Welcome to the Madhouse

Yeah...I know that the wedding plans are a little boring. In the next update she'll be going away for more training, so that will make it a little more interesting....hopefully.

Irina stopped her car in front of the KGB's front company -- Electric Contraptions. Well that's interesting, she thought, getting out of the car. She walked into the store and took off her sunglasses. "Good morning, ma'am," the counter clerk said, according to the SOP orders.

"Good morning," Irina said. "I have an order to pick up."

The clerk nodded. "It's waiting in the back room. Just down the hall." She pointed, and Irina walked down the hall. Butterflies were spinning in her stomach. For a week she had been both dreading and waiting for this. At the end of the hall Irina saw an off-white door with chipping paint. She knocked once, then opened the door. Closing it behind her, she sat down as the one other person in the room gestured for her to.

"Good morning, Agent Derevko," the man said. He picked up a pen from the table and scribbled something on the file before him.

"Good morning," Irina said. She sat her purse on the floor and crossed her legs. She was nervous, but was determined not to show it. The KGB frowned on weakness. She must not be weak. For a full minute the man stared at Irina. She stared back at him. Finally, he broke eye contact and looked back at his file. Irina breathed a silent sigh of relief.

"You've just become engaged, have you not?"

Irina was relieved by the Russian the man spoke. She had heard nothing but English from everyone around (except Kozlov, of course), and her native tongue was relaxing.

"Laura Ivanov just became engaged, sir. Jack Bristow proposed in New York."

"I see you are still keeping Laura seperated from yourself, Agent Derevko. That is wise. Very wise indeed." The man nodded, scribbling again on the form. Irina smiled and looked down at her shoes. The man looked back up at Irina. "I assume you know why you are here?"

Irina nodded. "To undergo further training, sir."

"So Kozlov has not told you the complete story, then?" the man said. What was he talking about?

"I beg your pardon, sir, but what story?" Irina stared at him. She wanted to ask the man who on earth he was, but bit her tongue.

"Agent Derevko, it has become necessary for the KGB to eliminate certain assets of the CIA. You are the appropriate agent to complete the task."

Irina thought for a second. "You want me to kill CIA agents?" she said in shock.

"Yes, Agent Derevko. Is there a problem with that?" He was trying to trap her. She wouldn't let him.

She shook her head. "Of course not, sir." She hesitated. "May I be so rude as to ask who you are?"

The man laughed. "I wondered how long it would take you to ask that. I, Agent Derevko, am Agent Pete Long. I was recruited by the KGB twenty years ago."

"You're American?" she asked.

Agent Long smiled. "Yes, Agent Derevko, I was born in America. I, however, do not consider myself American. For the past twenty years I have devoted myself to Russia. I have learned the language, I have lived in the country. I have absorbed the culture. I am not American, Agent Derevko. My parents were American."

Irina looked at him. Why was he telling her this? Not the question to ask, though. "Why does the KGB want these agents eliminated?"

"Ah, ah, ah, Agent Derevko. You know that is not what you need to know. The reason does not matter. All that matters is the fact that it is your duty. This weekend you will be trained in the art of assassination. You will also be updated on aspects of your training that will help you in your life with Jack Bristow. You will need to train yourself to keep from divulging any of the KGB's secrets."

Irina nodded. "Fine. When do I start?"

"Right now," Agent Long said. Irina stared at him, when suddenly he sprang up from his desk and tried to attack her. She blocked his punch, jumping up from her chair. He raised his leg to kick her, but she landed a blow to his jaw first. He brought his hand to his face, looked at the blood and smiled. "Good job. I see you have not let yourself become rusty." Irina nodded. "Sit down again," he said, taking his seat. Irina lowered herself into the chair, her heart still beating.

"Let's try a little role playing. We need to check out your story, Laura." It took Irina a moment to catch on, but she nodded. "Good. When where you born?"

"December 11, 1951."

"Check. Where?"

"St. Petersburg."

"Parents?"

"Dmitri and Avdotya Ivanov."

"Siblings?"

"None."

"Good," Agent Long said, making a few checks on his form. He smiled at her. "Have you had any trouble keeping up your story yet?"

"No, Agent Long. I've been able to remember it."

"Good. Now...on to the CIA agents. You will have to maintain the utmost level of stealth during the assassinations." Irina nodded. She had to maintain stealth at all times. she knew that. "Over time you will become trained in all aspects of assassination. You will be able to kill without a second thought."

That worried Irina. She wasn't sure she wanted to be able to murder CIA agents in cold blood.

