Politics Abstinence Course Faulty

sugababyboo

mrs. charlie
The "be prepared to die" line is classic. I got this from the washington times website

Abstinence courses faulty, report says

By Cheryl Wetzstein
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published June 7, 2005

Ohio abstinence-education programs contain false information and disregard the needs of sexually active or homosexual youths, according to a new report from a public health professor.
One abstinence program, for example, tells teens they should "be prepared to die" if they use condoms because the contraceptives are likely to slip off or break, Scott Frank, a professor at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, said in a report released yesterday.
However, "an authoritative study" by Consumer Reports magazine found that "with correct use," condoms break as little as 2 percent of the time and slip off as little as 1 percent of the time, said Dr. Frank, a family physician who directs the university's public health division.
Abstinence-until-marriage programs also fail to provide information needed by youths who are sexually active and homosexual youths, Dr. Frank said.
Abstinence is an important part of sex education, he added, but the federal definitions for abstinence education too often "tie the hands of educators."
Congress should consider broadening the definitions so federal funds can be used to meet "a full range of teen needs," he said, adding that abstinence curricula should be reviewed by experts and abstinence teachers should be credentialed in sexual and reproductive health.
Abstinence supporter Libby Gray said the Case report was "another veiled attempt" to steer schools and communities back to failed sex-education programs.
Project Reality and other abstinence programs give teens medically accurate information about disease and pregnancy, and teach refusal skills and life skills -- not "condom skills," said Miss Gray, who directs Project Reality in Glenview, Ill.
The Case report is, itself, "riddled" with inaccuracies about abstinence programs, said Catherine Tijerina, executive director of the Ridge Project, which oversees abstinence education in 11 Ohio counties.
Dr. Frank's suggestions that abstinence education doesn't work or that teens are denied contraceptive-style sex education are untrue, she said. Research shows that teen birthrates are falling more because of sexual abstinence than contraceptive use, she said.
But others are applauding Dr. Frank's work.
Dr. Frank's report "provides yet more evidence to Congress that the [Bush] administration is failing miserably on oversight of these [abstinence] programs," said Bill Smith, public policy leader of the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States, which supports comprehensive sex education.
Later this week, Mr. Smith said, a congressional committee led by Rep. Ralph Regula, Ohio Republican, is slated to consider new federal funding for abstinence education. Mr. Regula and his colleagues "have an incredible opportunity to send a clear message of 'no new money'" for abstinence programs, he said.

yay conservatives! way to twist the facts.

as usual, good intentions, bad methods. why is that always what it boils down to with Republicans? well, Democrats do that too...ok, re-phrase question: why is it that more often than not, good intentions are carried out by bad methods in both "sides of the spectrum"?

but back to the topic, it's a scientific fact that abstinence is the best method to prevent the spread of STDs. well of course it is...am i rambling?

Of course abstinence is the best way to not get pregnant and not contract a STD. Let's be real, teenagers are having sex and this isn't the 1950's anymore where scare tactics work. The angry nun (yes, there was one because my teacher who is well into his mid fifties told me so) waging her finger saying "Don't have sex or ELSE!" isn't effective as once was. The least we could do is educate them about contraceptives.

The "Be prepared to die" line is real because I have viewed a Bush approved tape promoting abstinence. The "educator" in the film is a woman in her 50's and she ia asked by a teenage boy "What if I end up having sex before I get married?" The woman replied in a threatening tone of voice while wearing a deadpan expression she said "Then be prepared to die!" Then, she goes on to explain how using a condom is like playing Russian Roulette with your life.

Itz tha Dreila said:
President Bush is basically promoting pregnancy and STDs.
[post="1374231"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I'm not a fan of his, but I will say that pushing abstinence is not a realistic way to fight STDs, AIDS/HIV and unwanted pregnancy. There are a lot of people in this world that are sexually active who are not married and they're perfectly fine. They're happy, healthy and they're living meaning that they're using contraceptives. And, despite what these educators are saying, contraceptives do work.

Things have changed! Today, it's either don't have sex but if you are protect yourself and use a condomn. It's not rocket science. ;)

I did a major study on sex education for psychology at university. I have never found research to support the conservative claim that teaching abstinence is a good thing. And I've read a lot of research from all different countries and cultures.

Teaching abstinence only leads to ignorance, more STDs and and more teen pregnancies. Like it or not, teenagers are going to have sex no matter what you do.

sugababyboo said:
I'm not a fan of his, but I will say that pushing abstinence is not a realistic way to fight STDs, AIDS/HIV and unwanted pregnancy.  There are a lot of people in this world that are sexually active who are not married and they're perfectly fine.  They're happy, healthy and they're living meaning that they're using contraceptives.  And, despite what these educators are saying, contraceptives do work.

