Book Discussion

lol...fluffy books can be lots of fun! But I like Breathing Lessons right now...oh so good! (but it's one of those, you either like it or don't like her style of writing).

The Devil Wears Prada is a GREAT fluff book! It was sooo funny.

I think I'm going to Borders tmo to see Josh Kelley perform... and I might just buy the first of the Shopaholic books while I'm there. I need to celebrate my As on both my finals. :D

The Stranger by Albert Camus, one of the big french existential guys... he belongs in the same group as Beauvoir and Jean-Paul Sartre. I read this book in french class first, and then in my AP english class senior year. It's about this guy who lives a very blase life, who somehow gets entangled in this murder, and he's actually accused of the murder. It's Camus' exploration into what he called "the nakedness of man faced with the absurd." I liked it, but a lot of my classmates didn't... and it's definately not fluff. It makes you think.

alias_fan said:
i saw that book in a book store. what's breathing lessons about?
Well, it's about a middle-aged, but kind of older woman, and her family. She's going to a funeral with her husband and throughout the story, there are lots of flashbacks about her children (took me a while to figure which ones they were) and her son's wife and the story of that relationship. The back of the book talks about how they discover their ordinary lives aren't that ordinary.....I didn't notice any of that. Except when Maggie (the main character) realizes she's living in a circle.
She and her husband, Ira, make lots of stops....showing the readers the kind of relationship they have and the past they've been through and the present they are about to go through....

That was a terrible description, but I just finished it and I loved it!

LightTraveller said:
.by the way i like agatha christie her books are good(alias fan)
yay!!! another agatha christie fan!

thanks bridget for the description. i read the back of the book and was a little confused. you explained everything a little better.

lol...don't kid me, my description was terrible! I tried though, the concept of the story is quite interesting. Turning a middle class family, into one with amazing problems.

i read the first two pages(at borders when buying!) and i really enjoyed those, i want to continue to read it! i think i may just hold off on mortals becuase its just...i dont know...its good but not, i cant get into the style of writing and the characters.

Mortals....I'll have to put that on my list to try and read.....but I hope you like Breathing Lessons....I just finished it and I thought the concept of the story was quite amazing....though there is a chance you might not like it...but it's all in your court now!

its in my court:king: yah!lmao! and i hope i like it too and i hope you like mortals as well, i am only 100 pages in, its over 700! long book and it is just getting into the whole spy scene(getting cooler!hehehe!)

UGH! stupid ppl! cant they just levae all the new good books on the shelves!(and i like to buy books rather than loan because if its good i want to have it and read it anytime i want to!)

really that's totally opposite of me! i'd rather loan because i don't see the point of buying a book i'll probably only read once and then move on to another book. of course there are the few that i will read over and over again but other than those i don't really see a point in buying them...unless of course the library doesn't have it.

I don't know how you afford so many books Vic...it's crazy! But I do love being able to buy a good one once in a while....like I bought PW....and I love it!

Back