Monday morning. Irina woke up, finally back in her own apartment. She felt like a different person. If she thought the KGB's preliminary training had changed her, it was nothing compared to that weekend. There was a difference in killing someone in combat and murdering someone. But it was her duty. She had to do it. She would just have to get over it. It was her duty.

When Jack called around noon, Irina was thrilled. She needed to just talk to him normally. "How did the wedding shopping go?" he asked. Irina had told him that she was going to a few wedding shops in Northern California for the weekend.

"Not too good," she said. "I didn't find anything!"

"That's too bad," Jack said. "How about dinner tonight to cheer you up?" Irina relaxed. He always knew what to do.

"Dinner sounds great." A few moments later she hung up and picked up the files Agent Long had given her. There were photos of the many agents Irina would have to kill. Their faces looked up at her. They would never know what was coming. How could they? You didn't expect your coworker's wife to kill you. Who would? But that's what would happen. The KGB wanted her to wait until she had been married for a while before she started the missions to eliminate suspicion. For atleast a year she would be just a normal wife, gathering tidbits of information from her husband's briefcase, but nothing extreme. The higher-ups wanted to err on the side of caution.

January, 1973

Irina woke up and looked over to see Jack's sleeping form next to her. She smiled as the slightest snore escaped him. He stirred, as if able to sense her watching him. "Hey, gorgeous," he said. Irina smiled. They'd been married a month. Jack sat up to look at the clock on the bedside table. "Damn. I've got to get up."

Irina frowned. "Oh, Jack. Do you have to go?"

"Laura, you know I do. I've got to work."

"Oh, I miss our honeymoon. I liked spending all that time with you." Jack smiled.

"I miss it too," Jack said. He stood up, and Irina slipped out from under the covers. She stuffed her feet into a pair of slippers and wrapped herself in a warm robe, then pattered out to the kitchen as Jack went into the bathroom. She started the coffee and opened the refrigerator to start breakfast.

Jack had left for work and Irina sat at the table drinking coffee and reading the paper. Suddenly, the phone rang. She picked it up. "Hello?"

"Laura?" came a woman's voice.

"Yes. May I help you?" Laura sat down on the edge of the counter.

"Laura, it's Emily Dessan. I don't know if you remember me. We met in May, at the dinner." Emily? Then Irina remembered. Arvin's old girlfriend.

"Emily. Of course I remember. So nice to hear from you."

"Yes," Emily said. "Now, I don't know if you're interested in this, but Arvin and I are having a small party next week, and we'd love for you and Jack to join us." Arvin had gotten back together with Emily? When had that happened?

"Oh. That sounds lovely, Emily," Irina said. Then, she decided to make a friendly move. "Emily, would you like to come over for coffee some time?"

Irina could sense her hesitation. Then she said, "That sounds lovely. Would Friday work?"

"Of course, Emily. Just stop by around ten." Emily agreed from the other end and they hung up the phone. Irina finished her coffee, then went to do a bit of snooping in Jack's office. Early in the month she had swept the house to find any traces of bugs. There hadn't been any. Apparently Jack trusted her. That would work to her advantage. Nothing in the top drawer. Irina then picked the lock to the second drawer. Bingo. She pulled out a file labeled "Project Christmas."

wauw awesomeness, i absolutly love all of it, i caught up with all the great chapters i missed while i was on vacation and i must say that i love it, thanks for all the pm's

wooooooooooooooooooooww...... OH!! That was soooooo cool! She's getting to the parts when she hasta kill those agents but I'm waiting for baby Sydney! :lol:

btw, I LOVE your av and sig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Irina was waiting in the living room when Jack arrived home. "Honey, I'm home!" he said, just to make Irina laugh. He embraced her. "Did you miss me?"

"I always do," she said, blushing. He was so nice to her. "What do you want for dinner, darling?"

Jack thought for a moment, then kissed Irina's forehead. "Let's go out. You shouldn't have to cook again."

Irina giggled. "You're just saying that because you don't like my cooking," she said.

Jack shook his head. "Now you know that isn't true. I would eat your food for every meal of my life. Now get dressed. I'm taking you out."

Irina obliged and went to their room. She changed into a long black dress and heels, pulling her hair back into a loose bun. She grabbed her purse and was leaving the bedroom just as Jack walked in. "That was fast," he said. "You look gorgeous." Irina blushed.

"So, where are you taking me?"

Jack smiled. "A little burger joint I know."

Irina laughed. "Oh, Jack, don't tease."

"You set yourself up for that one, Laura." Irina laughed. She had.

The next morning Irina slept late and woke up to find that Jack had already left. She looked at the clock. 9:30. How had she slept for that long? She had to meet Kozlov in an hour. She showered and dressed quickly in a modest black skirt and a blouse. She needed to look the part of a modest housewife out to do the family shopping. She left the house, driving to the grocery store. She picked up a few groceries. At the checkout line the girl said to her. "Take your first left out of the parking lot. He'll meet you at Red's Tavern." Irina showed no acknowledgement. She had been told not to.

