Home to Stay

Aww I think she should go to the premier with him!!! :love:
-And too cute...of course they're in each other's future!!! :D
Loved it!!! Great update!!

Chapter 26
(yes, I know July 1 isn’t a Tuesday, but I don’t really care; it needs to be for the story, so there :P)

-July, 2006-

Sydney could hardly believe it when she received an e-mail at work and noticed the date read Tuesday, July 1, 2006. How did it get to be July already? Michael’s movie premiere was the following day and she still didn’t know what she was going to wear. Michael had assured her that it was more of a jeans-and-t-shirt type event than a glittering Versace ball gown affair, but there was no way she was going in jeans.

Michael was the only thing that made sense about July creeping up on her; missing him, that was. She had never thought she could miss someone so much until Michael left to shoot the movie. That day at the airport she was having horrible flashbacks to when he left before and didn’t call her like he promised. There he was, promising to call her all over again, and she wanted to believe him but her once-broken, now mended heart wasn’t so sure. She then proceeded to threaten him that if he didn’t call her, she’d hunt him down and beat him to death with his phone. Michael, realizing her threat was far from empty, volunteered to call her from the plane, but she assured him that calling the moment he landed would suffice.

He called her the moment he was able to get cell phone reception after getting off the airplane, which put Sydney’s worrying at ease, but still, she missed him. After that phone call and one later that evening, she didn’t hear from him for three painfully long days. Apparently, the director of his movie (which had had it’s title changed so many times already that they just started calling it ‘The Movie’) decided that it was imperative that the cast ‘bond’ together before filming began. This meant that Michael was trapped into going on a mini-retreat with his cast mates, where their cell phones were taken away from them, forcing them to bond together. This resulted in everyone finding out the ugly side of everyone else.

In short, Michael learned that the woman playing Amy was the most self-centered, whiny, needy person he had ever met in his entire life. By the end of the two days, he was ready to kill her. Though she felt bad that he had to work with someone who annoyed him so much, Sydney found this to be a good thing. After all, Michael’s character was romantically interested in her character, thus, Sydney assumed there would be some kissing and close interaction between them and she preferred that Michael wasn’t attracted to her in the least. The fact that he was repulsed by her was simply an added sense of security. Not that Michael kissing another woman in the acting sense bothered her; it didn’t. She had learned back in their senior year of high school that stage kisses were simply that: stage kisses. Still, there was some room for worry. After all, Michael, she trusted, the other tramps, she did not.

After their ‘bonding time’, the actors got right down to business, which meant Michael was working twelve hour days and could only call her once a day for a short period of time on some days. Sydney appreciated the call since she only wanted to hear his voice, but she wished they could talk longer. She would have loved to hear about his day on set or tell him about her sister’s ridiculous antics in Philadelphia, but there simply wasn’t time. So, she was stuck moping around, waiting for a time when she could see him once more.

Since filming was so hectic and busy, Michael had little free time. The movie production schedule had been previously set around the date of Michael’s movie premiere and a day worth of press for that movie, so that was his only designated time off. Realizing this to be the case, Sydney agreed to go with him to the movie premiere, desperately needing to see him and not wanting to waste a second when she could be with him.

The premiere being in New York City actually worked greatly to her advantage. She would leave work at three-thirty on Wednesday, the day of the premiere, and catch a plane to New York, which would get her there around six. The premiere wasn’t until eight-thirty, so that gave her just barely enough time to take a car from the airport to Michael’s hotel, change quickly and then meet up with him for the premiere itself. Then, after it was over, she’d spend the night in New York, take a morning flight back to Virginia and be at work by Thursday afternoon. It was a perfect plan, though she knew it would make her exhausted, but that was a worthwhile exchange for seeing Michael.

