from Eric Weiss himself. Michael looked afraid and told me not to be offended by whatever he had decided to send us. Cautiously, we opened the package. Lying on top was a card. It was a typical “Congrats on the Baby” card and inside all he had written was that he found some fun things the little “Vaughn-meister” needed to have. We opened the bag to find a little onesie with the words “I drink till I pass out, just like Daddy,” another onesie with the words “Mommy shops because I cry,” a set of tiny t-shirts with different words like, “cranky,” “stinky,” and “screamer,” a bib that read, “I’m a Keeper,” and two little hats that read either “My Daddy is a stud,” or “My Mommy is hot.” We looked at each other and burst out laughing.

“Where did he find this stuff?” I cried out, clutching my sides.
“I dunno, but I would have LOVED to see Weiss in whatever store he was in, picking out baby clothes.” We laughed even harder and then called and left a message on his cell phone thanking him for his donations and that we fully intended on using them, in addition to having a t-shirt made up for the baby that said, “My Uncle Eric is a loser.” He called us back within ten minutes saying that wasn’t funny and we assured him we were just kidding and that we really did find the gifts funny and would use them.

Around three, we decided to take the bus to the Babies R’ Us that was about twenty-five minutes away. First we registered for anything we needed in case anyone asked what we wanted for a gift.

Then we decided to put the gift certificates our parents gave us toward a crib and headed over to the furniture section. After wandering a bit, I fell in love with a natural colored crib that had a simple etched design. “Michael…” He came to stand by my side.
“I love it.”

“Me too.” We checked the price and realized it was much less than we anticipated. “So should we use the rest of the money for bedding or a stroller? Or towards a changing table? Or a dresser? Oh god…we have so much to buy…” I said, suddenly feeling faint. He noticed I turned pale and led me towards a bench.
“Sit…” He sat next to me and took my hands in his. “Breathe, Sydney. We’re okay. We’ve been saving, remember?”

I nodded. “I just didn’t realize how much we needed to get.”
“Sshhh…it’ll be okay. I’m SURE our parents will treat us to a few things when they get here tomorrow. And you know people are going to give us gifts…that’s why we created the registry with everything we want.” I leaned into his shoulder.

“Okay. Let’s just go look at the rest of the furniture. Maybe they have a dresser and changing table that match the crib.” He nodded and we worked our way through the rest of the furniture. The store ended up having the matching pieces and we got a deal on everything since they were discontinuing the pattern. We only had to spend $200 more than our gift certificates, which was not bad for three pieces of furniture. The store even said they could deliver the pieces tonight around eight and the only piece that would need to be assembled was the crib. While Michael was settling the details of the delivery, I wandered over to look at the bedding. I wanted something simple and cute, but not super girly.

My eyes caught sight of a crib bedding set in the exact colors I wanted for Jaclyn’s room, ivory and blue. The blanket was an ivory color, bordered with pale blue, with blue stars, white clouds and yellow moons dotting the interior. It was perfect. Lost in my thoughts, I didn’t notice Michael come up next to me. “I love this.” I looked at him smiling.

“I have to take it home today. I don’t want to risk it being gone.”
“I agree. Is there anything else we want while we’re here?”
“I’m almost afraid to look because we’ll just spend more money.” Michael laughed.
“Let’s just look quickly. We can give ourselves 20 minutes and then pay for whatever we picked up besides this bedding set.” I agreed and we set off in a random direction.

“Oh…mobiles!” I pointed and we headed over. “Awww, look at this one!” I gently fingered one that had bunnies and sheep dancing under a light blue canopy.”
“But this one goes with the bedding,” Michael said, looking at one that had a giant moon in the middle and blue and green stars around it.

“You’re right. That one is better. I guess Jaclyn’s room is going to be stars and moons. I sure hope she’ll like it.”
He gently turned me towards him and kissed my lips lightly while rubbing my stomach. “She’s going to love it.”

