Right In Front Of Me

That was great ... poor Syd wants to kiss him again ... love Nadias reactions ... ohh Micahels had feelings for her for a while huh ... more soon please

I can't believe of all places to go to 'avoid awkwardness' they're going to the movies!! Haha that's like makeout central!!! Derr.

lol :D

I loved it

Can't wait for the update

Aly..x

Hm. I'm guessing it'll take one of them to give up and start seeing someone else before the other admits to being completely in love with them. And then there can be lots of happy makey-outyness. yay!

They'd better do something at the theater if they don't want me to come and kick their ass for acting like the kiss doesn't matter, because it matters!!!

I love how Sydney asked Nadia for help and blackmailed her then :lol:

ok, that slow horrible death you were talking about with michael... that's me right now, waiting for them to kiss again!!! i cant stand it.... KISS ALREADY!!

Chapter 4
After the slight awkwardness of their movie outing, both Sydney and Michael separately decided that they needed to just forget the kiss ever happened and move on with their relationship as it had been. They were both busy working, so they were unable to see each other often, which they both missed, since they were so used to spending every school day together because of the two classes they had in common.

The first week in August, a mere two and a half weeks before she was to leave for college, Sydney and her mother went shopping to pick up some last minute items needed and also as their mother-daughter bonding time. Earlier that week, Nadia had gone to the beach with a friend and Sydney’s father had left the previous day for a two day business trip, so it was just her and her mother, but she didn’t mind. Sydney was definitely much closer to her mother than her father; she always had been.

Whenever she’d hear stories of her childhood from her parents (and occasionally Amelia), the common theme between all of them was Sydney’s strong bond with her mother. As an infant, she’d cry and reach out for her mother if she was in someone else’s arms and she’d always fuss when someone tried to take her away from her mother. As a toddler, if her mother tried to leave the house, she’d latch onto her leg and refuse to let go until someone (usually Amelia, who often shared babysitting duties) pried her off. Though they’d had a few rocky moments during her early teen years, through most of her life, they rarely fought; simply remaining close. Sydney wasn’t quite sure how she was going to survive college when she was suddenly snatched away from all of the people she was close to, she was just grateful there were cell phones.

“So, do you think you have everything now?” Irina asked her daughter when they came out of a department store with an extra set of towels for Sydney’s dorm.

“I think so… I mean, I’ve got so much felgercarb,” Sydney laughed.

“So I’ve noticed,” Irina smiled at her. “So what should we do now? Get some ice cream?”

“Oh yeah, definitely,” Sydney smiled. “And then we can go try on shoes!”

Irina laughed loudly. “Ice cream and shoes, now I know you’re my daughter,” she said while nudging Sydney slightly with her elbow. Sydney giggled and took the bags from her mother so she could open up the trunk to their car. Just as she was doing this though, there was a loud screech from behind them. Sydney spun around and saw a black van speeding through the parking lot, causing pedestrians to leap out of the way and other cars to swerve around it.

Much to Sydney’s shock, the black van pulled up right beside their car, and, much to her horror, three men with vests labeled ‘US Marshall’ and armed with large guns emerged from the van and grabbed her mother.

Irina, who stayed amazingly calm, said to them, “What is the meaning of this?”

“You’re under arrest, Ms. Derevko,” one of the Marshall’s said to her as he hand-cuffed her.

Sydney looked on in horror as her mother was roughly shackled. “Mom? Mom, what’s going on?” she whimpered.

“It’s alright, Sydney,” Irina told her daughter calmly. “Just go home and call your father.”

“But… what? What’s happening?” she asked tearfully as the men shoved her mother towards the open door of the van.

“Now hold on a second,” Irina said, raising her voice slightly. “If you don’t give my daughter the car keys, she’ll be stranded here.” She looked over to the man who had snatched her purse from her and said, “They’re in the back pocket. Give them to her.”

The Marshall looked into the back pocket for a moment before reluctantly tossing the keys at Sydney. Sydney didn’t move and the keys fell a few inches from her toes. “It’ll be alright, Sydney!” was the last thing she heard from her mother before the van drove away.

Sydney stood frozen in horror for a few more minutes after the van had left the parking lot. A few curious people whispered around her, wondering what exactly had gone on after witnessing the odd sight of the apparent kidnapping or arrest of a woman in her late forties. Finally, while breathing heavily and trembling, Sydney knelt down and picked up the keys from the ground. Then slowly, she put the bags she had been holding into the trunk and walked around to the driver’s side.

