Politics Abstinence Course Faulty

It's already common knowledge that abstaining from sex and sexual activity is the 100% surefire way not to get pregnant and contracting an STD. It's like if you don't want to get hit by a moving vehicle don't step in front of one.

Some middle schoolers are experimenting with sex and sexual acts, is it too young? Yes, but is it right to tell them incorrect information about contraceptives, and that they should be "preapred to die" if they have sex before marriage and push abstinence even though some of them are not practicing it? No, it isn't. Correct information about abstience AND contraceptives should be taught but it obviously isn't here in America.

noggi16 said:
So when your a parent you want your 13 year old son or daughter having sex.

No way on earth. 13 year old need to be told. Its not just ok to wait, its the right thing to do. 13 year olds are not adult enough to be having sex. And thats the bottom line. We need stronger emphasis on that and not on being "liberal"
[post="1387333"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Ha! If being liberal is correlated to having sex, then I should be... a sl**. 'Cause I swing way to the left on the political scale (as we all know).

Too bad I'm a virgin. :mellow:

If I become a parent, I sure as heck wouldn't want my 13 yr old having sex... I definitely wouldn't promote it. HOWEVER, I would rather my 13 yr old be honest and tell me if he/she is having sex than hiding it from me. Then I can direct him/her to Planned Parenthood and explain birth control and STDs. Telling your child that they will go to hell for having sex at such an early age, or that they will die if they have sex, will NOT make him/her want to be honest and tell you about their sexual activity.

I had my first boyfriend when I was 16... my mom just kind of asked me one day if I needed birth control pills. She didn't make a big deal about it, we were actually eating dinner. I choked a bit on my food when she asked me though. :lol:

:lol: Something similiar happened to my friend except it was during lunch when her mother told her not to have sex until marriage. lol Then later that day during dinner, randomly her mother blurted out that it was ok for ehr to have sex marriage as long as she wa sin love and safe...she said this right in front of her father and sister :lol: My friend's dad got really quiet and excused himself from the table lol

Existentialist said:
Ha! If being liberal is correlated to having sex, then I should be... a sl**. 'Cause I swing way to the left on the political scale (as we all know).

Too bad I'm a virgin. :mellow:

If I become a parent, I sure as heck wouldn't want my 13 yr old having sex... I definitely wouldn't promote it. HOWEVER, I would rather my 13 yr old be honest and tell me if he/she is having sex than hiding it from me. Then I can direct him/her to Planned Parenthood and explain birth control and STDs. Telling your child that they will go to hell for having sex at such an early age, or that they will die if they have sex, will NOT make him/her want to be honest and tell you about their sexual activity.

I had my first boyfriend when I was 16... my mom just kind of asked me one day if I needed birth control pills. She didn't make a big deal about it, we were actually eating dinner. I choked a bit on my food when she asked me though.  :lol:
[post="1388006"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Completely agree hun! If being a liberal means having sex...then I'm a sl**, because I'm pretty much as far left as you can get without falling off the edge :lol:

But I am also a virgin ^_^

Of course no one wants their child having sex at a young age but it happens. I'd rather my kids, if they did have sex in their middle to high school years, be informed on ways to protect themselves then be fed lines like they were going to hell or it was bad or things like that. Sure I'd rather they abstain, but it might not happen that way no matter what they are taught, and I would much rather have them doing it safely then run the risk of them getting an STD or pregnant.

And as for the birth control talk, it just happened to me a couple of months ago. I came home from school for the weekend and she was talking about how next year my boyfriend is going to school where I am and how he'll have an apartment up there...then out of the blue while I ate my chicken salad she said, "So you want me to make an appointment to get you birth control?" I did choke on my food quite a bit. I told her no, that we weren't having sex and weren't really planning on it anytime soon. She shrugged and said "Well if you need it, let me know." It was rather amusing...at least it was just the two of us though. :lol:

Today I was watching "The View" and they had a married Catholic couple with 15 children and the 16th is on the way. Here's the part that :blink: me, well other than the 15 kids lol For the the first four years of marriage the wife was on birth control she said the show that she didn't know that it was still possible to get pregnant and this is coming from a married woman. I mean, I would at least think that she would have asked her physician the effectiveness of birth control instead of automatically assuming that it was a surefire way not to get pregnant. See, married adults can be misinformed to when it comes to contraceptives ;)

While on the pill she got pregnant and miscarried. She said that after the miscarriage she studied her bible and it said that children are gifts from God. So, she went off the pill and the result is 15 kids and the 16th is on the way. And she said that she wants more :blink: Although it was easy to tell that she ran a tight ship because the kids were all well behaved during the interview. Thank God her and her husband have well paying jobs.

