LiveJournal Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
^
*sigh* i know. I was originally a Bangel, and was just so Bangel for sooo long.... but then i just couldnt resist the spuffy come end of season 5. They were just too good together to ignore. And i could honestly watch season 2 for the rest of my life, its that good.

And thanks! :hug:

Dear God Kelly, you have such a way with icons....no matter what you do, it always screams awesomeness.

I love them all, especially the "tease" one and the last!

oh man!!! Kelly!! :thud: I'm in love with your icons! :love: It's Buffy :D :jump: *make the happy dance*

Could you tell us what fonts you used? please
do you add any effects? if so which one?
or do you only cut the picture so well? ^_^

Sophie said:
Could you tell us what fonts you used? please
do you add any effects? if so which one?
or do you only cut the picture so well?

Kelly should write a tutorial for her icons. *hint hint* she's so damn good. I love ya girl, you make me jealous and inspired at the same time. I can never get the picture to be colored in the same way.

^ (y) Agreeee! :hug: @ teh talented Miss Kelly. :D

32 Prison Break

lincv3.jpg
lincv2c.jpg
mikeinlivingcolor.jpg
greaterlovehathnone.jpg
lincsearching2b.jpg
lincsearchingb.jpg
paperwork.jpg
architect.jpg
lovesweat.jpg
lovesweat2.jpg
sadclown.jpg
sadclown2.jpg
momentoftruth2.jpg
saraplainandtall.jpg
kingofmydreams.jpg
reclining1.jpg
setmefree.jpg
cloudsgotinmyway.jpg
mean.jpg
lj.jpg
lj2.jpg
linclj.jpg
wewaitforyou.jpg
veronicarg.jpg
veronicarg2.jpg
veronicarginitial.jpg
abruzzi3.jpg
abruzzi3b.jpg
abruzzi4.jpg
abruzzi4b.jpg
abruzzi1.jpg

As you can see, I'm terrible at picking the right version of each attempt... For the first two, I actually had about 6 versions! Thankfully I was able to narrow it down to two. :D

Awwwwww. You guys are so sweet to me. I love you all. :hug: And you want a tutorial?? YOURE GETTING A TUTORIAL!
Ok, what ill do is this. Ill get some icons from the last batch that i saved the psp file to, and do it to them. When i do it, youll see how easy it is. Really!! Then ill post it back in here.

Sophie, for your question, the fonts i used for that batch were mainly 28 days later, base 02, Haettenschweiler, Courier New..... i think thats about it. And i dont often use effects. Sometimes i do use icon textures, but mainly i use gradients. I very very rarely use brushes on icons. Anyway, youll see how i do it when i post the tutorial :smiley:

Les, i LOVE the 4th and 9th ones! Very cool cropping and colouring.

Thanks again guys. :hug::hug:

Mokay, ill do one now, because procratination is your friend.
In todays lesson, we will be learning how to make this icon.
icon567.png

I chose this one because i like it, it shows how simple it is, and i couldnt find the psp file of another one so... yeah.

First, i resise the screencap (here) so the height is 100 pixels. I then copy and paste it onto a blank 100x100 canvas. This is where i crop. Cropping is so important. Without it, an icon is not an icon!!! Fiddle around with it. Move the cap to different places on the canvas. Keep the focus of the icon away from the centre of the canvas Use the edges.
I ended up with the cropping you can see above.
I then duplicated the screencap layer, and set it to screen. I did this 3 times, setting all three duplicated layers to screen. (Note: I dont always do this. Usually i set the top layer to softlight, but this icon was fairly dark as it was, so i didnt bother this time).
The top screen layer i desaturated 100%. I always do this. If you have a dark icon, or an icon that had lots of red in it, when you set the top layer to softlight, it turns the icon really red in colour, and i dont like it. By desaturating a screened layer, it takes away the redness, and gives it softer tones.
OK, so ive done my image prep. Now onto the colouring.
I create a new layer above all other layers, and floodfill it with this gradient, by crumblingwalls:
Image4.png

I set this layer to burn at 100%

I create a new layer, set it to burn at 68%, and floodfill with this gradient, also by crumblingwalls:
Image5.png

I then add text using the font Base 02, add some tiny text (arial at 1px) and finito!! She is finished!!

Your layers should look like this:

7) Text layer.
6) Gradient- Burn 68%
5) Gradient- Burn 100%
4) Duplicated screencap- Screen, desaturated
3) Duplicated screencap- Screen
2) Duplicated screencap- Screen
1) Screencap

Its so easy yeah? Keep in mind that my image preparation (screened layers and such) differs for each screencap, as each screencap has different lighting, colouring etc. Just play around with the screen and softlight layers until you get a nicely coloured and contrasty pic. If its too orangy, desaturate a screened layer. If not, just leave it as it is. The colouring changes for each icon depending on the screencap also. I used 2 burn layers for this one because it worked for the screencap, but with others i may use gradients set to overlay, softlight and burn, or just overlay, softlight and overlay etc. I mainly use burn, overlay and softlight for my colour layers though.
As for text, just play around. I get all my fonts from DaFont. Choose interesting looking ones. Interesting fonts will make your icon interesting. Try to place your text in open spaces, so it doesnt obscure the picture. When picking a colour for your fonts, use colours already in the icon using the colour picker. It just makes it seem more... intricated... or something.
Any other questions? feel free to ask!
I hope this helped :smiley:

7 new icons!

Here are the two CP icons I removed from a post I made a few days ago... (the challenge's over now lol)
cp5.jpg
cp4.jpg

running.jpg
question.jpg
pretty.jpg
dismay.jpg
concious.jpg

Credits: colorfilter, alias-media, leo.

As for number 4... umm... don't ask how I got the question mark from lol. Do some of my icons look to Kell-ish to you? I dunno... I think it's the coloring... and the overlay layers... I think I'm too obsessed with Kelly's icons... :Ponder:

thank you thank you thank you Kelly ^_^ *hug*
You should definitely add it to your website ;)
I'm going to try later :P

@Ethan: The 1st lost icon is just so pop-arty!

@Tuulia: SGA!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!! :woot:

*ahem* I'll post mine a bit later. I was working on them last night but staying up until 2am on a school night is a wee stupid. -_-

Nothing much, just three quick Sydney icons, Season 1 style. Because nothing says good times like Alias S1. :cool:

Font: dafont
Textures: _twilighticons_ @ lj
Brushes: Leo, Fredd Wings, & Simply Brush (also mucho thanks to Vered's Brush Search Engine!)
Lyrics: Coldplay, "White Shadow"
Pics: _jems @ lj

@meg: #2 is incredible!

Semi-inspired by Tuulia. Credit to colorfilter (textures) and Atlantica (pics).

For the first two, I can't decide which one looks better. ^_^
3 SGA
3 Torri Higginson
1 Lena Olin

hiskiss1.png
hiskiss2.png
torriluv1.png
torriluv2.png
torriluv3.png
lenaweee.png
weir.png

Status