As Soft As Thunder

Author's Note: Sorry again for the long delay. I was working a lot and I recently started college again. :smiley: I simply promise I won't abandon this story completely. :smiley: Hope you all enjoy this next part!

Chapter Seven

Irina

The top of the black convertible was down and the car was speeding its way along the LA freeways. Irina’s flight had landed less than two hours ago and she was on her way to meet Sydney. She was a mix of emotions but none of it showed on her face as she deftly maneuvered through the city traffic.

She was dressed simply and very casually in jeans, a white tank top that showed off her lean, toned arms, and white Nikes. Her low ponytail whipped around behind her head, but she didn’t mind.

Glancing at the map secured to the passengers seat to make she had the right exit, she pulled off the freeway and began making her way through the maze of streets that was the real Los Angeles. About fifteen minutes later she was pulling into a deserted dirt parking lot satisfied she’d picked up no tails.

She drove slowly so she did not raise a cloud of dust and she roved her gaze over the abandoned warehouse sitting on the lot. Sydney had described this place to her in detail, so it didn’t feel like unknown territory. But more importantly, she knew that the CIA had abandoned it. Therefore, it was the perfect contact point for this meeting.

Around the back, she found a garage door that opened by hand. Irina left her convertible running while she heaved the door up just enough to clear the car. Once inside, she quickly shut off the engine and lowered the garage door back down. Immediately, the interior went dark and Irina switched on the flashlight she’d grabbed from the glove box.

The warehouse smelt dusty and dry and her swinging beam lit up stacks after stacks of packing crates. Curious though she was about what was in them, Irina didn’t stop to take a peek. She immediately made her way to the old office room in the corner. The door was locked, but it was just a regular key lock. Irina soon had it picked and open. She aimed her light around. A table stood against one wall, a cordless telephone sitting in the middle. Two chairs had been placed at it and one wall was stacked with more packing boxes.

She smiled when she picked up the receiver and heard a dial-tone. She hung it up, found the light switch, set her flashlight down, and then dialed a number she’d had memorized for a long time.

Sydney

The excitement of being free has worn off and I’ve had a bit of a lonely afternoon. Will didn’t have much time to stick around after bringing me home. There was still some paperwork left to finish at his “magazine job”. He apologized about it in the car and once he’d let me in, given me a key, a few words about what was in the fridge, a hug, and an apologetic smile, he was back out the door.

I took the time to wander around, noting the differences and the things that hadn’t changed. It was evident Will hadn’t touched much, but it was obvious he had settled into Francie’s room. There wasn’t much left in there of hers but a few picture frames with photos of the three of us and keepsake items with too many memories to doom to Goodwill.

Seeing my room was a bit of a shock at the same time as it wasn’t. The bed was made, but there was nothing else left around. No photos on the table, no jewelry box on the dresser. My closet was completely bare. The bathroom had towels and toilet paper and hand soap, but nothing that suggests regular use.

I wandered out the living room, at a loss of what to do. I don’t feel a desire to go out and shop yet. I don’t really want to see all the changes in the fashion world yet. So I just borrowed a pair of Will’s sweats and started in on a pint of Ben and Jerry’s from the freezer. Curled up on the new soft blue sofa, I stare out the window, contemplating my itinerary for the next few days. First, I’m expecting a call from Dixon with my bank account information and next, Carrie is coming over after she is finished at the JTF to go shopping.

The telephone pulls me out of my dreams of a brand new wardrobe. Expecting Dixon’s voice, the words I hear in answer to my bright hello shock me.

“Joey’s Pizza?”

“Wr...Wrong number.” I stutter and hang up. I’m stunned into confusion. That signal was retired a long time ago, right after the take-down of SD-6. And the voice! If I’m not mistaken, that was my mother. After a few more seconds of reflection, I realize I’m not that surprised to hear her voice. I’m more surprised that she actually called the house. It’s almost like....almost like I expected her to call, but not this soon. What is going on here?

Everything seems to be in slow motion and my thoughts feel foggy trying to sort through the facts. I knew that call from my mother was coming. How I knew, I don’t know, but I did.

