Politics the death penalty

We had the death penalty in germany many years ago, we abolished it before the USA did.Did other countries have the death penalty ,too ??? i think Japan or China still have it, too, aren't they?

Here are all the countries that still have the death penalty.

Notice that the US is the only Western nation that still uses the death penalty for ordinary crimes. Maybe it's time something was done about that. ;)

2. Abolitionist for ordinary crimes only

Countries whose laws provide for the death penalty only for exceptional crimes such as crimes under military law or crimes committed in exceptional circumstances

ALBANIA, ARGENTINA, ARMENIA, BOLIVIA, BRAZIL, CHILE, COOK ISLANDS, EL SALVADOR, FIJI, GREECE, ISRAEL, LATVIA, MEXICO, PERU, TURKEY

3. Abolitionist in practice

Countries which retain the death penalty for ordinary crimes such as murder but can be considered abolitionist in practice in that they have not executed anyone during the past 10 years and are believed to have a policy or established practice of not carrying out executions. The list also includes countries which have made an international commitment not to use the death penalty

ALGERIA, BENIN, BRUNEI DARUSSALAM, BURKINA FASO, CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC, CONGO (Republic), GAMBIA, GRENADA, KENYA, MADAGASCAR, MALDIVES, MALI, MAURITANIA, NAURU, NIGER, PAPUA NEW GUINEA, RUSSIAN FEDERATION, SENEGAL, SRI LANKA, SURINAME, TOGO, TONGA, TUNISIA

4. Retentionist

Countries and territories which retain the death penalty for ordinary crimes

AFGHANISTAN, ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA, BAHAMAS, BAHRAIN, BANGLADESH, BARBADOS, BELARUS, BELIZE, BOTSWANA, BURUNDI, CAMEROON, CHAD, CHINA, COMOROS, CONGO (Democratic Republic), CUBA, DOMINICA, EGYPT, EQUATORIAL GUINEA, ERITREA, ETHIOPIA, GABON, GHANA, GUATEMALA, GUINEA, GUYANA, INDIA, INDONESIA, IRAN, IRAQ, JAMAICA, JAPAN, JORDAN, KAZAKSTAN, KOREA (North), KOREA (South), KUWAIT, KYRGYZSTAN, LAOS, LEBANON, LESOTHO, LIBERIA, LIBYA, MALAWI, MALAYSIA, MONGOLIA, MOROCCO, MYANMAR, NIGERIA, OMAN, PAKISTAN, PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY, PHILIPPINES, QATAR, RWANDA, SAINT CHRISTOPHER & NEVIS, SAINT LUCIA, SAINT VINCENT & GRENADINES, SAUDI ARABIA, SIERRA LEONE, SINGAPORE, SOMALIA, SUDAN, SWAZILAND, SYRIA, TAIWAN, TAJIKISTAN, TANZANIA, THAILAND, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO, UGANDA, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, UZBEKISTAN, VIET NAM, YEMEN, ZAMBIA, ZIMBABWE

Charlie said:
But, sadly, the death penalty is not breaking the law. It is the law.

But I also agree with the saying "Why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?"
[post="1009038"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
God that sounding like a tongue twisting sentence :lol: :lol: But I agree. What makes you different than the killer if you kill the killer who killed someone and death is his punishment. Wow that is tongue twisting! But that makes you no different exceppt for your had his sentenced to death because he murdered someone, But aren't you taking another human beings life as well?

QUOTE(Charlie @ Sep 25 2004, 08:06 PM)
But, sadly, the death penalty is not breaking the law. It is the law.

But I also agree with the saying "Why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?"

God that sounding like a tongue twisting sentence  But I agree. What makes you different than the killer if you kill the killer who killed someone and death is his punishment. Wow that is tongue twisting! But that makes you no different exceppt for your had his sentenced to death because he murdered someone, But aren't you taking another human beings life as well?
That's a nice way of putting it. Like I said before, because I grew up in a society where there is no death penalty, it is almost impossible for me to comprehend why anybody could support it. Especially as the US is still in the category of "Countries and territories which retain the death penalty for ordinary crimes" (and, like I said, the ONLY Western nation that is). ORDINARY CRIMES?

"Why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?"

I don't think we have the death penalty to show it is wrong. I think it is to eliminate harmful people.

Also with todays technology hasn't almost eliminated the possablity of an innocent person being put to death?

It depends on what you think is harmful. It's wrong.

Lets pretend for a second that you murdered someone. Then the father of that person you killed, murdered you. How is that different than the death penalty?

Hmm ...
Controversial topic!
I must admit I have a split mind in that respect!
We (the Germans) don´t have "that kind of punishment" (thank God)!
I never was in favor of giving other people the "chance" to decide about other peoples lifes but on the other hand that´s nothing other that the criminal does by killing others!
After I saw "Dead Man Walking" I was fully and totally against it!
But now I have my doubts, what if I would lost a relative or friend by an act of violence done by another people?
And how important are someone´s living- circumstances, do they have a greater affect on someone! If yes, who is to blame?
So you see, I don´t really know! But I tend to the cons- direction, maybe it´s my european- mind! (No offence to others!)

Muse

Natalia said:
That's a nice way of putting it. Like I said before, because I grew up in a society where there is no death penalty, it is almost impossible for me to comprehend why anybody could support it. Especially as the US is still in the category of "Countries and territories which retain the death penalty for ordinary crimes" (and, like I said, the ONLY Western nation that is). ORDINARY CRIMES?
[post="1011503"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
That's what I'm saying...

People who take my words into something I wasn't saying :D

And ya most innocent people don't slip through, but there are things that could happen. Most people with things stacked against them keep fighting, like the Scott/Lacy Peterson case. It's an ongoing thing, I think he killed her ya but what if the evidence was stacked against him and he was found guilty, he never was guilty. To find the real truth your'd have to use a lie detector (i think they should...that's the easy way to know for sure :lol: )

But a lied detector isn't 100% sure, too. You can never find out the real truth without evidence. You could use the lie detector as a second source of evidence, but not only this kind of investigation.

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>I don't think the death penalty's right, death just makes us as bad as criminal, they were bad because they inflicted the worst fate on someone death (the end of their existence, consciousness) and to do it too them makes us no better! -_- </span>

doesn't there exist this little law, which says, everybody has the right to live???? Or did you already abolish that in the USA???? I don't want to hurt the american people, but the death penalty is the opposite of what the human rights are saying.

Tanja87 said:
doesn't there exist this little law, which says, everybody has the right to live???? Or did you already abolish that in the USA???? I don't want to hurt the american people, but the death penalty  is the opposite of what the  human rights are saying.
[post="1024729"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

AMEN! the death penalty costs MORE than keeping them in jail.

Tanja87 said:
Really? I thought it would be more expensive to keep them in jail, because a  death injection costs only 86 $.......
[post="1025953"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Nope. It is WAY more expensive to put someone to death becasue of all the appeals and paperwork involved.

Back