French Help

Ok, j'ai posté ça ci-dessous ailleurs dans le forum, et puis j'ai trouvé cette section magnifique, alors voilà (et m bc):

________

Did anybody get the french spoken in the sydney/weiss/frenchiecop scene? This is the most I've been able to figure, some1 plz correct me:

____

WEISS: Qu'est-ce que vous foutez ? What are you doing? QU'EST-CE QUE VOUS FOUTEZ ?!! Oh! Police !

SYDNEY (motioning to FRENCHIECOP): You!

WEISS: POLICE !!

FRENCHIECOP: Que (?) problème ici ? (Is there a) problem here?

WEISS: Oui ! Cette cat a massacré mon moteur ! Yes! This prostitute massacred my ride!

SYDNEY: (Mimicking in bad French) A cré ma moteur !

WEISS: J'accige d'apporte à blague. (??? Obviously this is the phrase I couldn't pick up)

SYDNEY: (Still mimicking) Apporte à blague. (???)

FRENCHIECOP: Monsieur, calmez-vous. Sir, calm down.

SYDNEY: Je - ne - comprends - pas. I don't understand.

WEISS: S'accige d'apporte à blague !! (Again, ???)

FRENCHIECOP: Calmez-vous, monsieur !!

SYDNEY: (Still using bad French) Je - ne - prenais (?) - français ... pas !

WEISS: (Appalled) Ah!

SYDNEY grabs nightstick and breaks window.

WEISS: C'est balade ! C'est balade ! (I didn't quite pick this up either, is it something like 'take a walk', as in 'now you're going to jail'?) You filthy américaine, thpouy!

____

(désolé si je répète qqch q qqun a déjà dit) Anyone smarter than me, light me up ... I'm so unmultilingual ... thx

Bonjour,
j'ai réécouté la scène alors je me suis permise de corriger ce que tu avais écris.

WEISS: Qu'est-ce que vous foutez ? What are you doing? QU'EST-CE QUE VOUS FOUTEZ ?!! Oh! Police !

SYDNEY (motioning to FRENCHIECOP): You!

WEISS: POLICE !!

FRENCHIECOP: Quelqu'un a un problème ici ?

WEISS: Oui ! Cette garce a massacré mon moteur ! Yes! This prostitute (le mot b-i-t-c-h conviendrait mieux) massacred my ride!

SYDNEY: (Mimicking in bad French) Massacré mon moteur !

WEISS: J'exige de porter plainte.

SYDNEY: (Still mimicking) J'exige de porter plainte.

FRENCHIECOP: Monsieur, calmez-vous. Sir, calm down.

SYDNEY: Je - ne - comprends - pas. I don't understand.

WEISS: J'exige de porter plainte!! (Again, ???)

FRENCHIECOP: Calmez-vous, monsieur !!

SYDNEY: (Still using bad French) Je - ne - parler - français ... pas !

WEISS: (Appalled) Ah!

SYDNEY grabs nightstick and breaks window.

WEISS: Cette malade ! Cette malade ! Foutu Américain de touriste!

tolkien said:
SYDNEY: (Still using bad French) Je - ne - comprend - français ... pas !

[post="1253640"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Sydney said "Je ne parler français PAS!"

I remember because I can't stop using it hehe. Even though it's wrong!

sd6452 said:
Sydney said "Je ne parler français PAS!"

I remember because I can't stop using it hehe.  Even though it's wrong!
[post="1254556"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I think it would be...parle. That's the "I" conjugation of parler...

UncoveringAlias said:
I think it would be...parle. That's the "I" conjugation of parler...
[post="1255089"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yeah the correct conjugation would be "parle" but it's americanized sydney who said "parler" and put the "francais" before "pas". ^_^

merci Tolkein and ibdy! thanks for putting up the translation. *learns some more french words* - especially the bad word! Oh la la! and what verb is <<foutez>> conjugated from? hmm is that how you do quotations...?( I've always seem them like that)

blueangel said:
merci Tolkien and ibdy! thanks for putting up the translation. *learns some more french words* - especially the bad word! Oh la la! and what verb is <<foutez>> conjugated from? hmm is that how you do quotations...?( I've always seem them like that)
Foutez - It's from the verb foutre.
And yes, in french, you can quote like that <<foutez>> or like that "foutez".

OOOOO!!! *learns that verb too* it says in my dictionary: foutre=ficher (emploi vulgaire) to do. no wonder i've never heard of it....they only teach us relatively formal french...

