Alias Renewed for Fourth Season!

One reason they switched is because of fans complaining about the long periods in between the new episodes. Well for those people-I HOPE YOUR HAPPY NOW! I was able to wait a couple weeks for the next eppy(with some difficulty). But do you really want to wait 8 long months for the season premiere?? I'd rather have reruns and some space in between each episode now and then. Well, I guess I have to buy Season 3 right when it comes out because now I don't know what I can do to keep myself occupied until the season premiere in JANUARY :angry:

Wow, this completely shocks me! I have never heard of this sort of thing happening to a hit show and i just want to know what they are trying to do, making a move like this! I mean, do they love the show and want to show it without reruns, or do they want to "kill" it by starting it mid season?? I am confused. No, wait, im not confused, I AM MAD! 8 entire months WITHOUT NEW ALIAS??! Isn't it bad enough waiting a full summer?! THIS JUST SUCKS!

I am OK with this. No reruns or interupptions is great.

I know I will be hated for my opinion but both my wife and I agree it would be nice if ABC wrapped up all the loose ends in season 4 and give it a series finale that will never be forgotten. Then release it on DVD so we can watch the entire series in its perfection over and over again.

I wouldn't mind more than 4 seasons but I am afraid the show will become diluted over time. Why not end it on a good note with no loose ends and make sure it is released on DVD?

Well, to add my two cents...when I first heard this I was like, but "what am I going to watch in September?!?!?" :( Alias is one of the few shows that I watch and since Angel's been cancelled I was really looking forward to a new season of Alias. But then I thought about it and I think that waiting until January and showing all the new eps with only one or two eps being pre-empted will be better. I have to admit that with all the interruptions this year, I really lost the flow of the whole season and did not enjoy it as much. I'm waiting for the DVDs to come out so I can watch it uninterrupted. And with the extra time, I think that season 4 has the potential to be as good as 1 and 2. At least it wasn't cancelled.

On another note, I think that someone pointed out that in some places, they've had to wait a year between Alias season. Which got me thinking about another show that I watch. There's a Britcom called My Family that's on YTV late at night. It's hilarious but I had to wait FOREVER the 4th season to come on in Canada. The 5th season is currently on in the UK and I have no idea when or if they are going to show it here.

But we KNOW that Alias will be back. Though it will be hard to wait so long, I will be watching the news seaon in January. I can only hope that ABC properly promotes the return of the show.

They are SO NOT going to air all 20/22 episodes in a row. Why not? Becaus eof the awards shows! The Oscars, the Emmy's, and all those other awards shows. :angry: What, do they think we're stupid? What the heck!?

I hate to complain, but this seems kinda crazy to me. As much as I'd like to believe this will be a better way to air the show, I'm not buying it. Have you ever noticed that the longer you have to wait for a sequel book, or new television season, etc. to come out, the less interest you have in it? I'm afraid that's what's going to happen here. We die-hard fans will still care, but I find it hard to believe that the casual viewers will give a rip in 7 months. Crazy. :o_O:

I just saw E News Live and, according to Kristen, the reason that Alias was pushed back to January was due to Jennifer Garner's schedule. Kristen said that ABC wanted to air the episodes consecutively but with Jennifer's movie commitments they would not have had enough episodes filmed in time for the fall (September). (I guess she was referring to Jen's filming of Elekrta). - This is the first time I've heard this reason as an explanation for why Alias was pushed back to January....take it w/a grain of salt it's from Kristen.

MaryJane said:
This is the first time I've heard this reason as an explanation for why Alias was pushed back to January....take it w/a grain of salt it's from Kristen.
No kidding. If this is the reason, they will probably still have problems getting enough material together to run the eps back-to-back. I'm salting away.
;)

sailAlias said:
I hate to complain, but this seems kinda crazy to me. As much as I'd like to believe this will be a better way to air the show, I'm not buying it. Have you ever noticed that the longer you have to wait for a sequel book, or new television season, etc. to come out, the less interest you have in it? I'm afraid that's what's going to happen here. We die-hard fans will still care, but I find it hard to believe that the casual viewers will give a rip in 7 months. Crazy. :o_O:
Oh, yeah . . . missed this . . . this is the problem they're trying to avoid--once the wait to begin the next season is over, that is. One of the problems this year is that viewers lost track during the waits between episodes and didn't care. That's a bigger problem than waiting for the next season. Because, let's face it, if the viewer is "casual," they're going to forget over the summer anyway! The fans will be there in any case, and casual viewers will be picked up along the way--and if they have more continuous episodes (oh, who cares, the Oscars pre-empt one of 'em, what a bunch o' whiners), the casual viewers are more likely to stick around and, who knows, become less casual . . .

Mr Abrams says he "begged" to do it this way, and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe that he's telling the truth and not just towing the company line. After all the whining I heard from people about the gaps between episodes, I would have hoped to hear a little more support, but I suppose people want to have their cake and eat it too. (shrugs)
-_-

Well, I prefer back to back episodes, I waited 6 months for new Sex and the City and was never dissapointed, I back Verdanheart, it will be worth the wait, so woo hoo JJ!

From the TV Guide next week I believe...

"Belaying Tactic---If Alias fans are fuming over ABC's decision to delay the fourth-season premiere until January 2005, series creator J.J. Abrams must be livid, right? Wrong. He's elated. "I was begging them to do it," he admits, noting that the mid-season launch will allow his baby to run for 20 uninterrupted episodes (the same way Fox will broadcast 24). Meanwhile, ABC Entertainment prez Stephen McPherson promises that Alias' delayed start is not a sign that the end is near for the spy drama. "It will be an asset for years," he says. How many? Cracks Abrams: "Exactly 100." Nobody likes a smart-ass. Well, except me. "

Here's the latest from Kristen's column today...

Stop with the Alias Madness! Since ABC announced Alias wouldn't be coming back until January, I've received a slew of emails either accusing ABC of sadistic evil-doing or expressing concern that the delay is "a sure sign of impending cancellation."
I assure you, tubers, nothing could be further from the truth.
My sources at the Alphabet Net assure me that the bigwigs (including new prez Steve McPherson) are very much behind the show and want it to find the audience it so desperately deserves. That, my friends is the impetus for creating a consecutive first-run season (which will be interrupted only for the Super Bowl and the Oscars).
As for the January launch, initially the network wanted to start the season in fall as usual, but because of Jennifer Garner's film commitments (which were booked around the previous Alias schedule), it was logistically impossible to shoot all 22 episodes in time for a fall start. So, the show was pushed to January.
If you don't believe me, believe Alias mastermind JJ Abrams: "We could not be happier that ABC has decided to give us a launch--and consecutive, no-repeat run--that can help us sustain and build momentum. Not to mention the added time it will give us to make the show as good as it can be. After a fairly dark year for Sydney, we're thrilled to be back at work. I'm more confident in the show--and network support--than ever."

I wonder how Kristen explains how they're going to get no-repeats it's Ms Garner's film commitments pushing the season back . . . if that were the case, I'd guess that it would push the season back even further. I doubt they're having much more effect than they would in any ordinary case. I really think this is more about Alias--and that's what Mr Abrams was talking about; he wasn't saying "Kristen had it right; we're accommodating Ms Garner's movie shoot"! They already had scheduling problems and gaps . . . Elektra isn't suddenly causing them. <_<

Back