I know I am going to go meet her at the warehouse. I know I don’t want to turn her in to the CIA. What has suddenly come over me? Before I realize what I’m doing, I’m getting up off the sofa and putting the ice cream away and my spoon in the sink. Will’s sweats come off and my suit goes back on.

But how am I going to get there? I don’t have a car yet. I guess I’ll have to borrow Vaughn’s. No, no, what am I thinking. I can’t do that. So borrow Will’s? No, he needs his this afternoon and he’ll be nosy. Dad’s? Dad’s could work. He finds plenty of things to stay at work late for, so he certainly has the time to lend me a set of wheels for an hour or two.
I pace the kitchen as I try to think. What am I doing? It’s like I’m not really in control of me. Then an explanation occurs to me. From somewhere in the blackness, I’m telling myself things and it’s confusing as hell. I’ve got to start thinking clearly again.

I make myself sit down at the table and I put my head in my hands. Trying hard not to think about anything in particular, the world slowly comes back into focus.

What I know is this: my mother called and I’m not surprised. I might even be a little glad. And while I still have no idea about my missing years, it seems very likely right now that she knows something. Whether I feel manipulated into this or not, I have to go meet her. I pick up the phone from where I dropped it and dial my dad’s cell.

“Bristow,” he answers.

“Hey Dad, it’s me.”

“Sydney. Is everything alright?”

“Yeah, Dad, everything’s fine. I was just wondering if I could borrow your car to go to the store and get a few things. Will had to go back into work.”

“You haven’t been given a car yet?”

“Um, no. All that re-issuing takes place tomorrow after my briefing.”

“I’ll be by in around half an hour,” he hangs up.

I don’t think I’ll ever figure my father out. At least I know I can always trust him. Or can I? Why didn’t I tell him about Mom’s call? I realize I feel a strong compulsion not to.

I start washing the dishes in the sink trying not to think too hard or second guess myself. I’ve managed to live a long time in this business by trusting my instincts; I’m just going to have to do again.

Before I know it, my dad has pulled into the driveway in a car I don’t recognize. I just finish putting the dishes away when the doorbell rings.

“Come in!” I yell.

Dad opens the door and waits for me to walk over. He hands me something as he starts to talk.

“I went ahead and signed these out for you.”

I look down to see a set of keys and cell phone in my palm and smile.

