Politics Same-sex Marriages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marriage started in the church and is based on christian traditions. it is hypocritical for christians to say that same sex marriage shouldn't be allowed because they are not practising tolerance or understanding.

What about a different type of marriage (as in, not in a church) for same sex couples - one that is legally binding etc but not based on christian traditions?

Joey said:
[post="1035282"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]

Honestly, I think that's all they're asking for. The right to be married, it doesn't have to be in a chruch. And the right to call it marrige, not a civil union.

SiriCerasi said:
What scares me is that Bush's reaction to gay marriage is based on a religious point of view... seperation of church and state anyone? :confused:
[post="1029208"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
yea c'mon don't base your political opinion on your religious views
cabbage.gif

agnes bean said:
Honestly, I think that's all they're asking for. The right to be married, it doesn't have to be in a chruch. And the right to call it marrige, not a civil union.
[post="1035321"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

i agree, although isn't the term marriage specifically related to the church? of course heterosexual couples dont always marry in a church, but the idea came from the bible, didn't it? or am i being naive?
whatever the case may be, Bush definitely shouldn't let his religious views cloud his judgement for all that he governs, after all he makes decisions for everybody not just those who voted for him.

Joey said:
[post="1035586"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]

Actually, marriage is older than the Bible. You can trace marriage all the way back to Mesopotamia, the earliest known civilization. You can't do that with the bible.

it's not right denying people the chance to live a happy married life as same sex couples, i really don't see the problem with that, everyone should be able to get married

Joey said:
[post="1035586"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]

Kewii said:
Actually, marriage is older than the Bible.  You can trace marriage all the way back to Mesopotamia, the earliest known civilization.  You can't do that with the bible.
[post="1035612"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Right. And also, even if it DID come from the Church, it has envovled into a political/social as well as religious instutution, which is why athiests and non-christians marry.

Actually, God didn't create Adam and Eve or Adam and Steve. Gensis was a story written down by man.

In the future, if you would like to participate in AllAlias discussions, try to leave the immaturity behind.

This is your first -and only- warning.

Joziah said:
GOD CREATED ADAM & EVE NOT ADAM AND STEVE!!!!

It's Not Right!!!
It's Just wrong!!!
[post="1036550"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

we all know that God created Adam and Eve ... but we also know that he gave humanity 10 Commandments to go by in life ... do we go by these "laws of God"???

here they are:

Number 1: Thou Shalt Have No Other Gods Beside Me

Number 2: Thou Shalt Not Worship Any Graven Images

Number 3: Thou Shalt Not Take the Name of the Lord Thy God in Vain (and we keep using over and over again sometimes for nothing)
Number 4: Remember the Sabbath Day to Rest and Keep it Holy (we know sabbath is the Saturday, the 7th day of creation, which God said was Holy, but then everywhere in the world, people are working on saturdays ...)

Number 5: Honor Thy Father and Thy Mother (a lot of people hate their parents)

Number 6: Thou Shalt Not Kill (what about those who kill others ... those who are send to war to fight for their country and kill others)

Number 7: Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery (thats happening still)

Number 8: Thou Shalt Not Steal (again, everywhere they steal, they do fraudulent things to steal companies from their money)

Number 9: Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness

Number 10: Thou Shalt Not Covet Anything That is Thy Neighbor's

and we can go on and on ...

people, humanity does so many things that the Bible says NOT to do ... and just because someone is a homo-sexual, you want to use God's name in vain, saying he created Adam and Eve ...

we are ALL sinners here on earth ... nobody is free from God's punishment ... nor God's will ... whatever you do, He will always watch ... and believe me "everybody has a little dirty secret" that God's knows for sure ... ;)

GOD CREATED ADAM & EVE NOT ADAM AND STEVE!!!!

It's Not Right!!!
It's Just wrong!!!
That quote is getting so old. It seems it's just about the only argument conservatives have these days.

I am amazed that people can be so narrow-minded that they don't know marriage isn't a 'Christian' thing. People in every religion and every culture in the world marry. In a multicultural society, why on Earth should the Christians get to force everybody to follow their beliefs?

Just because it is traditional for a man to marry a woman does not mean that tradition can't change. Our society is always evolving. It used to be traditional for people to only marry within their own race or for women to stay home as housewives, but those traditions changed and so can this one.

Like I said, same sex marriage does not pose a threat to heterosexual marriage.

I don't think that the law should stand in the way of true love. Even if it is the same sex. Who cares???? I sure don't I mean, at least 40% of our population is gay or lesbian, so why tear them apart?

I don't think that the law should stand in the way of true love. Even if it is the same sex. Who cares???? I sure don't I mean, at least 40% of our population is gay or lesbian, so why tear them apart?
I read somewhere else that you have fairly traditional Christian views, so I'm glad to hear you say this.

But the 40% thing is incorrect.

Studies indicate that, contrary to the inaccurate but widely accepted claims of sex researcher Alfred Kinsey, homosexuals comprise between 1 to 3 percent of the population.

I'm just curious how they would do a survey like that :confused: Since so many people don't want to admit to themselves or society that they are gay

i agree, although isn't the term marriage specifically related to the church?
Uh, people in tribes in Asia and Africa marry. People in Ancient societies married. People in India marry.

'Marriage' is 'any close union'. The term can be used when referring to anything, such as cooking or chemistry.

I think a lot of the people who are against gay marriages think 'marriage' belongs solely to Christians. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back