Partners

oh my...i haven't read this in a while, since we've been so busy after family stuff...but OMG, I LOVED IT! i'm sorry i haven't read this in a while and everything like that, and thanks for the numerous PMs, and i just absolutely loved it, and if i had known about the contest earlier, i would have nominated you myself

but yeah, i hope that you win the contest, this fic ROCKS, so i hope you write more soon!

I will be gone for awhile until August. so I'm terribly sorry to leave you guys hanging...please forgive me :( You guys are great! Thank you to everyone who reads and responds. It really does help a writer out. :D Take care.

Hi guys! Here is all I wrote so far....you are now caught up with the SD-1 folks. :D

Chapter 16

While the crowd is distracted by the instrumentalists, she snatches his sleeve and quickly rushes toward the back hallway. From her peripheral vision, she notices two burly securities guards eyeing them suspiciously. As they round the corners and rush downstairs, all they hear is the clicking of her three-inch heals. It is a wonder that she doesn’t trip. She slows down her pace once she believes that they are far away enough from the guests upstairs. She hasn’t even realized that her hand is still on his arm until he shrugs it off once they come to a halt.

“ Sorry, I thought I saw guards…” she explains quickly. He doesn’t say anything and turns his head. She rolls her eyes and lets out a huff of indignation. Even after the mad dash and call of truce, he is still upset?

“Vaug…” she opens her mouth, but he holds up his hand to silence her. He turns his head to examine which corridor they ended up at while mentally going over the map that they were given during the mission detailing. Taking a few steps around a corner, he sees rows of doors down the hallway.

“Where did you take us?” he wonders while opening a door and peeking inside. She leans over his shoulder to take a look as well. Feeling her warm breath on his neck and seeing what’s inside this bizarre room makes his spine tingle.

“ What the…” they both turn to look at each other. The room is completely empty except for the rows and rows of brown crates covered in glass. Everything else is gray. The walls, the floor, and the doors on the sides as well. The only signs of dim light come from beneath the glass coverings.

She looks at him questioningly, “ Leave or explore?” They stare at each other for a few seconds, and without even speaking, they both step into the room. Neither one is able to let curiosity simply pass by.

Before they get close enough to the first box, they hear the frantic voices of two guards coming increasingly closer.

“Hanno guardato sospettoso! Ho visto che loro sono venuti questa maniera!”

Vaughn grabs her waist and flings them both into the nearest side closet. Inside the closet, it is pitch black. There is not much space in the cramped closet. Her back is pressed against the stacked boxes and he is forced to hunch over her form.

They try to keep silent and still as they hear the footsteps of the guards stamp around the room. He is so close that she can actually feel his breathing against her face and it only makes her more nervous. Her heart beats faster and faster and she has no idea why she feels like she’s losing control. Is his presence suffocating her? She was never clausterphobic before. Her nerves won’t settle and she begins to vibrate slightly.

He senses a sudden change from her and wonders if she is all right. Though he can’t make out her face, he feels her trembling figure next to him. He wonders if she is cold. How can she not be with her barely-there dress? He wants to reach out for her, but knows he can’t make a sound while the guards are still close by. Shifting his weight forward, he moves in closer hoping it would make her warmer.

She stifles a gasp as he leans in. He is too close. Too close for comfort she decides and shifts her body to the right only to find the edge of a box digging sharply into her back. Like a reflex, her body flinches away from the sharp point and goes straight into his chest. His arms immediately go around her shoulder to steady her. His hands give her shoulders a tight squeeze as if asking, “ are you okay?” but without words. After the initial stiffness at his touch, she surprisingly takes comfort it in.

She closes her eyes and mentally counts backward from twenty. With every descending number, her nerves slow down and become calmer. Ten. Nine. A small release of breath. Five. Four. Her muscles unclench. Three. Two. One. She opens her eyes feeling in control again. She lifts her hand to where his are covering her shoulder and taps lightly to signal that she is fine. Thank goodness, he thinks and lets his body relaxes again.

They hear the guards footsteps disappear and the click of a closed door. They both release their held breathes, but no one moves. She stays leaning into him and he keeps his arms on her shoulder.

After an uncomfortable silence, she whispers, “ I’m sorry,” and puts her head down.

“ Syd…You don’t have to be sorry for changing the plans. I should…” he whispers into her blond wig.

She shakes her head. “ No…not that,” she cuts him off. “ I…I meant about how I acted in front of Anna…I don’t know…” She can barely get the words out it is so humiliating. She hates herself for the way she acted.

“ what came over you?” he helps her finish. She nods her head in confession.

“ I didn’t like that she was talking to you.”

Trying to make her feel better, he offers his understanding. “ You were only concerned that she was using me.”

She swallows down a lump in her throat. She doesn’t deserve his understanding. What she did was inexcusable. “ No…I don’t think that was it…I...when I saw…Anna…I…and you…and on the balcony…I…” She is completely confused. The same annoying questions during the limo ride flow back into her brain again.