“Thank you, Dad,” I say as I give him a hug. He returns it and then holds the door open for me as we leave.

~~~

I take Dad back to the JTF, and then I’m all on my own in this. I still remember how to get to the warehouse, of course. This is one place I highly doubt I could ever forget. So much had happened here, I guess it’s rather fitting of my mother to choose to meet me here.

I’ve pulled into the parking lot, but no other cars are here. Well, I didn’t really expect Irina Derevko to announce her presence that obviously. I park where I used to and make my way inside.

Slowly, I walk around the boxes up to the cage, suddenly lost to memories. I can’t believe the things so fresh in my mind really took place years ago. Then I look up and see her. My mother is sitting right where Vaughn used to sit.

My first thought is that she looks tanner than when I last saw her. And then I realize she’s dressed more casually as well. I stop walking. I’ve seen her in that outfit before.

I am sitting, relaxing in a white chair. My fruit drink is sitting on the table cradled by my hand. I glance at her, sitting on the porch rail beside the table. I find myself looking into her eyes. They are crinkled at the corners because her smile is genuine.

That smile is just for me, I realize. I feel my face respond in kind then we both go back to listening to the one of the other people gathered around the table.

As quickly and vividly as the memory comes, it fades. But there it is, none the less. I dazedly walk through the little gate opening and she stands up. She comes over to give me a hug. I feel happy to see her, but half-heartedly return it.

“Let me look at you,” she says, and she stands back to look me up and down. I watch her warily, but she seems to have a real interest in my well-being. She takes my elbow and guides me to sit down with her.

Mom smiles the same smile I just remembered.

“Tell me what has happened since Hong Kong,” she asks straight out. I look her in the eye and she doesn’t look away. I notice that she looks a little uncertain as well. Finally, some pieces of the puzzle fall into place in my mind.

I’m not sure I can trust my voice to not shake. “I was with you wasn’t I?”

My mother nods and doesn’t look away. A little sadness creeps into her gaze.

The corners of my mouth lift in a little smile of relief. I am so glad I was with someone I trust rather than with Sloane. It’s a small moment of clarity, but I know without a doubt that I do trust her now.

As I open my mouth and begin to talk about all that’s happened since I woke up in Hong Kong, there is an underlying thought that won’t go away. I realize that by telling her, I have acknowledged to myself that I believe in what I have forgotten. A peace settles over me and we talk and I accept the fact that I truly love my mother and I would trust her with my life.

sydneymicheal: thanks for your review! you'll find out what happened eventually..just keep reading! :smiley:

A/N: sorry this is a little short, but Chapter Nine will make it up to you, being the longest chapter so far. :smiley: But you won't get that until there's some feedback on this one! so go forth! read and review! Thank you all for still being around. :smiley:

Chapter Eight

The view that appeared in the helicopter windows seemed infinite. A vast field of icebergs was lazily following the currents of the crisp blue ocean all the way to the horizon. But this seemingly peaceful and serene appearance hid the headquarters of the newest, and some would say the most dangerous, threat to the governments of the world.

This location had been on Arvin Sloane’s mind for a long time. In the seas of the Antarctic, few icebergs completely melted. They were never carried into temperatures sufficient for that. He’d had research teams tracking these migration patterns for quite a few years. Finally, a large enough berg had been located and deemed suitable for the type of facility he’d had in mind.

Tunnels and rooms had been carved out of the interior, the workers being extra careful not to disrupt the balance of the berg or drastically alter the distribution of mass. It had taken a long time, but it was finally ready to be inhabited. The blinking on the GPS locator in the cockpit signaled their arrival. The small helicopter landed on a natural occurring ledge about halfway up the east side.

Sloane emerged from the passenger side of the cockpit, bundled in a thick coat, and he strode across the flat to where there was a white box on the wall. He took off one of his gloves and flipped up the lid. Underneath was a simple keypad. The numbers 0-9 were displayed and a rectangle of green was flashing 7 blank spaces.

He pressed numbers and filled the spaces with asterisks. The screen went blank for a few second then it flashed: Approved. There was a faint click, and then a large portion of the wall depressed about 6 inches inward and slid up. Sloane looked behind him to where his pilot was unloading two small crates from cargo hold of the chopper.

The pilot brought the crates over and set them on the floor just inside the large doorway. There were four men waiting inside in a room with dull metal on all the surfaces. Sloane shook his hand before he headed back to the helicopter and lifted off, heading back the way they’d come. Sloane turned to the men waiting in the room and stepped in to join them.

There was another keypad on the inside of the outer wall and again he pressed a series of numbers. The big door dropped and pushed forward, back into place, camouflaging the only entrance to this place very effectively. After a second of total blackness, the place flashed with bright halogen bulbs that slid our from under covers in the ceiling.

A different sequence was pressed by one of the men into yet another keypad on the opposite wall. It split down the middle, the two sides sliding back completely. A long, brightly lit metal tunnel extended out before them and without waiting for instructions, two of the men each grabbed a crate and followed Sloane down the tunnel, another man beside Sloane and the last at the back.

Sloane lead the way through his fortress, a satisfied smirk fixed on his features.

Sydney

The sun is starting to set behind the warehouse when we’re finally ready to leave. Mom walks me back to my car in silence. My mind is trying to figure out what to tell people about where I’ve been. No one can know that I am in contact with her.

