Special Delivery

Jake is far too smart and so sweet...
I hope Vaughn applies his insight about love and his father
to his relationship with Sydney.
Thanks for the pm.

That was great!!! I have been trying to reply for 2 days, with no luck :( I am glad Syd is there for both of them, she is just what they need!!! :smiley: I'm glad Micheal is finally listening to his heart and starting to trust Syd!!! Awesome updates

Can't wait!!! You should do what SkyGirl is doing, she is gonna switch where she posts her Fic's cause this site is to unreilable. Just a thought... :D
Lindsay :angelic:

Morning. :P

here's the new chapter. Hope you enjoy. Thanks for R & R and talk to you soon.

PS: If you ever can't read the chapter on this site, you can always catch the new update at SD-1.

Have a great day.

:smiley:

CJ

~Part 28~

The last place Michael wanted to be was at the Manhattan Hotel, but he had no choice except to keep the meeting with his father. He doubted the visit would be long. They had nothing in common and little to talk about.

He entered the hotel and headed toward its five-star restaurant. Even from a distance he thought his father looked tired. Perhaps working too hard. Workaholics rarely slowed down willingly.

“Michael.” He stood, folded his Wall Street Journal.

“Dad.” Michael said, standing in front of his father and staring confusedly at him.

The years were being kind to him. His skin remained taut, only a few deep lines crinkled from the corners of his deep green eyes. A tall man, at least 6’1 with short grey hair, Bill Vaughn was an intimating man. In his custom-tailored suit, he stood before Michael, as solemn-looking as ever.

“You look different.”

I’m happier, Michael wanted to say. That’s what was different about him. He’d learned there was a place in his heart that still wanted to draw love in. How could he explain to this man, to this stranger, that his own child had taught him he wasn’t meant to be alone?

“I ordered a drink, “ he said when they were seated.

“I’ll have coffee,” Michael told the waitress.

“Are you going back to work?”

“I never know.”

“You should have chosen a different field of medicine.”

He kept a defensive edge out of his voice.” I like this one.”

His father had remarked before that he’d made a poor choice. Obstetrics offered no prestige or recognition.

“I help bring new life into the world.” Michael said simply.” How is international finance?”

“I’m doing well. Working less.” He paused. “ You look surprised.”

“I am.” He never thought his father would take time to relax.

“How is your son? He’s how old?”

Michael looked up as the server placed the coffee before him. “He’s five.”

“Good boy?”

For a split second Michael considered whipping out his wallet to show him Jake’s picture, but didn’t.

“Wonderful.”

“Smart?”

“And funny.”

His father was quiet for a moment. “Polite?”

“Yes, but mischievous.”

“He’s like you, then?”

Thoughtfully Michael stared at him.

“You made me laugh, “ he said as an explanation.

“When? He’d never heard his father laugh.

“Remember when you used to jump for the basketball rim to show me how much you’d grown?”

Needing time, Michael sipped his coffee while he absorbed what his father had just said. Had he really watched him?”

“Or remember when you brought that motorcycle home?” He chuckled. “Your mother had a fit. She was certain you’d be a rebel. You were so pleased with yourself. So proud of that motorcycle.

No, he’d been smug, not proud. He’d bought the motorcycle with his own money, hadn’t wanted it…not really. He’d bought it to get a reaction out of them. His mother had ranted and raved. Maybe he’d done it because it was rare to have them both at the house, even for a day.

She’d been leaving for a vacation with her friends on the French Riviera that evening, and his father was heading to a medical conference in London. He’d wanted them to pay attention. Only his mother had, he’d thought. He’d believed his father had been closeted in his office, on the phone, fielding called from his international office. Michael had thought he hadn’t even watched him. But he’d seen. He’d stood by a window on the second floor and had watched him.

“I was amazed…proud.”

Proud?” Why?” Michael asked warily.

“You were so young. Thirteen. You couldn’t ride it on the street, but you bought it anyway. I’d never had that kind of guts. I did what I was told. You were always your own person. Is your son like you?”

“A little. “ Proud. He’d been proud of him. Mentally Michael swore that he was making too much of simple praise from this man.

“You don’t need my money, do you? You’re an important doctor.”

“No, I don’t.”

His father cleared his throat. “Does your boy know he has another grandfather?”

“Alice insisted on putting your photo up in his room.”

