Simutronics: Good?

Was Simutronics more concerned with licensing HeroEngine, or do they really care about getting the game out?

I would think that, at this moment, they were more concerned about licensing the engine. And I'd not blame them at all with that as their number one priority. Their engine is the cash cow here, and the new deal going through they can breathe a sigh of relief knowing it will give them funds to work with for HJ. It beats the alternative of finding out later that the Hero's Journey project has been suspended or cancled do to lack of funding.

And this isn't a bad topic at all. As consumers, and people investing so much of our time into a project, it is very important to discuss the realities of HJ. Heck, take a look at Dragon Empires (the huge MMO Codemasters was getting amazing reviews on). I had just got hired at their US offices in Oakhurst, CA, and not more than 2 weeks later their main site said "We're sorry to inform you that the project that is Dragon Empires has been cancled". And we're not talking about a project that was a couple months in the works. They had their engine, mechanics, screenshots, and the game was nearing beta (closer to beta than HJ is at even). There had been fansites every bit as dedicated as Hero's Hall and around just as long.

So, yes, it is a concern and it is not beyond the realm of possibility for project this far along to up and die. The deal with BioWare is a wonderful sign. Wouldn't you just die if you went to the Hero's Jounrey site and saw something to the likes of this http://www.codemasters.com/dragonempires/

Is simu a good company that will keep their word?? I'd say ya or I would tend to think that way. I've had no thoughts at all that this game wouldn't be released. Look at it this way how many major games that have come out in the past have been delayed for a good amount of time?? Oblivion comes to mind Civ 4 also numerous bioware games I've enjoyed. It happens its part of the gaming industry and we all just get used to it.

Now does pushing the date back hurt them in the long run?? Thats up to interpritation. Yes some of the hardcore most vocal fans tend to leave but in all intensive purposes come back when its released. It is frustrating when a game you follow closely gets delayed but its going to happen so we just grin and bear it.

Like shadow stated in the op it could possibly be do to the fact that they have been trying to license heroblade. Licensing creates money and when a company is building and producing an mmo thats def something they need a lot of.

Let me pose some questions to you all. How many games that you have been following or currently follow have devs that frequent the forums everyday and let you ask them questions on that particular title? Not many for me I have had a few that have done it but not anywhere near the frequency that the gm's do here or on the official website.

Yes every company has its flaws and Simu is no different but from what ive seen and heard it gives me no indication of them not releasing the product we are all hoping for. I guess time will tell whether I'm right or wrong of course.

cordy said:
Let me pose some questions to you all. How many games that you have been following or currently follow have devs that frequent the forums everyday and let you ask them questions on that particular title? Not many for me I have had a few that have done it but not anywhere near the frequency that the gm's do here or on the official website.

I would say that Sigil is almost as adamant about frequenting thier official forums and attempting to answer player questions about Vanguard as Simutronics is about HJ. Their official forums at vanguardsoh.com were my first experience with extremely positive direct player communication with developers about an upcoming title. A lot of times they are just chatting with players about off topic subjects or something, but the level of communication if definetly up there. Its been a while since i visited those forums so things may be different now, however.

One thing I like about the Simu GMs is that they don't mind posting on other sites aside from the official site. I have certainly never seen any developers from any game post as much on a third party site like mmorpg.com as Simu has.

As far as Simu pushing back the release dates, this hasn't hurt my anticipation of the game one bit. Better to have them take their time with the game and push back the release date a couple times than rush into beta/release, which could be quite disaterous. I've played games that released unfinished, and its not a pleasant experience.

I think at this point it would take a major cataclysm to cause HJ to end up as vaporware. Not that it couldn't happen, but I think it would take a major blunder on the part of Simu. I guess i just happen to believe in Simu's "vision" more so than i have the vision of any other developer. I'm a veteran of DR, played since the open beta, and after expereincing how they handled that game throughout the 10 years its been live i can't help but put my faith in Steph and the rest of the team. Steph was one of the main GM's that helped build DR, so i kind of feel a personal connection to her work. I think Simu has all the necessary tools to make HJ the best it can be. Knowledge, experience, and dedication, etc.: its all there.

