No Matter What

SkyGirl5

Cadet
:hi:

an important a/n before the fic:
This fic has Sydney Bristow as the first female president of the United States. I wrote it back in June and I've hesitated posting it because, though i didnt notice it while writing, when I re-read it, it seemed to come across as rather America-centric, perhaps, not sure if that's the right word.
Anyway, my point is, I didn't do that on purpose, i suppose i'm just a victim of my culture or something. And i dont mean to sound like an arrogant American and though i tried to fix some parts of the story, i'm not sure i was able to fix everything, so I apoligize in advance for that.

Title: No Matter What
Genre: S/V AU minor angst
Summary: Sydney Bristow, President of the United States of America, has never really been concerned with finding a husband; she was much too consumed with her political career. Michael Vaughn, former pro hockey player and current owner of a sporting goods store, has always had trouble finding a love that lasts. A chance meeting between the two might just spark the love neither of them knew they needed.

another a/n: this is the oldest i've ever written Sydney and Michael (shes 38, he's 40) so uh... dunno that was just a comment :lol:
OH! and thanks to Carolyn for letting me borrow Abby :P

Chapter 1
The rhythmic pounding of her feet against the hard pavement lulled Sydney Bristow into a trance as she jogged along the cement path by the park. In, out, in, out, in, out, she breathed heavily as she ran to the beat of the music pounding in her ears emanating from the iPod strapped to her arm. It was early September and the remnants of a blistering hot summer were still lingering in the atmosphere. It was warm, so unseasonably warm that she was uncomfortably hot in her jogging top and shorts.

With one hard smack against the pavement, pain shot from her heel straight up to her knee, where it stayed and ached. She winced slightly but kept on going. At thirty-eight she certainly wasn’t young anymore, but stubbornly she refused to relent to aging even a year or two, so her morning running pattern stayed firm, or as firm as it could be with her busy schedule of uncertainty.

“Eagle is turning into the park,” the man behind her said into his wrist comm.

She shook her head slightly; disappointed she could still hear them through her headphones. Though being alone wasn’t always favorable, during her runs she preferred it. Unfortunately, being the President of the United States didn’t grant any alone time. She was eight months into her presidency, but still stretching her legs and getting used to the unfamiliar waters. After all, she was America’s very first female president.

Her career certainly didn’t end as she had planned it out. Always interested in politics, she considered being a Congressmen or perhaps a Senator, and maybe a mayor or governor. President had never been on the list. She graduated at the top of her class at Harvard Law, just like presidents before her. She worked hard in the business, not letting her conservative views hold her back in a liberal world.

In the United Sates, a person must be at least 30 years old to sit in the senate. Typically, the candidates are years older, but not her. At 31 she was utterly shocked when her home state of West Virginia elected her to be one of their representatives in the senate. Running for that position had never been something serious for her, more of a ‘why don’t I try it just to see if I can’ type thing. But once she won, she got the bug.

Quickly, she rose to the position of minority leader. Though the Republicans weren’t in control of the Senate, she still managed to get legislation on abortion, her main platform, published, even though the strictly pro-life plan was controversial. She concentrated on her career and nothing more. Truthfully, she hadn’t been all that interested in settling down and having a family. She was definitely more of a career woman. It wasn’t that she didn’t want a husband, she did. But, in all honesty, most men were intimidated by her. Her outspoken views and her overzealous attitude toward anything she was passionate about seemed to scare them off. No man seemed to fit perfectly into her preorgainzed live. A control freak perhaps, but most definitely organized. As for change, that was a thought she laughed at. She was too old and set in her ways (of course the word ‘old’ was never used). Then again, maybe it was as her mother pointed out: she'd never met someone who made her want to change.

Just like her original run for Senator, her run for the presidency had been a shock. She was positively floored when the Republican Party accepted her as their presidential candidate for not only was she a woman, but an unmarried woman. To that day, there had only been one unmarried president and he was often seen as the worst president in the country’s history.

Even with her party’s support, Sydney was still skeptical. After all, was the nation ready for a female president? Was the world? Apparently they were, because she won with fifty-one percent of the popular vote. Truthfully, she was still in shock, but she absolutely loved her job and wouldn’t trade it for anything else in the world, even if it was making her hair turn grey.

~*~

“Abby!! Abs! Come ‘ere girl!” Michael Vaughn called for his golden lab across the park. She had chased after a squirrel and run off again. “ABBY!”

