Alias Renewed for Fourth Season!

:madfire: OMG!!!! hyperventilating!!!! No new Alias until 2005!!! Can't breathe, can't breathe!!! That means there is only ONE MORE NEW EPISODE for the next 7 months!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really don't think that delaying it until January is such a bad idea, now that I've had some time to really think about it. Of course, at first I was like... WTF! Why would they make us wait 8 months for the new season? And I was mad cause the series that they are putting in its place in the fall sounds dumb. But, starting it in January is beginning to sound like an OK idea. The episodes will be better, and we won't have 4 week breaks between each one like we had this season. Plus, we will all be SO excited that it will have been SO worth the wait. And of course, they say a Re-Run free season, virtually uninterrupted. We all know that it will be interrupted once in a while for an awards show, but I don't mind that all that much, because Jennifer Garner always attends the awards shows, and I love seeing all of the dresses, etc.
The only thing that bugs me about the new scheduling is the 20 eps instead of 22. Most shows have 26 or so eps in the season, so the alias season was always short to begin with, and now they are making it even shorter. So I think, if we do anything like send letters, emails, etc we should ask for the full 22 ep season, because i think letters about starting it in the fall will be ineffective, because they have already made up their minds about when it will start. If we ask for 2 more eps, or have 2 of the eps be 2-hours long, we may actually get that!
One more thing... for Gartan fans... after JG and MV wrap their movies they'll finally have some downtime to spend together... and maybe we'll get more pics! I mean, we have to look on the bright side now, because the decision has been made!
~Heather

Write to ABC. My parents said that if alot of people write or call in the put the show on earlier. It happened to a couple shows. Write in!!

I read Kristen's column at Eonline and she shared some thoughts and comments made by Stephen McPherson (the head guy at ABC)...nothing new...basically he said that ALias' problem is that it loses momentum because there are times that the episodes can't be shown consecutively. They are bringing it back in January so it can air w/o repeats and keep the momentum going. Kristen seemed to think this guy knows what he's doing. (keep in mind...this is the guy who used to be in charge of Touchstone (the company that produces Alias)..so if anyone is going to support the show it's gonna be him.

Also, Krsiten said, contrary to what was reported elsewhere...she heard from someone high-up that we will get 22 episodes next year not 20 as had been reported. If anyone is a member of E, it might be worthwhile asking her that question (and others about Alias) in her chat on Monday.

I don't think that sending letters, emails to ABC will change the schedule and bring it back sooner than January.

Alias should start filming at the regular time, just ABC won't air any episodes until January so they can be aired all at once :smiley:

WHAT !!!!!!!!! I can't wait that long !!!!!!!!!!!!

WIll do lots of calling and emailing,............ABC is forever screwing up there ratings with cancelling good show, or moving the shows they already have all over the place till you can't remember when they come on.

The Practice wasn't at it's best this past year but if they had never moved it (3 times) people would have watched more.

I still miss Once and Again IMO one of there best shows, another they screwed by changing it's day and time.

You know what cracks me up about ABC, there motto..

Quality Family Programing, hardyyyyyy har har

The Bachelor ?????.......yah, lets see what girls will do for money and sex..
Wife Swap ???????

At least they don't have to much reality felgercarb !!!

Sorry for venting, lol

I think that running the episodes consecutively is the best thing for Alias and the best way to attract new viewers. Having said that I'm bummed that we have to wait until Jan to see our favorite show. It's going to be a long wait. I just have one issue with them saying that the episodes will run without interruption through the season. What about all of the awards shows that occur in Jan/Feb that caused Alias to be off for weeks at a time last winter? Are those suddenly going away? I doubt it. They also told us that the rest of the season would run consecutively this spring and that didn't happen either. Hence the 3 week wait for tonights finale episode. So I guess I'm wondering how they are going to show Alias on nights when they have the awards shows. The superbowl we can do, they've done it before, but the other shows??? Hmmmm??? I am glad that Jennifer will get a break for a while. Poor girl has been working her tail off!

I'm going to add my voice to the numbers of people who don't think this is such a bad move. As long as we get our full 22 episode season and as long as ABC promotes the heck out of Alias in December to remind casual viewers about it, I think it might really help Alias a lot. I, for one, will be very happy to have consecutive episodes, and if it gives JJ more time to reevaulate what made Alias so wonderful in the first place (and how Season 3 flew in the face of those qualities), I think we'll all be happy. Yeah, January is very far away, but I actually think it's easier to have the wait all at once, instead of getting teased with a new episode and then having to wait another month for the next one, like we suffered through this season. So I say, go ABC! I think this was a bold and gutsy move on the part of the new execs, and it actually gives me hope for the future of the show. Of course, my evaulation of their commitment to the show will probably depend upon the amount of promotion it gives Alias prior to its run.

Charlie said:
Alias should start filming at the regular time, just ABC won't air any episodes until January so they can be aired all at once :smiley:
I think you're right. They usually start in July/August and whether or not we get 20 or 22 episodes, the shooting schedule should remain the same.....if for no other reason than the actors have commitments outside of Alias and are only available to shoot for so long.

Don't want to burst anyone's bubble but I don't think letter writing/emailing is going to change the fact that the show won't be back til January. Don't forget, Alias isn't the only show on ABC and ABC is not going to rearrange their schedule just for Alias fans...said but true.

If it makes anyone feel better...Fox is doing the exact same thing with "24" the season finale is on Tues and it won't be back til January....for the same reasons, it will be back w/o repeats and there will be consecutive episodes.

