NBA 2004-2005 Season

I just saw the replay of that brawl on ESPN. Wow...that was crazy. And very unecessary. There's no excuse for any of that to happen. Those players should definitely be suspended. And a few arrests should be made as well.

I don't normally post over here, but since SD-1 is down and I don't have anywhere to talk about my basketball love, I hope you don't mind if I post here.

About yesterday's Pistons-Pacers game,
I'm extremely dissapointed in everyone invovled. Ben Wallace for going after Artest after a non-flagrant foul. Refs for not breaking up the fight as quickly as they should have. Artest for charging the stands and punching fans. The fan who threw the cup of beer after things had already calmed down a bit. The other fans who took sucker punches at the players. Stephen Jackson, for going into the stands and punching people that may or may not have been involved. Security, for not controlling the crowds and for letting fans get on the court. Jermaine O'Neal for punching the fan who went after Artest. Although Jackson and O'Neal were standing up for Artest and you should be loyal to a teammate, it doesn't give you a right to punch someone who might not have been involved. As a high school athlete, these athletes are supposedly people I would look up to. There were kids in the stands that night. You can see a child standing near the fight visibly shaken and crying. Would this show them that violence and retaliation is the answer when you are provoked? Wouldn't this put fear in them and not want to go to games? I applaud Commissioner Stern for quickly handing out indefinite suspensions to the main instigators of the fight. I hope that this is resolved and handled as peacefully, justly, and quickly as possible.

Put in spoiler tags since some people might not want to read my semi-rant.

I think Ron Artest should be arrested, they should file charges and arrest everyone involved in the fights, end of story. These people are professionals, you don't go into the stands under any occasion. I don't care if you make a million dollars to play, if any of us did that, we'd be in jail.

I was thinking the same thing. Both sides were wrong. But, I mean, if someone threw a beer in my face, I dunno how much I could hold back, you know? In no way am I defending Artest cause he's probably one of my least favorite people on earth, but I know I would have a hard time containing myself. I know these dudes are making tons of money, but just think, as a person, if someone threw a beer in your face, how are you gonna react?

Did Artest even attack the right guy?? I thought I heard someone say that the guy he first punched wasn't even the guy that threw the beer. That fight was so crazy. I mean, there were so many people throwing punches.

And those Pistons fans were idiots. The ones trying to fight Artest on the court. C'mon, Artest is huge. I'm actually glad O'Neal knocked out that one fan. The dude came on the court and went right up to Artest. Idiots.

Yes, but it doesn't matter, all sides were wrong, but fans get out of hand everywhere. Still, the players are supposed to be professionals, regardless if they don't know how to hold back, they're not allowed to rush the stands. Plus, Artest just went around punching fans, you don't do that!

I really hope charges are filed. The NBA has to stop letting this stuff go and start cracking down. They should be expelled, not just suspended.

I really hope charges are filed. The NBA has to stop letting this stuff go and start cracking down. They should be expelled, not just suspended.

Yeah, me too. The players think they can get away with anything, or they think it will only be alittle suspension. This isn't little so they should be expelled.

It reminds of that fight between the Texas Rangers and Oakland fans. When one of the Rangers threw that chair and it hit that lady in the face.

Oh I agree, I wasn't trying to defend the players that rushed into the stands because of course that is wrong. But those two dudes that Artest punched came towards him on the court. The court is the players territory. Both of those guys were going at him. Again, it's wrong to go after fans, but I watched the replay about 10 times on ESPN and those guys had no right going on the court. Just like the players had no right going into the stands. Both sides were completely wrong.

I'm not trying to justify the actions of the players or the fans because both should be punished.

I hate Artest too, but I just don't think the whole situation was his fault.

But the guy didn't come at him to hit him, he was yelling at him, regardless of whether it's on the court or not, Artest did not have a right to punch him and then another teammate come over and punch the guy too. The court is not some higher ground or anything. You're saying you're not defending them but yet you seem to be.

At least suspend them for the rest of the season.

Well I guess I am defending them. I just don't think it was ALL the players faults. I'm not saying they don't need to be punished because they definitely do. I think they should be suspended and charges are gonna be pressed against them. The fans actions were just as bad as the players. They were horrible.

I'm not trying to argue with you so I'm just gonna drop it here. I more than respect your opinion.

On a funny note, I went to the Warriors game tonight and they had this minute long announcement on how fans are to not throw things on the court, it was amusing.

I am always the first person to criticize these overpaid sports players, but I will have to tell you that it was definitely the fans who caused the problem Friday night.
I do not see sports players as heros, just because they are good at whatever sport they play. But I will defend the players in this case, and that is coming from a Pistons fan and someone who lives in the Detroit area.

Maybe some of your views are based on the limited viewing of what happened. Here in the Detroit area we have seen the replay in great detail, not just the little clips that ESPN may have shown. ESPN makes it look like everything happened in like 2 mintues. It did not. Artest had been laying down for awhile and had calmed down, by the time a plastic bottle was thrown at him. It is usally reported that beer was thrown at him. It was not beer, it was a plastic bottle.

I don't blame him for reacting the way he did, when he was struck with a plastic bottle. It was a heat-of-the-moment reaction for him. The fans on the other hand, were jerks.

