Right In Front Of Me

So Nadia lost her virginity long before Sydney. In some ways that has to be really embarrassing. Now if Nadia starts giving Sydney advice on positions. :lol:

Chris

Chapter 20
Michael barely made it in the door at four the following day before Sydney was in his arms, her legs around his waist and kissing him so forcefully that he was knocked back against the front door he had just come through.

“You two are sick,” Nadia, who was the house’s only other occupant, groaned. “I don’t want to watch you have sex against the front door.”

“Oh you’re one to talk,” Sydney retorted as she slid down from Michael.

“I never had sex against the door!” Nadia raised her hands in defense.

“No but – well at least I assume – you did with Dan, the lip ring guy,” Sydney shuddered.

“Actually,” Nadia began with a sly smile. “The lip ring is-”

“NO!” Sydney and Michael both cut her off quickly. Nadia just laughed and walked into the family room, where she flopped down on the couch. “That’s sick; no sharing,” Sydney told her.

“Yeah, yeah,” Nadia waved her hand casually. “So when are you telling everyone?”

“Tonight,” Sydney sighed.

“Oh ok, I’ll bring my camera,” Nadia smiled. Sydney and Michael rolled their eyes at her.

~*~

“Mom, Dad, can you come with me to Bill and Amelia’s real quick?” Sydney asked them around seven that evening after she had helped her mother clean up their dinner. Immediately, Irina smiled broadly, but Jack looked wary.

“Why?” he asked.

“Please Dad, it’s really important and it will only take a few minutes,” Sydney said with an innocent smile. Her father didn’t move until her mother grabbed his arm.

“Jack, just get up,” Irina groaned.

“Fine, I’m up,” he grumbled as he got up. Then he followed his daughter over to their neighbor’s. Sydney fumbled in her pocket to retrieve the ring she had put there only a few minutes earlier when she had removed it from its hiding place under her bed. Once it was secured on her finger, she opened the Vaughn’s front door and found the three of them waiting.

“Good lord, what is this?” Bill asked with a laugh.

“That’s what I’m wondering,” Jack said gruffly.

“Well,” Sydney sighed as she walked over to Michael and took his hand. “There’s not use in dragging it out. Michael and I are getting married,” she smiled. Irina let out a tiny squeal as her hands shot to her mouth and she looked across the room to her best friend, who was beaming.

“Excuse me?” Bill laughed.

“Yeah, we’re getting married,” Michael laughed as Sydney held up her left hand to show her ring. The older women could hold themselves back no longer and they rushed up to Sydney and Michael and pulled them into a four-way group hug. Amelia kissed both Sydney and Michael’s cheeks and both she and Irina were nearly in tears.

“Wait, wait hold on,” Jack said. “Since when!? You two are… you’re not even dating! This is madness!”

“Actually, we’ve been dating in secret for two years,” Sydney told him.

“TWO YEARS?!” Bill and Jack gasped together.

For a moment, Sydney wondered why Amelia wasn’t as shocked, but then she figured she was just too busy crying and hugging her mother to react. “Yes,” Sydney said sheepishly.

“Why didn’t you tell us?” Bill asked.

Michael looked at their sobbing mothers and laughed softly. “Isn’t it obvious,” he said with a slight gesture towards them. Bill gave him a ‘good point’ look.

“Well the point is, we’re in a serious, committed relationship and we’re getting married,” Sydney said with a smile towards Michael.

“You’re getting married?! WHEN!?” Jack boomed.

“We haven’t set a date yet,” Sydney assured him.

“Yeah, we’re not getting married at least until after we graduate,” Michael added.

“Well, that might be the most sensible thing I’ve heard all evening!” Jack grunted.

“Jack stop being so bitter and be happy,” Irina sniffed while glaring at him.

Jack growled. “We need to go home and discuss this. Come Sydney,” he said as he walked towards the front door.

Sydney sighed and kissed Michael softly, which caused more sobs from their hugging mothers.

“Honestly you two,” Bill shook his head at them while laughing.

“Irina,” Jack said sharply while holding the door open for his wife and daughter to follow him. She reluctantly released her friend and then the four of them walked back to their own house while Nadia snickered. Sydney elbowed her.

“Dad, I don’t understand what the big deal is. You like Michael,” Sydney told him once they were inside.