Some points:

First of all, profund thanks to tolkien for the help with the stuff I didn't catch the first time through. I'm going to refute a couple tiny things, though, now that I've dl'd the ep and watched that scene a few times, but be sure that i'm inexpressibly appreciative.

- when FRENCHIECOP enters scene left, his speech is inaudible until "problème ici ?", although the most common phrase used probably is "quelqu'un a un (etc.)", as tolkien says. Yay.

- when WEISS responds, I honestly don't hear him say "garce" (which does indeed mean any of: b¡tch, strumpet, s|ut, loose trashy skank) but rather "cat", which I believe is an abbreviation (comme vous devez savoir, les français aiment ses abréviations) of "catin", which translates directly with "prostitute". (In fact, here's a 'did you know': "cat" was used as slang to mean just that in the frontier days in America, and its etymology does trace back to French by way of the Louisianan Creoles. How about that.) Alors, "cette cat a massacré mon moteur."

- when SYDNEY mimicks the animated WEISS, and indeed throughout the scene, she is pretending to be your typical arrogant, ignorant, abhorrent American in Paris. Therefore, Syd is intentionally slaughtering the language. In her first line, she makes it clear that "Amanda Peterson" knows virtually no French by saying "a cré ma moteur", purposely truncating "massacré" and mistakenly using "ma" à la place de "mon". Notice also how she does the same thing after Weiss says "J'exige de porter plainte" (I cannot believe I didn't catch that now... sheesh it's so clear); she chirps something that phonetically resembles "a port a plant".

- I'm also fairly sure SYDNEY does not say "je ne parler français pas", not because parler is the incorrect conjugation, since she's trying to speak bad French, but I'm quite sure I hear "prenais" (imperfect of prendre), as if to say "I never took French". Not that it matters, after all, since the obvious focus is on how she inverts "pas" with "français", one of the most common mistakes by budding fracophones and uncultured Americans. Incited by Syd's tone, especially the way she slows her speech as if to command attention, Weiss's appalled, high-pitched "Ah!" is fantastic, which, if you've followed the dialogue in French, perfectly conveys the disgust of a Frenchman forced to interact with a character as rude and arrogant as Syd's "Amanda".

- And finally, WEISS's final line is in English, "You filthy American! Thpouy!" (yes that is how you spell it), which was a delicious touch, though if you were to say it in French, it could be "foutu américaine" (Notice the verb "foutre" again? Here in participe passé form it means something closer to "cursed" or "damned", I believe. Personally, to translate "filthy" I enjoy using "crapuleux" simply because of how much fun it is to say.)

Having characters be actors themselves for a short while is a frequently milked goat for writers; here they did just that, and combined it with a humorous play on francoamerican stereotypes and relations, all the while employing the language masterfully. All in all, it's a very entertaining, clever, and well-acted scene, not to mention instructive for students of French such as ourselves. At the very least it got me to kill an hour I'll never have back by analyzing the f___ out of it. Oh well.

Hello,
i have still few remarks. ;)

ibdy said:
- when WEISS responds, I honestly don't hear him say "garce" (which does indeed mean any of: b¡tch, strumpet, s|ut, loose trashy skank) but rather "cat", which I believe is an abbreviation (comme vous devez savoir, les français aiment ses abréviations) of "catin", which translates directly with "prostitute".
First, the word cat. You should ask French people(i don't know if you are french but you use accent (y) ), because in Canada, we don't say cat, we say catin. We don't use abbreviation for this word.

- And finally, WEISS's final line is in English, "You filthy American! Thpouy!" (yes that is how you spell it), which was a delicious touch, though if you were to say it in French, it could be "foutu américaine" (Notice the verb "foutre" again? Here in participe passé form it means something closer to "cursed" or "damned", I believe. Personally, to translate "filthy" I enjoy using "crapuleux" simply because of how much fun it is to say.)

The final line of Weiss is really difficult to understand for me. Are you sure Thpouy is a real word? I've never heard this word before. It is an onomatopée (ici, le mot est en français )maybe? Or an expression of disdain?

foutu de..., you can use this expression when you're pissed off(emmerdé, ennuyé) by someone, but it's not serious as if you use cursed or damned. It's not a big degree of "hate"if you want.

Résumé: it's not easy to transcript scene in french from Alias. :lol:

To clear the confusion, for which I owe an apology: "thpouy" is not a word, it is simply articulately acted spitting meant to express disgust. That I implied any authority over the orthography of such meaninglessness speaks only to the dryness of my sense of humor. Except for that specific instance of onomatopoeia (that is how you spell that word), as you have aptly described it, Weiss's final line is most assuredly completely English, deftly done of course with the thick French accent: "... cette malade ! You filthy American, *thpouy*!"