He raises his eyebrow trying desperately to follow her train of thought, but it is no use. The woman is completely incoherent, and he is slightly amused.

“ Syd…” he grabs her arm again. “ I’m a spy…not a mind-reader, unlike yourself,” he chuckles. The mention of balcony got him thinking about their little conversation earlier. “You’re going to have to be a little more clear.” He smiles in the dark. “ What are you trying to say?”

For some odd reason, she sees him smile even in the pitch black and she feels a knot in her stomach. “ I’m trying to say….”

“ Yes?” he is surprised at his own rise in excitement.

“ I’m sorry for using you. For making you uncomfortable. For touching you and playing with your collar...You were right…and I’m sorry.” She wants to hide from him. She wants to shrink down and disappear.

Her admission shocks him. How he wished her actions were because of another reason. It hurts to be right sometimes. However painful, he is grateful for her honesty. He is the one that’s been lying every single day that it is hard to decipher between truth and lies.

“ It’s okay,” he says reassuringly.

“ No. You don’t have to forgive me. I won’t touch you like that again…It won’t happen…” she begins to babble again.

“ Syd…it’s okay. I didn’t mind the way you were touching me,” he blurts out almost unconsciously. All of a sudden, they both feel a sudden surge of heat to their faces. “ I mean…I understand.” He lets go of her arms and takes a step back.

“ We should really get to the suitcases.” She finally says.

Returning his thoughts back to the mission, he quickly comes up with an idea of how to complete his counter. “ Syd, I think you might want to go for the suitcase in the right hallway. You want to switch?” He holds his breath awaiting her answer.

“ What? Why?” she is thrown off. “ Sloane told me to get the one on the left. Why would you want to switch?”

Chapter 17

Vaughn tries to shake away her penetrating stare by tilting his head downward. In his mind, he quickly goes over the options again. He doesn’t want to lie anymore, but Kristine’s voice pounds inside his head. This is your job. You have to do it.

Sydney confusion quickly turns to concern. “ Vaughn, is something the matter?”

“ Uh no…It’s just that I thought I saw Anna go down the right stairway,” he winces as the lies just flow out, hoping that she wouldn’t be able to sense the tension and hesitation in his voice.

She is thrown off. “ So?…Why….why would that make a difference?” Why is he acting weird all of sudden? Is he trying to get back at her for changing the plan before?

“ I would think that you’d want the chance to…you know, show her up,” his tries to mask his real agenda by turning it to be about her.

“ What? What makes you think I…care what she…”

He doesn’t let her finish. “ Come on Syd. It’s obvious…what happened upstairs. You can’t tell me that you don’t have this…competition…with her?”

Her eyes widen and heat rises to her cheeks in embarrassment. He called her on her silly juvenile urges, and he’s right. But she doesn’t want to admit it. “ I didn’t know I was that obvious,” she lets her voice and head fall in shame.

“Syd…” he taps her wrist lightly to make her look up at him. “ I didn’t mean it in a bad way. It’s actually…good.” He sees that she’s still embarrassed. “You’re an amazing agent. You know that? I see this fire inside that motivates you. To do good. To do better than anyone else. It’s not juvenile…it’s what we all need sometimes. That extra push. Not everyone has it, but you do…and I see it.” He can’t believe he said all that. Once he started talking, the words just came out, and he wasn’t lying. It is the truth. Her determination and that fire leaves him in awe sometimes. Though he doesn’t have the courage to admit it, it sparks something inside him.

His words make the knot in her stomach tighter. No one has ever complimented her on her work like that. She knew that Dixon and Sloane were always thanking her for a job well done when a mission was complete, but they never showed such faith in her. Or said that they SAW inside her. They haven’t even completed the mission yet, and he has so much confidence in her. She knows they are not empty words either. They can’t be. Not when they seem so sincere.

“Fine…” she smiles. “ You got me. I could never pass up the chance to beat Anna. Even a blind person could see that.”

“ Besides…a little friendly competition never hurt anyone,” he adds on. She could have sworn she saw him wink in the darkness, and could not stifle a laugh.

As Vaughn runs down the corridor, he turns back to watch her speed off in the opposite direction. He’ll deal with how he’ll explain why Anna was actually not there after he completes the counter-mission.

Winding from hallway to hallway, he feels the adrenaline pumping through his veins. With his back against a wall, he leans his head over the side to survey the entrance to the doorway. Two guards with guns lean against the doorframe looking as if they were about to doze off. He smirks at the realization that this easier than he remembered. It should be free sailing from now on.

Two guards down. Not too rusty for being out of practice….

What was the code to the keypad again?….think…think…yes, right. 271845

Behind the imitation Monet…Getting closer….

How’s Syd doing? She’s probably finished. Must work faster….

