Puppy Love

Hot, burning fire filled his heart. He’d trusted Sydney, had allowed her into his and Gracie’s life. And Sydney had betrayed him.

Yeah, Sydney had done herself proud. She’d taken what he’d told her in confidence and made a front-page, trashy little story out of it.

He let out a heavy breath. She’d slithered her way in his life, shared a couple of kisses, then figured she could capitalize on knowing him and nab a juicy story.

“Michael is gonna be livid. “Sydney threw the paper on the couch, an uneasy depression pressing on her.

“I love him.”

“Then do something about it. Go to him and tell him what happened.”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea right now. He probably thinks I’m the one who wrote the story, betrayed his trust. Do you actually think he would believe anything I say?”

“How do you know if you don’t give it a chance?” Francie asked.
that has Sydney getting hurt (after listening to Fran) (use your instincts Syd!) written all over it.
thanx for the pm

Way too cute! Even though Syd's boss is an a-hole, she refused to give Michael up. I can't wait to see how the relationship progresses! Thanks for the pm and I can't wait for the next update! ^_^

i bet vaughn is pissed at her!!!!
i hope he listens when she tries to explain that it wasn't her!!
it just sucks that gracie has to be stuck in the middle of all this!
syd needs to listen to francie!!
great chapter!
shelley :blush:

Morning. :P

here are 2 more chapters. Thanks for R & R and talk to you soon. Next update: Monday :smiley: CJ

~Part 19~

Two hours later, after Francie had left, a loud pounding sounded on Sydney’s front door.

Frowning, she went to the door and looked out the peephole. Her stomach dropped.

Michael.

Clutching a newspaper in his hand.

Glaring tawny fire.

Obviously, he’d seen the story about Gracie and was justifiable angry about it.

He shoved the door open.

“Hey!” she stumbled back a step.

He stepped inside and flung the newspaper at her feet. “You just had to write this story, didn’t you?”

She drew in her chin.” Michael…”

“There have been a least eight reporters tailing me all day, salivating for an interview. I told you this would happen , but you went and wrote the stupid thing, anyway.

Darn him. He’d jumped to the no-brainer, off-base conclusion that she’d broken her word and written the story plastered across the front page of the Tribune. Just like Danny, he’d automatically thought the worst of her, never bothering to give her the credit, or trust, she deserved.

“Even though I’ve never given you a reason not to trust me, you’ve already decided that I’m someone who can’t be trusted.”

Her eyes burned, and she looked away and bit her lip, praying she wouldn’t break down in front of him. “Just get out and take your judgmental , untrusting attitude with you. I’ve had enough of it.”

“I thought you were different.”

“I am different, Michael.”

“You’re so damn blind you can see the truth when it’s staring right in front of you.”

He stepped away. “The truth?” He swung a razor-sharp gaze to her. “The truth is you betrayed me. That’s all I see.”

“Yes. That’s all you see, all you know. So I guess there’s nothing more to say.” Goodbye, Michael.”

“Goodbye, Sydney, “he said, his voice oddly soft. He then turned and walked down the cement porch steps without looking back.

The next day Michael did his best to forget what had happened at Sydney’s house and how the sight of the empty, cold side of his bed had bothered him. He ate breakfast with Gracie, read her a story, changed her bandage, then left for the office, determined to immerse himself in his daily routine to get Sydney out of his head.

Frustrated, he called a meeting with his department heads and drilled them relentlessly, trying to get to the bottom of whatever was causing a dip in the sales.

But an image of Sydney, her face sad and full of disappointment, haunted him through the meeting. After he barked some orders, his employees left him alone, and he sat at his desk, staring into space, simply unable to get rid of the crazy thought that he’d somehow made a big mistake.

Her hurt reaction sliced him to the bone because of its compelling nature. Had she been trying to make some sort of point? If so, what was it? What was going on?

He was simply going to see her to clarify things in his mind once and for all. With that aim in mind, he drove too fast to her office, stole another guy’s parking space on the street, parked and made his way to her building. Striding into the lobby of the Tribune, he moved toward the small reception area and smiled at the woman behind the desk.

“I’m here to see Sydney Bristow. Where is her office located?”

“I’m sorry, sir, Sydney Bristow doesn’t work here.”

He frowned. “Yes, she does. She interviewed me for an article.”

“Yes, well, she did work here, but she doesn’t anymore.”

He fell back a step. “Since when? Why doesn’t she work here anymore?”

The young woman shrugged. “I really can say. I was just told to forward all of her calls to another reporter.”

Had Sydney been fired? Or had she quit? His gut instinct told him her leaving hadn’t been voluntarily. She seemed to love her job, and he knew how financially strapped she was.

“Thank you.” he said, racing back to his car.

As he drove back to his office on autopilot, jumbled thoughts and bits of conversation danced through his brain in fast motion for the millionth time.

I am different, Michael. You’re so damn blind you can’t see the truth when it’s staring right at you.

She lost her job. Her hurt-filled eyes.

I’ve never given you a reason not to trust me….