With a sigh, I turn and give Mom a big hug. She has tears glistening in her eyes.

“I love you, Sydney. Good luck,” she says and then quickly walks away, back into the building. I watch her with a heavy heart, trying not to believe the thought that this could be the last time I see her.

Driving away, a lump in my throat, I mentally review everything she told me. Mom said it was necessary for me to re-enter the CIA with no memory of the months I spent with her. If I had gone through the CIA’s analysis with my memory intact, I never would have been able to hide anything.

She explained that we had made all the plans together. Therefore, we arranged a way to get my memories back after I had been released and cleared by the CIA. Her phone call was the trigger event. Actually, hearing her voice was. From now on, things like that will bring back memories instantly. Mom called them extra-sensory stimuli. She set them all when she used hypnosis to make me forget in the first place. I guess that some days I will recall three to four things. And some days none at all. It all depends on when these stimuli come.

So I’m finally feeling hope for the future. I may not remember much yet, but I will. I may not understand fully yet, but I will come to. And I realize I finally have something back that was missing since Hong Kong that I’ve always felt lost without. A purpose.

When I first entered this business, I was driven by patriotism. When I found out the truth, I only wanted to avenge Danny and take Sloane down. When that happened, I worked towards having a real chance at love and a normal life with Vaughn. And now, my goal is to fulfill my prophecy. It feels a little odd, this complete change of view regarding Rambaldi, but my mother and my instincts have convinced me.

I pull into the driveway, turn off the car and sit for a minute. Thing will not get easier from here on out, I’m sure off that. But it’s ok. This cause deserves all my effort.

And now, my goal is to fulfill my prophecy. It feels a little odd, this complete change of view regarding Rambaldi, but my mother and my instincts have convinced me.

I like this resolve. It always seemed that Sydney was fighting the prophecy when she should have tried to understand exactly what Rambaldi meant. :cool:

;)

laura_vaughn: glad you found this and like it! You are on the PM list. I hope you like the update!

lenafan: yeah, I always wondered what would happen if she believed it. So now, I just get to write it my way!

sydneymicheal: It sure is, and here's your next part!

on with the story... :smiley:

Chapter Nine

Sydney

The beeping of an alarm is intruding on my first night of real sleep in a real bed with real sheets. I was so deeply gone that I’m struggling to remember why I set the damn thing in the first place. Finally it dawns on me that I wanted to go in early to my briefing. I groggily get out of bed and into the shower, replaying everything from yesterday over in my mind again.

Dixon did call me and give me all the information on the bank accounts. As soon as we hung up, I transferred everything into new accounts that only I’ll have access too. And then I went shopping with Carrie. That was fun and the most normal experience I’ve had since waking up. I bought a lot of new clothes although I’m nowhere near having a full wardrobe yet.

And I have a new memory. I walked with my shopping bags and I saw Will standing at the counter with a glass of milk in his hand. And I remembered sitting at that outside table, opposite Sark, both eating milk and cookies while the sun beat down. We weren’t talking but there was definitely a feeling of camaraderie.

Finally awake, I get out of the shower before the water turns cold. My new khaki pants fit perfectly and the black tank top completes the simple look. I dry my hair and pull it back in a clip at the back of my head.

I’m carrying my high heels when I walk out of my room and toss them on the mat by the front door as I greet a still sleepy eyed Will with his head buried in the refrigerator.

“Have anything around here that’s suitable to eat?” I ask him. The fridge rattles and then his head pops out with a hand over the spot where it met a tray. Will displays a grimace at me.

“Ok, you evidentially haven’t forgotten how to sneak around!” He now grins and rubs at the back of his head. “But you need to work on getting more observant.”

I look down at the counter and see what I’d overlooked. A bag of bagels is sitting out along with a tub of cream cheese. A bowl of peaches, bananas, and apples is by them. I smile at Will as he turns back to the fridge and retrieves the carton of orange juice he was after. I watch him moving around the kitchen and think that I’ll never take sharing a meal with another person for granted again.

I pop a bagel in the toaster and when it’s done the click of the handle brings back another memory.

I am standing behind a sofa. To my right is the porch and beyond that the ocean. To my left is the kitchen where the click of the toast finishing is heard. I hear my mother busying herself, making breakfast. Sitting on the sofa in front of me is my sister.

I cannot hear the words but I know we are talking about the papers and folders spread before us on the coffee table. A few other objects are there. Mini tape recorder, a pen. She turns around to look at me and her expression is tense.

I just stare at the toaster and at my browned bagel until Will shakes my shoulder and says, “Sydney? Sydney are you ok?”

I shake myself mentally and make myself smile at him. “Yeah, I’m fine. Why?”

He looks at me strangely, “You’ve been staring at your bagel for like a minute.”

“Oh,” I say and grab it out to put the cream cheese on.

“I guess I was just thinking. I’m going to go in early today. I’ll see you when you get there, k?” I give him a peck on the cheek, grab a napkin for my bagel, snatch a banana, and pick up my car keys and phone off the bar.

Wriggling my feet into the high heels, I wave at Will and rush out. I have the sudden urge to get to the JTF, but it doesn’t make sense. It’s not like I’m going to tell Dad he has another daughter. A small smile creases my lips as I slide behind the wheel and balance my food. Another thing that should surprise me but hasn’t. I have a sister. And I have the feeling she will be very instrumental in taking Sloane down.