A moment later he saw her barreling over a hill, tongue wagging from her mouth, tail wagging frantically as she approached. “There you are silly girl,” Michael said as he roughly rubbed her back. “Would you just get your business over with already? We have to get back and open the store.” He sighed. They were going to be late again. He knew it, but it wasn’t like there would be some 8 a.m. emergency for a hockey stick, right?

Abby barked and nudged his pocket. “No, we don’t have time for the ball now,” Michael groaned. She barked again and jumped up on her hind legs, pawing at his pocket. “Fine,” Michael sighed as he pulled out a yellow tennis ball that was partially chewed. Abby wagged her tail and barked repeatedly until Michael threw it hard and fast up over the hill. Abby took off at full tilt after it.

Michael went to jog after her, but stopped quickly at the sharp pain in his spine. He dug his fist into his back as he walked, feeling like an eighty year old man instead of his thirty-nine year old self. Stupid hockey injury, he cursed himself. Hockey, his ultimate passion, had turned out to be his downfall. In high school, he was captain of his team. He received a college scholarship for hockey and was recruited into the AHL with a real shot at the NHL. Real shot until his injury. Now, he was stuck running a small sporting goods store.

He wasn’t unhappy with his life, just slightly displeased. His fortieth birthday was three short months away and he wasn’t married; not even close. Sure, he had had a few serious girlfriends, even stupidly got engaged (for three weeks before breaking it off) once, but he'd never had that someone. Choosy was what his best friend Eric called him, but he called himself cautious. Every serious girlfriend had left him with a broken heart and he certainly wasn’t eager to continue that pattern.

~*~

“Oh!” Sydney gasped as a yellow tennis ball collided with her foot. She stopped running and looked towards the direction the tennis ball had come and saw a yellow lab barreling towards her. She laughed as the dog skidded on the sidewalk, frantically trying to snap at the ball with her mouth. Finally, she got it and looked up at Sydney, wagging her tail. “Hello, are you having fun?” Sydney smiled as she pulled her headphones out of her ears. She had always loved dogs and wanted one desperately, but thought it was unfair since she was almost never home. The lab barked happily at her and dropped the tennis ball at her feet.

“You want me to throw it for you?” Sydney asked. The dog wagged her tail, so Sydney picked up at the ball and tossed it. Unfortunately, she was a horrible shot because the ball bounced off a tree and came right back to them. The dog just looked at her.

“Abby! Where’d you go?!” a man’s voice echoed through the trees. Sydney looked down as the dog’s ears pricked, but she didn’t move.

“Abby? Is that you?” Sydney asked her. The dog wagged her tail even more frantically and Sydney laughed.

“Abby? ABBY! Oh, there you are. I’m sorry if she’s bothering you miss.... whoa!...”

First! Be back to review!

ETA-This sounds really, really good! I love the whole politics idea. I'm really big on that stuff. Please PM me when you update.

Can't wait for more.

~Karen

What a great start!
I know that I'll love this fic....of course just like the others!

One thing: you're not an arrogant American, you have to be proud of your country, because it's really great! I'm from Italy, but I totally love the U.S.!

Thanks for the pm and please keep me on the list!

What a great start!
I know that I'll love this fic....of course just like the others!

One thing: you're not an arrogant American, you have to be proud of your country, because it's really great! I'm from Italy, but I totally love the U.S.!

Thanks for the pm and please keep me on the list!

Wow! This is a really original fic! And I can't believe it! You're writing them OLDER! :D That's amazing Janet!

Abby sounds like a really cute dog... I wish I had a dog. :( My mother's allergic.

I can't wait to see his reaction to seeing Sydney; President of the United States! :D

About your whole AN at the beginning; I know that you're worried about coming off as some American who is obsessed with her country, but don't worry about it. This is the type of fic that has to sound like that. :smiley:

Thanks for the PM, keep em coming!

~Anja

OMG...Can't wait to see Michael's reaction when he will come face to face with President of the US

Sydney as President?? I think that's gonna be interesting...:smiley:

BTW I totally agree with Alias79. I'm from France but I love the US..I've been there a few times already...I'm sure your story is not gonna seem arrogant...I always love your stories

Please keeep PMing when you post more :D

Wow great story Vaughn must have been really shocked that he's standing in front of the president. I wonder what happens next please send me a PM when you update!

Oooh... I am so in!!

I love the politics idea. And seriously, Go Syd!

Side note: A golden lab named Abby? Seriously?? That's my baby.. she is lying right next to me as i type this... LOL... that's great!!!

Please do PM me when you continue!!

Back