NBA 2004-2005 Season

Go back and read your reply. Wasn't it an rude to say...,
I find that whole comment just funny.
Or at least as 'rude' as saying,
Geez, lighten up!!!
Then you went on to lecture me. You didn't simply say that you disagree and then list your reasons. Some of which I maybe inclined to agree with, to an extent. Instead you SHOUTED at me. Multiple times. Not only did you shout, but you did it in a self-righteous tone.

And they all deserved exactly what they got...David Stern really stepped up to the plate here...

Although you've gotta wonder how much this will hurt Artest considering he wanted time off to promote his rap album anyway :angry:

I gotta say Artest got what he deserved. He's not the first player to be taunted or have things thrown at him. As a professional, he's got to show some restraint. Also, it looks to me like he got the wrong guy. The guy he grabs clearly has a beer in his hand, so unless he had two or threw someone else's beer... Artest got the wrong guy. Not that I think he's the only bad guy in this. The fans have to take the blame too, especially the idiot who went onto the court. I personally think all involved are wrong, and I hope all are prosecuted for it, the players and the fans.

And it doesn't really matter where a fan is FROM, just who they're a fan of. Hell I'm a Lakers fan and I'm not from LA. Since I'm more of a college fan, anyway, 99% of UK fans are not from Lexington. A lot of UK fans aren't even from Kentucky. I don't think it really matters which particular city or state you happen to be from.

From a Herald-Leader article in today's paper, which I totally agree with
There is no justification for any athlete to go into the stands after fans, I don't care what the provocation is.

That said, the majority of the fans I observed on TV Friday night were not victims, they were perpetrators of mob violence.

Sure, Artest had no business rolling off that scorer's table to pound heads in the Palace stands; it was his actions that turned a bad situation into a riot.

However, he wouldn't have done so if some lunkhead hadn't thrown a cup of beer on top of him as he lay on his back.

Meanwhile, the fans that ran on the floor to rumble with the Pacers - including the fat guy who got decked by O'Neal - have zero right to complain about their treatment.

They were as out of place as the Pacers who went into the stands.

As someone who attends more ball games - at levels of sports ranging from high school to the NFL - than is healthy, two things constantly trouble me.

One, is the level of bad behavior that passes as acceptable among fans.

Nobody is saying a ball game has to be a cotillion - cheer your team; boo the other team; heck, boo your own coach and team, if you want.

But there should be lines.

The number of people who feel free to scream the most degrading, insulting thing at game officials, at opponents, even at their own team, never ceases to amaze.

This isn't heckling; it's pathological practice of hatred and it's getting worse.

Then there is the other major factor of life in the seats at modern American sporting events: Anger.

Fury is everywhere.

If sports is supposed to be fun, be our diversion from the concerns of the real world, why is everyone so angry?

Sure, ticket prices are outlandish and ever-rising; player salaries are obscene; many of the players, blessed with a gilded life, often seem like pampered ingrates; big-time college sports is a sham built on hypocrisy.

Still, why does that make it OKto treat participants in sporting events as if they are sub-human?

If you don't like the players, why go see them?

tippinlover said:
Although you've gotta wonder how much this will hurt Artest considering he wanted time off to promote his rap album anyway :angry:
[post="1075510"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I'm hoping his album goes over about as well as Allen Iverson's and Shaquille O'Neal's. :rolleyes:

Then you went on to lecture me. You didn't simply say that you disagree and then list your reasons. Some of which I maybe inclined to agree with, to an extent. Instead you SHOUTED at me. Multiple times. Not only did you shout, but you did it in a self-righteous tone.

I'm done arguing, I simply said I found the comment funny, it was not rude, you totally blew my post out of proportion and to say I shouted, you want to see shouting THIS IS SHOUTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And self rightous? Oh kay, don't know how you can tell a "tone" just by reading.

Whatever..and I don't think the suspensions were enough, maybe for Artest but not for O'Neal and Jackson.

The only part of the suspensions I don't agree with are that Jackson and O'Neal were not suspended for the season as well. Even though the fans were at fault as well, as a professional athlete, you must show restraint and those three players showed done. David Stern had some tough decisions to make, and he made them well.