Things have changed!  Today, it's either don't have sex but if you are protect yourself and use a condomn.  It's not rocket science. ;)
[post="1374322"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, North Carolina is a place that almost exclusively teaches abstience only in the vast majority of it's schools. We weren't allowed to talk about any form of contraceptives in my health classes. Yet we have the 8th highest teen pregnancy rate in the entire country. Obviously abstinence only teaching isn't helping at all.

Natalia said:
I did a major study on sex education for psychology at university. I have never found research to support the conservative claim that teaching abstinence is a good thing. And I've read a lot of research from all different countries and cultures.

Teaching abstinence only leads to ignorance, more STDs and and more teen pregnancies. Like it or not, teenagers are going to have sex no matter what you do.
[post="1374328"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I did a bit of research into this topic for my adolescent psych class. I focused only on the US (since it was a fairly small research paper). However, I found exactly what you did.

Plus... uh... STDs can occur when married, too.

Existentialist said:
I did a bit of research into this topic for my adolescent psych class. I focused only on the US (since it was a fairly small research paper). However, I found exactly what you did.

[post="1374354"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yes, STDs can occur to married couples or mongamous couples too. Believe it or not people do cheat on their partners without telling them and could have an STD without even knowing it. They could be carrier of the disease and pass it onto their partner.
I just wanted to add that STDs can be contracted through touching, oral, anal and of course vaginal sex as well.

Existentialist said:

And, further, married couples need to know about contraception and other things too.

Interestingly, America has a much higher teen birthrate than countries like Australia - where sex education is a crucial part of primary and high school education.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, North Carolina is a place that almost exclusively teaches abstience only in the vast majority of it's schools. We weren't allowed to talk about any form of contraceptives in my health classes. Yet we have the 8th highest teen pregnancy rate in the entire country. Obviously abstinence only teaching isn't helping at all.

I go to a Catholic school and we were taught both abstenice and contracpetion. However the area it is in has the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Northern Europe. So maybe its the quality of teaching that i important.

noggi16 said:
I go to a Catholic school and we were taught both abstinenice and contracpetion. However the area it is in has the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Northern Europe. So maybe its the quality of teaching that i important.
[post="1374661"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

It doesn't help that the abstinence educators are giving false information about contrceptives either.

Boy-"What would happen to me if I had sex before I got married?"

Educator-"Then be prepared to DIE!"

Educator-"Using a condomn is like playing Russian Roulette with your life!"

Even if a teenager is well educated about contraceptives he or she could choose not to use them during sex. In that case, it is not the educator's fault but the teenager's. There are still teenage boys and men who use the withdrawal method convincing their girlfriend that they cannot get pregnant even though they can! Some girls are naive enough to believe their boyfriends.

Some men put a condomn on improperly which can result in pregnancy and yes, some men do it purposely. Or some of them act as if the condomn doesn't fit or they don't know how to put it on much like OJ Simpson putting on the infamous black glove and sometimes their girlfriends will believe them. A guy could use every excuse/lie in the book to get a girl to have unprotected sex with him. Let's not forget that during sex, the condomn can break.

the_alliance said:
i know that in public schools, both abstinence and contraception are taught. what i dont understand is why teenagers just cant control themselves.
[post="1375105"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Hormones and the fact love, desire and infatuation are very powerful feelings. For some, it is hard to not give into those feelings/temptation.

the_alliance said:
i know that in public schools, both abstinence and contraception are taught. what i dont understand is why teenagers just cant control themselves.
[post="1375105"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I guess you mean your area, because that's certainly not the case country wide. In fact the Bush administration is only giving funding to programs that teach an abstience only based program.

I remember a few years ago someone wrote an article being pro-abstinence and they gave a website that had ten reason to wait. All the reason were excerpts from the bibel! How about those don't believe in that book? I can name some reason to not have sex immediately.

1. Unwanted pregnancy.

2. The emotional impact of having an abortion.

3. The emotional impact of adoption.

4. AIDS/HIV

5. STDs

6. The emotional aspect of sex, because it does changes and complicate things.

7. How about being in love??

8. Self-respect and self-esteem.

9. The responsibiilty that comes with using contraceptives.

10. The responsibilty of becoming a young mother and in some cases a father.

That's ten reasons right there that are not linked to any specific religion.

Existentialist said:

lol very true..In one of my schoolbooks (science), it was talking about types of viruses, and did a section on STDs. It said that in order to prevent STD transmission, people should use condoms or abstain from sex until marriage. I was like, "right, marriage makes you immune to STDs, huh?" :lol:

That thing about the "Prepare to die" reminds me of the movie Mean Girls a ton.

Gym/Health Teacher : At your age, you're gonna be having a lot of urges. You're gonna wanna take off your clothes, and touch eachother. But if you do touch eachother you will get pregnant. And die.

June 13, 2005

This is the mother of all failures
Mary Kenny
Teenage pregnancy goes on rising — and the new sex guide will do nothing to help

JUST OVER five years ago I interviewed at length 25 young women who had been pregnant under the age of 15. Some had been pregnant at 13, and several sexually active since the age of 11.