The idiot who came on the floor and got punched in the face, also deserved what he got. What the hell did he think he was doing? He looked to me to be someone who was looking for trouble, and he got it. Once a fan steps out onto the court, he is fair game. That player had no idea what that shorts*** was intending to do. He was just defending himself.

Also, something to keep in mind, when you blame Detroit. This did not happen in the Detroit that you maybe picturing. The Pistons play in a stadium called The Palace of Auburn Hills. The Palace is at least 20 miles north of any Detroit boarder. It is not even in the same county as Detroit. It is in Oakland County, which is considered to be one of the wealthiest counties in the country.

I am sure that not one of the fans involved in any of the bad behavior actually live in the City of Detroit.

Yes, it was wrong for Artest to have done what he did, especially because he attacked the wrong guy. But really, how many people would not have reacted the same way, given the circumstances? I think the punishment that was leveled at him was fair.

Also, it should be noted how many players didn't get involved, except to try and stop what was happening.

The fans were out of control, not the players.

Regarding the comments that the Piston/Pacer riot was the 'worst' sporting incident ever, I most point out soccer. I don't follow it (not that I follow any sport), but I've seen many clips of soccer riots. So before pointing fingers at this for being the worst, if we’re going world wide, don't leave out soccer fans.

How come boys can't have fun without beer? I'm sure that played a big part in what was going.

Well regardless of whose fault it was, I do think charges should be filed.

Also, something to keep in mind, when you blame Detroit. This did not happen in the Detroit that you maybe picturing. The Pistons play in a stadium called The Palace of Auburn Hills. The Palace is at least 20 miles north of any Detroit boarder. It is not even in the same county as Detroit. It is in Oakland County, which is considered to be one of the wealthiest counties in the country.

I am sure that not one of the fans involved in any of the bad behavior actually live in the City of Detroit.

I find that whole comment just funny. The Pistons are the DETROIT Pistons, the celebration after the Finals took place IN DETROIT. So now when the light's not shining on you guys, you're distancing yourself from the city of Detroit, that's just really silly if you ask me. They're not called the OAKLAND COUNTY PISTONS for crying out loud. They were DETROIT fans, let's face it and if people are blaming the fans for this brawl, they have to take responsibility for it. And you said the fans involved don't actually LIVE in the city of Detroit. While that may be true, they are still DETROIT fans. Look, I'm a Philly sports fan, I'm originally from South Jersey, directly over the bridge, but I get taunted because I'm a "Philly fan", that's fine, but I never actually LIVED inside the city. It doesn't make one ounce of difference, these were DETROIT FANS, no matter how much you try to distance yourself from it.

Geez, lighten up!!! You have completely misinterpreted what my intentions were for clarifying the difference in the physical location of where the fight occurred.

I was not distancing myself from the City of Detroit. I don't live in the City of Detroit. The people who live in the City of Detroit get a bum rap, a lot. I was just pointing out that the people who physically live in the City were not the ones who did this. That was my only intention.

The night the fight occurred, in the heart of the City of Detroit, there was peaceful celebration occurring, involving the opening of new park and the lighting of Christmas tree. That is what was happening Friday night in Detroit.

I just wanted to point out that physically this did not happen in the City of Detroit. These were not Detroiters. They were all from the suburbs of Detroit.

Yes they were Piston fans, but the Detroit Pistons have not played basketball in the City of Detroit in 16 years.

Okay first off, did I get rude with you? I don't need to be told to "lighten up" just because I interpreted your post differently. Second of all, I really don't think I misinterpreted it all. You were still saying "Oh these weren't people who live in the city of Detroit, there was other stuff going on in Detroit" That's FINE, but the Pistons are called the DETROIT Pistons, I didn't name them, I was just pointing that out. To the outside world, they do play in Detroit, people who don't know Michigan geography don't necessarily know that. If you don't like them being associated with the city of Detroit all of a sudden, well that's perfectly fine. The Washington Redskins play in Maryland, the New York Jets and Giants play in New Jersey, but when something happens it's "Oh, it's the Washington fans" or "Oh it's the New York fans" So it really makes little difference that they don't play in the exact location. Maybe they should re name the Pistons to the Michigan Pistons if they have absolutely no connection to the city of Detroit as you seem to portray.

Either way, the fans who were in the fights should be ashamed of themselves for representing Detroit's fans so awfully.

I can cut the tension with a knife in here. Hahaha.

I can't believe San Antonio scored 9 points in the 4th quarter today. That's pathetic.

I wish they had NBATV like MLBTV where you can watch every basketball game online for a monthly subscription. I did that for baseball, but they don't offer that for basketball. Atleast I don't think they do.

I just got home in time to see the brawl. I think Ron Artest and the fans are at fault. Artest overreacted to the cup being thrown at him. I think he charged the wrong fan too. Then the other fans who got into it deserved what they got. I'm glad Artest and O'Neal punched those fans. They deserve it for coming onto the court. Detroit fans are asses. I enjoyed seeing that part. I can't believe all the s*** they were throwing at the Pacers. Bunch of low class scum in Detroit. Those fans who were fighting deserve to be arrested and they will. Hey fools you got caught on tape!!! Busted. Now, Ben Wallace and the three Pacers players should be suspended for several games. Right now they are suspended indefinitely. I've watched the brawl so many times. Its sad to see it because of the children who are watching the game. That really hurt the NBA. I always thought they needed more security at the games. The players are way to close to the fans. Hopefully necessary changes will be made.

Back