I wanna see what kind of punishment the Detroit fans get, if any. I still can't get over the guys that went on the court and tried to fight Artest. That one dude deserved to get knocked in the face by O'Neal. He was lucky O'Neal slipped or else he would've gotten hit even harder. These guys are professional athletes. What in the hell are you thinking going on the court and trying to fight these guys? Idiots.

What I don't get is seeing all these people with full beers with 40 seconds left in the game. They don't stop selling beers at the beginning of the 4th quarter? I know in Oakland they do and at Giants games they stop in the 7th inning. Does anyone know what the rule is on that?

David Stern had some tough decisions to make, and he made them well.

Agreed! (y)

What I don't get is seeing all these people with full beers with 40 seconds left in the game. They don't stop selling beers at the beginning of the 4th quarter? I know in Oakland they do and at Giants games they stop in the 7th inning. Does anyone know what the rule is on that?

Most places stop selling beer in the second half of most sporting events (concerts too), I wondered that as well. They could have still been full from before they stopped selling them, I don't know. I'd be really suprised if that wasn't the case in Detroit, I'd guess it's a nationwide regulation, but I'm not sure.

As a Pistons fan living in the "metro Detroit area" I think its extremely sad to hear people think so negatively about Detroit fans. Yes, there were a few fans that were completly in the wrong and should face similar repercussions as the players but it was the Indiana players that I'm most disgusted with. A beer thrown at a player from the sidelines? Apalling. A player going into the stands to beat the felgercarb out of that fan? Even more appalling. 99.9% of Detroit fans don't suck. But the ones that do suck more than most. So a simple plea...don't hate on Detroit so much :D

It's sad but they do that everywhere, whenever something like this happens. Look at what happened during the ALCS when New York fans went balistic and the NYPD riot police had to come in, talk about crazy!

Yes it does happen everywhere so why is everyone so anxious to jump on the "Detroit fans suck" bandwagon when there are plenty of other teams who have fans misrepresent them? (that question is not directed at any one person, I purely curious.)

I find this one funny:

The Indiana Pacers were frightened when spectators began hurling chairs, drinks, and ice at them in one of the most violent exchanges between players and fans in U.S. sports history.

It was a Pacer who started the brawl, I don't think he has much right to complain.

babyfu said:
It was a Pacer who started the brawl, I don't think he has much right to complain.
[post="1077179"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

What about the other Pacers? The beer, ice, and chairs weren't all directed at Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson. Did you see when the were walking into the locker room? Some fans lined up on the sides and threw things at all of the Pacers.

Artest should be banned until he clears his act up. What he did was ridiculous. I knew he charged the wrong fan and he did. The fan who threw the cup is now all over tv giving interviews. Prick. He already has a criminal record. I hope he goes to jail again.

Anyways back to real basketball. Spurs have lost two in a row. Rockets are losing. Mavs lost last night. Damn. :(

Sark218 said:
What about the other Pacers? The beer, ice, and chairs weren't all directed at Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson. Did you see when the were walking into the locker room? Some fans lined up on the sides and threw things at all of the Pacers.
[post="1079055"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I have respect for those who didn't go up and fight back, but they have their teammate to blame for the brawl. And the fans who threw things, I think they should be banned from NBA games for life. Going to games isn't a God-given right, it's a privilege, and when you act like such complete and total idiots, you should lose that right. Also I think there should be jail time and/or fines for ALL involved, players and fans. There was no "right" in that situation, but NBA players get heckled and have stuff thrown at them often (and football players too, such as when the Cleveland Browns got pelted with beer bottles a couple of years ago). Artest made a bad situation worse. Had he kept his cool and ignored the whole thing, or quietly asked security to deal with it, that brawl wouldn't have happened. There was a big article in last night's Herald-Leader, written by someone from the Detroit Free Press about the NBA players and fans' distorted sense of "respect" that caused the whole thing. I agreed completely.

Respect

I just have to say: Go Bobcats!!!

They are actually not an embarassing expansion franchise, though those orange uniforms are on the verge of being embarassing, and borderline terrible...

Back