Book Discussion

ugh... I hate hate hate The Cay. I didn't like it to begin with, and those response to literature worksheets we were forced to do didn't help too much. ^_^

ah, the other America. sounds pretty disturbing. you know, I like to read fluffy stories, about pretty things, more than ugly, nitty-gritty fiction. :D

but if you ever get through it, it might be an interesting thing to analyze. what's the overall message?

by whom? may i ask?

If you're asking about Last Exit to Brooklyn, it is by Hubert Selby Jr, who also wrote Requiem for a Dream. And btvaughn, it was written in 1964... so it is very realistic, which makes it even more sad. The overall message, I think, is that one can find beauty in even the most pity-able (I think I just made up that word...) situations. But you don't really get it until the end of the last vignette... which I cheated and read. Something like that.

thanks Leah, and btw feel free to call me bridget!

But the story actually does sound interesting. I've always wanted to read a realistic book.

btvaughn said:
I try not to, really I do, but sometimes I'll just "skim" ahead to the good parts! lol
LMAO! I DO THAT TOO! especially with books i have already read or if im reading a book for the first time and its really interesting i'll go read the last two lines or such(a habit that i find very hard to break! ^_^ )

like in anthem i read the scared word before i knew there was a scared word!LOL and read the whole fire ant part in pw before that happened!LMAO! ^_^

I know, I'll try not to read the last few sentences, but I can't help it. Then I know what happens and I'm so mad at myself! But it's a bigger problem with mysteries, but since I'm not much of a fan of those, I just spoil everything else!

let's see, I need more books to read!!

yesterday I read Breakfast At Tiffany's, and this morning I just finished Girl, Interrupted.

both were excellent, but I enjoyed Girl, Interrupted more. ^_^

Sometimes I read just the last sentence of a book before I finish it. Like, I read the last sentence to the Fountainhead before I was even like halfway through. I had NO clue what it meant though... and of course, I'm still kinda fuzzy. :lol: Usually I don't understand it, so it's kind of fun to read the rest and then be like "ohh THAT's what they meant by that!"

Anyone read The Stranger, by Camus?

no ihavent, can you tell us about it? i may read it!lol
and i know what you mean about reading ahead! especially with mysteries, i dont like suprises well and im not pateint at all!!!!not at all!

woohoo!! i'm done with school!! which means tons of summer reading ahead of me!! yaaay!!

i have to ease into it with fluffy books first though. my brain just doesn't have the energy to get into something like the da vinci code. :D

Back