One more stop took us to where the nightlights were. We found an adorable star shaped light that would cast a pale blue glow. In addition, Michael found a light switch plate that was covered in stars and moons. Armed with the four additional purchases, we paid and headed home to wait for the furniture.
The delivery men came and set the dresser and changing table down in the room, right where we wanted them, and left the box with the crib on the floor. After dinner, we sat down for two hours and successfully put the crib together. Afterwards, we stood in the doorway, looking at how much we accomplished today and smiled. This was our new life.

~~~

My dad and Michael’s parents both decided to stay at the MGM again so around ten in the morning the next day, Michael and I met them for breakfast.
“Dad, this is Amelia and Bill Vaughn. Amelia and Bill, this is my dad, Jack,” I said, making introductions. They all shook hands and we sat down to breakfast. Luckily, everyone got along great and the parents’ were all anxious to see our new apartment. Before we left the hotel, my dad pulled Michael and I aside.

“Sydney…with a baby comes a lot more things you need…and it’s hard to shop without a car. And if I remember correctly, someone was given a high school graduation present that she left at home…” He trailed off as my eyes widened.

“Dad…you didn’t…” He nodded.
“You said your complex gives you free parking spaces and you two will definitely need at least one car with the baby. It’s still your car Sydney. That was never going to change. While we were at breakfast, it was delivered to your spot, complete with a brand new state of the art car seat.” We were at a loss for words.
“Thank you, Dad. Really. Thank you for buying it back then and letting me still have it now.” Michael also expressed his gratitude.

“You are very welcome. Don’t forget to open the trunk…there might be more surprises…”
“Daddy!”
“What? You are my only little girl and this is my first grandchild. He or she deserves only the best and I want to do this for all of you.” He glanced at me before continuing. “Now, before you say anything, I’m not doing this to buy your love. I’m doing this because I am really happy and excited for you and I actually enjoyed picking out all the baby things.” The three of us laughed and we joined up with the Vaughn’s. All of us headed out for the leisurely stroll back to the apartment.

The parents were impressed with the apartment and loved the baby furniture we purchased just the day before. They all fawned over the latest little sonogram print out and tried to guess if it was a boy or girl. We kept our mouths shut and luckily the things we bought didn’t give it away, although we suspected they thought it was a boy since blue was a predominant color. However, my dad did point out to everyone that blue was simply my favorite color so my purchases meant nothing.

The rest of the visit went well. The parents all hung around together while Michael and I were either at work or class, in my case. They also got a hold of our Babies R Us registry and decided to spoil us some more, in addition to what my dad left for us in the car.

We were grateful but tried to insist they didn’t have to do so much. No one listened so in the end, we went with it. By the time they all left a few days later, the nursery looked like it was ready for a baby tomorrow, not in five months.

>o<

Summer flew by and the bulge grew larger but still, it only looked like I was gaining weight, not necessarily pregnant. I still was selfishly pleased about this. My doctor said it was fine since the baby appeared to be developing perfectly. Classes passed and towards the end of August, when I was about seven months pregnant, I stopped work. Michael started his fall semester and kept interning for the Harrah’s Entertainment Corporation because they loved him and wanted to keep him on.

I took my six-week class and finished preparing the nursery. The class ended at the end of September and then on October 7th, something happened that was unexpected. My water broke.
I panicked and called Michael at school. “You have to come home!” I cried.

“What? Why? Syd, I have a midterm in like, a half hour. The one that counts for like 60% of my grade.”
“MY WATER BROKE.”
“But its three weeks early!”
“NO felgercarb. You have to come help me!” I started sobbing. He said he’d go talk to his professor and would get to me as soon as he could.
I called my doctor who told me to get to the hospital.

~~~

Michael ran toward his professor’s office in the Battelle building. He didn’t notice Chris standing inside, near Professor Shaw’s office.
“Professor Shaw, I need to talk to you!” He cried, running inside.
“Yes, Mr. Vaughn?”

“Is there any way I can take the midterm another day? I have a huge emergency.”
“I don’t think so, I need to have the grades in by Friday. What could possibly be so important?”
“My wife went into labor, I have to get to her.”

Professor Shaw looked Michael up and down. “Your wife in labor? That is a pretty inventive excuse there, Mr. Vaughn.”
Michael stared at the professor in disbelief. “I’m not lying, she seriously just called me in tears.”
“Mr. Vaughn. The answer is simple. You either come to class in ten minutes and take your midterm or you don’t. If you do the latter, you can just retake the class. Good day.”

The professor brushed past Michael and went to the faculty lounge while he stood in shock. “What the frack am I going to do?”

TBC tomorrow... and it is the last update for this story!!

PM List:

xMountineer02300844x
farliieansds225
oooRevesDouxooo
Kate_14
AliasSydney502
mnkdance963
texasalias2004
SpygirlAmy
Prediction 47
LittleNicky
Angel
NadiaSantosFan
Tubby
Mallory
Jen-Jen
Jadeygirl
sand2604
syd-157
fire*N*ice
syd26
6helterskelter6
sydneymicheal
gtwallichs

yay thanx for the 2nd update!!!
loved it
it was awesome
loved weiss's presents for the baby
the nursery sounds like its awesome
vaughn should leave and just come in like the next day with baby jaclyn and be like see i told you my wife was in labor
or maybe chris will help
awesome update
thanx for the pm
so sad its ending
cant wait for tomorrow

WOW!!
I had to take my stupid internet traffic class, and was hating it...Then I just decided to drop in on the site, And you updated!!!
So exciting!! And she's in labor, can't wait to see what's going to happen tomorrow!!
Thanks for the pm!!

Back