Politics the death penalty

Natalia said:
So, does this 'eye for an eye' concept apply to everything? If somebody steals your car, does that mean you are entitled to steal theirs? If somebody rapes you, should you rape them in return? If somebody breaks something of yours, are you entitled to break something of theirs?

Doesn't that just make you as bad as the other person?

I just can't comprehend the death penalty. It seems a very backwards idea for a country that likes to think of itself as being progressive.
[post="997100"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I agree, once you believe you should get back what is yours then you become as bad as the person who hurt you. My friend made a joke about cable (since he works at a cable company as an installer) he said, "Ya man I took you ladder since someone took my ladder." "why'd you take mine?" "well no one is really a theif here, everyone is just trying to get back their stuff and there is only one real thief." It's like borrowing a car and the never ending can I borrow you car cycle. Yes it's much different when applied to the death penalty but it has the same jist.

If you were an innocent person and you were gonna be sent to the death row would you really be saying that I agree with the death penalty? or would you be kicking and screaming because you were an innocent person. Ya the innocent person only comes along once in a while...but what if they have a family, a wife? then because he did nothing wrong, he died. Somethings just don't seem right and to me the death penalty is wrong.

It's irreversible. 25 people have been wrongfully executed since the start of this century alone. Anything that involved even one error like this is unacceptable.

I wonder how many lives have been saved by executing murders who could possibly escape and kill more. I bet its more than 25.

Given the situation someone is gonna die innocent or not if someone is set up or not. Yes I don't want murderers on the street that's what jails are for. I really don't think people should die because of the fact they murdered someone. It makes it look like they got off easy because most people who are murderers are in pain, depressed, or psycho. Killing them allows them to get what they want. I know that I would rather die than spending hlaf or 1/4 my life in a jail cell, everyone and everything different, people judging you, i wouldn't be able to stand it. Ya maybe I wouldn't want to die but I sure wouldn't want to go to jail :nonono: its punishment enough in my opinion.

Well Jail is more or less for a punishment for common citizens too. It costs a HUGE amount of money just to build a jail cell and even more to keep a prisoner for the rest of their natural life. Believe it or not, they can probably live a pretty long life in a jail.

Also, like Vaughn once said. "Believe it or not, there are some incredibly nice jails in this country" Jail prisoners gets food, cable TV, place where they can exercise. The only thing that they dont' have is the freedom that most people take granted for. It's really not that bad living in a jail. You dont' even have to worry about losing your job if you even work at all for your living! :lol:

As to the "eye to the eye" theory. Yes, I think it can be applied to everything. If you steal someone's car. that person has the right, (IMO) to steal it back, or steal your car. They dont' necessarily HAVE to, but they could. I think death penalty should be something that the victim's family can apply for. It should be evaluated before actually taken into action. For example, if you're innocent, then you wouldn't go say "oh i'm guilty of killing blah blah blah" Instead you would said i'm innocent. However there are people who does plead guilty to murder then in that case hm... lemme think. They're murderers, they admit to be murderers, so why keep them alive?

--Mandy :angelic:

mystery_chick said:
Death Penalty pros and cons
I am for the death penalty mainly because i do believe in an eye for an eye. -_-
[post="996795"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

you know, there's this man that i've heard of, his name is...ghandi. he said "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

my school is putting on the play Dead Man Walking. we're also scheduling the sister who wrote it to speak at our school and also for a man who lost 19 years of his life on Death Row to find out that he was innocent all along. the ironic thing is that he's not even bitter about it. he is so above it all that he's learn to let it go and move on with his life. who are we to kill those who are killers? that makes us as bad as they are.

the_alliance said:
you know, there's this man that i've heard of, his name is...ghandi. he said "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

my school is putting on the play Dead Man Walking. we're also scheduling the sister who wrote it to speak at our school and also for a man who lost 19 years of his life on Death Row to find out that he was innocent all along. the ironic thing is that he's not even bitter about it. he is so above it all that he's learn to let it go and move on with his life. who are we to kill those who are killers? that makes us as bad as they are.
[post="997774"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I agree, be above the murderer and not stoop down to his place.

As to the "eye to the eye" theory. Yes, I think it can be applied to everything. If you steal someone's car. that person has the right, (IMO) to steal it back, or steal your car. They dont' necessarily HAVE to, but they could.

