Politics the death penalty

Osiris said:
and it might not be cheaper then keeping them in jail.  but think about this.  there have been many cases where someone commited a terrible crime and they got out sooner then someone who did a lesser crime.  all because they had a better lawyer or a better deal, coz they turned their partner in.
[post="1312774"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I agree that's terrible. That's why we need to have better sentencing guidlines...and that life in prison should mean life in prison. None of this out in 15 years felgercarb. Just like in Texas where they've gotten rid of the life without parole option. Now juries have to choose between death or life with the possibility of parole...that's not right.

And look at Mark Hacking...he could be out of prison in 6 years...that's disgusting. I don't think death is the answer, but something does need to be done with our sentencing.

The death penalty shouldnt be alowed, regardless off the crime nothing satisfying comes form death.

And however someone gets in jail then they should have to serve the full sentance, no plea or good behaviour.

Do the crime- do the time ;)

Does that not kind of destroy the idea of reform. Lots of people kill in a fit of anger, and while no one has suggested there aren't mitigating circumstances, it does destroy the maxim that people pay their debt to society and should be allowed to move on.

noggi16 said:
Does that not kind of destroy the idea of reform. Lots of people kill in a fit of anger, and while no one has suggested there aren't mitigating circumstances, it does destroy the maxim that people pay their debt to society and should be allowed to move on.
[post="1315186"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

That's why you need certain sentencing for certain crimes.

Should Mark Hacking be allowed a minimum of 6 years in prison for killing his (assumed to be pregnant) wife? Absolutely not...he should be locked up forever for what he did.

But there are different types of murder. A crime of passion and a pre-meditated murder, although both still murder, are thought out differently and should be treated differently.

I don't think anyone said otherwise.

Jamison said:
But there are different types of murder.  A crime of passion and a pre-meditated murder, although both still murder, are thought out differently and should be treated differently.
yea, i think that there's a big difference between a crime of passion and pre-meditated. pre-meditated should have a life (and i mean full life) imprisionment. but a crime of passion should still have a harsh punishment, but if they are given counseling or something, they might never even think about doing something like that again.

noggi16 said:
I'm not saying all murders deserve a second chance but some do deserve to be allowed to try again.
[post="1316245"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

And like I said before, I don't think anyone is disputing that...well, any of us who are opposed to the death penalty.

And like I said before, I don't think anyone is disputing that...well, any of us who are opposed to the death penalty.

But you need to give everyone that chance not just murders.

and there is no way on earth juries should be deciding sentencing. Thats for the judge.

noggi16 said:
But you need to give everyone that chance not just murders.

and there is no way on earth juries should be deciding sentencing. Thats for the judge.
[post="1316513"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I never said it should just be for murders. Every case is different and should be treated as such.

And trust me, I don't think juries should be deciding sentencing either...I posted my views on that on some other topic...not sure where though...

Well then I agree because juries need to be kept away from this kind of thing. its just too emotive.

I don't think America can abolish the death penalty, its too popular electorally at least for now and I don't think it is the Supreme Courts place to abolish it whether its cruel and unusal punishment are not.

noggi16 said:
Well then I agree because juries need to be kept away from this kind of thing. its just too emotive.

I don't think America can abolish the death penalty, its too popular electorally at least for now and I don't think it is the Supreme Courts place to abolish it whether its cruel and unusal punishment are not.
[post="1316590"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

We have gotten rid of the death penalty before, so I definitely don't think it's an impossibility.

Especially if you look at it from a strictly monatary point of view.

I've remebered my orginial point it was the life means life that doesn't allow for rehabilitation and a second chance. And the average life tarrif is 12 -15 years in Britain

seriously, this issue is not going to be solved soon. republicans will probably favor killing a kid for stealing a candy bar and democrats are all over the board (what do you expect? they're democrats). only the true liberals are against the death penalty.

the_alliance said:
seriously, this issue is not going to be solved soon. republicans will probably favor killing a kid for stealing a candy bar and democrats are all over the board (what do you expect? they're democrats). only the true liberals are against the death penalty.
[post="1319892"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
that's total bulls*** and doesn't make any sense...

the_alliance said:

I agree with xdancer...that makes no sense.

the_alliance said:
What?

Back