She placed the groceries in the trunk of her car and drove to Red's Tavern. Was Kozlov meeting her in public? She walked into the restaurant, taking off her sunglasses. The room was smoky, filled with drunks in for their early fix. She looked around. No sign of Kozlov. The bartender looked up. "Ladies' room's in the back, ma'am." Irina nodded, confused. She walked towards the back of the restaurant, into the ladies' room. There was Kozlov.

"Meeting in the women's restroom now, are we?" she asked.

"It's pretty deserted at this restaurant," Kozlov said with a smile. "Well, you saw the crowd outside." Irina nodded. Kozlov smiled for a second, then continued. "Your mission this week will be to plant bugs in a few select places around the home. Perhaps the kitchen, definately in Bristow's study."

"Of course," Irina said, taking the plastic bag Kozlov handed her. "I found a few of Jack's files in his study. Mostly on the beginnings of Project Christmas."

"Interesting," Kozlov said. "Were you able to read them?"

"Not yet," Irina said. "I will try to."

"Take some pictures," Kozlov said. "Bring the film in next week. We'll meet here again. This location will be safe for a few more weeks. No one pays much attention. Now, walk calmly out and drive home. Make no stops." Irina nodded, took her purse and walked out of the restroom and out of the restaurant. Kozlov was right. No one paid any attention to her.

Irina woke up as Jack tried to slip out of the bed quietly. She smiled as she rolled over. Jack turned around as he heard the sheets rustle. "I was trying to let you sleep in," he said.

"Sorry," Irina said. "But you don't have to do that. I like having breakfast with you." She slipped into a robe that was draped over a nearby chair and shoved her feet into slippers. She padded out to the kitchen. She started water boiling to make oatmeal, Jack's favorite breakfast. She took orange juice out of the fridge and poured two glasses. She placed a bowl of brown sugar and a pitcher of milk on the table along with the new placemats they had gotten as a wedding gift. When Jack came out fully dressed a few minutes later, Irina smiled. "Morning, sweetheart," she said.

"Oh, Laura. Now you're the one spoiling me," Jack said, sitting down at the heavily-laden table.

Irina laughed. "You can think that, but I just wanted some oatmeal," she joked.

"Funny," Jack said, digging into the food. Irina picked at her oatmeal.

"Emily's coming over this morning," Irina said. "And she invited us to a party she and Arvin are having next week. Would you like to go?"

Jack nodded. "Arvin mentioned a party. I think it sounds great. Are you sure you'll be comfortable?"

"Of course," Irina said. "When we broke up, Arvin and I said we'd stay friends, and I intend to keep it that way. I don't want to avoid him forever. He came to our wedding. I can stand going to his party and meeting his former and current girlfriend."

Jack nodded. "All right." He finished his breakfast, then looked at the clock on the wall. "I'd better get going. Have fun with Emily, darling." Irina stood and kissed Jack goodbye, then walked him to the door.

"Have a good day, sweetie," she said, the ever-compassionate wife.

Back inside the house, Irina rushed to the bedroom and removed a plastic bag from her purse. She walked to Jack's study and slipped a tiny camera onto the door frame, deep in the shadows of the wooden carving. She slipped an audio bug underneath Jack's desk in a place where he would never look for it. Then she moved to the kitchen and the living room, placing cameras and bugs.

When she was done Irina went back into the kitchen. She started coffee and whipped together a coffee cake. By the time the doorbell rang at ten o'clock Irina had set the cake on the coffee table in the living room, along with two cups and a pot of coffee.

She opened the door to see the curly-haired woman from the ball. "Good morning, Emily. Come in." The opened the door wide enough for Emily to walk in, then shut it again. She noticed that Emily looked very nervous. "May I take your coat?" Irina asked, trying to be a polite hostess. Emily wriggled out of a thick black coat.

"Thank you," she said, handing the coat to Irina. Irina placed it in the foyer closet, then led Emily into the living room. "This looks lovely," Emily said, trying to be polite. But the situation was two awkward. The two women stood across from each other, both rigid.

Finally, Irina sat down, and Emily sat on the couch across from her. "Coffee?" Irina asked, gesturing to the pot.

"Please," Emily said. Irina poured a cup for Emily, then handed it to her. Emily took it graciously, took a small sip and set the cup down on the table. Irina poured herself a cup, then cut two slices of the coffee cake. Emily tasted it, then said, "Delicious."