I live in Iceland, and I think they're about to how ses.3 of alias here so I'll have something to watch here but still not untill next year and 20 episodes, damn. :( that sucks :(

But cool, no breaks :smiley:

~dru (crimson snow)

Wow, have I been out of the loop! My husband just told me that he read the new season of Alias was being delayed until mid-season, so I had to come here to find out if it was true. I usually only bop in to read VerdantHeart's wonderful columns and then get right back out again before I'm tempted to read the spoilers (or even the speculation). I love to be surprised by my favorite TV shows and Alias is about the only one who can surprise me with any consistency. This is disappointing news for sure (but then again, I would like a new episode every week, 52 weeks a year!).

After thinking about it for a few minutes, and reading some of the comments from the ABC bigwigs, I really think there are several "silver linings" here. I'm just as impatient as the next rabid Alias fan, but one of the things that frustrated me most about this season was the constant stopping and restarting (meaning the long delays between new episodes, showing repeats so early in the season, etc.). It really caused the show to lose momentum, and though I never miss an episode, sometimes it was difficult for me to keep track of all the details - and this is one of the few shows where the details really matter (which is a big reason why I watch it!). I can't imagine coming into it as a new viewer this past season and actually becoming as hooked on it as I still am. I'll bet most of us who would never miss a show became viewers during the first 2 seasons.

For me, I think that this is a positive sign that the networks are finally seeming to get a clue that it is NOT a good idea to constantly interrupt the flow of their shows by pre-empting them regularly, changing their time slots several times a year, etc., etc. I've seen a number of shows in the past that really had potential killed because the "musical chairs" scheduling sent their ratings into the dumpster. I DON"T want this to happen to Alias. Even though I don't think the show was as interesting as it was the first 2 seasons (at least until the last few episodes), it's still one of the best programs on TV (and good TV shows that treat viewers as if they actually have a brain get rarer every year).

I haven't had a chance to read through all this thread yet, and I'm sure that cooler heads have prevailed by now, but I would suggest taking several very deep breaths before firing off messages to TPTB and looking for constructive avenues that might actually help the show.

I think writing to ABC and others connected to the show is a fine idea, but a respectfully written letter supporting the show will be taken a lot more seriously than an unrespectful one. And, an actual letter delivered by snail mail (rather than an email) often has more of an impact as well. (and while you are writing, would you mind asking them for more scenes with Jack next year :D ) and Sloane, and Jack and Sloane ...)

JMHO,
Sherry

THIS SUCKS!!! I really want to know why ABC is trying to kill this show!! I mean they wait 3 weeks to put the finally on and then they don't start it back up until January!! I mean what is wrong with the people over there??

I checked out Kristin's chat on E. She said the TV Guide article was misleading...the one that said there would only be 20 episodes of Alias. She said that they got a full order(meaning 22 episodes). Someone asked who told her that and she said JJ Abrams.

I checked out the TV Q and A's at TV Guide and USA Today, today. Neither TV critic thought that ABC was trying to "kill" the show with the move and both pretty much thought it was a good idea. Don't forget they are doing the same thing with "24", it seems that ALL the networks are trying to do away w/reruns and do more "year-round" programming.

MaryJane said:
I checked out Kristin's chat on E. She said the TV Guide article was misleading...the one that said there would only be 20 episodes of Alias. She said that they got a full order(meaning 22 episodes). Someone asked who told her that and she said JJ Abrams.

I checked out the TV Q and A's at TV Guide and USA Today, today. Neither TV critic thought that ABC was trying to "kill" the show with the move and both pretty much thought it was a good idea. Don't forget they are doing the same thing with "24", it seems that ALL the networks are trying to do away w/reruns and do more "year-round" programming.
well, that's better, at least with the 22 eppys...

and they do have a point with the no-rerun thing...

but I DON'T think it's fair to make us wait so LONG!

I will be writing letters and emailing, just to show my support. Personally, I think the wait between episodes is better than every week. True, there are a lot of details, but it gives you something to look forward to.

Think about it like this. You have a chocolate cake. Would you rather wait a year (or in this case, 8 months) and then shovel it down, or eat it slice by slice over a long time? Ok, that's REALLY stupid, but it's how I view things. ^_^

Ok, i'm editing my post because I just had a thought!
Season 3 comes out on DVD in September, so it's not like we'll have NO Alias. It will be fun to re-watch the 3rd season leading up to Season 4! AND if you have a lot of willpower, you could watch one eppy every Sunday (not that I would ^_^ )

OOOOOOOOOk, I really don't like the waiting, but i'm just trying to be positive! This might be a positive thing for Alias...maybe...I'll just keep telling myself that... ;)

OH MY HOLY GOD!!!!! R THEY TRYING TO KILL ME?? I ALWAYS SAID THE WRITERS/PRODUCERS/ABC PEOPLE HATED ME BUT THIS IS TOTALLY UNDESERVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY MOTHER JOKES THAT SHE IS THE ALIAS WRITER AND THAT IF I EVER WANT S+V TOGETHER AGAIN I HAD BETTER GO AND CLEAN MY ROOM SO THATS WHERE ILL BE ~TILL JANUARY!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS OUTRAGIOUS!

WE NEED TO GET SOME SORT OF A PETITION OF SOMETHING GOING TO GET IT BACK ON SOON

ILL BE CLEANIN~

I JUST DONT GET IT!!

Back