Service Abilities

Given that you now know what classes have what service abilities, will this change the class combina

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Undecided

• Total voters
I actually like the ranger ability. Sure it's just a speed buff but that's why we multiclass to compensate.
As long as the pets don't suck I'm good.

Some of these services seem ok but then as the list goes down it's like they start just naming general abilities of they class. Ok, healers heal but how is that a profitable craft? Does that mean we have to pay them every time they heal us? And so on with some other classes.

You make a good point Daax. with the excepetion of warrior and gearknight, the abilities are things those classes would in all likelihood (or traditionally would) have been doing anyways. But it's early, perhaps they have more stuff planned, I hope.

Originally posted by Rics@May 24 2006, 09:42 AM

And though I am excited about these "services", I'm also not amazed, as they are nothing new at all. I'm especially not very impressed with the poor Ranger's service. It's just a buff spell.

I guess it depends on how good this service is. If it anything like having a Skald/Bard/Minstrel in DAoC I got 2 words for it:

Guaranteed Groupage

If it is more like a 5% speed increase, then yeah, pretty much blows chunks. Something like "tracking" would have made more sence, but as for a almost artisian skill, I can't think of something that would really work with a ranger.

I'd like to see a game in which a Ranger is really wanted in a group for a change, I"ve been playing them for a long time, and they are basically not needed or wanted in groups and usually solo marginally and have a huge cost to them due to arrows. I'd like to see them be REALLY FREAKIN' GOOD at something for a change.... :thinking:

Originally posted by z80@May 24 2006, 05:26 PM
You make a good point Daax. with the excepetion of warrior and gearknight, the abilities are things those classes would in all likelihood (or traditionally would) have been doing anyways. But it's early, perhaps they have more stuff planned, I hope.
Yeah, it's going to be different, in some ways kinda like old skool EQ. I had a Iksar Shammy that I sometimes parked at the N Ro tunnel in EC and tossed out SoW to anyone that asked. I actually made quite a bit of money doing that. I never charged people, but many people tipped me. Some of those skills might end up working the same way, getting wounds healed, ect. I think in a good comuunity atmosphere you will see more of that.

I guess I should probably answer the pol, hehe. I won't make much of a difference to me unless I'm torn between 2 profs and like both equally but have a preference or see a large benifit in one of the professions service abilites.

Originally posted by Cobalt Katze@May 24 2006, 12:49 PM
In lieu of a food/alchemy crafting system, they could find rare herbs and plants that gives minor buffs or heal a little bit when used.
I like CK's idea here. It would make perfect sense to give Rangers a "horticulture" skill or "herbalism" skill that they could use to grant minor buffs to party members or to create healing salves and antidotes.

Although, if the speed buff is significant enough then there may be no need to worry about changing the ability at all.

Originally posted by Daax@May 24 2006, 05:20 PM
Some of these services seem ok but then as the list goes down it's like they start just naming general abilities of they class. Ok, healers heal but how is that a profitable craft? Does that mean we have to pay them every time they heal us? And so on with some other classes.
Once again this is just how I'm reading this and nothing official...

The Healer service sounds to me like something you'd use every once in a while, kind of like a Repair but for your body instead of your gear. In other words, while you're out hunting you can get your HP back from your healer or cleric or even just resting just like any typical MMO. But those fights take something out of you just like they take something out of your armor so every once in awhile you need to go to town and find a Healer to take care of those aches and pains.

The Clerics rezzing sounds like something they'd be doing in a group so I agree that I don't see how that's a service but it might be that we're missing something. Like maybe if you're off exploring or hunting alone and you die in some really bad spot a Cleric back in town could rez you, thus bringing you back to life in town. Until we know more about the whole death mechanic though it's going to be hard to tell how this will play.

Speaking of a herbiculture buff, anyone know if there will be gatherable items such as herbs and whatnot through the game world? Is such a thing even in the game?

It'd seem strange not to have it in, seeing as cebi root etc play a rather significant role in DR etc, and I'd hope to see herb carry over in this sense.

Which leads on to the ability to spot local herbs -> rare herbs -> exotic herbs depending on your skill level, each granting significantly better results for the user. And negative results if you try to ingest too many at once.

But just to say it again, I'd like to see each class have the option of four or five Service Abilities of which they choose one or two at class creation. That way we'd really get into some class customisation!

Originally posted by HJ-Sisca@May 24 2006, 06:02 PM

All GMs for every game ever should use the Ildrad Officiality Index when shooting the breeze on the forums.

That is all.

I've got an idea. What if instead Simu allows to to pick a third class at the cc screen. But it's not a normal class, it's a type of servicable proffession that you major in. These third classes could be Blacksmith, Botanist, Alchemist, Fisherman, etc.....

Originally posted by crisisfox+May 24 2006, 11:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (crisisfox @ May 24 2006, 11:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HJ-Sisca@May 24 2006, 06:02 PM

All GMs for every game ever should use the Ildrad Officiality Index when shooting the breeze on the forums.

That is all. [/b][/quote]
I would if I had a clue...obviously my edumacation is lacking :smiley:

Originally posted by Daax@May 25 2006, 11:15 AM
I've got an idea. What if instead Simu allows to to pick a third class at the cc screen. But it's not a normal class, it's a type of servicable proffession that you major in. These third classes could be Blacksmith, Botanist, Alchemist, Fisherman, etc.....
Cuz some of us HATE HATE HATE HATE crafting Dax.... :thinking:

*takes a deep breath and wipes the froth from his lips* :blink:

Yeah, I'd like to see more info on this though, but more in terms of "ok, if this ends up like HZ, I'm gone" way.

Me no want much crafting.

Me no likey.

Now in regards to the ranger service why not give them a tame creature ability for mob control purposes. I'm sure you've all been in the situations in groups and there is just too many mobs and having them be able to tame mobs depending on their level would really help with mob control and then give them a little more benifit to a group.

Originally posted by cordy@May 25 2006, 05:59 PM
Now in regards to the ranger service why not give them a tame creature ability for mob control purposes. I'm sure you've all been in the situations in groups and there is just too many mobs and having them be able to tame mobs depending on their level would really help with mob control and then give them a little more benifit to a group.
Sounds more like a benifit to rangers and not so much a service.

Hmm Ranger Service...

I think we- erm, the Rangers need to get a Service which is a 'coolness meter'.
Other classes come to us, and we're able to give them a 1 to 10 rating as to whether they're cool and "rural" enough to hang out with us- erm, the Rangers.

Yeah, I think that'd be cool.

But it if had to be something less realistic, hmm.. how about the ability to craft 'animal charm' whistles that we can give out/sell?
A small wooden whistle that has a % chance to charm wild animals (calm aggro animals) when we hunt, quest, are throwing buckets of water on stray cats etc.

Or...
Well, it would be very cool if we could gather herbs (anyone should be able to gather) but Rangers have the knowledge to mix/grind/combine herbs to make healing salves etc. We are going to have scars and whatnot, so how about another way other than Empa-.. Healers to get rid of them?
People gather herbs (which do the job too) and come to us to refine and strengthen the herb's effect by doing our thing to them.. err.. go to them to do their thing to them.

Or...
The ability to refine and hone a bow for use, thus very slightly increasing it's damage (or reducing it if we screw it up) or the very extremely small chance of adding a Wyr slot or something.
As in, a person has their bow, they find a Ranger and ask them to 'refine' their bow. The Ranger does their thing to it, thus slightly improving the bow's stats and whatnot. Can only be done once per item, with a small chance of a Critical Loss, and smaller chance of a Critical Hit in the form of a nice benefit added to the bow.

Or...
I'm all out of ideas.

Back