Although, what I don't understand is she studied her bible but didn't do research on birth control before going on it..interesting

Because she is a christian. I don't know any one with that many kids although my cousins are one of four, my parents both one of three and I know 7 people that are one of six. I'm the only only child out of all of my friends.

Obviously, since I wrote that they were a Catholic couple in my post. Religious or not I would think any woman would do some research before putting any kind of medication in her body, especially the effectiveness of it.

Why would she, a doctor gave them to her, when my doctor gives me something i take it. after all shes been to medical school, i've not

The thing is I don't think the doctor explained the effectiveness of the pill to her or maybe she herself assumed that the pill was 100% effective when it's common knowledge that it isn't. From the way that she spoke in the interview, I don't think she asked, she assumed. If for some reason her physician said that the pill would definitely prevent her from getting pregnant then it is her doctor's fault. Then again, I don't know why a physician would give their patient false information in the first place, especially concerning medication.

noggi16 said:
Why would she, a doctor gave them to her, when my doctor gives me something i take it. after all shes been to medical school, i've not
[post="1403331"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Really? :blink:

I always like to know what I'm taking whether my doctor has told me all the risks or not. I think it's also my responsibility to know exactly what I'm putting into my body and what it's doing.

noggi16 said:
[post="1403331"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

But the Pill comes with a little booklet of instructions, since it's very important when you take it. I read the little booklet... it lists all possible side effects, how it's not completely effective, to use a condom when having sex even when on the pill, etc etc.

Plus, every time the doctor gives me some sort of medication, I get on webmd.com and research it... I mean, yeah, the doctor gave it to me, but I want to know what I'm putting into my body.

So, I'm assuming that the mother of 16 kids completely ignored the booklet. Personally, If my doctor gave me medication I'd ask a lot of questions like the effectiveness and side effects, perhaps that's just me... :confused:

it shouldn't only be left to schools to teach about all this...the parents need to educate themselfs and teach their child because we do listen to them even sometimes if it doesn't look like it...tell them to make the right choice for themselfs and if they are ready for all that comes with having sex or what they need to have safe sex.....its a personal choice..it shouldn't be forced upon someone...and i made the CHOICE to wait...not be force to make a choice....but i also educate myself about health things as dipo,pill,patch...so i know for myself and if a friend needs advice....i give them my advice, so they can look into it.

agent hidden eyes said:
it shouldn't only be left to schools to teach about all this...the parents need to educate themselfs and teach their child because we do listen to them even sometimes if it doesn't look like it...tell them to make the right choice for themselfs and if they are ready for all that comes with having sex or what they need to have safe sex.....its a personal choice..it shouldn't be forced upon someone...and i made the CHOICE to wait...not be force to make a choice....but i also educate myself about health things as dipo,pill,patch...so i know for myself and if a friend needs advice....i give them my advice, so they can look into it.
[post="1406096"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I agree. But many parents want you to abstain no matter what and will not entertain the idea of having sex, even when protection is used.

I think it's a shame that schools can't be a place where both sides of the aisle are taught.

My parents never really had a conversation with my sisters and I about sex. THe same goes for my cousins, and we're all girls lol If anything the only thing my mother and aunt said is don't have it, and they were really strict when it came to dating. So, my sister and my cousin rebeled by having sex. They were both about contraceptives because the high schools they went to did inform them. While their parents didn't and only pushed abstinence.

i think its kinda selfish to not give your child a choice....they shouldn't be like that...they should think what they were doing when they were their child's age...if the parents still contuine to act like that..when the only person its left to take care of yourself is yourself...learn all you can...even if your parents don't see eye to eye with you

Yes, and you must understand my parents and my aunt and uncle forbidden my older sister and cousin NOT to date until they were 18!! Neither of them lived up to that rule. It is hypocritical because my other and aunt met their future husband before they were 18 and dated them as well. Ultimately, the decision is really up to the individual and I think it's wise that they are properly informed about abstience and contraception before deciding what they want to do.

Back