French Help

Well the trick could be e comes first in the alphabet, so i is always after. ;)

J'habite à Melbourne en Australia
Here à means in. In a sentence, we don't say "Melbourne, Australia" so we add this little word en which also means in. ^_^

à la mer, à la plage, à la piscine, etc. for feminine
au parc, au terrain de jeu, au bowling, etc. for masculine ; au = à+ le
aux endroits, aux Etats-Unis, etc. for plural (feminine & masculine) ; aux = à + les

gee thanks so much sophie
i actually understand it now
and to think I read my textbook over six times and was all :blink: and you could explain it to me so easily
THANK YOU! :hug:

I was just wondering, when do you use "comment" and "quoi"

Like, when my teacher had no clue as to what I said, she said "comment?"

And I really haven't seen "quoi" used.

I guess you know that "quoi" means "what", and "comment" means "how".

If you didn't understand/clearly heard what someone said, you can tell this person comment ? or pardon ? in the polite way. You can also say quoi ? in this situation but it's not really polite.
Quoi can alo be used if you want the person to repeat because you heard clearly, but you want to be sure of what the person said. Am I clear?

Sophie said:
I guess you know that "quoi" means "what", and "comment" means "how".

If you didn't understand/clearly heard what someone said, you can tell this person comment ? or pardon ? in the polite way. You can also say quoi ? in this situation but it's not really polite.
Quoi can alo be used if you want the person to repeat because you heard clearly, but you want to be sure of what the person said. Am I clear?
[post="1235226"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Ahhh. Thank you! :D
UncoveringAlias said:
Would you say "You don't like me" as "Tu ne m'aime pas" ?
[post="1236317"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Oh no! Object pronouns! :run: I can't remember if the pronoun comes before or after the "ne" :banghead: I should know that :(

UncoveringAlias said:
Would you say "You don't like me" as "Tu ne m'aime pas" ?
[post="1236317"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Tu ne m'aimes pas.

facade47 said:
Ahhh.  Thank you! :D
[post="1236453"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
De rien. ;)

blueangel said:
the order's right, but it's tu ne m'aimes pas. i should know since i make that mistake in my siggy!
[post="1236570"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
you're right :P

okay :smiley: I was pretty close, I guess

Okay, here's something I'm confused on

I'm unsure when to use:

tu / toi

cette / ça / que (my teacher says that 'que' in the middle of the sentence means 'that')

If that doesn't make sense, I mean that I don't know when to use 'tu' or 'toi.'
Any help is thanked in advance!

ETA: And also tous / toute / toutes

Sophie said:
It means "You're thinking of an ancient love. Which one are you thinking of?"
[post="1236887"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

a bit off topic, i know but: it was in the prequel series(forget which book) and it was soo sweet and a bit flirty in a subtle way! go read it!
there's this one misson where syd goes to France and they speak french! Noah could do a fake accent and the real one! I think vaughn could do that too...

tu is the subject. like tu aimes manger or tu as 47 ans.
toi is not...obviously

Okay, I think that sort of clears up that tu / toi thing...so is tu like when you are telling a story or something, where they are doing something, and toi when you are telling them to do something?

ookkk some translating..

"pour vos pauvres"

"For your poors"? that sounds kinda awkward. I'm thinking it might mean some non-dictionary word like "for your troubles"? Or hmm... "For your poor people"? Oh in the context the guy gives him money so the other guy will give him some information if that some how helps...

well, I think literally it means that, but maybe something like 'for your problems' or something alongs those lines...I'm no expert, so don't rely on me :lol:

sd6452 said:
ookkk some translating..

"pour vos pauvres"

"For your poors"?  that sounds kinda awkward.  I'm thinking it might mean some non-dictionary word like "for your troubles"?  Or hmm... "For your poor people"?  Oh in the context the guy gives him money so the other guy will give him some information if that some how helps...
[post="1243460"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

isn't that one of the first phrases in les miserables..it sounds familiar... i think it means for your poor, you just have to get the gist, don't worry about that little phrases

Back