I guess my attitute may be a little fanboy-ish. I can blame that on DR. Out of all the games i've tried I still feel DR has more replay value than any graphics based MMO on the market. If there was a game that kept you interested for over a decade, a game that kept you coming back time after time, leaving other games behind permanetly, wouldn't you be a little bit of a fanboy too?

Not really ShadowZERO, but I grew up in a prowrestling community and we called folks who have been dubbed fanboys by the internet, marks. Folks who religiously worship their favorite wrestler and allow them to do no wrong. When things like performance should be appriciated more so than history I suppose. Having been around wrestlers critiquing this with everything I've sort of just picked it up. What someone has 'done before' shouldn't give them 'polite looks away' for something they're doing now.
But back on major topic. I've seen the gambit of folks who've tried the Simu games before. Folks who love it, folks who loved it at one point and time, and probably folks like me. After that free trial a couple of times, I didn't see anything worth paying 5 bucks to play. But even in marred opinions it's a valid way to see things from another PoV which is always good.
Shadow's initial questioning on this thread seemed like educated questions to ask.

I do agree with you for the most part Luciro. But at this point, everthing is speculation isn't it? What more do we have to base our opinions on at this point other than what simu has told us thus far, and what they have done in the past? Sure, we have nothing guaranteeing us that the game will be good, or that it will even launch. At the same time though, i don't feel we have anything indicating that it won't do good, or won't launch. In my experiences following mmorpgs, there are always things that don't make it into the launch of the game, and release dates are almost always pushed back. The more ambitious the title the more stuff like this happens. To me there don't seem to be any indicators that HJ will be a failure any more than any other mmorpg currently out or in development.

As mentioned, the lack of news the last few months has mainly been due to the talks with BioWare. Originally, HeroEngine and Hero's Journey were tightly coupled. After several showings at E3, GDC, and other trade shows it became apparent that licensing our engine was something that could benefit both the MMO community and our company.
It was then that we decided there was a need to seperate the two products so that HeroEngine would work seperately from Hero's Journey. Essentially, now Hero's Journey is itself a licensee of HeroEngine. This is definitely a contributing factor to the delays for release.

We also take community feedback and ideas with the design of our game. Several systems and designs are being modified or rewritten based on posts from all of you. While I may not post much, I do read as much as I can.

Hero's Journey isn't going away. With the help of fansites like this one, it helps to keep us developers pushing our abilities to make a fun, exciting and engaging MMORPG for you to play.

Thank you for your support.

Cirakin

I do feel simutronics is a good company. However they do have a rather nasty habit of under estimating development time. (gemstone 3/4, Expect the paladins expansion this summer..... did we say summer.... fall make it fall.... late fall... erm by late fall I mean early winter) However despite that I am a firm believer in giving developers as much time as they need in order to make a good game. Do I think Simu was more worried about selling there engine? Yes, and in my opinion they might have been in dire need of the cash flow. Also I think the rapid change of dates is in part due to the work force (no offense intended to any of the HJ crew by my statement) Much of there world building team is comprised of vaulentary workers. Who despite there dedication to making the game, still need to pay the bills with a full time job.

Overall the pushbacks do worry me a bit. And they do dapen some of my HJ "fire". But over all I still have faith.

cordy said:
Is simu a good company that will keep their word?? I'd say ya or I would tend to think that way. I've had no thoughts at all that this game wouldn't be released. Look at it this way how many major games that have come out in the past have been delayed for a good amount of time?? Oblivion comes to mind Civ 4 also numerous bioware games I've enjoyed. It happens its part of the gaming industry and we all just get used to it.

Now does pushing the date back hurt them in the long run?? Thats up to interpritation. Yes some of the hardcore most vocal fans tend to leave but in all intensive purposes come back when its released. It is frustrating when a game you follow closely gets delayed but its going to happen so we just grin and bear it.