~~~

Walking back into the CIA building unchained gives me a little thrill. For so many years I walked through these halls with out a second thought and now I know just how imposing this place can be. There are not a lot of people around at this hour. I decide to walk slowly around the building just reacquainting myself with it. It feels a thousand times removed from my experience a few days ago.

Finally, I head to the main room. I round a corner and there I see what has to be my desk. A small smile lights up my face because there is a big banner over it that says “WELCOME BACK!” There are a few balloons as well. Still smiling, I go over and sit down in my chair and lean back. Then I see Vaughn walk into the room.

His nose is buried in a folder and he’s carrying a cup of coffee. I let myself watch as he sits down at his desk. The same one I remember him having; the one across an aisle and down one from mine. He is obviously completely focused on whatever he is working on and he logs on to his computer and is now intent on the screen. Suddenly, I’m having another memory.

I roll over in the bed and open my eyes. Sunlight and breezes are coming through the open window and linen curtains flutter. I’m very disoriented, but soon focus my eyes and glance around the strange room. Startled, I see I’m not alone. In a chair, at the foot of the bed sits a blonde haired man staring at his laptop screen. I rise up on my elbows to get a better look at him.

He looks up at the noise of my movements and his crooked smirk reflects the humor I see in his blue eyes.

“Good morning, Miss Bristow.”

I snap back to the present with a gulp. That was the morning I woke up after the fight and my world was changed. Evidently, Sark was around a lot while I was with my mother. Anyway, I don’t want to dwell on that right now, so I think it’s time to take Marshall up on his offer for new equipment. I stand up and walk past Vaughn on my way to the Technical Lab. He looks up and does a double take, surprised to see me.

“Oh. Hi, Sydney. You’re, uh, here early.” He doesn’t meet my eyes and minimizes whatever was on his screen.

I pause and smile at him. “Hi. Yeah, I decided to come look around a bit before, you know…everything got back to normal.”

He fidgets when he looks back up at me and tries to smile. “There’ve been some changes but it’s all basically the same building.”

I nod, and there is an awkward pause.

“Um, look...I was just going to go in search of Marshall. Is the lab in the same place?”

“Actually, that was one of the departments that got moved around. Let me walk you there.” He looks nervous offering this, but we both know we’re going have to learn to be around each other sooner or later. I hope my smile looks genuine as I agree.

We walk side by side in silence down the corridors. But now it’s not an awkward silence, it’s a shy one. Our footsteps are echoing in time together and the squeezing in my chest is coming back again. I hope the lab was moved closer.

We turn the corner and are greeted by glass panels. Vaughn puts his hand on the black door handle and opens it for me. I say thank you and start to go in, but he stops me with a hand on my arm.

“Sydney,” he says and pauses, looking into the room. He takes a breath and looks straight into my eyes. “I’m still your ally.” He gives me a somewhat apologetic and hopeful half-smile. My breath catches in my throat and I can’t say anything.