“She did?” He smiled.” That was kind of her. You know, I hardly knew her.”

How could he know her? He’d only met her once. At his mother’s funeral.

“She wanted Jake to know what you looked like.”

“Is she still in your life?”

“We’re friends.”

“Your mother and I didn’t do so well after the divorce. Is there anyone else in your life?”

Michael was slow to answer. Had he ever had such a lengthy conversation with him before?

“There is someone. Yes.” What was happening with Sydney was private.

“Would you let me see Jake?” he asked with what sounded like uncertainty in his voice.

“Why now? What happened in your life? You said you’re not sick.”

“No, I’m not.” His gray head bent. “Someone I knew died, “he said, staring in his drink.

“His last words were for me to tell his son he loved him. But I didn’t know anything about this man. I’d known him twenty years and knew his son’s name, but not where to find him. And I thought about what if it had been me dying. I wouldn’t want to have to tell someone else to relay those words to my son.” He fixed a look on Michael, one that used to root him to a spot.

“I know you wouldn’t believe me if I said them now, but maybe…maybe someday. I’m aware that I haven’t always been the best father, but I’ll…”

Michael cut him off. “Don’t make promises.” he said as he stood up to leave.

For the first time in his life, Michael saw emotion in his father’s eyes…sadness.

“I won’t.”

“Is it too late?”

Repeatedly he’d given his heart to this man. “No, “ he said quickly before he let logic instead of his emotion control the outcome.

“No, it’s not too late.”

“I’d like to see you…and the boy. Get to know both of you. Do you feel that would be possible?”

Michael drew a hard breath against the pressure in his chest. “Jake just returned to town. I’ll call you, “ he said to avoid a definite answer.

“Anytime.” His father offered a half-hearted smile.” Whatever is best for you.”

He doesn’t believe me, Michael knew. Did he remember all the times he’d said something similar to him and hadn’t meant the words? I’m not you, Michael wanted to say.

“You let me know.”

Family is important. Think about today. Tomorrow. Not the past, Sydney insisted.

“How about Friday night? Seven, “ Michael said before he reconsidered.

“Is that good for you?”

“It’s perfect.” A smile sprang to his father’s face. “I’ll be there.”

“Okay.” Michael let out a breath to steady his voice. “See you.”

“Son…”

With his back to him; Michael closed his eyes for a second. Son. A hell of a long time had passed since he’d yearned to hear him say that.

“What?” he asked, facing him.

His father’s damp eyes met his. “Thank you.

Deep down, some of the boy still remained in the man he was, still yearned for all he hadn’t had.

“Let’s take it one step at a time. Okay?”

Nothing had changed. He still wanted to believe him, he realized.

“I’ll see you Friday.”

TBC

PM List:

Addicted 2 alias
Ae_gurl293
albob
Aliasfan212
Aliaschick347
Alias_chick_47
Aliasobsessed89
AliasSydney502
Alwazabrat

Ams4alias
Angel
ASIOagent
Atekamel
Blknight
Catfishally
Catpin
Cookiemonster
Cupcake55

Derevkointraining
fire*N*ice
grassyass
gtwallichs
Hannahb
invisible
Jadeygirl
JessicaAC
k-mila
KaliasGirl

Kate_14
Lady alias
les400coups
maddy28
MH55995

Michael_Vartan_Hottie
Mnkdance963
Mountaineer girl
Nancy o
Nicky_Bristow
PointguysGirl
Prediction 47
Shelley g.
Soccer22vartan
Sparklingrainbow
SweetiePie

SuperDuck123
SydneyMicheal
Sydofthesea
Tblash423
tubby
Tunita
ubielecki
Vartan-lova
Vaughnshoney

Wiseman
XMountineer02300844X

i'm glad bill wants to know more about michael and jake... and i'm glad michael is giving him this chance...

i can't wait for the next update! thanks for the pm!

oh goodie! happy for jake, mostly, since he obviously needs more fans ;)

good chapter. glad mike's ready to look at tomorrow...

I rerally liked this update. The talk with his father went really good. And he promised that Jake will meet his grandpa. And then Syd to, i suposse :D

*sniff, sniff* *tear* awww, this chapter was so cute, and i'm glad bill's finally coming around. hope they can start to understand eachother more. great update.
Aliaschick347

Back