Nascar

karlee said:
i just barly got in To Nascar! jeez people I decide too read this thread and now I am hooked! I am still working on the names of the drivers! :blush:
Welcome to the thread, karlee. Don't worry it took me some time to learn all or most of the drivers, crew chiefs, pit crew, owners names. There's so much information to digest. And you're always learning, too.

Do you have a favorite driver yet?

Hello Karlee and welcome to the place where all NASCAR lovers come to share what is on there minds. OK that was kind of cheesy, but I'm from Wisconsin, and you know how us Wisconsiners love cheese! Anywho I can start counting down the days until the first NEXTEL CUP NASCAR race! And theres only like 46 or 47 days right??? I think so.

Hey were did all of the people go?? There was like two other people who posted here in the past two days and now there gone, back to the old days just me and you.

I think it's 44 days until the 500. But before that we have the Bud Shootout. That should be Sat. Feb. 7th. Either that or the 8th. At least I have the NFL playoffs to watch until the Cup season starts. Watch out for that 24 car this year.

Alias*Kelli said:
Hey were did all of the people go?? There was like two other people who posted here in the past two days and now there gone, back to the old days just me and you.
Hmm, I'm sure they'll be back posting in here.

And yes, the Bud Shootout is on February 7th with the Twin 125s on February 12th.

And don't forget there's a new aero package this year. The downforce in the rear will be decreased and should make for better racing for the fans, but harder to handle for the drivers.

Alias*Kelli said:
Thats good I really like the bud shootout. It gives you a little preview of whats to come.
Me too. Night racing is very cool. And it's a non-points event so that means the drivers can let it all hang out and go for it.

It seems like this is official. NASCAR will be adopting a playoff points system. It isn't a formal announcement yet, expect it soon, but that's what nascar.com said today. I'm coming around to it, but NASCAR should and will educate us more about it.

I checked Nascar.com today and must have overlooked it because I was looking for it. Please post an idea of what it is. A woman at my office was explaining what she thought it was today and I just can't believe she's right. She said they will run the usual 36 races, take the top 10 in points after those races and then have 1 race with those 10. The winner would be the champion for the year. Can that be right? I cannot see how it could be. Please post what you've heard because I have all of these scenerios running through my head that just would not be a fair way to crown a champion.

Sorry I haven't been here for a while, I have basketball after school so that cuts my computer time down a lot. I think that the new system would change things way too much! I mean look at it this year Kurt fell out of the top ten in the last two weeks and it was interesting to see who would get that final top 10 spot.

I just feel that that the top ten changes a lot and even more when there are less and less races left. Yeah I know that someone who is 11 wont make it to first in just ten races, but they should get a fair chance at the top ten. I just read what they posted over at NASCAR.com and another thing that I don't like is that everyones points get rest to a new number. If the fist place driver is leading the 2nd by a lot all that hard work gets taken down a lot. I know I just kept going on and on and on and on, but I feel strongly that they should keep things the way they have been. Most times change is a good thing, but I don't think so this time!

This is the link to the story on nascar.com: http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/headlines/...2004/index.html

And this was on Jayski's site: (A great site for rumors, etc.): Home - Jayski's NASCAR Silly Season Site

NASCAR official confirms changes in points system, while the exact format was NOT announced, some changes announced that are coming include: a "playoff formet", a possible wild card for the 'playoffs', more points for the race winners, no points for a pole sitter [boo], still drivers and owners points, for playoffs drivers will NOT go back to zero points, and higher minimum speeds to stay in the race. As an added incentive for the drivers not in the playoffs over the final 10 races -- if winning a race weren't enough -- NASCAR will create an award for the highest finishing driver out of the playoffs and will recognize him at the Awards Banquet in New York. See updates and news from different sources on my NASCAR News page.(1-8-2004)

Flames24: Thanks for posting the link. They are making a terrible mistake. For years and years, all you have heard from NASCAR is them defending their points system by saying it rewards the most consistent driver for the year. And they were right about that. There is nothing wrong with that system. And now they go and totally reverse what they have said by now saying that people lost interest late last year because Kennseth had such a huge lead. I totally disagree with that. I was glued to the TV every weekend to see if Kennseth would have engine trouble or if got caught up in an accident and to see if Jeff Gordon or Jimmie Johnson could cut into that points lead. So now because of one year when a driver has a big lead (which he earned and deserved, and I am not a Kennseth fan) the NASCAR top idiots think everything needs to be changed. How quickly they forget. Just take a look at the previous 10 years. In the vast majority of those years, at least 2 if not 3 drivers had a shot at the championship when the final race of the year arrived. And because of one year, they want to change everything and implement a "playoff" system. I can't believe they're going to be that dumb.

You're welcome. Kenseth did have one great year and the system rewards consistency which he truly had and thus, won the championship. Newman, on the other hand, had wins, but the bobbles he had in the season took him out of the championship. I would much rather have consistency winning championships than winning more and finishing 30th 5 times win championships.

If NASCAR had that playoff system in place last year, Johnson would have been the champion with Kenseth finishing 11th. And Jeff would have still ended up 4th. I found that out in NASCAR Scene.

I agree. I don't care if you win 15 races, if you finish in the toilet in 15 other ones, you don't deserve to be called the champion when someone else might only win 2 but has an average finish in the top 10. I also heard that fact from a friend that if this system were in place last year, Kennseth would have finished 11th. Now, I'm all for Jimmie Johnson (even more for Jeff Gordon) winning the title but he was only the 2nd best driver last year. It would be a shame for this new format to take the championship away from someone who really does deserve it for their performance throughout the entire season. This really frustrates me.

Back