Vaughn gives my arm a light squeeze then lets go of my arm and walks away. I watch him for a second, regaining my poise. It seems his heart still lies with me, and I don’t know if I can handle that. He’s married. He might have been happy if I hadn’t returned. But I can’t think about the “if only’s” right now.

I turn into the room and wander around tables with wires and gadgets in various stages of completion. Marshal is sitting at one of the four computer consuls. He’s got headphones on and is singing totally out of tune. I smile, walk over to him and tap his shoulder.

“WHOA! Syd!” He exclaims, jumping up out of the seat and pushing his headphones off.

“You’re back! Well, I already knew that, remember, I went and saw you, yeah…” He looks at me for recognition, I nod and he continues. “but...I mean... you’re really back. Here. On the job again!” Marshall has a huge grin on his face and just looks at me for a second before he suddenly sits back down. “I guess this means you’ll be here for your stuff. Right?” He barely acknowledges my nod and keeps talking. “Right well... Um... let me just finish this...very delicate work... complicated equations... for.. um...yeah...this thing I’m working on. but you... wouldn’t.... understand it... so!”

He starts muttering while he’s clicking and typing then turns the screen off. He gets up and gestures to me.

“Come right this way, step right up! Your stuff’s in this bag. Swank shoes by the way! I think Carrie has them...”

He pulls out a black purse and hangs it over his arm. “See? Normal purse right? One you’d take to the mall and get your wallet out of...Here sir! Just ring it up!” He imitates a high voice. I stifle a smile. I’ve missed hearing him go on so much. He coughs and then stutters through showing me the hidden knife that is released by pressing one of the decorative metal divots.

Marshall also puts in a bug-killer lipstick, two-way communicator compact, knockout gas perfume bottle, a tazer keychain, and a silencer pen.

“Thank you so much, Marshall,” I say as I gather my new gear together and prepare to go back to my desk. He blushes a little.

“No problem, and uh, it’s good to have you back.” He smiles and turns to get back to his work at the computer. As I close the door behind me I overhear him singing out of tune again.

I smile as I walk back through the corridors to my desk. Maybe it is good to be back.

~~~

The briefing room is exactly the same. I just walked in to find Kendall and my dad seated at the long black table. The screens are blank. I go to one far from the door and as soon as I sit Kendall closes the door.

“Good Morning, Agent Bristow, let’s get started shall we?”

I nod as my father starts speaking.

“After the SD-6 takedown, Sloane disappeared for a long time. Around the same time, Benefit International was founded. It was seemed to be simply a society of major businesses and companies who give financial aid to various humanitarian efforts. It quickly became well-known and prestigious. What we didn’t know was that Sloane was behind it and using it as a cover for his operations.”

Kendall cut in, “We only learned when Sloane came out of hiding. He cornered Jack here in LA, revealed his connection with Benefit International, and told him confidently that they would work together again.”

This all sounds vaguely familiar and I hear echoes of early conversations with my mother. But I can’t let them know that.

“So, what’s being done?” I ask.

“Well, it’s been slow going, but we have some double agents in some of the minor corporations, and have a contact close to what appears to be a high ranking operative for Sloane himself.” Kendall replies.

My dad jumps in with, “Progress may not sound like much, but believe me, we’re in a good position right now.”

I just nod. I’m willing to do whatever they need to help take Sloane down, whatever they need while I wait for my full memory to be restored and then maybe things will be clearer.

“Alright,” Kendal presses a button on his remote and a picture of a man going through airport security is brought up on the screen.

“This is Eduardo Milan. He owns quite a few gold mines in central Peru. These mines also produce some silver, copper, and iron oxide. He recently became a member of Benefit International and since then we have been monitoring his activities. We had an agent retrieve all his invoices for the past eight months, and we’ve found some discrepancies between the production amounts and the shipped amounts. Some 3 million dollars worth of ore is missing at this point.”

Kendall pauses and presses the button to bring up a new picture of a modest looking building.

“This is his office. We believe his safe is here as well. What we need to find if he is keeps records of where the unreported profits are going. Agent Bristow, you will be going in at midnight when the guard changes for the late night shift. More detailed mission specs will be on the plane, along with your op-tech. You leave tomorrow morning.”

Alice

I’m getting worried. I haven’t been on a mission or heard from Sloane in three months, since the day I got word he’d received my last mission report. True, I’m never contacted unless necessary, but this is the longest time I’ve gone without contact. It feels unsettling.

I get up off the sofa where I’ve been ignoring the book I’m supposed to be editing and walk out the front door. I should just check the mail instead of wondering what it might or might not hold.

The day is slightly cloudy, but warm with a small breeze. It’s beautiful and I know Michael and I would have at least gone on a walk together this afternoon, but he was called in earlier than normal this morning.

I wish he would just tell me the truth about where he works, it would be so much easier. The little red flag is up on the box at the end of our drive. Pulling out the stack of mail, I start sorting it as I walk back inside. A junk mail ad for this little Hawaiian Shave Ice stand near the park falls to the ground and I squat down to pick it up. I smile. Finally, the silence has been broken.