The suitcase…lighter than expected…come on, head out.

Almost there….suitcase in had….just got to meet the CIA contact waiting for the fake suitcase and that’s it…he’s waiting at the right hallway….almost…around the corner and…

“Vaughn!” A voice calls from behind.

****!

He halts in his tracks.

“ Where are you going? It’s the middle hallway…remember?” Clutching the suitcase against her chest, she is slightly out of breath.

His heart beat picks up pace and his mind races to come up with an explanation. There is no way he could pretend he didn’t hear her and ignore her call. Damn it!

“Vaughn?” She tries again after he doesn’t respond.

Clenching his teeth, he takes a deep breath and slowly turns around. “ Oh yeah…you’re right…” he sighs regretfully as he takes big strides to close the gap between them.

“ You forgot?” she questions skeptically. As he approaches, she searches his face and body posture to try and read him. But she doesn’t understand his dejected demeanor. Why does he look like he just failed something? She feels a slight touch of sadness at the thought that she might know him at all. Every time she thinks they are making progress, and she thinks she understands him, he acts strange all of a sudden. Why is it that he can read her, but she can’t read him?

“No….just temporarily confused…Come on. Let’s hurry.” he tries to act normal again. She doesn’t buy his act, but knows they are pressed for time. They lost precious mission time on the dance floor and during the closet detour.

She follows closely behind as they near the last door in the hallway. He hesitates as his hand reaches for the door handle. This is it, he thinks. Once you hand them the suitcase, you will have failed your counter-mission. His mouth goes dry and he freezes. He can’t fail. This is only the first assignment. His legs stick to the ground and he feels as if he’s sinking down.

Sydney shoves him aside and in a swift motion pushes the door open. In the dimly light room, there is only a desk. They see the arm of a man but can not see his face for he has the back of the chair turned toward them.

They give each other a quick glance and look back at the mysterious man. Sydney clears her throat and is the first to speak. “ We have the suitcases…” she swallows down a lump in her throat.

The chair creaks as it swivels to one side.

“ Sydney…” Slowly, the man turns to face the two agents.

Vaughn watches as her face turns completely white. She sucks in the air quickly in a muffled gasp. “ Dad?…” her voice cracks.

She feels dizzy. Her body slowly sways from side to side. Vaughn reaches a hand out to her waist to steady her. He is equally as confused. What is going on? He looks at Sydney and simply gets a blank expression. Timidly, he turns his head to look at the man in the chair. He is greeted with a stern stare and he quickly removes his hand from her waist.

“ Sydney…” the man repeats.

She shakes her head as feeling finally returns to her numb body. “ What is going on? ….I thought…” All her thoughts are disorganized and she has no control over what she is saying.

“ Sydney…I’ll explain later,” he replies coolly.

“ You….you….” her breathing becomes uneven. “ I thought you sold airplane parts….” she hisses.

“ We can NOT discuss this now…”

“ You…lied to me….this whole time…” The color returns to her cheeks as a sudden rush of anger overwhelms her. “ You…I can’t believe…”

“ Sydney!! Sloane will explain when you get back.” His tone is harsh. Her bottom chin quivers as she closes her mouth.
Jack Bristow sees that she is in a calmer state and directs his attention to her partner.

“ Mr. Vaughn…the suitcases?” He gestures for him to step forward and stares him straight in the eyes. This man is intimidating, but Vaughn tries to remain composed. Slowly, he walks to Sydney. As he pries the suitcase from her death grip, his eyes question, “ you okay?” Not wanting to make eye-contact, she looks away, but loosens her grip so he can take the suitcase. Trying to shut out everyone else in the room, she walks to the dark corner of the room to be by herself.

With both suitcases in hand, Vaughn inches toward the desk. All the time, he keeps his gaze on the floor. His sweaty hands place the suitcases one on top of the other. Just as he is about to retract his hand, a tight grip grabs his wrist. His whole body tenses and he is forced to look up at the man who is Sydney’s father. At the glare, Vaughn feels himself shrink to the size of a mouse.

“ Mission complete…Mr.Vaughn.” He hears as he feels the edge of a piece of paper scratch his palm. Vaughn closes his hands on the piece of paper as Mr. Bristow releases his grasp. Vaughn looks down at the red marks of on his wrist and turns his palm upward. Through the crinkled paper, he deciphers…

I know who you work for

ohhh ha i read that chap over on Sd-1. any new chaps before you leave.
--Mandy :angelic:

ok first off i have to say that you are an outstanding writer!!! wow this is sooooo good!!! im really sad that you wont have any new chaps til aug!!! aww im goin to miss your story!!

OMG!! This is such a great story!! Truely one of the best!! I can't wait for the next chapters!! Could I get a PM when you post the next chapters also?? Thanks.
Again, amazing story!! I love Vaughn being the double!!
-Karie-

Back