NASCAR

So who do you think will win this last race? What about the championship?

I'm a Kasey Kahne fan so I hope he wins the race. I want Jimmie Johnson to win the championship. :smiley:

Well, the 24 and 48 did all they could today. Great runs for both. They did what they had to do. You have to get a little lucky along the way to win one of these championships, and Busch was fortunate a couple of times today.
Jeff and Jimmie had great seasons but I really feel bad for Jeff Gordon. Although Kansas certainly didn't help him in his pursuit for the Cup, I still firmly believe that Talladega cost him the championship. He was on his way to probably a top 5 finish, top 10 at the very least, and then no one, and I mean no one, would draft with him. And he just kept drifting back. The points that he lost in those few laps cost him the Cup. I can't imagine how he feels because I know he's smart enough to know that seasons like this, so close to a championship, aren't guaranteed. They don't come around every year. You're not automatically handed an opportunity to win a title. Great seasons, 24 and 48.
The Drive For 5 in 2005 starts Monday morning. 90 couple days to Daytona. Can't wait.

It was a great year for the 24 and the 48 teams. Of course I'm disappointed that Jeff didn't win the championship. The lapped car of the 01, I think, killed Jeff's momentum and cost him the win and more than likely the championship, too. But that flat tire didn't help much either.

There were way too many cautions in that race.

Well, like you said the Drive For Five In 2005 begins!

If the previous Winston Cup points system was still in use, which I still think it should be, Jeff Gordon would have won his 5th Championship by 47 points over Jimmie Johnson. Flames24, if you're like me, upon hearing that news you won't sleep well for a month.

Yeah, I didn't take that news too well either. Ouch.

But if you wanna read how Jeff puts it in perspective, read this:

"You race the points the way that they're structured," Gordon said. "It doesn't matter if they change it again next year and the year after that. What may have happened under a different point structure really isn't important.

"If the point system paid for consistency and the best average finish, then that's how you race. This certainly has changed things a lot on how you race these last 10 races. It's impressed me more than I thought I would. It's tense for all the guys who are a part of it.

"This is probably one of the most difficult championships I've ever been a part of. Every week the points are changing. You really have to race for wins or top fives every single weekend. If you have a bad finish, you'd better bounce back and have something good happen.

"In the old scenarios -- even when it was a tight points battle, you were just trying to get your finishes and your consistency in there. This certainly isn't the case. I'm really not looking back on what could have been with the old system."

Still hurts though.

Back