Heroesjourney.net's forums?

cordy said:
The boards will be changed prior to launch. How much sooner your guess is as good as mine. They will be changed as stated by the devs.

Well last i heard anyway lol

Welcome back traveler. Pit stop or are you home now?

Oxlar said:
Like I said, I'm just stating the obvious. Clearly I'm not alone in my oppinion of play.net's forums, so yes some of us 'prefer' a different organization to the forum boards we frequent. I did not say anything about quality of posts or moderators or connection capabilities to said board. Personally I like how these boards are organized. The only complaint I have is connection and loading times. But other than that, I enjoy these boards very much.

There is no problem at all with these boards for the purpose they serve. I don't think they would hold up so well with thousands of posts a day.

My own opinion here... but... if Frosty wants as much traffic as he hopes and dreams to get, he will have to operate on his own servers... at least one (or two) web servers, and one database server. I can tell ya for near certainty, he's running off of one server, or one web & one database, with both being shared servers. A shared server, hosting multiple sites won't work with lots and lots of traffic.

Of course, it'll cost lots of money to have the perfect setup. I've setup sites that handle massive amounts of traffic due to working in the hosting field... Here's to hoping Frosty's site can keep up once the game gets moving into beta and beyond.

~ Jaraeth

Well I hope its good software they've decided on. I love custom forum avatars and sigs. They better have those options or face the wrath of my cuddling.

Thaos Nightwind said:
Oh?.. i thought it was just me. Syl is right if thats the case.

I wouldn't go that far. There is a big difference between the budget for this forum and the budget Simu has for their forums. I t just a general comment about the performance of Simu forums considering the huge number of posts each day.

Thaos Nightwind said:
Well I hope its good software they've decided on. I love custom forum avatars and sigs. They better have those options or face the wrath of my cuddling.

The Simu forums already have too many avatars for my liking, I'm reading a message board, not a comic book.

Sylvado said:
I wouldn't go that far. There is a big difference between the budget for this forum and the budget Simu has for their forums. It just a general comment about the performance of Simu forums considering the huge number of posts each day.

Actually, the forum Frosty here has purchased, is noted to be one of the more expensive forums on the market. WoW uses these same forums on their backend, or at least did when they started out. However, what I mentioned about hardware and running on shared servers, can make a site load like felgercarb, and speed up beyond imagination.

While this forum utilizes PHP & MySQL on a Linux server, Simu run's their site on Winblows. Simu may not be utilizing this particular software as they probably will be keeping their Winblows IIS servers and thus, need forums capable of utilizing ASP, .NET, and MS SQL.

Anyhow, my point is yes, Sylvado is correct to a degree, but also keep in mind, a fast forum isn't always due to coding, but also the underlying hardware. Software bloat combined with bad hardware, will slow anything down, as will fast software and slow hardware or vice versa ;)

All I know is, I *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* can not stand the Simu forums. I've stated it there on their forums, and continually try to "get used to them" as so many hardcore Simu fan's have stated, but... I... just... can't... do... it.

~ Jar

Jaraeth said:
While this forum utilizes PHP & MySQL on a Linux server, Simu run's their site on Winblows. Simu may not be utilizing this particular software as they probably will be keeping their Winblows IIS servers and thus, need forums capable of utilizing ASP, .NET, and MS SQL.

Tell us how you really feel, Jaraeth. ;) I am Microsoft fan, myself. Billy Gates (he lets me call him that) is my hero. C#, .NET, MSSQL... I love it all.

Jaraeth said:
All I know is, I *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* *really* can not stand the Simu forums. I've stated it there on their forums, and continually try to "get used to them" as so many hardcore Simu fan's have stated, but... I... just... can't... do... it.

I would almost agree with you here, Jaraeth... If only you added about 3 more *really*s. :rolleyes2:

AND... Welcome back, Cordy!

navarre said:
Tell us how you really feel, Jaraeth. ;) I am Microsoft fan, myself. Billy Gates (he lets me call him that) is my hero. C#, .NET, MSSQL... I love it all.

I would almost agree with you here, Jaraeth... If only you added about 3 more *really*s. :rolleyes2:

AND... Welcome back, Cordy!

LOL. Yeah, I know! I'm op-onion-ated, that it causes tears in the eyes, and makes people through me far away. You want how I really feel? I had a whole spiel, possibly a dissertation... but. Nah, ya don't need to hear it ;) Let's sum it up to: in my personal experience, most Windows servers get hacked by lack of administration, Unix servers, by a lack of website security.

~ Jaraeth

ok, this could be a stupid question, but how do you sign up for the official forums? Figured it would be worth doing even if I didn't use it but I've tried lots of links on that site but can't find anything about creating an account.

P.S. Appologies if the answer is rediculously simple and I missed it.

Well, I had an old play.net account so I asked them to activate it for the forums. I'm not sure if they can set up a new account just for the HJ forums, but if you sign up for the free trial of DR or GS (and please, if you sign up, try them out!) you can quickly have an active account that grants access to the boards.

Thanks for the link, couldn't see a way to create an account without starting a game account but wanted to check first.

Back