“Of course I like Michael, but you’ve been lying to us for two years. I have a major problem with that,” He told her.

“Dad, I haven’t been lying,” Sydney told him. “You knew I was spending time with Michael.”

“That’s exactly my point!” he snapped. “I allowed you to go over and spend time with him thinking that he was no more than a friend to you, but now I find this out! This… this is despicable. You two have… have been having relations for years under my roof, haven’t you?!” he demanded. Nadia snorted with laughter.

“Jack!” Irina scolded him while Sydney shrank and turned pale.

“No, I deserve to know what’s been going on in my house for years,” Jack said with fury.

“Dad, it has not been years. It’s only been two. Michael’s and my first kiss was exactly two years ago yesterday,” she sighed exasperatedly. “I’ll admit the secrecy got a bit out of line and went too far, but that’s just the way it is. We can’t go back and change it now,” she shrugged.

“You’re avoiding the question, young lady,” Jack snapped at her. “You took advantage of our trust and took… that BOY up to your room while the rest of us… the rest of us-”

“God, Dad that’s sick!” Sydney exclaimed while cringing. “Not that it’s any of your business but nothing happened until last night and if you ask me, you’re yelling at the wrong daughter,” she snapped.

“HEY!” Nadia exclaimed from her position on the steps.

“Sorry,” Sydney muttered as she stomped her way up the stairs. She flopped herself down on her bed and began to twist her engagement ring around on her finger thinking about how much her life had started to suck. It was supposed to be the happiest time of her life, but like usual, her father had sucked the fun out of everything. Worse, she had gotten her sister in trouble unintentionally. She hadn’t meant to blurt that out, it just happened during her angry outburst.

“Sydney?” her mother knocked softly on her bedroom door a few moments later. Sydney grunted in acknowledgement. “Sydney, I’m sorry your father is being so… himself. You know he doesn’t have anything against Michael, he’d be like this even if he knew about your relationship all along.”

“I know,” Sydney sighed as her mother sat down on her bed and stroked her hair. “Would this be a bad time to mention that I know Michael’s father worked for the CIA?”

Irina laughed softly. “As long as you’re sharing I assume Michael knows the same about us.”

“Yes,” Sydney said quietly.

“That’s alright; I knew you’d tell him,” Irina smiled down at her. “Come on, why don’t you come downstairs and we’ll finish our talk. Your father is calmer now, I promise.”

Sydney rolled over and looked up at her mother. “Do I hafta?”

“Yes, you hafta,” Irina told her. “Besides, we need to save Nadia.”

“Oh god, Nadia,” Sydney grimaced.

“Don’t feel bad; I already knew,” Irina told her. Sydney looked at her mother curiously. “Let’s just say Nadia isn’t discrete about throwing away her garbage.”

“Ew,” Sydney grimaced.

Once downstairs, Nadia pushed past Sydney while giving her a death glare before racing up to her room and slamming the door. Sydney felt awful.

“Sydney,” her father sighed. “What I meant before was that… I’m just concerned. You’re so young and Michael’s all you’ve ever known. You don’t even know what it’s like in the real world.”

“But I don’t want to face the real world without him,” Sydney told him.

“That’s my point. I think the two of you need some time apart,” he said in a concerned way.

“No, Dad, we don’t,” Sydney said firmly. “I know Michael is the perfect guy for me, so I’m not going to waste my time dating losers until I inevitably come back and marry Michael anyway. Who cares if we’ve been together forever? Who cares if we’re comfortable with each other? Isn’t that what marriage is supposed to be anyway?”

“Can’t argue with her there, Jack,” Irina said softly.

“Fine,” Jack grunted.

Sydney smiled, knowing that was the best she was going to get out of him, and then ran out the front door and over to Michael’s. She wasn’t surprised to find he was waiting outside for her. She immediately wrapped her arms around his neck and he pulled her close.

“Do I need to start moving to Mexico?” he asked softly.

“No,” she laughed. “You’ll survive.”

“Good… ok, so I have a tiny confession to make,” he cringed when she pulled out of their hug. “My mother knew I was going to propose to you.”

“Really?” Sydney laughed.

“Yeah… she figured it out right after you attacked me when I came home from France. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you,” he said sadly.

“It’s okay; my mother’s known for a year,” she smiled at him.

“A year?!” he gasped.