His mind churning, he reached for the edition of the Tribune that he’d flung onto the floor of his car when he’d left Sydney’s yesterday. His brows knitted together, he perused the story. And finally noticed what he’d been too angry to notice before…the byline.

Sydney hadn’t written the story. He almost swerved off the road. Breathing hard, he stomped on the brakes and pulled over, screeching to a stop.

Sydney hadn’t betrayed him. And she’d lost her job because of it. The last piece of the puzzle felt into place.

Thick, heavy remorse settled over him. He felt like he had the word jerk emblazoned on his forehead. And he deserved it. He’d blustered along like a steamroller and hadn’t given Sydney the benefit of the doubt. Worse, when he’d stormed over to her house, there hadn’t even been a scrap of uncertainty in his mind that she was guilty. And she’d more than likely lost her job because of her choice, because she’d kept her word.

He was an absolute fool.

A hollow, cold sadness filled him. Sydney didn’t give her trust easily, either, and he had handed her a huge reason never to trust him again. Regret pressed on his chest like a gigantic vise. His heart froze, radiating shards of ice into every corner of his body.

And, man, surprisingly, it hurt like hell.

TBC

~Part 20~

Sydney replaced the phone in its cradle and shook her head, wondering about her wacky day.

She looked at Francie.” You are absolutely not going to believe what just happened.”

Francie looked up from meticulously applying red nail polish to her right digits. “Do tell.”

“That was Joe. Apparently Michael was chosen favorite bachelor and he wants me to do another follow-up to the “Ultimate Bachelor.”

Francie frowned and blew on her freshly painted nails.” Joe fired you. You don’t work for the Tribune anymore.”

“I know. That’s what so weird. Joe wants to rehire me. Said he was too hasty for firing me and wants me to come back.”

Francie raised a brow.” Are you going to do it?”

Sydney bit her lip. “Well, I should, because I need a job and I need the money.”

“But?”

“I don’t think that I can. I don’t want to use him for another story. Besides, he’ll never agree to talk to me. He thinks I’m a sleaze, remember?”

“But you’re not. You didn’t write the story. Go tell him that. Maybe he’ll agree to help you out. And if all fails, I can ask Will to help you find a job at his magazine.”

No matter what, she needed to see Michael again. She needed to tell him the truth and make him listen whether he likes it or not.

~*~

The next morning, Sydney made her way to Michael’s office. She paused next to Michael’s open office door and took a deep breath, trying to calm her racing heart. A strange sense of déjà vu filled her; she remembered a month ago when she’d come here and she tried to convince him to participate in the original edition of the “Ultimate Bachelor.”

She already negotiated a higher salary and extra perks for returning to the Tribune. She was on a roll. It was time to earn that extra money. Her hands shaking, she smoothed her long-sleeved shirt and skirt, fluffed her hair…why in the world did she care about her hair? And told herself to ignore Michael’s stunning green eyes and stop-her-heart smile.

Feeling better, she stepped into the open doorway. And stopped cold. What she saw made her rethink her idea to come here and ask him to do another interview with her. Michael sat at his desk with Gracie on his lap. The little girl, dressed in a darling pastel sweat outfit, was playing patty cake with him.

Sydney’s heart stalled. Michael had the most contented, ecstatic, love-filled smile on his face as he played with Gracie, it almost took the breath away from her chest. Heavens, what she would give to have him look at her that way, with pure, unadulterated love shining from his eyes.

She was about to turn around and leave when Michael shifted his gaze and looked right at her.

“Sydney!” he said, clearly startled by her sudden appearance. A smile crossed his face, and he looked as if he was actually happy to see her.

Then his smile turned into a frown. “Um. What are you doing here?”

“I need to talk to you.” She said, clearing her throat.

“Hi, Syd-e-ney!” Gracie waved her chubby hand. “Pata-cake?”

“Hi, Gracie!” Yes, I can see you’re playing patty-cake.” Sydney smiled, enthralled by the adorable toddler.

“Is this a good time?” she asked.

“Gracie’s nanny had an appointment, so Gracie here is staying with me for a while. “

“Oh.” Sydney was surprised he was sharing that info with her, since she was a slimy reporter and all…according to him.

“Actually, I’m glad to see you.” He awkwardly leaned forward and cleared his throat. “I’ve been wanting to talk to you, but haven’t…had the time.”

She stared at him. “Really?” she said, trying to mask her total astonishment.

He took Gracie’s hand in his. “Yes, really. But I have to meet Mrs. Smith in a few minutes. Are you free for dinner?”

“Yes, actually I am.”

“Good. I usually have an early dinner with Gracie and put her to bed, so I’ll pick you up at seven-thirty.”

She held up a hand.” I’ll just meet you at the restaurant, okay?”

“Okay. Chez Maurice, at seven-thirty, then?”

“See you then.” She nodded, then turned and walked from his office.

~*~

Sydney waited for Michael at the table chez Maurice, a swanky restaurant in the Pearl District in northwest Portland, trying not to fidget, reminding herself this wasn’t a date.