Like shadow stated in the op it could possibly be do to the fact that they have been trying to license heroblade. Licensing creates money and when a company is building and producing an mmo thats def something they need a lot of.

Yes every company has its flaws and Simu is no different but from what ive seen and heard it gives me no indication of them not releasing the product we are all hoping for. I guess time will tell whether I'm right or wrong of course.

I have no problem at all with Simu (as I've greatly enjoyed Gemstone) and I also have no doubt that HJ will be released as a great product. Unlike Codemasters who is a multi million dollar company with many projects and funding, Simu doesn't have anything else in the works that I know of. Hero's Journey is the IT for Simu. HJ is what will sustain them for years to come.

Also, in my opinion, pushing a game release back doesn't show a lack of work, but rather that they care about the quality of their work. I have no problem waiting any length of time for a game if it means a more complete and bug free product. Especially with an MMO where the release of an incomplete product means tons of annoying patches for months to come.

Simutronics: Good? Methinks more Chaotic Neutral. :smiley:

As with every business, the almighty dollar is the number one priority. Fortunately, though, in my many years of experience as a Simu customer, I have learned that that everyone at Simu is passionate about making great games. I am confident that HJ would be released even if none of the developers were paid from here forward (I believe many are already volunteers). If a company like Sony or EA were in charge, I wouldn't be here hoping and wishing and waiting. I have been upset with Simu more than once over the years, but I still say they make the best games on the planet, bar none. I am staying on this roller coaster, with fingers crossed, no matter where it takes us.

Thanks to the multiple HJ staff for replying to this potentially doom and gloom post. I feel much better about topics like this when we get direct, timely feedback like we do. Cheers!

HJ-Cirakin said:
As mentioned, the lack of news the last few months has mainly been due to the talks with BioWare. Originally, HeroEngine and Hero's Journey were tightly coupled. After several showings at E3, GDC, and other trade shows it became apparent that licensing our engine was something that could benefit both the MMO community and our company.
It was then that we decided there was a need to seperate the two products so that HeroEngine would work seperately from Hero's Journey. Essentially, now Hero's Journey is itself a licensee of HeroEngine. This is definitely a contributing factor to the delays for release.

We also take community feedback and ideas with the design of our game. Several systems and designs are being modified or rewritten based on posts from all of you. While I may not post much, I do read as much as I can.

Hero's Journey isn't going away. With the help of fansites like this one, it helps to keep us developers pushing our abilities to make a fun, exciting and engaging MMORPG for you to play.

Thank you for your support.

Cirakin

And there you have it. Along with Div and Sil and whomever else I forgot to mention at HJ Staffland. This is some of the best news that those who've become impatiently pessimistic could've gotten. Also mentioned is the now extablished fact as stated above that:

Several systems and designs are being modified or rewritten based on posts from all of you.

This is pretty important IMHO and quite the surprise. *You* are helping to hopefully make HJ the game everyone will want to play, including yourself. Anyone care to tell me where else are you gonna get that?

Huh? Come on.. tell me

*shuffles feet like pugilist*.

Heck Heros Hall responses form HJ staff are better than dev post on mmorp.com or whatever. Its all the more of a reason for us to try to keep post civil and to remain as constructive and positive as possible in our dealings with topics and one another. Of course common curtiousy should rule out anyways but you know what i mean eh?

So umm..: A TOAST!!!

*swaggers*

To the Unsung Heroes at HJ staff wheresoever ye may post. Thanks in advance for creating, and letting us help to create; OUR next great ADVENTURE!

*raises glass*
*drinks heartily trying to out Ale Frosty*
*falls completely backwards passing out in drunken stupor*:eek:

Doubting a dev team is not a good idea. They are alot like peter pan in a sense. Unless you believe in them with all your heart, they get weak and will eventually die.

Eh I doubt, and through doubt strives perseverance.
But that statement was a canned response. Thank you for smoking.
I'm looking forward to more offical word tho', hopefully soon. Maybe something about, what the company wishes to do to promote role-playing within their persistant lil' world. EH?

