Private School Costs!

I go to a private school. It's pretty cheap, only about $3,000 a year, books about $500.

Private schools in general are better (very very generally speaking), though there are many bad ones, including mine. I don't wanna be mean or act superior, but half of my school is simply unmotivated, to be polite. My school isn't exactly top notch.

Public schools depend on where you are. Many public schools in LA are horrible, but there are a number of people who do well. In other areas, public schools can be even better than many private schools. You just have to find the right one.

Milo47 said:
public school is way better.....the cost is nothing! except for regular school supplies!
Yeah, but if you want to get into an Ivy League... A really high-ranked private school helps.

I go to public school though. :D I think I'm glad I'm not private because it's so expensive and I guess I'm not too fond of wearing a uniform everyday although I know my parents would pay for it all. :rolleyes: they're weird... very very weird.

nance said:
Milo47 said:
public school is way better.....the cost is nothing!  except for regular school supplies!
Yeah, but if you want to get into an Ivy League... A really high-ranked private school helps.
that's true. but a really well known public school can do just the same. ;)

besides, i go to a catholic school, and im nearly completely anti-religion.

ooh...i would hate that. that's another reason i'm glad i didn't go to a private school - a lot of them are religious.

religious in a good way....they teach a lot of good moral things

religious in a good way....they teach a lot of good moral things that public schools aren't allowed to teach

You just said the same things twice. *ahem* EDIT button is there for a reason.

And gah... I agree with you Cherry... I couldn't stand a people telling what's right or wrong.

I went to pirvate all my school years even in preschool. I really don't like catholic! Nuns scare me!!!!LOL I like my school now., ,my god they load me with way too much homework! Private is better where I live but the next town over hasgreat schools.

crazy spinster said:
but who's to say what's moral and what isn't?  i couldn't handle being preached to day in and day out.
That's a common misconception. You don't get preached to in most religious schools (or at least Catholic schools). You just learn. Common Catholic school religion courses are:
The Old and New Testament/Bible study. Non-Christians study the Bible too. And it's a scholastic approach: interpretation, sources, writers, etc. No preaching.

World Religions. A study of... world religions, with an unbiased approach.

Church History. A study of the history of the church. No preaching again. Just "the church was founded at this time. Christians were persecuted under this emperor..."

Morals. Now this may be what you're talking about. This is where it may start to get preachy, but it's not. It's meant to give you guidance in life. It may say what is right and wrong, but it gives you a choice of what to believe in. And if you think adultery, killing, and stealing is right, then maybe you need some preaching.

Sacraments and Theology. A study of sacraments.

Catholic Lifestyles and Social Justice. How Catholics live and morals in the world.

(Alot of it could get very boring ;))

And many Catholics schools don't have nuns and monks walking around. My school has a convent, but only one sister teaches. There are about five other Catholic schools that I know of, and they don't have nuns either.

:smiley:

nance said:
Milo47 said:
public school is way better.....the cost is nothing!  except for regular school supplies!

I go to public school though. :D I think I'm glad I'm not private because it's so expensive and I guess I'm not too fond of wearing a uniform everyday although I know my parents would pay for it all. :rolleyes: they're weird... very very weird.
my school doesnt have uniforms :blink:

No Scholarship = No Brearley for me!

Well my mother was pariniod about the HS I got into, so I signed up for practically every kind of school you could think of. I got accepted to everything but no gosh darn scholarships. :( Over 20k just for tuition, and of course they insist on expensive school trips, uniforms, laundering services, and lunch. Most of the the Catholic schools in NY run around 3k-6k a year though. However my mother still didn't like the idea of my whole Brearley campaign since practically everyone that goes there is "Park Avenue Posse." Nor am I Catholic. So more public school for me!

AliasALIAS said:
Public schools depend on where you are. Many public schools in LA are horrible, but there are a number of people who do well. In other areas, public schools can be even better than many private schools. You just have to find the right one.
That makes total sense. I agree with you. It just depends on the school. Some public schools are better than private schools. I have seen that.

nance, not all private schools have uniforms......

AliasALIAS said:
crazy spinster said:
but who's to say what's moral and what isn't?  i couldn't handle being preached to day in and day out.
That's a common misconception. You don't get preached to in most religious schools (or at least Catholic schools). You just learn. Common Catholic school religion courses are:
The Old and New Testament/Bible study. Non-Christians study the Bible too. And it's a scholastic approach: interpretation, sources, writers, etc. No preaching.

World Religions. A study of... world religions, with an unbiased approach.

Church History. A study of the history of the church. No preaching again. Just "the church was founded at this time. Christians were persecuted under this emperor..."
well, i took CCD classes when i was younger (against my will) and from the sound of it, they sound pretty similar. and i hated everything about CCD. so... yeah. ;)

i'm really not into theology much and all those theology classes just seem like overkill (and almost unneccessary, in my opinion). if they were just electives, that would be fine, but if they were required, i would really hate that.

Morals. Now this may be what you're talking about. This is where it may start to get preachy, but it's not. It's meant to give you guidance in life. It may say what is right and wrong, but it gives you a choice of what to believe in. And if you think adultery, killing, and stealing is right, then maybe you need some preaching.

well, obviously public schools are quite adamant about their students not killing or stealing either. that's not really the kind of morals i was talking about. i was talking more about abortion, homosexuality, premarital sex, etc. it's good that you get a choice of what to believe in, but i just don't like being told what's right and wrong. in one of the public high schools in san diego, a teacher lost her job just for advocating her political stances (albeit, somewhat strongly). i don't really agree with such a harsh punishment, but i do agree with the idea: that teachers and education should be neutral. education should be able to give you all the knowledge you need to form your own ideas rather than them just being given to you and being labeled "right" and "wrong."

basically, it's just not the thing for me. i'm quite happy i went to a public school (and a good one too, thankfully). ^_^

VaughnFan13 said:
twinzz2003 said:
SiriCerasi said:
mines a lot... like $20 something thousand... i think... i dunno ^_^
Wow that's more than my parents make in a year!
i'm pretty sure my parents make about or less than that...see the reason why i cant go to private school?
At least I'm not the only one. Haha.

I wouldn't even have a computer if my uncle hadn't given it to me. :D

Back