Quant à "cat" ... je ne savais pas qu'on ne l'utilise pas à la place de "catin" au Québec. Pas à dire qu'il est très commun ailleurs, mais je crois que c'est entendu, au moins dans la France. En fait, je suis venu de l'encontrer, il y a des minutes, dans un autre message board -- qui, comme il s'avérerai, ressemble beaucoup à celui -- Quelqu'un même a demandé cette question-là ... alors bien, voici.

Anyways, I am less of a francophone than most here, and certainly less than tolkien, so don't take any of this as gospel.........

:smiley:
Ok, I have to be with Tolkien on this, and, since I'm french, i want to make a few things clear....

ibdy said:
Some points:

- when WEISS responds, I honestly don't hear him say "garce" (which does indeed mean any of: b¡tch, strumpet, s|ut, loose trashy skank) but rather "cat", which I believe is an abbreviation (comme vous devez savoir, les français aiment ses abréviations) of "catin", which translates directly with "prostitute". (In fact, here's a 'did you know': "cat" was used as slang to mean just that in the frontier days in America, and its etymology does trace back to French by way of the Louisianan Creoles. How about that.) Alors, "cette cat a massacré mon moteur."

- when SYDNEY mimicks the animated WEISS, and indeed throughout the scene, she is pretending to be your typical arrogant, ignorant, abhorrent American in Paris. Therefore, Syd is intentionally slaughtering the language. In her first line, she makes it clear that "Amanda Peterson" knows virtually no French by saying "a cré ma moteur", purposely truncating "massacré" and mistakenly using "ma" à la place de "mon". Notice also how she does the same thing after Weiss says "J'exige de porter plainte" (I cannot believe I didn't catch that now... sheesh it's so clear); she chirps something that phonetically resembles "a port a plant".

- I'm also fairly sure SYDNEY does not say "je ne parler français pas", not because parler is the incorrect conjugation, since she's trying to speak bad French, but I'm quite sure I hear "prenais" (imperfect of prendre), as if to say "I never took French". Not that it matters, after all, since the obvious focus is on how she inverts "pas" with "français", one of the most common mistakes by budding fracophones and uncultured Americans. Incited by Syd's tone, especially the way she slows her speech as if to command attention, Weiss's appalled, high-pitched "Ah!" is fantastic, which, if you've followed the dialogue in French, perfectly conveys the disgust of a Frenchman forced to interact with a character as rude and arrogant as Syd's "Amanda".

[post="1257638"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

First of all, Weiss does say garce...and not cat, wich is a world that we do not use except for what it means in english...a cat!!!
When we want to say prostitute we say "prostituée " ou "pute" (very bad word!!)

And he says exactly, "cette garce a massacré ma voiture" and not "mon moteur"
It would be a non-sense because moteur means engine and Syd did not touch the engine of the car...

Finally, she does say "je ne parler français pas " wich is incorrect of course but does make sense there cos she's not suppose to spreak french...

That's all I wanted to add. ^_^

marie said:
:smiley:
Ok, I have to be with Tolkien on this, and, since I'm french, i want to make a few things clear....
First of all, Weiss does say garce...and not cat, wich is a world that we do not use except for what it means in english...a cat!!!
When we want to say prostitute we say "prostituée " ou "pute" (very bad word!!)

And he says exactly, "cette garce a massacré ma voiture" and not "mon moteur"
It would be a non-sense because moteur means engine and Syd did not touch the engine of the car...

Finally, she does say "je ne parler français pas " wich is incorrect of course but does make sense there cos she's not suppose to spreak french...

That's all I wanted to add. ^_^
[post="1259511"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

well I stand very happily corrected. Truthfully, I still have a hard time hearing "garce" as opposed to "cat", and "voiture" as opposed to "moteur", and "parler" as opposed to "prenais", even after listening intently with those in mind ... yet each makes more sense (actually a lot more sense) the way you both have said. I guess just chalk it up to Syd's intentionally bad linguistics, perhaps generally unclear diction, and my own poor skills, although not at all in that order. ;) thx to you both.

blueangel said:
i thought you would use the ne...rien negation in there somewhere instead
[post="1266088"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I use negation
Je n'ai pas d'argent.
n'= negation and the word pas, it shows that you don't have something.

You use n' because you have a vowel after. Je n'ai pas d'argent.

You can use the ne...rien negation in sentences like
Je ne possède rien. Je ne trouve rien.
After ne, you have a consonant. And, you can observe that you use ne...rien when you don't have a noun in your sentence.
In your sentence, you had a noun argent/money.

Back