Right In Front Of Me

okay i'm going to start putting links to all the chaps in the very first post = i hope that helps you all find the chaps easier

Chapter 6
“Sydney,” Amelia shook her softly the next morning to wake her up. “Sydney, your father’s here.”

“Mmm, my dad?” she mumbled.

“Yes, he’s here,” Amelia told her.

Sydney sat up and yawned. “Where’s Michael?”

“He went to work about an hour ago,” Amelia told her.

“Oh,” she sighed as she slid out of bed. She slowly shuffled up the steps and found her father waiting in the kitchen. “Where’s Mom?” she asked immediately.

“She’ll be home soon. Why don’t you come with me? Thanks for everything, Amelia,” he added to the woman standing behind Sydney. Sydney didn’t move and Jack had to practically drag her out of the house.

“Dad, stop it!” Sydney snapped at him. “I want to know where Mom is! What the hell is going on?!” she demanded.

“I’m going to tell you, but not in the middle of the backyard,” Jack grunted at his daughter. Sydney stormed past him and into the house where she sat down at the kitchen table and waited for him impatiently. “Sydney, remember how your mother and I mentioned we lived in California before moving here?”

“Yeah…,” Sydney said slowly, not seeing how that had anything to do with anything.

“Well… when we lived out there, I worked for the CIA,” Jack told her.

For a moment, Sydney thought he was confused. If she hadn’t known that her father was never one to tease or jest, she would have thought he was joking. “What?! You were like… a spy?!”

“Yes,” Jack nodded.

With this, Sydney laughed as she tried to imagine her father holding a gun. “You’re joking.”

“No,” he said. “There is more to the story but I’ll wait for your mother to get home,” he told her.

“Where is she?” Sydney asked.

“There was a… misunderstanding. She’ll be home this afternoon,” Jack told her cryptically.

Her eyes narrowed and she shook her head at him. “I can’t believe you lied to me.”

“We didn’t lie, Sydney; we just cannot be open about this. It is very delicate and it means that you can’t tell anyone about this, not Michael, not even your sister,” he told her.

“WHAT!? I have to keep this from Nadia?!” she gasped. Jack nodded. “This is ridiculous,” Sydney muttered as she stormed away from the table and up to her room to change and shower. All she could think about was how they must have gone insane. Her father couldn’t possibly be a spy. Spies were strange people, full of secrets. They crept into hidden places without being noticed, they were stealth, slim and fit. None of those things described her father.

Yet as she showered, she thought back to odd secretive things that happened around her house. She was never allowed to touch any of the drawers in her parents bedroom bureau. Was perhaps a gun hidden there? And there was the locked cabinet in her father’s office. There were things that didn’t make sense, but now maybe they did, then again, she was so confused that she didn’t know what to think anymore.

After her shower, Sydney retreated to her room and curled up in her bed with a book since she had called in to work that day due to a ‘family emergency’. Just as she was cleaning up what she had eaten for lunch, she heard two car doors slam outside and she raced to the front door. When she saw her mother, she nearly screamed in horror because of the fact that Irina’s lip was cut and there was another slice above her right eyebrow. “MOM! Oh god Mom, what happened to you?!” Sydney cried as she flung herself at her mother.

“I’m alright, Sydney,” Irina sighed in a rather haggard way as she hugged her daughter.

“But you’re cut and bleeding and there were people with guns and Dad’s a spy… WHO THE HELL ARE YOU PEOPLE?!” Sydney wailed frantically.

“Sydney, come inside; we’ll tell you everything,” Jack said as he led them into the house. Once inside he sat Sydney, who was still clinging to her mother, down on the couch and he sat across from her on the coffee table.

“Sydney, what I told you before was the truth. I did work for the CIA; I was a spy and so was your mother,” Jack told her.

“Mom…,” Sydney said in horror as she slid away from her. Irina nodded slowly. “You… you worked for the CIA?”

“No, sweetheart, I worked for Russia,” Irina told her. Sydney looked only more confused and horrified.

“We didn’t tell you before because it was dangerous to know-”

“Danger?! We’re in danger?!” Sydney asked.

“No, we’re not,” Jack said firmly. “But it’s not something you spread around. We couldn’t tell you when you were younger and have you accidentally tell your friends. No one can know about this.”

“But I still don’t understand… what happened yesterday… and, and weren’t the Russian’s enemies of the US back in the fifties or whatever?” Sydney asked with confusion.

“Yes Sydney, well, sort of,” Irina told her. “It’s very, very complicated, but yes I was spying against the US and then I turned myself in. But you see recently, the government suspected a spy who had turned themselves in years ago was active once more. They thought it was me; but it’s not,” Irina assured her.

“We left all of that behind when we moved here from California,” Jack explained.

“So… so you’re not spies anymore?” Sydney asked slowly.

“No,” Jack and Irina said together.

“And…and why can’t Nadia know?” Sydney asked.

“Well… she’s a little young,” Irina said. “We’ll tell her eventually.”

“Okay…,” Sydney said. “I…I need to go for a walk,” she said before getting up from the couch and walking towards the front door.

“Sydney!” her father called after her.

“Yeah, yeah I know, don’t tell Michael,” she sighed before leaving.

“Okay…,” Sydney said. “I…I need to go for a walk,” she said before getting up from the couch and walking towards the front door.

“Sydney!” her father called after her.

“Yeah, yeah I know, don’t tell Michael,” she sighed before leaving.
Bet that'll be hard!! Loved the chapter. Can't wait till next one.

I bet Michael will know she is keeping something from him, but she won't be able to tell him what it is. This could get messy for them.
Great update

Hi Janet,

First..thank you for putting the chapter links on the first page. It really makes it easy for me to go to the updates. :D :D

Second... I feel bad for Syd..finding the truth about her parents and not being able to talk to anybody specially Michael...that is hard on her!! :eek: :eek:

Third...Hope Vaughn can at least comfort her in some ways.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks for the update..!! (y) (y)

aaahhhhh!!!!!! that was sooo good..great, now syd has to keep secrets from Michael!!!
& they seriously need to realize that they're meant for eachother and go out. :D

Good thing they finally told her the truth, even if it's going to be awkward for them to be living under the same roof. It will take Sydney some time to accept the fact that her parents lied to her :(
But she still has Vaughn to run in his arms ^_^ , I really hope she will tell him what's happening even if her parents asked her to not say a word to anyone :P

great chapter! or I guess I should say chapters... I wasn't on yesterday so I got to read two awsome updates today :D
Chapter 5---how much longer are they going to do things like sleep in the same bed and play dres up together before they realize they're perfect for each other??! Usually I hate meddling moms, but in this case Amelia has a point. :P
Chapter 6--glad everything is out in the open but what a burden it would be to keep that kind of a secret from Michael and especially her sister. what's she ging to tell micael now? her mother getting publicly arrested by US marshals is not an easy thing to explain.. :rolleyes:

Back