Finally, Irina couldn't take it anymore. "Look, Emily, I know I went out with Arvin, but we're over. We're just friends now. I'm happily married."

Emily breathed a sigh of relief. "It's great to hear you say that. I mean, I know that you're over. It's just, strange, you know. Arvin chose you over me."

"But he went back to you," Irina said. "So ultimately, he chose you over me."

Emily nodded. "True, and I'm happy with him, and I can see that you're happy with Jack, so I guess it's all over."

Suddenly, she looked up at Irina. "You know Laura, Arvin asked me to marry him last night." Irina was shocked.

"Really? That's great," she said, then saw that Emily was about to continue.

"I said yes," she said, holding out her hand. Irina looked at her ring.

"It's lovely. Oh, Emily, I'm so happy for you."

Emily smiled. "Thank you. That means a lot to me." She shook her head. "I...I don't know why I just told you that. I mean, I haven't even told my family yet." She looked up at Irina, "But I feel like I can trust you, Laura."

Irina smiled, but it was troubling. Emily thought she could trust Laura, a woman created out of lies. "Thank you," she said. "I hope we get to be good friends, Emily."

Emily smiled at her, then looked at her watch. "I'd better be going. I hope you'll join us next week."

"We'd love to. But you should stay, finish your coffee."

Emily hesitated, but consented. "I guess I have time for one cup of coffee," she said. But as it was, one cup of coffee turned into two, and two into three. Irina found that she could really talk to Emily, or at least, that Laura could really talk to Emily.

After Emily left, Irina went into Jack's study. She opened the drawer that contained his files. She pulled out the file on Project Christmas. Most of the papers she had seen before, but she opened one labeled "Testing." She skimmed it quickly, then went to get a camera out of the bedroom. She photographed the page, along with others, detailing questions and testing methods. Perfect, she thought, closing the drawer. She slipped out of the room and went back to the bedroom to put the camera away.

Suddenly, the phone rang. "Bristow residence," she answered.

"Laura?" came a familiar voice. "It's Robert Clarkson."

"Hello, Professor," Irina said. She had been expecting this call for a while now. She was supposed to return to work in two weeks, and Clarkson was the one dealing with what class she would teach.

"Laura, I just wanted to let you know that the university would like you to teach a class on Russian literature." Irina smiled. That was a relief. She could manage that. "Your class will meet Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from ten to twelve, starting a week from Monday."

"All right," Irina said. "That sounds great. Thank you, Professor." She hung up the phone and went to her desk where she kept her typewriter. She would have to get started on lesson plans.

Irina was involved in the plans for the rest of the afternoon. She didn't even hear the door open when Jack came home. She was surprised when he opened the door to the bedroom to find her typing away wildly.

"I take it the university called," he said with a laugh. Irina looked up at him. It took a second for the words to register, she was so involved in what she was writing.

"Oh, yes. My class starts in a week."

"Good," Jack said. "How about I make dinner tongiht? You can keep working." Irina nodded, and Jack left the room. Irina went back to her plans.

Irina suddenly felt like her role had changed to truly being somebody's wife when she went to Arvin and Emily's party. Everyone there expected her to be by Jack's side the whole time. They were shocked whenever she spoke, expecting Jack to speak for both of them, as all the other husbands did. Irina found herself drifting off as the men discussed politics and the women stood by their husbands. She could see that Emily shared the same opinion as she stood next to Arvin. As it turned out, the party was held to announce their engagement, but Arvin had done the announcing, and he had received the congratulations. Finally, Irina gave up and walked over to Emily.

"So, how are the wedding plans going?" she asked. Emily looked shocked when she looked up and saw that Irina was talking to her. The other wives saw the two talking and walked over to join them.

"Well, we're going to get married in the summer. Probably somewhere nearby. I think we just want to have a small, outdoor wedding." All the women smiled and agreed that it sounded great. Then, collectively, all of their eyes drifted over to their husbands who were looking back at them. "We'd better go back over there," Emily said. "We wouldn't want to shock them too much, would we?"

The next Monday Irina went back to her job at the university. She was nervous when the class started, but got into the swing of things as it went on. At the end of class students congratulated her and Irina smiled. This is what she had been doing before the KGB recruited her. It was the only part of her life that wasn't fake, but it still was fake. She hadn't graduated from college; she shouldn't be teaching. It was all fake, and she hated that it was all fake.

I'm trying to find a way to skip to the deaths in the CIA and baby Sydney. Any suggestions? Also, what kind of mother should Irina be? The way I've developed her character, I think she'd be a good, compassionate mother, but, then again, she does leave Sydney in the end. What do you guys think should change her?

As always, any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks for all your comments! I'll try and update again tonight.

Back