But that statement was a canned response.
I apologize if that sounded canned. It was attempt to portray the information, that I can talk about, in a professional manner. I wanted to ensure that there was no ambiguity or misleading statements.

Regarding the promotion of role-playing, what would you like to see?
We do have several things planned. Some things we have released, some we have not. Having strong lore, the ability to customize your character, and RP-centric servers are all planned.

If you have suggestions, please post them.

Thanks,
Cirakin

HJ-Cirakin said:
Regarding the promotion of role-playing, what would you like to see?
I liked the RP award system in DR. A GM gives the player a 1 hour exp boost for good RP they have witnessed. This award can be saved for whenever the player feels they can use it best and multiple ones can be built up for consecutive hours of bonus. The best part though was being able to give an award you received to another player you felt was RPing well. Lets face it, GMs aren't around all the time to see the best stuff we put out. And the player community gets the ability to promote good RP itself.
-----------------------------------------
Oh, and I'm sure this is already in the works since this is Simu and all, but just to be sure, please include lots of animated emotes. But also include at least one free-form emote so we can do things that aren't included in the box. E.g. DR has the SMILE verb which can be used on its own, or with a player written phrase. If I typed: <SMILE widely, revealing rows of jagged, rotten teeth.> it would appear as:
Evran smiles widely, revealing rows of jagged rotten teeth.

Evran said:
I liked the RP award system in DR. A GM gives the player a 1 hour exp boost for good RP they have witnessed. This award can be saved for whenever the player feels they can use it best and multiple ones can be built up for consecutive hours of bonus. The best part though was being able to give an award you received to another player you felt was RPing well. Lets face it, GMs aren't around all the time to see the best stuff we put out. And the player community gets the ability to promote good RP itself.
-----------------------------------------
Oh, and I'm sure this is already in the works since this is Simu and all, but just to be sure, please include lots of animated emotes. But also include at least one free-form emote so we can do things that aren't included in the box. E.g. DR has the SMILE verb which can be used on its own, or with a player written phrase. If I typed: <SMILE widely, revealing rows of jagged, rotten teeth.> it would appear as:
Evran smiles widely, revealing rows of jagged rotten teeth.

It a role playing game, you shouldn't get a reward for role playing, you should be asked to leave if you don't.

What I want for a role playing server.

1. Hide all attribute and skill numbers from the players.
2. No levels based on skill. Your standing in your guild should be based on what you have done with your skills instead of how much skill you have.
3.No global chat. Communication in game should be limited to the range of your voice.
4. No "consent" rule book. The only rule should be no harassment and that would be determined in a subjective manner by the GM on duty.

Evran said:
The best part though was being able to give an award you received to another player you felt was RPing well. Lets face it, GMs aren't around all the time to see the best stuff we put out. And the player community gets the ability to promote good RP itself.

/signed

Sylvado said:
It a role playing game, you shouldn't get a reward for role playing, you should be asked to leave if you don't.
Yes on a RP server that would be fine because it is an integral part of the server. But on the general servers its a bit harsh. I prefer positive reinforcement (i.e. rewards for RPing) as opposed to negative reinforcement (i.e. punishment for not RPing). You get much better results. Call me an optimist.

Sylvado said:

What I want for a role playing server.

1. Hide all attribute and skill numbers from the players.
2. No levels based on skill. Your standing in your guild should be based on what you have done with your skills instead of how much skill you have.
3.No global chat. Communication in game should be limited to the range of your voice.
4. No "consent" rule book. The only rule should be no harassment and that would be determined in a subjective manner by the GM on duty.

Wow, Syl. #1 is way harsh. I don't think I could even play like that. I mean, sure, I like RP as much as the next guy, but. I mean, that would bug the hell out of me. It'd be like seeing a cup teetering on the edge of a table and not being able to move it. *shudder*

#2's ok, though.

#3... Well, some people like it, some don't. *shrug*

#4... What's it even mean? I like to know what the specific rules are, otherwise I'm more likely to break them.

Back