Wow. That is so bizarre I don't even know how to argue with it. What's the point in having laws of any sort? Let's just do whatever we want.

Maybe I'll just put it down to 'cultural differences'. :smiley:

Natalia said:
Wow. That is so bizarre I don't even know how to argue with it. What's the point in having laws of any sort? Let's just do whatever we want.

Maybe I'll just put it down to 'cultural differences'. :smiley:
[post="998021"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:lol: I dont' mean to ACTUALLY go break the car or whatever, but as citizens you have to abide with the law. Of course sometimes what the court decides could be above the law...

Actually you don't have a right to steal another person's properties even if they steal yours. Then not only will he/she go to jail, so will you. It's material possessions, things that can be replaced. Just because someone goes out and steals your car you don't truly have the right to steal their car. You have the right to go to the cops and put in a request to find your car and that it has been stolen.

The "eye for an eye" concept is crooked and slanted in my opinion. If someone does that to you and you think that they were doing something wrong, you do it back to them, you are just as wrong. No one has a right to steal from another person if the person was not given the right or privelige to use it.

But really though it is a view of an eye for an eye we are talking about death and death and murders differ. I know if I lost someone I would be wishing he were dead. But I would rather make him/her suffer. I think maybe prison isn't a good enough punishment, but I wouldn't want to see them get off with death. Truly death would be a gift if it meant spending over 50 years in jail. Waking up and seeing and doing the same thing everyday.

I am against the death penalty. I abhor murder in any sense, and there is no exception to my belief for state sponsored murder. Despite what some people believe, jail is in most cases a horrible place (I wonder if some people's views would change after spending just a week in one) and as a person, living the rest of your life in a cell and dealing with the prison culture is a more frightening thing to me than death.

115 people have been released from Death row since reliable DNA testing has been used in cases on appeal that were tried prior to DNA test availablity. 115! that means 115 juries were wrong! 1380 jurors made a wrong decision based on evidence that turned out to be misleading! Think about how easy it to make a mistake when someones life is in the balance.

a good resource on DP stats is deathpenaltyinfo.org

Actually you don't have a right to steal another person's properties even if they steal yours. Then not only will he/she go to jail, so will you. It's material possessions, things that can be replaced. Just because someone goes out and steals your car you don't truly have the right to steal their car. You have the right to go to the cops and put in a request to find your car and that it has been stolen.

if you "steal" your car back from someone who stole it from you, you wouldn't go to jail. it's your car. you own it. you have the right to have it.

m-c

acting_chica said:
if you "steal" your car back from someone who stole it from you, you wouldn't go to jail.  it's your car.  you own it.  you have the right to have it.

m-c
[post="999160"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
No, what she was also and what i was saying was you don't have the right to steal "their" car.

Alias_Addict47 said:
No, what she was also and what i was saying was you don't have the right to steal "their" car.
[post="999194"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Actually, you do, because it was yours before they stole it. :rolleyes: At least that's how I look at it.

I think it makes you as bad as the person if you kill her because she /he was a criminal and I don't want to know how many innocent people have already been murdered by the death penalty.
We discussed that in our english lessons last year and the be honest, I think it's really backwards of the USA to still use it in some states. Over countries like germany had the death panalty but found out how stupid that is and how many mistakes can happen and abolished it. But some states in the USA reintroduced it, which was the stupiest thing poeple could do.

if you "steal" your car back from someone who stole it from you, you wouldn't go to jail. it's your car. you own it. you have the right to have it.
What I meant wasn't that you go and get your things back! :lol: :lol:

I was illustrating the point that just because something was stolen from you, that doesn't give you the right to commit a crime too. Breaking the law is breaking the law.

Natalia said:
What I meant wasn't that you go and get your things back! :lol:  :lol:

I was illustrating the point that just because something was stolen from you, that doesn't give you the right to commit a crime too. Breaking the law is breaking the law.
[post="1008364"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
But, sadly, the death penalty is not breaking the law. It is the law.

But I also agree with the saying "Why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?"

It isn't where I live. And I think we are a better society because of it. Nobody has the right to take another person's life. It makes them no better than the person they are punishing.

Back