Only one said that she had inadequate sex education. The rest claimed that they “knew all about it” by puberty. Some, still in their teens, were extremely knowing indeed.

One young woman of 16 — the mother of two babies — said that she had been instructed in the use of a condom, at the age of 11, in school. The teacher had demonstrated how to use the contraceptive by fitting it on to a banana. There had been explanations about the dangers of condoms splitting, or other mishaps in the contraceptive’s application.

Some girls were also confidently familiar about other forms of sexual activity, and talked easily in sexually explicit terms. They had taken on the spirit of the age: sex is no big deal.

And yet, those interviewed in their twenties were coming to reflect that the consequences of sex can be a “big deal”, especially for women. Society is not now supposed to have double standards in sexual matters: but Nature still has. Sexual activity will always result in some pregnancies, because nature, not rational planning, is in control.

The young mother who had airily said that the teacher had told her all about condoms nevertheless became pregnant at 13. Why? “Dunno. Couldn’t be bothered, maybe.” Alcohol also played its part in many cases of “couldn’t be bothered”.

There are many factors behind the statistic of Britain’s exceptionally high rate of teenage and under-age pregnancy: teenage drinking, lack of a sense of penalty, lack of family supervision and feckless or absent fathers. Many young girls who become pregnant have no contact with their own fathers.

I daresay some young people are still ignorant about sex education, but I have not encountered many. In most cases I was rather awed by how much they knew, and how uninhibited they were about such knowledge.

Yet the most important factor, in my judgment, is for the experts themselves to understand that as soon as there is early sexual activity, there will be pregnancies. Sex always leads to some pregnancies. And the younger — and the less reflective — those involved, the less capable they are of the care and planning required to prevent the consequences.

The latest Family Planning Association (now known as the fpa, perhaps because it is no longer either much about families or planning) pamphlet, once again seeks to remedy this problem: there are far too many very young pregnancies. The latest figures show another 1 per cent increase a year.

Within its own lights, the fpa attempts to be responsible by suggesting certain restraints. In Love, Sex, Relationships the booklet seeks to provide young people with the confidence not to rush into a sexualised relationship too early. Youngsters should ask themselves four questions before embarking on a physical sexual relationship: “Do you want to have sex (for you, not for someone else)? Do you like, trust, respect your partner? Are you prepared to take responsibility for having safer sex? Are you prepared for the possible emotional rollercoaster of rejection or break-up?”

The booklet — which is intended for use in schools for 13 to 16-year-olds — has been fiercely criticised for its added spicy elements on How to be Good at Sex, with instructions on how to perform oral sex and suchlike. It is seen by some critics — including the MPs Julie Kirkbride and Julian Brazier — as sexualising and encouraging the very young by talking primarily in terms of personal choice, rather than law and morality.

To be fair to the fpa, it does mention — and it should always be mentioned, because it is a helpful protection to many young people — that the legal age of consent is 16.

But the fpa’s tactic is to avoid “moralising” and “preaching” to the young, because, it believes, it will never get its message across in that way.

However, it has singularly failed to get its message across by being hip and trendy over the past 20 years. The Family Planning Association has been producing, and backing, liberal, choice-based sex education material for more than two decades. And for this period the pregnancy rate among very young teenagers has risen year on year.

How long does it take to grasp the key lesson of life’s learning curve: that if you keep doing the same thing, and you keep getting the same results, it is time to review your strategy?

I don’t take the view that the fpa is a wicked organisation which is setting out to subvert the morals of the nation. There are individuals in the fpa with perfectly decent motives: they want to empower individuals with knowledge, erase the Victorian legacy of sexual ignorance and help people to prevent unwelcome pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases.

But the gap in their thinking is not necessarily concerned with morality (for they have their own sense of morality) but a lack of understanding of nature, which clouds so much contemporary debate about sexual matters, including rape.

Sex, to some extent, is doing what comes naturally. As long as you seem to endorse doing this at a young age, the natural consequences will follow, and all the “family planning” in the world will not remedy the problem.

Only by discouraging, inhibiting or even penalising the onset of sexual activity until a more reflective age can you hope to halt the ever-growing number of mothers under 14.

The Times.

A lot of teenagers claim to know everything about sex when they don't. I had friends who didn't know that the withdrawal method didn't work. I've known others who didn't know the STDs can br contracted through touching and oral sex. Hell, there are some adults who still think that withdrawal is surefire way not to get pregnant.

It's been said in this thread before, pushing abstinence in America isn't working and when it comes to sex education, it's up to the student to act responsible. Sometimes, they don't and get pregnant. Again, a girl could be on the pill and use condoms but still get pregnant.

How about Catholic women who are sexually active (even though they're not supposed to be)? The church doesn't believe in contraceptives so what are they to do?? How can they not get pregnant when they're being told not to use pills, condoms or patches that prevent them from becoming pregnant?

Back