A second later she spotted Michael walking through the dim lit restaurant toward her, looking absolutely gorgeous in a black suit, dress shirt with the first button undone. He moved with an easy male grace that sent hot chills skittering up and down her spine, radiating heat into her belly.

He arrived at the table and smiled awkwardly, his eyes reflecting something she couldn’t quite identify, something she’d picked up when she’d seen him at his office earlier today. Strange. In the past he’d always seemed to be in such perfect control of his emotions.

“Sydney, “he murmured, unbuttoning his suit jacket. He pulled out his chair and sat down.” Sorry I’m late.”

“No problem.”

He looked at her for a long moment, saying nothing, then he picked up his cut-crystal water glass and drank half of it down.

Alarms went off in her head. Something wasn’t right. He was on edge and nervous, which wasn’t like him at all.

Before she could speak, Michael said, “I owe you a big apology.”

She raised her eyebrows. “You do?”

He reached out and took her trembling fingers in his big, warm hand.

“Yes, I do.” He shook his head and looked down for a moment.

“You didn’t write the story.”

She froze, trying to separate how good his hand felt wrapped around hers from the astonishment crashing through her. She opened her mouth to speak but no sound would come out.

“I can see I’ve caught you by surprise, “he said dryly.

“Uh, well, yes, you have.”

“I know now you would never betray me like that.”

She glared at him, ignoring his eyes sent shivers down her spine.

“Now being the key word. Yesterday was a different story. You were very, very sure I’d deliberately done a hatchet job on you, even though I promised I wouldn’t.”

She took a breath and continued.

“You assumed the worst about me, like most of the people in my life. That hurt.”

“Sydney, please try to understand. I saw the story and was mad and read it without paying much attention. And you were the only one I’d talked to…”He shook his head.

“I still don’t know how the story got out.”

“Remember the janitor mopping the hallway? Apparently, he had very big ears.”

He nodded. “Ah.”

She shifted in her chair. “I gave you my word, Michael. Didn’t that mean anything to you?”

“I…I assumed you had written it, since you came looking for information.”

She pointed a rigid finger at him. “No, what happened was that I was trying to protect you and your family, and you automatically thought the worst.”

He grimaced. “And you lost your job because of that decision, didn’t you?”

“Yes, I did.”

“I was such an idiot, “he said under his breath. “Sydney, I’m sorry I misjudged you. My past makes it difficult for me to trust people.”

“Have I ever given you a reason to doubt my intention?”

He looked down and fiddled with his fork, refusing to meet her gaze for a moment. Then he looked up, pain written all over his face.

“No, no you haven’t. I was way off base, and for that, I’m truly sorry.”

“Sydney, can we start all over again?”

“I don’t know.”

“Please. I know I screwed up. Please let me make it up to you.”

“Michael, if we have even a slight chance to make this work, we need to take things slow. Get to know each other and start trusting one another. If we can’t do that, we don’t have a chance.”

“I’m willing to do anything to have you in my life.”

“Good. Now, will you excuse me, I need to go freshen up.”

Once Sydney was away from the table, she opened her cell phone and left a message on Joe’s answering machine.

“Joe, it’s Sydney. I can’t do the interview with Michael Vaughn. I know what you’re thinking. I may be too weak to be a good reporter but my happiness is too important. You told me a long time ago that you can’t let your emotions run you. Well, when it comes to him, I can’t be anything but personal. I choose to be with him. So thanks for giving me another chance but I can’t do this to him again. I quit.”

TBC

Pm list: Want On or Off, please let me know.

6helterskelter6
Addicted 2 alias
Ae_gurl293
albob
Alias # 1
Alias_chick_47
Aliasfan212
Aliasobsessed89
AliasSydney502
Alwazabrat
Ams4alias
Angel
ASIOagent
Atekamel
Benzmine
Blknight

catfishally
Catpin
cupcake55
Derevkointraining
Fire*N*ice
grassyass
gregstar
Gtwallichs
IheartVaughn
invisible
Jadeygirl
Jen-Jen
KaliasGirl
Kate_14
Kittykatsmeow

Krzykty57789
LittleNicky
Loane
mnkdance963
Nancy o
Nicky_Bristow
Prediction 47
scullymulder1234
Shelley g.
smartgirl2004
Soccer22vartan
Sparklingrainbow
Spychic16
SpygirlAmy
SuperDuck123
SweetiePie

Syd&Vaughn4eva
Sydney_alias_Vaughn
SydneyAnneVaughn
Sydneyvaughn47
SydneyMicheal
Sydofthesea
Tblash423
texasalias2004
tubby
Tunita

Twinkley_angel
ubielecki
Vartan-lova
Vaughnshoney
vaughnsgurl4lf
Wiseman
XMountineer02300844X
Xxaliasluverxx

yay!!! first!!!

man oh man, what an idiot. she lost her damn job because she didn't want to hurt him. glad it dawned on him when he went to her office. men are thick sometimes.

but the pic of him playing with gracie is burned in my brain. :smiley: yum.

thanks for the pm!!!
~tracey

Back