Site Update

I'm sure you do more damage the tighter the circle. Otherwise, what's the point?
I guess it could also be, fewer arrows, less power drain...

Probably that wall of fire thing is the smaller the wall, the less mana it takes or something...

Burian have always been in, they're the equivalent of dwarves. *winks*

As for the graphics, I don't think any of these screenshots or videos do them justice. I do know that there are a lot of features built right into the entire system to utilize resources in a pretty amazing manner, making them look very, very nice but saving resources at the same time. Not sure if I can talk about it, but lots of clever little organizational things, some just little things that ultimately add up over time because they apply to countless in world resources.

To be honest, I'm really impressed with the texturing, the polygon usage, the lighting effects are just gorgeous and easy to work with, and a whole lot else. I say again, I think you have to see it in action to really get the fully effect. In regards to LOTRO, I think one major difference in perception is that the style is quite different, artistically speaking. It seems to resemble Oblivion to a strong degree, which isn't a bad thing at all. I'd love to see more of their stuff for comparison. Curious as to resources usage and related too. Would be fun to compare.

That said, more than the graphical end, which should be robust enough for anyone once they get their hands on it, I'm looking forward to the sheer power of the engine to create a really very immersive and detailed world. Features over flash, I say, and all my initial impressions point to a nice balance between some gorgeous artwork and some very nifty actual game systems. I'll say more when I've seen more.

Addendum: Also, regarding the Arcanum Hunter art, I'm merely speculating, but I imagine she'd be a Hunter in the employ of The Arcanum, one of the three main factions. Likely just concept work, and if implemented, probably an NPC or the like? Certainly not any of the class combinations so far, least in official terminology.

~Dune~

ZOMG updates in my internets!?

This is great. Not so much because I'm particularly thrilled by the screenshots or the the squinty sized movies, but because I'm just glad to see updates coming again.

I'm hoping that this radio silence being broken means that the game is well on its way to becoming a reality. :D

Also: Burian? Was that always a race?
Edit - I guess Burian is a mob type maybe?

No, I think its always been a race. The HJ equivalent of dwarves.

The page is rather broken at the moment, but here's the link to the Burian race page here on Hero's Hall: HEROSHALL.COM

Edit: *cough* I apparently need to read further next time... >.>

First of all: Yay ! :D2

Valendros said:
Screenshot 8 of 10... it's clear why that was chosen - Look at the detail in the rocks on the right. I think that actually is DirectX 10; I'm not sure you can get shadows like that without DX10.

I guess you're speaking of the darker Rocks on the right Side of the Picture. If that's the Case, the "Shadows" there look like Normalmapping to me, which even the Source-Engine (Halflife 2) was capable of - i guess it might even work with DirectX 8. Nice Shadows are found in most of the Pictures though and Shadowing has been shown to be dynamic in the Enginedemos.
Yet, that doesn't give a Hint at DirectX 10 in my Opinion. Unreal Tournament 3 is DirectX 9 after all...

Valendros said:
There's just no comparison... LOTRO DirectX 10 wins hands down.

I wouldn't call it that easy a Win. The Characters of LotRO for example are losing big Time, and we've only seen very few Pictures of what Heros Journey looks like nowadays - and only of a very limited Part of the Gameworld.

First of all: Yay ! :D2

I guess you're speaking of the darker Rocks on the right Side of the Picture. If that's the Case, the "Shadows" there look like Normalmapping to me, which even the Source-Engine (Halflife 2) was capable of - i guess it might even work with DirectX 8. Nice Shadows are found in most of the Pictures though and Shadowing has been shown to be dynamic in the Enginedemos.
Yet, that doesn't give a Hint at DirectX 10 in my Opinion. Unreal Tournament 3 is DirectX 9 after all...

I wouldn't call it that easy a Win. The Characters of LotRO for example are losing big Time, and we've only seen very few Pictures of what Heros Journey looks like nowadays - and only of a very limited Part of the Gameworld.