Sydney nodded. “Last summer she caught me coming in late… and she almost started to cry because she thought I was lying to her! I felt so awful that I had to tell her. Sorry I didn’t tell you,” she frowned.

“It’s okay… I guess we really can’t be mad at each other, can we?” he laughed. Sydney shook her head. “Good,” he kissed her softly.

“Hey Michael… you ever regret not dating other people?”

“What? No. Do you?” he asked curiously.

She shook her head. “Why would I date anyone else when I already have the perfect man?”

“Well, I don’t know about perfect…,” he said casually. She giggled. “You’re perfect, so perfect in fact, that I can’t believe the perfect person has been right in front of me all along.”

She smiled and kissed him. “Well… it’s good we didn’t figure it out sooner, or we probably would have been married in high school and then they really would have killed us.”

“Too true,” he laughed. “But my mom has already mentioned grandkids.”

“Oh no,” Sydney laughed.

“Oh yeah… by the way, just so you know, she wants them to have green eyes and your smile,” he told her.

“Okay,” she laughed. “We can try to give her that.”

“Let’s try a lot,” he said seriously. She laughed and hit him playfully. “I was serious!”

Epilogue
“Isn’t he just the most precious, most adorable, most perfect little angel ever in the world?” Sydney cooed over her barely twenty minute old son.

“Yes,” Michael said softly as he kissed his wife’s head. “But I have to get him out there to see the crazy ladies or they’ll kill me.”

“Okay,” Sydney laughed softly.

Michael gently scooped up his son from her and cradled him tightly to his chest. “Hey buddy, you ready to go meet all your insane family members?” he asked softly. He rocked the baby gently as he walked out of Sydney’s delivery room and into the waiting room.

Immediately four ‘aww’ing adults surrounded him as they admired their new grandchild. “What is it? A boy or a girl?” Amelia asked in an impatient tone.

“I’m not sure,” Michael teased them.

“You are so cruel to us!” his mother hissed.

Michael laughed softly. “This is Brian.”

“Oh a boy,” Irina choked slightly. “He’s gorgeous,” she sighed as she took him gently from her son-in-law. “Oh and heavy!”

“Nine pounds even,” Michael told her.

“Oh poor Sydney,” Amelia laughed softly.

The grandparents took turns holding Brian before giving him back to Michael so that he could return his son to the bassinet beside Sydney.

“Did they cry?” Sydney asked softly with her eyes shut and a hint of amusement in her voice.

“Yes, of course,” he laughed softly. “I thought you were asleep.”

“Almost,” she sighed.

He picked up her hand and kissed it softly. “You need to rest.”

“What about you? You were up all night too,” she pointed out.

“Yeah, but I had coffee; I’m good,” he told her with a soft laugh.

“Mmhmm. I love you…”

“Love you too Syd, always.”

-fin-

thanks so much for reading everyone! and as always, to the betas :hug:

so here's the deal with the next fic - by fabulous beta Loretta :hug: is consumed with real life right now cause she and her husband are moving like accross the country and she's getting a new job that she loves and, of course, we're all thrilled for her :hug: :hug:
so, in order to take the load of her betaing so to speak, i'm not gonna start a new fic until after Love This Way is over (which is about 3 days i belive) and then i'm just gonna have one for a while :smiley:
anyway, just to keep you guessing the new fic is called You're Joking, Right? and that sorta keeps in time with the plot of the fic as well which is, if i do say so myself, unique to say te least - you'll see ;)

that's it !! they told everyone the truth!! jack is sooo himself but at least he cares !!
i guess brian is the cuttest baby in da world, i mean he has to be with syd and mike as parent's !! :angelic:
great fic !!
cant wait to read your new one !!
can you send pm just to let me know you post it ?

awww :hug: Thanks Janet.

I'm sorry I'm so busy. Hopefully I can get ahead again soon. I'll spend time on the weekends betaing once I'm in Ohio. I won't have a whole lot else to do, I'm guessing...

But seriously guys....You're Joking, Right? is great...you WILL laugh.

I loved the ending. It gave us a really nice sence of closure.
Poor Nadia though, Syd was mean! Even if she didn't mean to do it.

The next fic sounds cool.

awwwwwwwww so cute i love it
perfect
still can't believe jack didn't threeaten vaughn in some way
thanks for the update
i can't ait for the next fic
thanks

luv Chicketepee :seehearspeak:

Back