Upon arriving home Tuesday after work, Sydney went directly to her closet, where she began ransacking it, searching for something to wear. She was looking for her most Hollywood-esque attire, but, sadly, found nothing she thought would be appropriate. Keeping in mind that Michael told her he was simply wearing khakis and a blue button-up shirt, Sydney pulled out a pair of nice black pants and a deep green tank top like shirt that was semi-fancy looking, or at least, in her opinion, one of the nicer looking things she had that wouldn’t be too hot for the middle of summer. After choosing her attire, she folded it neatly into a bag along with another set of clothes for the following day. Then, she settled down on her couch with Ophelia in her lap, trying to calm her nervousness about her first ‘public outing’ with Michael and the paparazzi cameras.

~*~

The following day was so hectic that by the time Sydney arrived in New York she was even sure what had happened at work earlier that day; she was too busy trying to stop her trembling. When her cab dropped her off at the hotel, Sydney had never been so thankful to see Michael waiting in the lobby for her (since she had called him on her way there, telling him she was only minutes away). She launched herself into his arms and clung to him tightly. “I missed you so much,” she sighed into his shoulder.

He pulled back and kissed her sweetly. “I missed you too and I’d love nothing more to talk with you for hours right now but we really need to get going soon,” he said, cringing slightly. Sydney nodded, knowing that the twenty minute delay of her plane had put them behind schedule.

They power-walked their way up to his room, where she went straight to the bathroom to change and freshen herself up after a long day of work, wishing she could shower, but knowing there wasn’t enough time.

“You look beautiful,” Michael sighed once she emerged, fully ready to go.

“Yeah? You think this shirt’s alright?” she asked cautiously.

“Perfect,” he said, kissing her cheek softly. “I’m going to have the best arm-candy there.”

She laughed. “I am not arm candy.”

“Yes you are,” he beamed. Then, he linked his hand with hers as they made their way out of the hotel room and down to where a large, black SUV was waiting to take them to the premiere.

The whole ride there, Michael stroked Sydney’s hand gently, trying to calm her ever-rising nerves. He was trying to assure her that everything was going to be fine, but he couldn’t blame her for being nervous. After all, during his first movie premiere he was a wreck and nearly tripped over a large bundle of wires, which would have been disastrous.

When Sydney caught sight of the red carpet lined with paparazzi, her heart rate nearly doubled and, though she tried to breathe deeply, it did nothing to calm her nerves. “It’ll be fine,” Michael whispered in her ear. She gave him a half smile as he kissed her cheek gently before their SUV door opened and they both stepped out onto the sidewalk. Sydney practically hid behind Michael as he slowly made his way towards the red carpet area. The reporters immediately began clicking their cameras more furiously and shouting out his name as he approached.

Sydney was forced to loosen her grip slightly as Michael approached the reporters and graciously talked to a few of them. Sydney tried her best to stay hidden from the cameras, but upon realizing that was impossible since they were surrounding her, she decided to just grin and bear it (quite literally, in fact).

Almost every reporter asked Michael who the woman latched onto him was and each time he responded that she was his lovely date, those words exactly - nothing more, nothing less. Sydney only noticed this after the third time he had said it and she was immediately confused, wondering why he had said this instead of saying that she was his girlfriend. It wasn’t until ten minutes later, when they had escaped to the interior of the movie theater that she was able to ask and Michael explained, “If I told them your name or that you were my girlfriend, they’d start hounding you and trying to figure out who you were. If you’re just some date, it makes them less likely to dig.”

“Oh,” she smiled softly at his thoughtfulness. Then, she kissed his cheek gently as a thank you.

“So you survived, hmm?” he grinned at her.

“Yeah, I survived. I’m excited to see the movie though. Do we get to see your tushie in this one?” she asked, grinning.

“Shhh,” he clamped his hand over her mouth as she giggled. “No, you don’t and ix-nay on the ushie-tay, would you?”

“Sorry, I won’t embarrass you in front of your celebrity friends. You have to promise to sit with me though, okay? You can’t slink off to the lobby every time you’re on screen,” she told him, giving him a dangerous look.

“Fine,” he sighed in a helpless manner. “I’ll just have to hide under my seat.” She rolled her eyes and shook her head at him.

I am glad that Micheal had the forethought to not mention Sydney's name since she doesn't like the attention ...
can't wait to see what happens at the premiere.

Back