~~~

I’ve walked past the little shave ice stand and I glance at my watch. I’m a little early, so I sit on a bench across the way, pretending to read but also watching the people for anything suspicious and double checking for tails. I’m a little glad Michael wasn’t home when I left, it spared me having to make an excuse for taking a walk alone. At precisely six-thirty I get up and walk over to place my order for a small cherry in the little paper cone.

The attendant makes it for me quickly and then I slip around to the back, between the wall and the tall bushes and tree trunks. The door handle shakes as it unlocks. I step inside and grin at Danny sitting in chair by a little water cooler. We are in the storage room and the agent posing out front has orders not to come in the room for twenty minutes.

I take the other chair and begin eating my ice. Danny shakes his blond-brown head at me and starts talking.

“We don’t have another mission yet, I hope I didn’t get your hopes up,” he says, slightly teasing. He knows I don’t enjoy going months without any action.

I raise my eyebrows at him. “Then why are we meeting?”

“Headquarters is finished and we’re both to come in.”

“Really? When?” I ask, a smile forming.

“In three days. Here are your plane tickets.” Danny reaches into his jacket pocket and then hands me a round trip ticket to and from an airport in Chile.

“Under your seat will be a key. After you land, go to the storage lockers and use the key to open number 147. Our next instructions will be inside. I’m on a different flight, and I’ll be there before you. We’ll meet in the rental car area ten minutes after you arrive.”

“That’s it?” I ask. Going to see the new building is all well and good, but there has to be something else going on here. Sloane wouldn’t just risk two of his top agent’s covers for an open house.

Danny shrugs. “I know it seems odd. But Sloane must have something he wants us to see or something he wants to tell us in person.”

I throw my empty paper cone away, tap the tickets against my palm and ponder this development.

“Ok, well, see you later then.” I give him a hug and leave the little building. The plane tickets go in the secret pocket in my jacket and I head back towards my house, trying not to hypothesize too much about why Sloane would need to see us in person.

Syd's memory is starting to return.
Can't wait to see what happens on her mission
and what Sloane wants to tell Alice and Danny.
Thansk for the pm.

eek. I'm so sorry I haven't updated since October! I didn't realize it had been so long... Anyway, here's the next part!

Chapter Ten

Paris

She sits alone under the soft yellow porch light. Wrapped up in a green blanket, legs curled under her, and hands folded in her lap. Staring off into the now dark blue waves reflecting the pale white moonlight, she wishes things could stay this peaceful forever.

But soon she will leave this island for an indefinite amount of time and she will just have to believe that she will return in later years. She looks down at an intricately carved wooden box sitting on the low table beside her. Her mother told her to open it three days after she left and that would be tonight.

Paris is very hesitant to open it, she already knows what it holds, but to finally read Rimbaldi’s words herself will make every thing feel so final and inescapable.

Finally, she unfolds her body and brings the box to her lap. Manipulating its geometry, she lifts the wooden lid and stares at the ancient looking papers held together by fraying string.

Gingerly untying the cords and unfolding the papers she begins to read and mouths the prophecies silently.

