Politics the death penalty

AliasHombre said:
The death penalty is not just a punishment, rather, it safeguards society moreso than imprisonment.
[post="1053583"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

If it safeguards society, then why does the US have a higher murder rate than countries without the death penalty?

AliasHombre said:
The death penalty is not just a punishment, rather, it safeguards society moreso than imprisonment.
[post="1053583"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I totally disagree, under no circumstances can we justify killing anyone , even if they have killed thousands, if we kill them we will be just as bad as them.
In fact I am so strongly against the death penalty that if someone was about to kill me and I had to kill them or die I would die, as I couldnt live with myself for killing someone else. No matter how justifiable. I am not religious, but I do think that we shouldnt sentence people to death, we all do things wrong, it is not our decision.

people do terrible things, lets not make ourselves one of them by creating a terrible thing.
so there!!! lol
:angelic: :angry:

ms.katejones said:
If it safeguards society, then why does the US have a higher murder rate than countries without the death penalty?
[post="1053625"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Because more people do it, but those who are executed don't have the chance to hurt society again.

That statements seems to allude that the death penalty is what causes a higher murder rate. you can't say that that is what causes it because there are a lot of factors that could make our murder rate higher

UncoveringAlias said:
That statements seems to allude that the death penalty is what causes a higher murder rate. you can't say that that is what causes it because there are a lot of factors that could make our murder rate higher
[post="1053922"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I just meant that the death penalty doesn't make society any safer, not that it causes more crime. If it kept us safer, you would think there would be fewer murders, but that isn't the case.

No, it alludes to the fact that clearly other countries have better ways of dealing with things.

Like I said before, I don't understand how anyone can justify the death penalty. The US is the last Western country to abolish it. Obviously other people have found a better way, and don't have murderers running around the streets.

Just because other countries have found 'better' ways to deal with it doesn't mean we are wrong. It's just other countries' way, not ours.

UncoveringAlias said:
Just because other countries have found 'better' ways to deal with it doesn't mean we are wrong. It's just other countries' way, not ours.
[post="1054832"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

no that is not the case, its not a good way to deal with murderers, I base my morals on reform not punishment. We are m=not one to judge another person. Nothing justifys taking a life you are making yourself as bad as that person (well maybe not as bad but bringing your self down to their lever)
nothing justifies murder. full stop.
And I am not religious, it's just my belief. :angry:

UncoveringAlias said:
To each his/her own (gotta add the /her to be PC!!!)
[post="1054886"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

yeh everything is pc nowadays, i hate it , but in the death penalty debate, we'll agree to disagree, ok? (y)

UncoveringAlias said:
To each his/her own (gotta add the /her to be PC!!!)
[post="1054886"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
"To each his own" is a direct quote from the Communist Manifesto. Where does it belong in American policy?

Wow, I can't believe I've never seen this thread...interesting conversation going on here...

Anyway, I just recently, within the past year, changed my mind on this subject and I'm against the death penalty, but probably not for the more traditional reason. I have no problem with the idea of a death penalthy if our legal system was infallible, which it's not, btw...there's nothing scarier to me that killing an individual, and then finding out 5 years later that they didn't even commit the crime...

I also don't believe that it has any deterrent utility at all; I know that some people think that it does, but I think it's purely punitive...it's the idea of taking their life b/c they took someone else's. Again, I think that's right and fair if we had a system where we knew in each case that 100% of the time we were correct...unfortunately, our criminal system still has too many kinks in it for me to support the death penalty...

tippinlover said:
Wow, I can't believe I've never seen this thread...interesting conversation going on here...

Anyway, I just recently, within the past year, changed my mind on this subject and I'm against the death penalty, but probably not for the more traditional reason.  I have no problem with the idea of a death penalthy if our legal system was infallible, which it's not, btw...there's nothing scarier to me that killing an individual, and then finding out 5 years later that they didn't even commit the crime...

I also don't believe that it has any deterrent utility at all; I know that some people think that it does, but I think it's purely punitive...it's the idea of taking their life b/c they took someone else's.  Again, I think that's right and fair if we had a system where we knew in each case that 100% of the time we were correct...unfortunately, our criminal system still has too many kinks in it for me to support the death penalty...
[post="1055188"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Well said! That's what I think.

Especially with the amount of people being forced into confessing to crimes they didn't commit...

Back