Once seated, she pulled out her cell phone and with a trembling hand she dialed her father’s number. He was unavailable so she had to leave a voice mail message, “Dad… Mom, Mom was just taken… t-taken by these men… They ha-had vests that said US Marshalls… I dunno what to do,” she sniffed finally before hanging up her phone. Then, knowing that she had to drive, she took a few deep breaths before putting the key in the ignition and starting the car.

How she got home, she never knew, but by the time she pulled into her driveway, tears were flowing freely down her face. She noticed that Michael, who must have had the day off, was in his driveway hosing off the car he had just washed and she had never been more thankful for it.

Leaving the keys in the ignition, she got out of the car and walked over him as she sobbed. He didn’t notice she was crying at first because she was behind him, but he knew it was her because he recognized her walk. “Hey Syd, how was shopping?... Syd?” he asked a moment later when she didn’t respond. Turning around, he saw the tears in her eyes and her hands trembling. “Syd, what happened?” he asked her. But she said nothing. She only stepped forward, wrapped her arms around his back and squeezed his bare torso tightly (he had been washing the car shirtless).

“Syd? Honey, what happened?” he asked her again, but she still said nothing. She just clung to him. Not knowing what else to do, Michael held her tightly, occasionally telling her ‘it’s okay’ and stroking her hair with his dry, soap-free hand.

After ten minutes of this, Amelia, who worked as a teacher and thus had summers off, came out of the house and asked, “What’s going on?”

“I have no idea,” Michael told her. “She won’t tell me; she’s just crying.”

“Sydney, sweetheart, what’s wrong?” Amelia asked softly as she pulled back some of Sydney’s brown hair so she could view her tearstained face. “What happened?”

Sydney managed to pry herself off Michael and then switched to smothering Amelia with her hug. Amelia hugged her tightly and rubbed her back softly. “Sydney, what is it? You can tell us.”

“T-They… they took my-my mom,” she whimpered.

Amelia looked up at her son, who shrugged and looked clueless. “What are you talking about? Who took her?” Amelia asked.

“The M-Marshall’s,” Sydney sniffed.

Amelia stiffened slightly and sighed heavily. “Alright Sydney, it’s alright. Did you call your father?” Sydney nodded into her shoulder and Amelia continued, “Alright, let’s go inside and I’ll make you some tea… Michael, for heaven’s sake, put a shirt on,” she rolled her eyes at her perplexed-looking son. Amelia guided Sydney inside and sat her down at the kitchen table before passing her a handful of tissues and assuring her that everything would be alright.

I just gotta say that I love you, Janet. I mean...just when you think it can't get worse, you throw in a whole new dimension of angst and torment. It's great! :D

awwwww poor syd :P Hey Janet is Vaughn's dad still live because syd's mom never killed him, right??? ;p great update :smiley:
<3
syd

But she said nothing. She only stepped forward, wrapped her arms around his back and squeezed his bare torso tightly (he had been washing the car shirtless).
Oh now come on! Did you have to through that in there?! Lol I'm trying to sympathyse with Syd and all i can do is drool over a shirtless Michael Vaughn!

Haha you're lucky this is a fic lol

I love it

So she's Derevko, eey? Didn't see that coming!

Aly..x

Why'd they take Irina? I thought all of that was sorted years before. Vaughn without a shirt on... wish I coulda seen that one.

Great update, can't wait for more

Sydney managed to pry herself off Michael and then switched to smothering Amelia with her hug. Amelia hugged her tightly and rubbed her back softly. “Sydney, what is it? You can tell us.”

“T-They… they took my-my mom,” she whimpered.

Amelia looked up at her son, who shrugged and looked clueless. “What are you talking about? Who took her?” Amelia asked.

“The M-Marshall’s,” Sydney sniffed.

Amelia stiffened slightly and sighed heavily. “Alright Sydney, it’s alright. Did you call your father?” Sydney nodded into her shoulder and Amelia continued, “Alright, let’s go inside and I’ll make you some tea… Michael, for heaven’s sake, put a shirt on,” she rolled her eyes at her perplexed-looking son. Amelia guided Sydney inside and sat her down at the kitchen table before passing her a handful of tissues and assuring her that everything would be alright.
Does Amelia know about Irina??!! Awesome update :lol: Can't wait to read what happens next.

Back