Guns in Schools

Hibou

Cadet
Today someone brought a loaded handgun to my school. It's pretty scary...it's even scarier that everyone is like "oh, wow." like it's nothing big. I think we're all desensitized to school violence. Has anyone else's school had experiences with this?

The other experience my school had last year was someone put razor blades in two of the dessert cups in the lunch line...It's so sick that people can do this!

Seriously, guns? And no one even stopped to wonder why the kid brought the gun to school in the first place? That's pretty terrifying.

The worst I ever had in my high school was two girls getting into a fight with exacto-knives. They got arrested and suspended.

There was also a bomb threat one time, which everyone thought was only a fire alarm because of how often it's pulled. It ended up being nothing. But, alot of students got really upset over the mere thought of the school being rigged with bombs and went home. This loser was calling all of the high schools in the city creating false alarms.

:thinking: Well, I always carry a knife, and I did all through high school... Nobody but my close friends ever knew. I've never been in a fight, but I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I considered carrying a gun (since I'm very familiar confortable with them) but the consequences outweighed the benefit on that one. Nothing serious ever happened in my school, but after Columbine they just over-reacted. We weren't allowed to wear backpacks, etc. Luckily I graduated soon after and missed their installation of security cameras and auto-locking doors. All that my school ever got were threats.. so we'd evacuate for a few hours.. and go back. It was quite ridiculous really. I mean, if someone really wanted to bomb the school, they would just call in a threat, but put the bomb at the evacuation point.. since it's been the same location for years :rolleyes: Genius I tell you :P

omg u carried a knife to school?! do you really feel that unsafe?! do you live in a big city or somethin?!

anyway i live in farm country so no real thread there... altho we do have nuclear power plants.. anyway... we had a few bomb threats esepcially after 9/11 but nothing too major...

Today we were dismissed two hours early because of "threats made in relation to the incident that happened yesterday," according to our principal

GOD!

UncoveringAlias said:
Today we were dismissed two hours early because of "threats made in relation to the incident that happened yesterday," according to our principal

GOD!
[post="1116001"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

omg thats horrible!

SkyGirl5 said:
omg u carried a knife to school?!  do you really feel that unsafe?!  do you live in a big city or somethin?!
[post="1115994"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
No, I didn't feel unsafe at all really. For most people (ie: not gang members or suicidal teenagers), carrying a knife or gun is something you do just 'in case' a situation arrises, not because you're planning on using it. As for the city, nope.. it was a relatively small town. There were only about 600 students in my high school, and I graduated with a class of 98 people. :confused:

Oh, yeah, they released a press release about what happened today. Some threats toward certain students, and they weren't sure if it was a hoax or not...

aliasundercover said:
No, I didn't feel unsafe at all really.  For most people (ie: not gang members or suicidal teenagers), carrying a knife or gun is something you do just 'in case' a situation arrises, not because you're planning on using it.  As for the city, nope.. it was a relatively small town.  There were only about 600 students in my high school, and I graduated with a class of 98 people.  :confused:
[post="1116327"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

uhhh i dont know what 'most people' your talking about but i dont know ANYONE that carries a kinfe... ok well yea i do know some ppl who have pocket knives but its more of a swiss army knife type thing
and when u say 'situation arises' do you mean like "oh felgercarb i need to cut this box open' or "oh felgercarb i need to stab the person thats attacking me' :confused:

WOW!!!
That's something that never happened to me in the schools I went. But I live in France and it's really hard to get a gun, so if you are young then it's almost impossible.
I'm not saying I live in the perfect country or something like that, it's just it's our culture to be against guns.
But we have drugs but not hard, just the "harmless" ones, even if all the drugs are dangerous and can kill you!!!
I don't know how you can go to school every morning knowing that someone might have a gun on him. I've seen the things that happened in the American schools : the shooting, the suicide... Are you affraid sometimes, or is it "normal" for you and you are use to it?

I'm not really worried at school. But i go to a pretty nice school. I know there are some pretty bad ones and i can imagine i'd be scared if i went to one of those.

This was really the first big even that has ocurred like this, so it was eye-opening. Like I don't go to school wondering if today will be like Columbine, but I do think of things sometimes. Like, I asses the fact that people can walk in through an unlocked door, stuff like that ;)

I go to a public school, which will obviously have more situations like this.

SkyGirl5 said:
uhhh i dont know what 'most people' your talking about but i dont know ANYONE that carries a kinfe... ok well yea i do know some ppl who have pocket knives but its more of a swiss army knife type thing
and when u say 'situation arises' do you mean like "oh felgercarb i need to cut this box open' or "oh felgercarb i need to stab the person thats attacking me'  :confused:
[post="1116598"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
LOL.. I didn't mean that MOST people carry knives or guns, I meant that MOST people that do aren't on a quest to hurt somebody. Personally, about 20% of the people I know carry a knife on them. Ranging from pocket to butterfly. I usually carry one that looks quite scary, it's like brass knuckles with a blade in the middle. Hard to explain. I never took that one to school though :lol: School.. I'd have like a pocket knife, but I had a butterfly knife on occasion. :thinking: Oh, and as for the 'situation arises' comment.. I'd say it relates to both. I use my knives to open stuff all the time, but I carry them for the purposes of defense. Actually, the funny thing is, my friends call my purse the " Bag O' Weapons " cause I usually have at least 3 knives in it (one is a pen knife, so you can't see what it is), a stun gun, pepper spray, a baton, and handcuffs. But no, that's not the norm.. I'm a bit extreme with my weapons collection. One friend actually said, "If someone steals your purse, they'll bring it right back.. they won't want you hunting them down for it." ;)

aliasundercover said:
LOL.. I didn't mean that MOST people carry knives or guns, I meant that MOST people that do aren't on a quest to hurt somebody.  Personally, about 20% of the people I know carry a knife on them.  Ranging from pocket to butterfly.  I usually carry one that looks quite scary, it's like brass knuckles with a blade in the middle.  Hard to explain.  I never took that one to school though  :lol: School.. I'd have like a pocket knife, but I had a butterfly knife on occasion. :thinking: Oh, and as for the 'situation arises' comment.. I'd say it relates to both.  I use my knives to open stuff all the time, but I carry them for the purposes of defense.  Actually, the funny thing is, my friends call my purse the " Bag O' Weapons " cause I usually have at least 3 knives in it (one is a pen knife, so you can't see what it is), a stun gun, pepper spray, a baton, and handcuffs.  But no, that's not the norm.. I'm a bit extreme with my weapons collection.  One friend actually said, "If someone steals your purse, they'll bring it right back.. they won't want you hunting them down for it."  ;)
[post="1117017"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

If security at my school found a student carrying a knife or something, we'd probably be expelled. LAUSD, my school district, has a zero tolerance policy, I believe.

We've had bomb threats & such in the past at my school. & earlier this year, maybe a month or 2 ago, there were some really bad racial fights. Some teacher called 911 & kids (& a teacher, accidently) were peppersprayed. & since there were rumors of a shootout by the groups, after 2 previous fights, a lot of kids didn't show up on the day it was rumored to happen. & parents were coming to the school to take their kids out. Some of my friends' classes were half empty or so. & we had cops & lots & lots of security.

I'm not sure if a gun was ever brought to the school though. I can't remember.

& ashqua, to me, most of this is normal. In fact, I went to school the day of the rumored shooting as mentioned above, even though when the groups had said there would be another fight on a certain day, & it happened, & I wasn't even worried. If something was going to happen, something was going to happen.

--jenn :juggle

Back