The woman here depicted will posses unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works. Bind them with fury, a burning anger. Unless prevented, at vulgar cost this woman will render the greatest power unto utter desolation.

Paris remembers the months she spent getting to know her sister. It’s hard to reconcile these forceful words with Sydney’s usual gentle character. But she also remembers seeing the drive and focus Sydney can have and she smiles. Sydney is now even more of a force to be reckoned with than she ever was before.

Flipping the page, she sees a picture of a middle-aged man in the lower right corner. She has never personally seen Sloane, but she’s seen plenty of pictures and this looks just like him. Knowing about his obsession with Rambaldi, his knowledge of Rambaldi’s works, and that he has this prophecy is unnerving.

The man here depicted will be the one to bear my burden. This is he who will find all the answers and fulfill my works. He is my heir and will make the greatest power ever known to mankind realized upon the earth.

It was confusing, why Rambaldi seemed to want something prevented and finished at the same time. Paris shook her head and turned to the final page. The fact that this was the one prophecy Irina had managed to hide from Sloane was the one thing that gave her cause any hope of succeeding. A sketch that was obviously her mother was in the lower right corner.

The mother here depicted is the one who will seek. Combine this woman with her daughter, and a way out may be accomplished. She is a strength and a weakness to my heir, he must beware. If she gains what she seeks, demise is sure.

Again, Paris wonders how Rambaldi can be so ambiguous. Whose demise isn’t specified, but it makes sense to believe it is Sloane’s. The last page is crowded with sketches and schematics and small sections of words. She reads the sentences next to the largest drawing first.

This is the key to all that could be. Only this will answer the questions of life and death forever.

The other words are just as cryptic.

All forty seven pages and forty seven vials must be assembled if Il Dire be wrought correctly. The key holds the answer, but you must ask the right question.

The beginning of this time will come when the woman’s mind is unlocked, when the mother starts her final seeking, and will stay until my heir has made an end sure.

<0>

Paris closes the package back up and curls back up in the chair. The time of Rambaldi had begun and she had no more time to use in contemplating the things set so plainly in writing before her. These prophecies had been unleashed so uncertainly upon the universe, and she was there to help straighten them out. She stood up and went inside the house to pack a bag so she’d be ready whenever her signal came.

Irina

Sloane sits still, staring at her face in disbelief. He’d thought he was done dealing with her. He knew he was totally disregarding their meeting protocol, but then again, he doubted she expected him to.

“Hello,” Irina purrs, “Expecting someone else?”

“I didn’t know who to expect. What are you doing here yourself?” he asks, regaining control of his tongue.

“I could ask you the same thing. But never mind. I have an offer for you,” she says, turning to face out into the night, but watching him from the corner of her eye as he resumes the proper contact role.

“What could you possibly have to offer me now that you couldn’t before?”

“How many vials are you still looking for?” Irina sees him stiffen and knows she has fully grabbed his attention.

“You have them?”

“Not personally.”

“Then you are wasting my time.” he starts to get but her next words make him sit down again.

“I know who does.”

“And you assume I want this information badly enough to give you something in return, am I right?”

Irina goes straight to her demand.

“I’d like to see Il Dire.”

Sloane again disregards protocol and turns to narrow his eyes at her. He desperately needs to find the missing vials, but at the price of letting this woman near the masterpiece is just too high.

“You know that is not possible.”

“But it would be if I also delivered to you Jack and Sydney, wouldn’t it?”

Sloane looks at her with disbelief and distrust. He had just been putting plans together to bring Jack on board, and here he was on what looked like a silver platter. Sloane knew Irina had to have ulterior motives, but he’d never believed she’d use Jack and Sydney as bartering chips to realize them. Who was he to throw away such an opportunity? He didn’t trust Irina, but he could use her and possible thwart whatever she was trying to do. The temptation was to great to resist. Sloane stands up and holds out his hand to Irina.

“Alright, it is a pleasure to do business with you again.”

Irina shakes his hand and follows him to his waiting limo. Sitting in the backseat across from him, speeding off to who knows where, she smiles.

~to be continued~

Back