You seem fairly informed on all of this... but I have to ask: what the heck is up with your random capitalizations? Heh.

Makkah said:
what the heck is up with your random capitalizations?

It's not random - it's german. :D Just like writing "Heros Journey" instead of "Hero's Journey" or "Normalmapping" instead of "normal mapping". I just happen to prefer german Orthography, and using it like this helps to feed my petty Desire for Uniqueness.

FiveMillionTwoHundredFiftySevenThousandTwoHundredTwentyOne

^^
German is fun.

edit: Forums don't like words that long... Poor Germans.

Huh ?
Capitalization within written-together Words is neither something i do nor is it german Orthography... and high Numbers get very long in any Language when they're spelled out - and writing them as several Words would make it hurt even more, i'd say. ...most likely you were just trying to give an Example of where Terms that consist of several Words get nasty when written together, though. In this Case i have to agree a little, but it's very rare in German (outside of Bureaucracy, at least).

On the other Hand, in the Majority of Cases, i do find it clearer to write Terms together. For Instance if you're speaking of "Normalmapping", as opposed to "normal mapping", it's obvious even to someone not familiar with the Term, that you're refering to a special Mappingtechnique. "Normal mapping" in two Words could just as well be "standard mapping"...

Ok. Now the Thread is derailed enough. :smiley:

Seeing those LOTRO pics kind of made me sad. Do you think HJ's graphics will be outdated when they finally release it?

They've updated the graphics before (if you've ever seen some really early video of what they had), I'm sure if the graphics get too out of date, they can do it again.

They've updated the graphics before (if you've ever seen some really early video of what they had), I'm sure if the graphics get too out of date, they can do it again.

..and they´ll never get out of the evil development cycle..

Btw, why isn't the frontpage of Hero's Hall updated? (about these HJ-news)

I guess I fail to see how impressive LOTRO looks. It's a pretty game, I played it for a while. Nothing memorable though. Some of the linked screen shots look pretty nappy to me, in fact.`

Like someone else said, having a nice water shader doesn't make your game anymore fun. Makes a pretty screen cap though, but who cares? I see lots of cars on the streets with racing stickers and ricer wings and my goat still tromps the living felgercarb out of them :smiley: Which everyone reminds me, looks like a grand prix. She's got it where it counts, though. Which at the end of the day, I feel is more important.

Anyway, I have never been a stickler on graphics or looks. I could really care less. If it looks like a duck and acts like a duck, it's probably not a cow. Know what I mean? I'm the kind of guy who would be happy with a yellow square and 2 orangey circles beneath it. As long as I know where to point my gun/sword/weaponOfDestruction, I'm pretty content.

And sadly, I still prefer text-based gemstone to a lot of graphical MMOs out anyway.

That said, the graphics in HJ are comfortably above average IMHO. Then again this is coming from a guy who pretty much only sees text while in the HJ environment anyway. I still haven't ventured around to see all the pretty areas all these talent folks have put together.

I guess I'm just a reclusive grump like that, though.

Why wouldn't you venture out and run around in the game for a while?

If I became a GM, the first day would be me running around getting a feel for the game LOL. And I'd venture out & even decimate some mobs or something anytime I was stumped for ideas.

Not seeing the game is a travesty IMHO.

At any rate, It's true that great graphics, a great game does not make. But they sure are pretty to look at. I'd rather play an immersive game with sub-par graphics, but I'm not the typical gamer. I play GS currently and I'm very happy (Plat is almost a completely different game than Prime BTW).

A WOW gamer type is going to want some good graphics. Also my only reason for bringing up the graphics to begin with is that when I first saw HJ, it was the top 5% of MMO in terms of graphics, now it's easily somewhere around the 60th percentile. Wait any longer and it's going to be AC.

P.S. The post right above this one just said to us that the game is coming out in September of this year... watch that will ya, we'll get the wrong idea. HEROSHALL.COM

Back