College/ Universities

Marlene said:
DUDE!  I like must smack you around!  *hug*  Right by LaGuardia.  (No not the Airport...the HS for the arts!) And lincoln center...didn't we go to lincoln center to watch that ballet thing?  Hrm...the karmazovs...oh wait that was 7th n/m.
[post="1094229"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

:laughbounce:

*shakes head in shame for Cynthia*

:D

You should also keep in mind that if you're a Canadian going to an American school, the school isn't always recognized by Canada.

Of course all the big ones are, but the smaller ones usually aren't. So look into that if your trying to get a scholarship.

^ Right. That's a major biggie. I've seen students that went outside the country for schooling (US, England, etc) and when they come back, their education doesn't transfer over. They have no Canadian experience and thus can't get a certain jobs.

It's a "help those who school in Canada first" thing.

I'm baffled by how many people leave their good jobs in their home countries, thinking they'll get a better one here, and come to find that their experience just doesn't translate over. In Canada, we've got former astrophysicists, doctors, etc working in fast food because they can't find work. I'm wondering if some people are being very misleading to those back at home about the job market here.

what do you mean they arent recognized kelly?

I think I just answered your question.

Advice for people applying to college: if you have the grades, get into a college that has an awesome reputation, but is wicked simple once you get in (i.e. Brown University). Some examples of schools NOT to apply to: MIT, Berkeley.

Also, some advice about my own college, Providence College: if you are preppy and/or popular (also, being attractive is a plus), go here. If not, SKIP IT. I do not personally fit in the above category, and PC is totally not right for me. -_-

As for grad school, I am hoping for American or George Washington, but...

I find that the less well-known the schools are the BETTER they are. So if your guidance counselor recommends a school to you that you've never heard of, my advice is to GO FOR IT. Apply. It may become your dream school.

Also, some advice about my own college, Providence College: if you are preppy and/or popular (also, being attractive is a plus), go here. If not, SKIP IT. I do not personally fit in the above category, and PC is totally not right for me.

Are they at least preppy/popular stupid, so that you can stand out as a brainer?

I really want to go to school in NYC.

FIT, Parsons, or NYU are my big choices. I don't want to go to Columbia b/c I think I would kill myself or become homocidal with all the work :lol: and i don't think i would even GET IT!

nance said:
I really want to go to school in NYC.

FIT, Parsons, or NYU are my big choices. I don't want to go to Columbia b/c I think I would kill myself or become homocidal with all the work :lol: and i don't think i would even GET IT!
[post="1097695"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

There's tons of work no matter where you go.

I'm curious!

I'm a junior in high school so I still got lots of time to think. (hee I learned some people don't decide till sophmore year in college.)

I wanted to major in bio, there's so many kinds to choose from. :o_O: I guess you could say that for just about everything.

Majoring in Molecular Biotechnology. Although, I haven't started studying the specific subjects for my course yet. I really get into my course next year.

November 13 said:
neurobiology and literature majors...although I am thinking of dropping literature to my minor.
[post="1099216"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Neurobiology! That's quite close to neuropsych, which is one of my faavorite things to study. Unfortunately, I'm too dumb to really go into it. :lol: But bravo for you!

I was going to pick up a lit minor... but I changed it to women's studies because the WS classes sounded much more interesting.

I'm a junior majoring in Anthropology. I started out as pre-nursing, but decided medicine wasn't for me & switched to fossils, languages, & cultures. The coolest class I've taken is Human Osteology. It was hard, but it was fun spending time in the department's osteo lab. Being around 7,000 year old bones can lead to some interesting jokes and discussions (a classmate holding a human rib declared "Barbeque time!")

I'm a junior English major with a concentration in Writing; I am also Minoring in Marketing. Being an English major doesn't necessarily mean that you will be a teacher now; I will be a technical marketer with a writing emphasis.

Back