Heroesjourney.net's forums?

The name they give you is the name of your account, if you go into the forums you can then give yourself a Nickname that is used when you post.

Heh, most people mustn't have figured that out... I just looked around and saw everyone with the same convention and thought, "Oh well, this is it..."

It would be just incredible and really cool if their forums switched to a style like Hero's Hall... the same style of 99.9% of forums on the Web.

Much of Simu's staff have stated they don't like these forums and if everyone would get used to it, it'd be no big deal...

The big deal is, no one wants to get used to something no one else uses. I have no intention of getting used to their forum style either ;)

~ Jar

Jaraeth said:
Much of Simu's staff have stated they don't like these forums and if everyone would get used to it, it'd be no big deal...

The big deal is, no one wants to get used to something no one else uses. I have no intention of getting used to their forum style either ;)

~ Jar

Not to be mean to the simu staff but in all honesty shouldn't they be more worried about what their fan base thinks and enjoys rather then what they like and enjoy?

I mean last time I checked we are the ones that are going to be buying the game :smiley:

cordy said:
Not to be mean to the simu staff but in all honesty shouldn't they be more worried about what their fan base thinks and enjoys rather then what they like and enjoy?

I mean last time I checked we are the ones that are going to be buying the game :smiley:

You would think that... now, I don't mean to imply every Simu employee/GM, etc feels that their forums rock... but many feel their forums are simple, easy, elegant and the best ever. So do some of their followers... but outside that miniverse, few people can navigate that ... beast.

But I whole heartedly agree... pay attention to what the vast majority of your players and customers want... and I'm sure that new forums would be loved by at least 90% of the potential customers, if not more.

~ Jar

Ya know I remember a discussion about oh prob a year ago when the release date was still around feb of this year lol. That simu had stated that they were in the process of upgrading their forums. Hmmm makes ya wonder.

But I think they will end up having to prior to any type of release of HJ since a large percentage of their player base wouldn't use the current system.

Now I'm now web dev. but would it even be possible to implement both systems so that their current player base that enjoys that type of forum could still use it and the others could use something similar to vB?

blur said:
It would be just incredible and really cool if their forums switched to a style like Hero's Hall... the same style of 99.9% of forums on the Web.

Page 5 of this thread. I can page down 8 times. There is only 20 lines of new text. Very inefficient.

Sylvado said:
Page 5 of this thread. I can page down 8 times. There is only 20 lines of new text. Very inefficient.
Keep in mind, these forums could be configured differently, too. For starters, we could have more posts, per page, which instantly cuts down the situation you describe. I'm actually a little surprised we don't.

blur said:
Keep in mind, these forums could be configured differently, too. For starters, we could have more posts, per page, which instantly cuts down the situation you describe. I'm actually a little surprised we don't.

I don't mean the number of posts per page. To view a page at 1024x768 I can hit the page down key 8 times. That gave me 20 lines of new text.

OK, then I really don't understand you. I'm viewing at 1024x768, and I can hit page down about 4 times before the page bottoms out. I don't really understand what this has to do with anything, anyway.

blur said:
OK, then I really don't understand you. I'm viewing at 1024x768, and I can hit page down about 4 times before the page bottoms out. I don't really understand what this has to do with anything, anyway.

That has a lot to do with your monitor and the toolbars you use. The point is this style message board is big on fluff and short on content. Even with 4 page downs that's 5 lines of information per screen.

But that's just a formatting thing. The information here is well presented, nicely spaced out.

On the flipside, the official HJ forum is just staggering in its complexity. Unless you want to read each and every post, you can get completely and utterly lost in the conversation.

I actually think it's a plot on behalf of the devs to make their forum so unusable, that it will keep the numbers of users down...!

Jaraeth said:

Well, quite right. I have never seen a forum anywhere else on the Web like the one Simu uses.

The great irony is that, here, I feel I can access information very easily whereas over at Simu, I find it to be just one step above chaos. Yet, those who are oddly passionate about the obscure Simu style of forum, seem to argue the complete opposite. It's quite weird.

Maybe it just highlights left- and right-brained people.

Back